Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Progress that shields us from the terrors of an uncertain future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...rner-cable.html

comcast corp. has agreed to acquire time warner cable inc. for about $159 a share in an all-stock deal, combining the largest two u.s. cable companies, according to four people familiar with matter.

faster tubes soon, just wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

this thread...it was made for me

cool

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

nationalize telecommunications infrastructure

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

KING OF ASPERGERS

Misandrist Duck posted:

Afro Doug
Aug 10, 2007

im real gay

good cable vision has hyper local weather forecasts. soon they'll tell me the weather thats happening outside my house

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth.

lol. who even has cable anymore?

Wildlife Analysis
Jul 26, 2008

Monopolies are good guys

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Misandrist Duck posted:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

Rollout. Rollout! ROLLOUT! ROLLOUT!ROLLOUT! ROLLOUT!

Misandrist Duck posted:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Monopolies are good guys

Wayside Bazaar
Jun 30, 2008

Misandrist Duck posted:

fuck trophy 2k14
Jun 8, 2012

If you rub it, it will get stiff.

gently caress

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hail To The King

lmao we're doomed

ThaGrandCow
Nov 27, 2003

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

The optimist in me says that it'll get shut down like the AT&T/T-Mobile merger last year.

The pessimist in me laughs at that thought. Someone's already on the way to DC with an 18-wheeler full of money.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

and then the govt can tap it even more easily ugh the world is a vampire

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.

Misandrist Duck posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

loving horseshit. This is all a lead-up to abolishing unlimited usage and making people pay per GB of data and putting a bullet into Netflix's head.

Prettz
Sep 2, 2002

the internet will soon be over

if you're on at&t they'll have you paying by the packet to access things on comcast's network, and you can forget about overseas websites.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ThaGrandCow posted:

The optimist in me says that it'll get shut down like the AT&T/T-Mobile merger last year.

The pessimist in me laughs at that thought. Someone's already on the way to DC with an 18-wheeler full of money.

Yeah. Everyone on the fcc approval board or whatever is gonna get fancy new jobs at Comcast

quote:

FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker will leave her position with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in June to serve as senior vice president of government affairs with Comcast-NBC.

The news follows a high-profile, $30 billion merger of Comcast and NBC earlier this year, which gave Comcast 51 percent of the stake in NBCUniversal (NBCU) and ownership over the majority of the network's channels, including CNBC and Bravo, as well as the Universal Pictures movie studio. Baker voted to approve the merger.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

Rollout. Rollout! ROLLOUT! ROLLOUT!ROLLOUT! ROLLOUT!

Elder Postsman posted:

Yeah. Everyone on the fcc approval board or whatever is gonna get fancy new jobs at Comcast

how the gently caress is that legal? absolutely ridiculous.

Wildlife Analysis
Jul 26, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

It turns out that populating regulatory boards with people who are cozy with or former members of the industries they are supposed to regulate is a bad idea. Who could have ever seen this coming?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Blood rains down from an angry sky, my cock rages on, my cock rages on!

Welp looks like Google is our last best hope for freedom from the Comcast empire.

Feminition
Mar 14, 2008

To me,
my X-Men.

Feminition
Mar 14, 2008

To me,
my X-Men.

i have cox which has the best name so

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a real asshole about the stupidest shit

Miltank posted:

Our system of governance is corrupt as balls and rewards top-earners nigh-exclusively. i.e: The people benefiting directly from this kind-of bullshit get to decide if it's legal or not, so it's legal

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Welp looks like Google is our last best hope for freedom from the Comcast empire.

They've said they ain't rolling out Fiber nationwide because there's no infrastructure for it in most places, plus they never intended it to be a competitor in the first place (just a "wake up call" lol).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

AMERICA

LAND OF THE FEE

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Aww, so I had my slant on. Lay off me!

Feminition posted:

i have cox which has the best name so

"gently caress, Cox is down again." This is something we can say

Parallax Scroll
Nov 13, 2009

spiderman

cocks

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFFh9wA0A8

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Misandrist Duck posted:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

both companies suck poo poo so im looking forward to the new ways theyll find to suck poo poo in a more efficient manner

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

The internet as we know it has been living on borrowed time for a while now so we might as well enjoy it while we still can. Once the powers that be run the internet into the ground maybe we'll do something more productive with our horrible lives.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the black husserl posted:

both companies suck poo poo so im looking forward to the new ways theyll find to suck poo poo in a more efficient manner

Would you like to rent your modem for $11 a month?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Miltank posted:

comcast paid government officials to make it legal

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

spasticColon posted:

The internet as we know it has been living on borrowed time for a while now so we might as well enjoy it while we still can. Once the powers that be run the internet into the ground maybe we'll do something more productive with our horrible lives.

I too look forward to the continued rationalizing of our complex system of indentured servitude.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hailing frequencies

I've always loved Comcast. What a great company with a great variety of products and services!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ummmm....

mind the walrus posted:

They've said they ain't rolling out Fiber nationwide because there's no infrastructure for it in most places, plus they never intended it to be a competitor in the first place (just a "wake up call" lol).

Actually there is, Comcast and Time Warner own it in major markets. If Google were to pick up a divested Dallas market which seems incredibly reasonable for a merger (The FCC/FTC has shown themselves to be unreasonable in mergers) Google could probably convert a giant portion of one of the largest US media markets/metro areas in a reasonably short period of time, that would be one hell of a wake up call.

CaptainYesterday
Sep 14, 2011

The cock of the walk

If this means I get CSN Houston, I'm for it.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

GANBARE

TELL MY WIFE I LOVED HER

Well, it's time the real-world caught up with lovely dystopian sci-fi.

I for one look forward to the Shadowrun campaign that is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentative8e8op
Jul 25, 2011

wobble in my heart

quote:

Time Warner Cable had asked for $160 a share in its counterproposal to Charter.

Crusader posted:

comcast corp. has agreed to acquire time warner cable inc. for about $159 a share

heh

«4 »