Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Just endlessly kill dudes. That's about it. As long as they have a distribution thing, they can be driven to extinction. If you want exact numbers, this guide should provide them. It also provides a list of what they drop, and on what days.

http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998 (Put this in the OP, please)

Added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Static Rook posted:

Enemies spawn in towns, too. They aren't all 2 EP giants, but enough to get a full point eventually. Some main quests need to be started at certain times of day anyway so letting time go by isn't a huge deal.

Also each town eventually has an easily accessible area where 2 EP giants spawn so farming up a few EP is pretty trivial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

I'm having trouble finding an Elixr though. Is the only way to get that to sell 100 soul seeds? Not looking forward to that grind.

You can also get it from Outerworld people but that's a crapshoot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do people usually put all their magic on one schemata, all their physical attacks on another, and have the third all defense? Or mix it up? There's that accessory that reduces attack to nothing but protects against almost all damage , should I throw that on Paladin with mediguard for healing?

It's best to have dedicated schemata. You don't gain any benefit from mix and matching.

And yes, that accessory is insanely good. On certain Garbs it can literally make you immune to all physical damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Can someone tell me what is the deal with Whirlwind Kick? Some people are swearing up and down that it's like totally amazing but it just seems to do not a great deal of damage and have a fancy animation. Am I missing something?

Higher level Punt gives it hilarious DPS for a very low ATB cost. It's not the Best Attack Ever but it's very good for what it is and hilarious to use on anything it can knock into the air.

chumbler posted:

I think that would be my main complaint about the battle system, which I overall really like. It doesn't really feel like they give enough reason to try to mix up schema or go for anything other than specializing, which leaves a lot of pretty useless garbs (like who is ever going to use white mage?). It's a hard balancing act to be sure, and I don't really know of a good way it could be fixed without really sitting down and thinking about it, but a start would be putting a higher cost on the ghost/preta hoods like cutting max ATB in that scheme down to the cost of a single skill, or you lose 10% of your current health at the start of every fight or something. And even then I'm not sure it would do it since it would still be something you could just toss on for bosses.

Also the 'Transform X' auto abilities should trigger every time the conditions are met instead of once, but the buff itself have a very short duration or something like that. And I have no idea why area sweep exists when there is already blitz. I guess its damage per ATB spent ends up better, but it's still just as slow.

Well, that's kind of the issue with a lot of job systems. You kind of have to force yourself to use other things once you find a really good winning combo. That is why stuff like the Four Job Fiesta for FFV is fun because it basically forces you to figure out different ways to handle combat. LR obviously isn't as varied as FFV or Bravely Default but it still functions under basically the same logic of "here's a bunch of toys."'

The Hoods was certainly way too good for what they are though and really should have a more significant downside tied to them. The no-damage thing is theoretically a big deal but in reality it just gives you a schema to stick debuffs on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moskau posted:

Re: Artemis Arrows, I finally got the garb and Heavy Slash, and tried it out and it was kind of disappointing. It has a really long wind-up time and the garb starts at 0 ATB. Does it do more damage with higher Heavy Slash level? Right now I'm doing more damage with Helter Skelter + Chaos Revenge + Attack lv4.

Artemis Arrows is very easy damage. That's basically its biggest advantage. You do a lot of damage with very little effort. It does more damage with higher Heavy Slash levels and can trivially break 100,000 and in general is a very big damage dealing attack where you don't have to time it or anything. That is basically what it is good for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Well, I've seen the ending.

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

Almost certainly to Serah. For one, she isn't in Japan!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

The Protagonist

You made Lightning have that color scheme to match a hat too, didn't you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

I didn't, actually. I just like orange, and then I realised how well it went with the pumpkin head, and then Lightning became the Pumpkin King for the rest of the game. It got very silly.

Which hat were you thinking of? Might have to try it out.

I can't remember the one but it's one of the tricorner hats that has an orange-and-black color scheme. It also happened to be perfect for carrying over to pumpkinhead when I got it though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Which is kind of arbitrary. You'd think it'd be once you pass the trial to get into the gang.

