Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

You're all hosed. Even if you don't use them as a provider. A company this large will have a lot of influence and Comcasts track record sucks balls.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tec....html?hpt=hp_t2

quote:

Comcast said Thursday it had agreed to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion in a deal that would combine the two biggest cable companies in the United States.

If the deal is approved, the combined group will be the country's dominant provider of television channels and Internet services.

Time Warner Cable (TWC, Fortune 500) owners will be offered 2.875 Comcast (CCV) shares for each share they own, valuing Time Warner Cable at about $158.82 per share.

The two companies expect the merger to take effect by the end of the year, but regulators are likely to take a close look at the potential impact on consumers.

To address those concerns, Comcast said it was prepared to divest about 3 million subscribers. But it would still have about 30 million customers.

Comcast Cable CEO Neil Smit will lead the merged company.

The proposed deal ends months of jockeying for control of Time Warner Cable, the second biggest U.S. supplier of cable television, with about 11 million subscribers in cities such as New York and Los Angeles. Smaller rival Charter (CHTR, Fortune 500) wanted to buy Time Warner Cable, indicating last month it was ready to pay about $130 per share.

Time Warner Cable called that price "grossly inadequate" and countered with a suggestion of $160 per share, very close to Comcast's offer. Comcast had cast a shadow over the negotiations, and had reportedly held talks with Charter about how to divvy up Time Warner Cable's territories.

Related story: The Weather Channel's cable fight is the tip of the iceberg

Comcast President and CEO Brian Roberts said there were compelling strategic and financial reasons for the acquisition.

The transaction will generate about $1.5 billion in savings and will boost Comcast cash flow, the companies said. It will be tax free to Time Warner Cable shareholders.

Time Warner Cable shares were up 12% at $151.49 in pre-market dealing. Comcast Corp, which said it would add $10 billion to its share buyback program once the deal closes, gained 0.7% before the open.

By swallowing Time Warner Cable on its own, Comcast will gain even more leverage over the country's marketplace for television, broadband Internet and phone services. Comcast has about 23 million television subscribers in markets like Philadelphia, where it is headquartered.

With millions more subscribers, Comcast will add muscle in its negotiations with cable channel owners like The Walt Disney Company (DIS, Fortune 500) and Time Warner (TWC, Fortune 500), the parent company of this website. (Time Warner Cable was spun off from Time Warner in 2009 and no longer has any connection to the owner of CNN, HBO and Warner Bros.)

gently caress im blind

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 13:23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

comcast more like cumblast

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

ty

Sick we needed a second thread about this least a monopoly was established

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

ty

Quick some one copy paste the cnn article into a third thread

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

HE IS GLISTEN

two retard babies are merging into another retard baby no one cares

Swamp Fancy
Apr 6, 2003

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that cardboard box.

(Comcast (CCV) buys Time Warner Cable (TWC, Fortune 500) for $45 billion)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012
Who do I have to piss off to get a red title?

All that energy and resources concentrated into a single company will put a major entropic strain on the rest of civilization, expect a lot of people's quality of life to be reduced to a 3rd World level over this

butplug accident
Jul 9, 2009

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Well it is good that at least threadwise there is some competition...

butplug accident
Jul 9, 2009

op i dont give a gently caress unless you can relate it to pop-culture somehow

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Null Byte posted:

op i dont give a gently caress unless you can relate it to pop-culture somehow

you wont be able to see any of it because you can't afford internet now

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!

I am hopping this is a really early April Fools joke....

Please

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Why the hell does this get 2 GBS threads and net neutrality ruling got none? Oh wait, cause goons are retards.

whitey delenda est
Sep 14, 2008

Oh pirates yes they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Why the hell does this get 2 GBS threads and net neutrality ruling got none? Oh wait, cause goons are retards.

because the net neutrality ruling wasn't actually bad you dumb alarmist babby

i can't believe this will fly with anti-trust laws, they're saying they will have 30% of the U.S. market in one place!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

OrganizedInsanity posted:

What are you talking about I'm pretty sure there was 2 threads for that ruling too. I know for sure there was one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

Quick some one copy paste the cnn article into a third thread

Quick get out

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Time warner sucks balls. Good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Oh yeah.

Why couldn't they have bought Charter. Christ.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!

Ignoarints posted:

Time warner sucks balls. Good.

And Comcast is soooo much better?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Robzilla posted:

And Comcast is soooo much better?

since you used the word "better" and not "good"

Yes

Parallax Scroll
Nov 13, 2009

spiderman

i prefer cox

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

if this news were about cox it would be harder to swallow.

i'll take my check now, if you don't mind

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thanks i really like RSS feeds op

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

hellfire blast~

How do they expect to be allowed to do this, do antitrust laws not prevent cable/broadband monopolies now wtf

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Smarmy Coworker posted:

How do they expect to be allowed to do this, do antitrust laws not prevent cable/broadband monopolies now wtf

by maintaining seperate territories they don't compete directly and thus would not be "removing" a competitor from the market by merging.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

hellfire blast~

The entire northeast is Comcast and time warner for like 80% and then cox is 10% and then random DSL services are the other 10%

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

hellfire blast~

Libelous Slander posted:

by maintaining seperate territories they don't compete directly and thus would not be "removing" a competitor from the market by merging.

That doesn't make any sense corporate practices are hosed

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Know the people who make the laws? Guess who pays for their campaigns.

After their term is up, guess where those people go to work.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Smarmy Coworker posted:

The only chance this doesn't go through, is this is an election year, and everybody starts going nuts about everything

Mega64
May 23, 2008

i like goobbues

This is a big deal because now Comcast will block all anime from the internet and shut down GBS.

Wait, why is this a bad thing again?

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

How much is this in bitcoins?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Smarmy Coworker posted:

It has to do with geographic competition rather than U.S. Population competition. McDonald's would probably be blocked from purchasing all fast food outlets in manhattan, because that would be considered a monopoly. However, they are not blocked from having a location every 3 blocks on the continental united states.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Putty posted:

ten thousand emptyquotes and i will sexually assault the op

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I haven't owned cable in like 10 years.

Life is pretty good.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

they buildin the tallest buildin in philadelphia, and they already have the tallest buildin in philadelphia, but this new one is gonna be bigger, givin them the two tallest buildins in philadelphia, total skyline domination.

gj comcast.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town

What can I say?

Frackie Robinson
Apr 26, 2008

You mean cable is going to be overpriced and lovely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Remind me to work out until I also am buff and have to keep a pillow in front of my okay I'll be honest this is like the 50th custom title I've done tonight and I'm just phoning it in now.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I haven't owned cable in like 10 years.

Life is pretty good.

You have internet don't you?