Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a question: Why the gently caress is Netflix's tagline still "Evil. For a greater good." It's pretty clear Frank gives absolutely zero shits about the greater good, and is only interested in - as he says - ruthless pragmatism.

When the series started I kept figuring he was doing bad things to get into power and cause good things, but there's no way anyone could think that now. So the tagline is pretty silly.

I would absolutely and without irony watch a 4th season of Frank conning his way through, and out, of jail.

My prediction is that they won't know he's dead for a bit yet, just missing. And McPoyle the hacker will think he got killed over his request.

I don't think this show lasts past the 3rd season. Not because it isn't good, but because the story would get watered down.

The seasons are broken down pretty easily: Season 1 is first implementing his plan and achieving the Vice Presidency. Season 2 is getting the President to resign/get impeached (I don't really think he had a preference either way). Season 3 will be him trying to hold on to the Presidency while everything crumbles around him. I think losing Doug will be a blow he can't overcome. Doug was incredibly loyal and a fantastic fixer. Frank trusted him with everything, and had supreme confidence in him. Now the closest he's got is Meechum, but Meechum doesn't have the skillset that Doug did. Doug would have been able to keep a lid on things. But now Rachel is out there doing god knows what, and all it takes is one person to dig enough and it'll blow up bigger than Watergate.

Ultimately, I see a Watergate parallel. A president was brought down by two intrepid journalists following up on a hotel break-in and being diligent. All it takes is someone to investigate the Russo arrest and then everything starts to unravel. Without someone as competent and trustworthy as Doug by his side, it's going to be incredibly hard for Frank to keep a lid on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zwabu posted:

I agree. I just don't get the people who are like "he doesn't NEED Doug anymore, see? He's the PRESIDENT!" A lot of stuff Frank has done has been between borderline to downright illegal. Just because you have immense power and resources doesn't mean you aren't surrounded by people who might put an end to you by exposing or blackmailing you at the first hint of your asking them to do something improper, or them seeing you do it, as if they can't understand what the immense value of a totally loyal fixer on your team would be.

I also agree that the show is set up for 3 seasons. It's already a little padded at its current pace.

Exactly. We don't see Frank worried at the end of the season 2 finale because he has no reason to think Doug is dead. Once he finds out, he's going to poo poo bricks and scramble to cover his tracks, but without someone like Doug out there in the field getting his hands dirty, he's going to be seriously limited as to what he can contain. Season 3 is where everything goes to hell. Maybe Janine changes her mind or Lucas gets sprung somehow, or the other journalist dude who investigated and wrote the article for Lucas while he was in prison (I forget his name) gets tipped off and then takes Frank down.

Realistically, all you would need to do is leak one piece of damning evidence of a cover up to the national media, and then you can't contain it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

WYA posted:

Are we supposed to believe that Frank killed Zoe?

Nah, man. That's just what the liberal media wants you to believe. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I just finished all of the UK House of Cards poo poo.

Well. That's one way to cap it all off. It's a shame that the story is largely a story about Urquhart succeeding when he deserves to fail, and largely a tale of evil winning in the face of good, but I think it brings a satisfying, is almost beleagured end to the legacy of F.U.

Killing him with an assassination was a nice touch, although it was made more satisfying by his final days being ones hounded by guilt and delusion. In the end, he went without much more grace or dignity than any of the wretches he'd sent to the block before him, and dies still believing his power absolute, and his strength unquestioned. His wife plays more like Mephistopholes in this version, compared to the Queen of Sheba demeanor of Underwood's Claire, egging him on and driving him to consquently drat himself again and again, and ultimately consuming his life in order to sustain her own, smiling at him as he dies, confused, not even realizing he'd been played at long last.