The reason the town isn't populated isn't because it was hard to get there. (The sandstorm was pretty recent.) It is that there is no reason to be there. Opening up the ruins brings a bunch of treasure hunters a'callin'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I can say is that FFXIII-2 is probably my least favorite FF game and I can't imagine anyone considering it a step up.

The Grimace posted:

1. Limits on leveling up until you beat the game
2. Leveling up takes poo poo-tons of EXP if you want to fill your Crystarium. Have fun cheating Adamantoises with Death!
3. Leveling equipment takes poo poo-tons of gil/farming.

And no offense is meant by this but most of this doesn't explain it to me. You can do literally everything in FFXIII without grinding. It's completely and entirely unnecessary. Unless you're going for a platinum trophy you don't need to do any of that stuff. That's it. If you want EXP, cheesing Adamnotises with Death isn't the way to go. The only reason anyone did that is because there were trying to grind items for the Platinum Trophy/Gamerscore. The same with leveling every piece of equipment to max. (You needed one of every item or something ridiculous like that.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

the combat system is pretty much a more refined version of the one from XIII

The system has more refined mechanics but every single bit of combat design balance is removed so it doesn't matter. This is the thing I don't get. There is nothing you can do in FFXIII-2 short of not leveling up your characters which makes the combat work and if you do that FFXIII is still better designed for a no-leveling run.

I can understand LR solving the problems you had with FFXIII because it pretty much does change a lot. FFXIII-2 only solves problems in awful superficial ways. Hell, part of why I liked Lightning Returns more that its predecessor was that it went back to having leveling limits. You can't grind for levels at all and there's a hard stat limit that increases with each day baked into the sidequests you can do and the fact that higher-level skills don't drop until later days.It even limits how much you can power up until you finish the game because you don't unlock weapon smithing until you've finished the game at least once.

LR has a clear scaling sense of power and eventually you can overwhelm your opponents but never quite in a way that feels like you can just mash X to win every fight nor in a way where you feel like you need to avoid combat. I got this feeling sometimes in FFXIII. I never got it from FFXIII-2 outside of the pay-for DLC fights.

I guess I'm just bewildered that XIII-2 is being held up as the high point of the subfranchise. (Not by anyone in particular, just in general and in reviews.) Even if you liked FFXIII-2's improvements, it feels to me like LR does everything it claims to have done better but actually does it better. Except monster recruiting/A 3-person party, I guess.

Gaz-L posted:

if only for the fact that you don't have terrible plodding sections which make you feel like you played for 4 hours and made no progress

And all I can say about this is "Academia 400 AF"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuai posted:

Does anyone have a way to cheese Ereshkigal on a first playthrough? I really just wanna finish this game and start on Bravely Default asap :negative:.

He's vulnerable to poison once you stagger him. Just create defensive garbs with good stagger moves, throw poison on and let his health slowly chunk down while you ride out his attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

There was about 2 small sections of that area that are annoying. The rest only if you're the kind of person who will fight any enemy that comes near you. I'm not. If I don't need money or XP, I'll skip fights. Where as the design of that goddamn tower makes avoiding combat impossible. Getting caught in combat throws you out of thinking about the puzzle, so you end up doing the same thing 3 goddamn times...

I'm sorry, you will never convince me that Academia is better than that loving thing. I hate it. HATE it. Imagine AM from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. That's how much I hate it.

You've got to be thinking of another area because part of the reason Academia is a giant pile of poo poo is that the fights don't even drop experience/money. It seriously is just the worst area in any Final Fantasy game.

I guess I can understand thinking XIII-2 is better if you actively avoid all combat at all times but man, I don't think I could make it through any game in the subseries that way considering the combat system is about the only thing it really had going for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuai posted:

So about that secret ending....
Is she meeting Toriyama on our earth because that is loving hilarious.

