Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
We need that British airspace. I don't know how much $75 million is to our total yearly revenue at this point, but if we could be the premier carrier between the UK and its former colonies, we will be set. I vote BACK THE PROPOSAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I don't know as much about this game as some of the other posters, but that makes it exciting! In order of priority:

1. Stick with Rome. One thing I do know: The 1960 Olympics were held in Rome. We should continue to build up in Rome, start a Rome-London route, and use Rome as our hub to expand into Europe. Trying to battle it out over DoubleHub London sounds like a bad idea, and Air Murica seems to be doing pretty well. We should stick with Rome and get Rome-London and Rome-Berlin routes going.

2. Go East! Asia looks like a great prospect at this point. Hong Kong is Friendly now and is perfectly suited to be a Hub. We should make Hong Kong into a hub, then aiming to connect it to Beijing and Tokyo for routes that could be major moneymakers.

3. African Strategy Africa is virtually untouched. We should use our new hub to get routes to get European routes to Cairo and Lagos going while also connecting Cairo to Tehran.

4. Buy Boats. There is a service business that has a boat icon. I like boats.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 19, 2014

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
1. Go in on Asia. Asia has multiple huge moneymaker cities we have yet to integrate. We need time in Beijing especially, and I think a long-term strategy should be to keep Conair out of our backyard in the ME. If we can keep them expanding into the ME unprofitable and we expand into Asia, they should suffer from being boxed-in.

2. Gradual growth in Europe. Buy boats in Rome. Rome is working really well as a Euro-hub, but expanding into rinky-dink third and second-tier European cities seems like a losing proposition. I think we should maintain and grow our routes between Rome and the bigger European cities. While we do not need to buy boats immediately, my instincts say that We should buy a boat business in Rome before the 1960 Olympics. Rome has beaches, and not everyone can get actual tickets to all the Olympic events. I would also say that we should Focus on expanding our profitable routes until they reach the point of diminishing returns.

I am thinking about the long-game here; If we achieve a lead in Europe, don't let our guard completely down in the ME, and become the leader in Asia, even if we get a surprise usurpation in one region we cannot lose the game. Once significantly more money is rolling in and better planes are available around 1961, we can consider trying to slay The Great Satan.

Edit: Also, we can't ignore that opening new routes directly takes money that could be used on expanding good routes and buying new/better planes. If we spend all our money bidding on every crap-tier city, we won't be able to take the big routes to our regional hubs up to the level that makes maximum profit. So I am explicitly casting a vote for No new European routes this year.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 25, 2014

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Krysmphoenix posted:

The only thing that is really concerning me is Murica. They are a huge juggernaut that we need to start taking down or crippling, although I haven't the foggiest idea how. It seems like this game is mostly playing around each other and trying to fill up a limited number of slots, without any direct offensive actions against each other.

I think Air'Murica is making so much money because it has deeply invested in a smaller number of profitable routes. We and ConAir have followed similar strategies, I think, of a lot of expensive expansion that doesn't always immediately provide returns. Now that we have a lot of routes, I think we need to spend time consolidating if we want to make that Air'Murica kind of money.

Edit: I've decided to make a list of our relations with governments with help from the author, because that keeps tripping me up and changing my suggestions:

pre:
Red: Worst Relations
None

Orange: Bad Relations
North America:
USA
Canada

Europe:
West Germany

Asia:
Japan

Oceania:
Australia
New Zealand

Blue: Good Relations
Essentially all not otherwise listed.

Green: Best Relations
Home Area

United Kingdom+Possessions

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 25, 2014

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I'm going to buck the trend of support for my own idea and say Wait for boats. Boats in good cities are much too expensive right now. New cities are also too expensive right now; I say Don't expand to any new cities. We're poor and need cashflow, but we have good routes. Here is what I suggest.

