Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hailing frequencies

Were you spanked or otherwise hit as a child by your parents? Teachers? Nuns?

I was, as I'm sure many of you were.

It seems we in the "Western" world have come to a general and widespread consensus of late that hitting children is bad, under any circumstances. And for good reason - hitting a child only teaches that violence is a tool for solving problems in this world. Violence against children is one of the main factors in the creation of criminally violent adults. Read here about the theory of "Violentization" by Lonnie Athens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Athens

Here's the basics of the theory from Wiki:

quote:

Stage 1 Brutalization: Within this stage, the subject is forced into doing violent acts by a member of their primary group.

Stage 2 Belligerency: In this stage, the subject reinforces his warlike attitude to the situation by a method of different steps. They take personal responsibility to the fact that they started the brutalization stage to begin with. In turn, they feel like they must lash out in order to forget about what they did to begin with. The subject feels like the only way for them to make right to the situation is to keep acting out. With this repeating behavior they get emotionally attached to what they are doing. Because of this emotional attachment, the subject feels like anytime they are provoked, they can end the feeling by continuing the violent acts.

Stage 3 Violent Performances: The subject continues to act out violently and they feel that they get inner confidence by acting like this and that in turn builds their self-esteem. With their actions being executed, they feel like they get a knack for it and they incorporate it into their daily activity. In this stage they feel most comfortable with what they are doing and do not feel like they are doing anything wrong. The subject feels like they have gained celebrity status to what they are doing, and within this stage is the defining moment of whether or not they will continue to do what they are doing.

Stage 4 Virulency: Once the subject has made it to this point, they feel like whether or not their fame is notorious or not, they believe it to be a good thing. This stage is also known as the need to show off. They feel like they can move on to bigger and better things if they wanted to and the subject tries to. They have an overcoming feeling of being invincible and that nothing can stop them, so they continue these violent acts. After this stage has been completed they are now considered to be a criminal and there is no stopping the subject to what they may do next.

tl;dr: Violence begets violence. Violent criminals can be explained as a creation via this process of violentization.

There are some today who still say "Spare the rod, spoil the child", but I hope their numbers dwindle. I can see zero justification, ever, for striking a child, and anyone who does needs to know society does not approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011
Tell me to shut the fuck up.

well they aren't my children, but yeah

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I want to hit you OP

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

No, they just sit there in cap and nightgown, get their diplomas, and then along about forty years from now they suddenly say, "Where am I?"

paging charliemaul

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

Dumb people resort to yelling and violence when they can't logically solve problems.

Source: my neighbors

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

Should we instead just rub their face in it?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth.

I had to stop because now that he's 15, he's pretty big and knows karate.

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

my parents never beat me and i'm a piece of poo poo, so

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

Yellow Jackson posted:

my parents never beat me and i'm a piece of poo poo, so

agreed i'm not gonna make the same mistake my parents did

start the cycle of violence iimo

Snitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

gently caress ya

Don Tacorleone
Apr 2, 2013

I think we've learned we should beat the poo poo out of children so the next generation doesn't turn out as worthless as this one

Darth123123
Jan 26, 2006

less than my wife

runupon cracker
Jan 13, 2006

This will hurt me more than it hurts you.

redshirt posted:

I can see zero justification, ever, for striking a child, and anyone who does needs to know society does not approve.
How many children do you have? Wait, let me check my crystal ball here for the answer. Oh, it's zero!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

My dad did and now I don't talk to him and he literally can't understand why.

He sends me long rear end messages guilt tripping me for not talking to him and I'm like, dude, you used to beat me up, bully me around, and just generally gently caress with my self confidence. Why would I want to talk to you, especially considering you're not even pretending to be sorry for any of that?

And of course when I explain for the 300th time why I don't really want anything to do with him he ignores me.

In conclusion, if you want your kid to have self esteem issues and not want anything to do with you when they're older you should hit them and say things like, "I'm the adult so I'm right, obey and do as I say, not as I do".

Dusseldorf
Mar 29, 2005

I sure as hell want my grandchildren to be beaten so I got about that the most efficient way I can.

Retail Slave
Nov 25, 2011

You are the only Packers poster who deserves the ignominy of an A.J. Hawk avatar. Enjoy.

I beat my son at Chutes and Ladders today. Does that count?