She's in France, so that is pretty unlikely the intended reading. It's probably supposed to be Serah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caius's motivation is "Etro is the worst deity ever" which is pretty much objective truth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

Just beat the game. It was pretty good. The story went right where I expected it to and I guess it was the only place it really could've gone. They wasted almost all of the potential of the XIII story and stabbed it through the heart at the end of LR. I expected the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology to be flavor sprinkled on top of the story, instead it basically became the story. How could this mythology ever be expected to be share among games at this point, after you straight up kill the strongest god in the mythology Bhunivelze after he shows himself to be a giant dickwad? Hopefully this signals the end of FNC and they don't even attempt to try to bring it back in XV.

The mythology has already shown up in at least one other game and Etro is referenced in stuff they've put out about FFXV. They're going to handle it exactly like they handle Moogles, Cid, Bahamut and Chocobos. They'll show up in another similar-but-different form.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

If it were my call, I'd say just make them gods like there are gods in our world. People pray to them, but you don't see them or interact with them and they don't go around doing poo poo. Hopefully thats the route they're taking.

Well, both of the leads in FFXV supposedly got their powers from Etro so odds are pretty good that she's going to be responsible for another load of fuckups. Type-0 also makes a bunch of references to the gods but in a different form which is what I expect from XV too.

I suspect what they're going to do is basically slot them into the position of Default FF Gods, like how Chocobos are Default FF Horses and Bahamut is Default FF Big-rear end King Dragon and Cid is Default FF Tech Guy and all those other constant circular references. That or they'll give it up after FFXV is a bomb and everyone hates it. One of those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I kind of like the idea that Etro's a running gag in the FF games from now on. Whenever the world goes to poo poo, the protagonist can look at the camera and :shrug: "Oh, Etrooo!" and then there's some sitcom-y 'wah-wah' music.

Turns out the statues in FF6? All Etro.
Jenova? Etro summoned her by accident.
The entire Sorceress cycle was because Etro took pity on a human. The Great Hyne is just a corruption of her name.
Don't even get me started on FFX.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UselessLurker posted:

My favorite part of the final day was getting 3X Anubis spawns every five seconds right on top of the damned shopkeepers outside. :argh:

Actually no, my favorite part was the Doom counter that goes away after you blast the first (and easiest) form of robogod. What was the point of that?

Probably just a reference to the Fal'cie doing the same thing. The final boss is literally an amalgam of a bunch of previous FF bosses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xythar posted:

Was Etro even mentioned in the original FF13? I have no memory of this.

Yes, but only obscurely. She's discussed in a few datalogs and that is about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So I'm taking it that this game isn't all that terrible? Did... someone in Square attempt to put the train back on the rails to limp it home after the wreck?

FFXIII has always had the core of a good combat system there and they basically game it the emphasis this time while doing some weird experimental stuff because they could. The story is still stupid-as-gently caress and the game itself is still fairly janky, but they pulled off a better game than the last two attempts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It's pretty funny how Lightning gives long encouraging speeches to random NPCs but when she meets her old friends she pretty much goes "suck it up". Seriously though, the speeches feel really out of character especially when so far a big pot point is that Lightning is feeling unnaturally detached and distant. She sounds like a different person at several points during the [spoiler] chocobo quest{/spoiler], less monotone, and lighter in tone. It's an improvement, even if the monotone delivery can be pretty funny sometimes. One of her outfists makes her laugh during some attacks which is pretty disturbing. Hearing her laugh, that is.

I have absolutely no idea if it is intentional or not but the feeling I got is that for most people she's acting The Savior and doing what they want to hear and with her friends she's actually try to act like herself. The more likely answer is "bad writing" though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Making strangers feel better about themselves is literally her life's purpose. There's at least one quest where she goes through a whole speech, takes the soul, then turns around to Hope and says "wow what a load of poo poo". Her friends deserve nothing but scorn anyway, look at them.

Yeah, lines that really are why I get that feeling, but sometimes it can be hard to tell what the game is going for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That particular enemy is the only one who really really tanks the framerate. It's really weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Aeronite really hard? I was gonna tackle him after I exterminate all the monsters.