Buy DC6s. Remember Brand Loyalty! If we get enough DC6s, and maybe sell off an Ilyushin or two, we can put ourselves in a position to save over 5 million dollars on every DC8-30 we buy. Also, historically, the DC8-30 had problems and was quickly superseded by the DC8-40 and DC8-50 due to airline complaints, and these were both superior planes. Feeding DC6s to our good routes while amassing money will put us in a position to drop DC8-40/50s on big intercontinental routes in 1961 for an entirely non-trivial discount. I just don't see the money in the balance sheet for exploiting new intercontinental routes with longer-ranged planes or buying boats at this time. With the amount of money we'd spend on boats, we could buy 5 DC6s, and in our current position, it's not hard for DC6s to pay for themselves.

We currently only use planes from two manufacturers, and one has no planes for sale and hasn't announced any. We need to show loyalty to Mcdonnel-Douglas. Buy no Caravelles. They dilute our brand, come from an upstart no-name French company, and can never be assigned to our big-money routes. And they're 30 million loving dollars each. We're much better off buying DC6s, then once the discount kicks in (and is maybe manually helped later on by selling off those old Ilyushins), we can buy DC8 series planes that will let us be a real Jumbo Jet airline.

Remember what Gabriel Pope Said:

Gabriel Pope posted:

You've got it backwards: Caravelles let you consume more slots per plane. Being cash strapped that could theoretically be useful since we'd have to buy fewer planes, but the Caravelles cost twice as much and can only run ~1.5 times as many flights so it's not actually cost-efficient. They're both 80 seaters, so they have the same revenue per flight, but the DC6 is slightly more efficient so it gets us marginally more profit per slot and our up-front order cost is lower per slot too.

So DC6s make us more money now, and will help us get a 10% discount on the DC8 series, which has a good plane right now and historically became significantly better.

DC8-30 vs. Caravelle Comparison
pre:

Price   Price Per Seat  CTRBL(1)     Range  Maintenance Effiency(2)  Fuel Economy(2)
DC8-30       52800k  371.43k          77000k      5120   57                       30

Caravelle    30000k  375.00k         360000k      1500   74                       81

1: This is the cost to reach brand loyalty by buying the cheapest available planes from the manufacturer, 
assuming we sell off none of our Ilyushins.

2: Higher=Better.

Caravelle does win on Maintenance and Fuel costs, but that's about it, and they can never be assigned to our big-money routes with that piddly range, really putting a damper on our flexibility.

We need to expand our existing profitable routes as much as possible. We've got planes to buy.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 28, 2014

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I advocate more Planes. The steady purchase of DC-6s will keep our income growing and push us towards a discount. I don't think banked funds are going to be useful for us at this point until we are ready to start buying the biggest planes and businesses.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
1. I approve Permaflex-25. The CEO needs some latitude in order to bring this competition home, and I would like to see how it is done.

2. Planes. Specifically, I want that DC8-50. Historically, it is an excellent passenger jet. It seats more, it goes faster, it goes further, and we should be getting the discount.

3. If we get the DC8-50, let us look at HongKong-Sydney. Hub-to-Hubs seem to be the best moneymakers, and the DC8-50 has the range for it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
BIG DOUG. Doug has released some of the best big jets of this entire scenario. We need to start buying the big jets and using them to Develop new Inter-Regional routes. Those seem to be the biggest moneymakers. I leave the exact inter-regionals to develop to the OP's discretion.

I'd like to keep the boat though.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

The White Dragon posted:

Permanent abdication to the CEO, he's more or less the only one who has any idea how this game works. We've had about as much growth as AirMarx in the same amount of time.

I tend to agree. We had our fun voting. We got to see a boat. I want to see how a win can be pulled out of this scenario, and I think if we keep picking random options, we won't ever be able to defeat 'Murica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

GetWellGamers posted:

Yeah, I'll go Shogun airlines. And I'm preemptively voting for CEO supremacy again, only with voting on which way you'd like to best conquer the world. Like, IF you give us a set of paths that you know will all be favorable but just in different ways, that'd be something I'd like to vote on, but I think every option should be some form of winning because I loved the game as a kid and yet have never seen any kind of win screen.

80s is the time of Neo-Japan Rising.

• Locked thread