Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Still just Douglas. McDonnell Douglas won't exist until 1967. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Aaaa, this is bugging me, the little pixel-art "Tu-104" is actually the later, shorter-haul Tu-134, the real life Tu-104 had two engines in the wing roots. :spergin:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Was it fueled with pine tar and recycled cigarettes?

In theory, a jet engine can be made to burn almost anything. The Tu-104 was basically a Tu-16 medium/long range bomber with a passenger cabin, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Echoing the above, I would hold off on crossing oceans, build up the Rome hub.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Did ConAir set up a hub in Tehran? Or just someplace nearby? Regardless, we must make them pay for their impudence. Take the DC-6s out of Europe that aren't being filled, and move them to Hong Kong.

It would be great if we could get in on some jets, but historically the 707-120 was superseded pretty quickly by the 707-320, DC-8, and so on - what's the schedule for the next jets to become available?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

:eng101: The DC-6 and L-1049 weren't turboprops - they were piston-props! Lots and lots of spark plugs. Same with the IL-14, actually.

Buy Caravelles as IL-14 replacement, buy DC-8s sparingly. I suspect the Caravelle will stay viable longer. How long can you fly out-of-production airplanes?

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 27, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

In light of what everyone else has said, I'm changing my vote. Don't buy the Caravelle just yet, get a handful of DC-8s but not many because better stuff may become available, invest in existing airports and routes like that Tehran commuter airline, and as a stretch goal aim for reaching Oceania.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Does the game allow you to use more than one type of airplane on a route? Or if you were to take the plunge and upgauge the mighty THROM to a big jet, you'd have to do it all in one go?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Buying up new planes and businesses requires some cash standing around, so I vote 50/50 Flex/Bank.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Casualty posted:

We can make it to Chicago, right? That's a pretty nice hub competitor to New York. Los Angeles would also be good, if we can reach it from Hong Kong.

LAX-HKG is pretty long. If I remember right, it only started getting regular nonstop flights in the 1980s.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I vote for a split between planes and bank.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Budget for Planes. Use them to open up Hong Kong - Tokyo and Hong Kong - Sydney.

Once we're ready to go to the USA, make our hub Chicago, but that could be some time from now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yes to an unconditional 25% flex allowance.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Planes and crack open the bank for a DC-8-50. We've laid all the groundwork now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Budget planes, the DC-8-50 is going to be handy in other places but we need its range for CHIROM. Consider the 727 later too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Buy Planes until we can satiate THROM with jet service to match 'Murica.

edit: oh and flex a little cash too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't even know this year. I'm gonna say flex and agitate for DC-8 to sate THROM.

What about the 727? It would be nice running between our non American hubs? We don't have a history with Boeing though,so maybe see if Douglas comes up with a new jet and jump on it like a mad dog.

The Douglas DC-9 should be a couple years off, but I would get some 727s first, as the DC-9 may not arrive soon enough to make a big difference in this scenario, and also is a bit smaller.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Anti-Boat, buy a 727 or two instead.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Planes, planes, planes. I still want a 727, but you'd probably be better served either by buying more DC-8-50 to free up the DC-6s on THROM or THR-HKG, or by buying the DC-9 instead.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Planes. If we're filling up 3x DC-6 on a profitable route, we can use fewer of a bigger, shinier plane and put the older Dougs someplace else.

…right?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Plan B. This game doesn't seem to have a Vickers VC-10, so the Ilyushin Il-62 will have to suffice as the closest thing. Plus, hell the rest of you voted for a pleasure boat so I'm going to vote for something silly too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Buy Ilyushins, comrade, so we can tap into our existing inter-regionals. Then use the Dougs that are displaced by that to fill out the rest of our network or open new routes. :ussr:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

What does the DC-8-50 cost right now? It would still be a substantial increase in capacity over a lot of the propeller planes as well, but if the upgrade cost to the -60 is small you may as well go with that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Put a spare DC-6 or buy a 727 for HKG-Tokyo. Can we open Sydney with Comrade Ilyushin?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You must create Pam Ann flying out of Los Angeles in Blue.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Voting for Voltair as well. Let's make it blue.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Do not buy any boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It's pretty surreal to have a USSR airline offering a New York - Havana service in 1971.

Incidentally the other new airplane that was offered in this update, the L-1011 TriStar, could have been sold and manufactured in the Soviet Union if the US government hadn't sunk the deal.

• Locked thread