He's the hardest enemy in the game but he's still not that bad. The hardest part is that you have a 'time limit' where he'll escape if you don't stagger him fast enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FunkyFlashman posted:

This isnt the first final fantasy game i just watched on youtube rather then buying and having to sit trough all the tedious fighting. But it is the worst story, lame characters, lame enemies, lame bullshit story etc etc. I am amazed.

Considering the fighting is the best part of this particular game, yeah, not the best way to experience it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

if i liked lightning before, now after lightning returns i like her more. the change in her character left me shocked and she really likes steak and i approve that.

Final Fantasy XIII-4: She Likes Steak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The fact that this is even on the list shows just how worthless the whole thing is.

Those games have more sequels than even FFXIII and keep getting them. I don't understand at all. :smith:

(Well, okay, I do understand but the answer is :pedo: + a budget of a buck fifty.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The funny thing is that Miku isn't even a character. Or do the Vocaloid games have stories now?

I've beaten all the main quests with three days to spare. Seriously considering just looking at FAQs for some of the sidequests because finding specific characters with no clues as to where they are or when is really annoying.

She has enough of a character she appeared in Super Robot Wars somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quiet Guardian is basically what I wore the entire game. It's a completely reasonable outfit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So it's 40 bucks on Amazon Prime. Are we expecting sales on this game any time soon?

30 dollars if I get it used. Good idea or bad?

It'll probably go on sale sometimes in the near future but there's no set expectation for when it will. $30 is probably around what it'd end up as on sale so it depends on how much you're willing to wait for a chance to save more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Rude posted:

I liked FF13 despite its really really awful everything but the gameplay and never picked up FF13-2 because I heard it was a steaming pile of poo poo, but the beard-action in this game and gameplay really makes me want to get it :allears: Should I get 13-2 first or can I just skip it and play Lightning Returns? Anything I miss that might be worth it? I heard the story in 13-2 and LR are not really good at all but I dig the battle system and actiony- RPGs a lot.

Just skip it. Story stuff happens but it is re-explained in LR and is stupid anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.crystalsforlife.ca/

Might as well mention that this charity stream is doing a LR speedrun right now/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

So I picked up the PSN demo for this out of boredom and played it. I have not played any final fantasy since 12 and I have no idea who any of these chucklefucks are, and yet I get the distinct feeling that not knowing any of this poo poo makes the game more entertaining in a bad way. The actual fighting seemed fairly fun but I have no idea how long the game is as far as actual gameplay, worth buying full price y/n

It's a fairly reasonable length game. There's a lot of side content and stuff to do. The combat is solid and enjoyable and the plot is dumb. You could probably get $60 worth of fun out of it but it'll almost certainly be cheaper in a few months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd just drop it. Anything important is covered in the game. I really really disliked FFXIII-2 but enjoyed LR so YMMV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just bumping this to avoid it dropping to the archives in the wake of the upcoming PC release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Having recently finished the game I felt something bothering me the whole time and wanted to get it off my back. This game seriously felt like it may have been a Valkyrie Profile game at some point of development before getting turned into a FFXIII spinoff. The game systems, plot, and even some of the characters just really feel like they could have been from VP if you changed a few names. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.

You're not the only one to feel that way. (I ever say so in the OP!)

Tri-Ace worked on both FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns so I suspect that is part of the influence there. However yeah, you could have made this Lenneth Returns and not a hugely significant amount would have changed. I suspect that is part of why I'm more overtly positive towards LR instead of just "Well, it's a Final Fantasy game" despite its many many flaws. It's weird and janky but it does remind me of VP and I love VP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

People should be positive toward this game because it is A Fun Game that generally succeeds at a lot of neat things it tries, makes Lightning an actually pretty fun character, and lets you be a pretty princess with a pumpkin for a head. People who don't like it are usually big babies about time limits or take FF too seriously.

Well, that too.

Pumpkinhead McGee, saviour of the world is optimal. I'm hoping the PC release had someone mod it so every character wears a pumpkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You know that what will actually happen is that someone will mod it so that everyone wears the bondage bikini. :negative:

If they can mod it so Sazh, Snow and Caius all are wearing it, I'll consider it worthwhile.

• Locked thread