I don't know if I'd be satisfied with Frank getting assassinated. I'd much rather have him scramble, digging himself deeper and deeper as everything unravels around him, and then he gets arrested and impeached. Although he'd probably take his own life by that point. He's all about power, and his comeuppance should be a complete loss of every single shred of power he's worked so hard for, and he's completely aware of it happening.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

xtothez posted:

In the British version, when it becomes clear someone has the proof to bring him down, Francis is setup for assassination by Corder - counterpart of Meechum in the US version. They could spin that around in the US by having Frank take his own life when all is lost, and frame Meechum for it. That preserves his legacy without the need for everything to become public, but Frank still pays with his life.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see Frank's legacy preserved. With all the awful things he's done, I want him to go completely down, just like Walter White did, only you don't have to have him redeem himself to an extent in the final episode. His fall should be like Nixon's, only worse.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Problem is, that wouldn't be House of Cards. It's weird in the U.S. version because of how dreadfully dull the first season finale is, but the whole "punchline" of these things is the same: Evil but Cunning Politician gets annoyed at person who slights him. Concocts scheme, runs scheme, ends up getting into a confrontation with person. There are schemes and counter schemes. Evil Politician gets ruffled, but manages to find the right scandal to ruin his opponent, and does so in a very evil way. The audience starts to realize that Evil Politician's actions have huge consequences for lots and lots of regular people. Audience starts to root against Evil Politician, evidence is found that could put Evil Politician away. Evil Politician, at the last moment and often through very evil action, manages to slip out of suspicion and completely get away with everything. Rinse and repeat.

Frank actually LOSING would go against the very spirit of the story, really.

It doesn't have to mirror the British version. Yes, House of Cards exists because someone at Netflix saw the British version and decided to make a series out of it for an American audience. But there are differences. The main character in each version even has a different background... the British FU was an aristocrat, and the American FU is a self-made man that came from a working-class background. A pretty fundamental difference, really. But it works.

My point is, if that can work, then other deviations from the British version can work. The British version is more of a guideline rather than something to be copied.

However, with that being said, if the American version has Frank slipping away unscathed, I would probably enjoy that too as long as the story is interesting.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What legacy? Like other people have said, he doesn't have any clearly defined goals besides power power power. The show really should have shown him having something he wanted to change / implement once he actually got all his power.

Every President has a "legacy." And I'm sure he'll change/implement lots of things in Season 3.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Didn't Claire say she had 3 abortions? One was supposedly from General McRapey. Was at least one of the others from Frank? If it was addressed I must have missed that detail.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

1st AD posted:

I don't think Frank is exclusively gay nor is his marriage to Claire merely one of convenience. There was a scene in Season 1 where after a victory of some sort Frank ignores Zoe's late night hookup text and takes Claire by the hand to presumably gently caress her. Then when he does find out about the General, his reaction is one of genuine rage.

Yeah, the rage for the general is genuine. It's the reaction most husbands would have if they found out someone raped their wife. He genuinely does care about Claire.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Supercar Gautier posted:

The show can work without Underwood ascending to higher and higher offices. The British show's second season was about a feud between Uruqhart and the king, yet strangely enough Uruqhart was not crowned the new King of England at the end of it.

I think this season can be for Frank scheming and establishing himself as President, but you see cracks starting to form, especially with his right hand man dead in the woods. I think near the end of the season you'll see something happen where he'll have to scramble in season 4 to keep covering up the death of the congress guy or the death of the journalist lady. Forgive me, I'm horrible with names.

I think next season is when it all completely goes to poo poo for him and ultimately his legacy will make Nixon look like Lincoln. I think the series ends with him getting arrested, impeached, committing suicide, or any combination of those 3.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 12, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

webmeister posted:

This season's thread was extra fun, given how episode one pans out :v:

I wonder if S3E1 will have a HOLY loving poo poo moment too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jerusalem posted:

It turns out it wasn't a dog that was hit in episode 1, it was Frank, and everything since then has been a Jacob's Ladder style shutting down of his brain as he lies dying on the street.

That would be more of a series finale moment, IMO.

• Locked thread