Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I loved the first season of this, but I do wish that they didn't release everything at once, I'll definitely be pacing out my watch of the episodes. Episodes need space to breathe, I don't think an episode like the one where Frank returns to his college and hangs out with his buddies would have felt as strong if I'd watched the entire thing in one go, and storylines like Claire's attempt to leave Frank and find a new life lack impact when they're not spaced out over the period of a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally finished the season (I deliberately watched it 1-2 episodes per week at a time) and loved it, I was impressed by Robin Wright in season 1 but she stepped it up incredibly in season 2, Claire is a terrifying character. Not that Kevin Spacey isn't brilliant and Frank Underwood isn't a fantastic character too, but she is incredible.

Only sour note for me really was the super-hacker character, I was pleased when they seemed to nip that subplot in the bud and not too pleased to see him return, but I guess it leaves something to potentially endanger Frank next season. Not to mention that all the people now working directly for him are fully aware of just how incredibly manipulative and dangerous he is and how willing he is to throw people under the bus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Did they ever actually explain what Jackie's problem with the rape bill was? She just said she had issues with some of the language. I guess the point was that Claire didn't give a poo poo about what her problem was, but I thought it was weird to have such a big plot point and then not explain the why of it at all. Unless I missed something.

Also really disappointed that Jackie and Tusk didn't have any scenes together. Would've been a fun Deadwood reunion, and Tusk is basically Hearst anyway.

Jackie grew up in the military and was a soldier herself, and the idea of Civilian Oversight of the military is anathema to her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noctone posted:

The civilian oversight was her ostensible (and probably at least partially true) reason for opposing the bill but I think asserting her power was the most significant reason. Up until that point she was essentially the Underwoods' puppet.

Good point, as she demonstrated with Remy when they were trying to corral votes, she hates being told how to do things or people considering that she will just fall into line as a matter of course.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tusk's biggest problem (for me, anyway) was in coming out of the shadows, even slightly. By making Frank aware of him, Tusk basically signed his own death warrant, before then he had the ear of the President and could basically tell him to do whatever he wanted. Once Frank knew about his influence, he was able to undermine it, but before that he had been completely in the dark over who had cost him the Secretary of State job in the first place. I absolutely loved that in the final episode when Tusk finally realizes that he once again underestimated Frank, he decides to take down the President with him in a fit of pique - one last childish demonstration of his power.

Of course, I fully expect Frank to pardon the President anyway, but I wonder if Tusk is hopeful that Frank will be grateful for speeding up his shift into the top job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't it because Tusk advisedtold Walker to keep Frank where he was?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

I think so, but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!

It's been awhile since I watched but I vaguely recall it being something about Tusk (probably quite rightly) thinking that Walker wasn't strong enough to keep the party in line, and that Frank's low profile was a sign of a willingness to stay behind the scenes, so he would be better suited to Walker's (really Tusk's) administration if he remained where he was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xealot posted:

But I can't imagine anyone who's a DC insider thinking this. If he's been Whip for that long, he definitely has a reputation for being a hardass who is anything but simple.

He's also the guy who has come across as ruthlessly pragmatic to all the insiders, the one who tells them to put aside their own vanity and self-interest and do what is good for the party (and he'll make sure they're taken care of for their "loyalty"). So it's not too surprising that Walker or Vasquez thought that he would be equally pragmatic himself and accept the decision to keep him where he was because they "needed" him there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of Russo, I'm hoping that Christina's plotline hasn't fizzled out - she was pretty much on the sideline for season 2 and really only seemed to be there to give Claire a way to wedge her way into the First Lady's confidence. She had such a large role in season 1 and proved to be pretty competent (if a little naive), and I'd be disappointed if she just disappeared from the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nwin posted:

So, with Walker resigning, he still could face jailtime, correct? I just read a few pages ago in this thread that Frank might be able to pardon him from this. Is that true?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frank pardons Walker, even if it doesn't fit into any long-term personally beneficial plans I do believe that he respects the office of the President enough not to want to see a former President go to jail, even if he despises the man personally (or at least his weakness).

Frank's gained the Presidency now, but he gained that and the Vice Presidency before that by playing political games. His big test now if whether he can actually win an election or even get votes outside of his constituency. His very first act being settling a hostile dispute between China and Japan is sure to be spun as an example of America being respected and feared on the global stage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Does anybody know who is playing Petrov? For a moment I thought it was Lars Mikkelsen but on closer inspection it didn't look like him, I was really excited about it too :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress yes :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nelson posted:

I'm a few episodes into season two and I haven't read the thread because spoilers. At the point I'm at the plot revolves around campaign contributions and I'm having a hard time caring. Without going into plot details, does it get better? Is this show worth my time?

Yes, it gets much, much, much better. There are a couple dud subplots but things really pick up as it goes on and the ending is pretty amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the big issue I have with the RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE! policy is that it basically makes it impossible to read the thread to discuss a particular episode/scene without a serious risk of being spoiled on future events.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Retail Slave posted:

I wonder if S3E1 will have a HOLY loving poo poo moment too.

It turns out it wasn't a dog that was hit in episode 1, it was Frank, and everything since then has been a Jacob's Ladder style shutting down of his brain as he lies dying on the street.

Camera slowly pulls away to reveal the scene is taking place in a snowglobe of the Capitol Building held by an autistic child.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3Romeo posted:

I'd love to see Claire talk to the camera this season.

"Francis I know you promised this documentary crew full access but I can't help but feel this may end up making us look bad somehow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I restricted myself to a couple of episodes a night, I wanted to savor what was there. It was helped by being safe in the knowledge that I didn't have to worry about getting caught up and then having to wait a week for the next episode (or a few months if it was a mid-season break :gonk:)

• Locked thread