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009

I bump my nutz when jerking off, does that count?

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011

i still beat my parents.

look at this passive aggressive nerd.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

He sends me long rear end messages guilt tripping me for not talking to him and I'm like, dude, you used to beat me up, bully me around, and just generally gently caress with my self confidence. Why would I want to talk to you, especially considering you're not even pretending to be sorry for any of that?

And of course when I explain for the 300th time why I don't really want anything to do with him he ignores me.

In conclusion, if you want your kid to have self esteem issues and not want anything to do with you when they're older you should hit them and say things like, "I'm the adult so I'm right, obey and do as I say, not as I do".

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrd

Damp Star Baby
Jan 22, 2014

CA Exempt DEATH

I beat myself off whenever and wherever I can

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrd

I'm gonna beat you up, because it's how I've been conditioned to deal with stress.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

beat the op like a redshirted stepchild

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

ashgromnies posted:

Or maybe you're a stupid little bitch who deserved it and your dad was only hitting you to take out his frustrations for having such a pile of poo poo son?

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

ashgromnies posted:

I'm gonna beat you up, because it's how I've been conditioned to deal with stress.

if that were true you'd have kicked your dads rear end and established dominance

Retail Slave
Nov 25, 2011

You are the only Packers poster who deserves the ignominy of an A.J. Hawk avatar. Enjoy.

I beat my son at Chutes and Ladders today. Does that count?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

There's a big difference between beating your child and giving your child a spanking or something similar. There's also a big difference between doing it because you're angry and doing it as an educational and punitive measure. And finally there's also a really big difference in between doing that over behavior that's not otherwise harmful or detrimental to your child, and doing it because they are engaging in something dangerous and won't stop.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Or maybe you're a stupid little bitch who deserved it and your dad was only hitting you to take out his frustrations for having such a pile of poo poo son?

On the other hand, that's a stupid hypothesis and children don't deserve to be abused, sorry.

I hope that's a joke post. Child abuse is pretty hosed up.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

people who defend/advocate abusive violence against children under 12 are incapable of controlling or raising a child.

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011

ashgromnies posted:

On the other hand, that's a stupid hypothesis and children don't deserve to be abused, sorry.

counterpoint: you

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

I was spanked sometimes. It was effective, but not painful. More for the fact I was getting "punished" for doing something bad and making them upset. My parents love me more than literally anything in the world, but I wouldn't do it these days. Once I bit my dad as a toddler and my dad bit me back and apparently I never did it again.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Whirlwind Jones posted:

So how's your relationship with your dad?

Hwbrgdtse
Nov 23, 2013

Why hello!

nah, i let them win now and then

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Yellow Jackson posted:

if that were true you'd have kicked your dads rear end and established dominance

I actually did, but I was 22 at the time. It felt really good for what it's worth. I was actually kind of scared because of how much relief the physical violenc gave me.

Snitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Physically or mentally parents will always gently caress up their kids.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

OMFG FURRY posted:

people who defend/advocate abusive violence against children under 12 are incapable of controlling or raising a child.

My neighbor's son is 4. He kept on trying to get out of the house whenever he can, and go into the street because it's fun to run around. He managed twice to get out of the house and do just that when his mother had her back turned. The second time she caught him, she gave him a spanking and he stopped trying to go in the street.

How is that child abuse, and how is she unfit to parent a child?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

Twee as gently caress posted:

There's a big difference between beating your child and giving your child a spanking or something similar. There's also a big difference between doing it because you're angry and doing it as an educational and punitive measure. And finally there's also a really big difference in between doing that over behavior that's not otherwise harmful or detrimental to your child, and doing it because they are engaging in something dangerous and won't stop.
The difference is that the second person knows its wrong, but can't control their kids any other way.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

College Ruled posted:

counterpoint: you

I'm awesome actually, I don't know your problem but all you ever do is poo poo on things and flame people

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

OMFG FURRY posted:

So how's your relationship with your dad?

not as good as my relationship with your mom

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

Bitchtard posted:

Physically or mentally parents will always gently caress up their kids.

So Christians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

ashgromnies posted:

I actually did, but I was 22 at the time. It felt really good for what it's worth. I was actually kind of scared because of how much relief the physical violenc gave me.

congrats on dealing with your issues so why are you still whining about it exactly? boo hoo my dad made me strong and capable

«13 »