Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is the first in a trilogy of adventure-platformers developed by Naughty Dog. Hot of the success of the Crash Bandicoot franchise, Naughty Dog brought the collectathon genre to the young PS2 with this vibrant, colorful, cartoony game. The new hardware brings with it features such as no load times, a day-night cycle, dynamic music, and in-engine cutscenes. 11 years later, the trilogy got the HD treatment and still looks gorgeous.
I will be collecting 100% of the strewn goodies in the game, while the duo travel the land in an attempt to make one guy less fuzzy. Assisting me through this adventure is Jak & Daxter expert Instant Grat, as well as rotating guests.

:siren: Please keep the thread plot and gameplay spoiler-free. :siren:
:siren: I know that people have strong emotions about the sequels. Please save the discussion for later threads. :siren:

Videos - cut commentary - full commentary - (in video) skip cutscene

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Dynamic Music
The soundtrack of this game has several variations depending on Jak's location in the stage. They all fade in and out of each other seamlessly.
Compare the different mixes for yourself!

1. Sandover Village Mixes
2. Forbidden Jungle Mixes
3. Sentinel Beach Mixes
4. Misty Island Mixes
5. Rock Village Mixes
6. Boggy Swamp Mixes
7. Volcanic Crater Mixes
8. Snowy Mountain Mixes
9. Spider Cave Mixes
10. Lava Tube Mixes
11. Gol & Maia's Citadel Mixes
12. Final Battle Mixes

"Art"

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 17, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
So are you doing a 100% run?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Looking forward to this. I've always enjoyed the trilogy so I can't wait to see how you tackle it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Hang on... Samos tells you how to break the red boxes? I have never heard that sound clip before. I don't even remember how I figured it out - I may have looked it up online.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Good luck, the last few attempts at this have given up before even reaching the second hub area.

(also i am a huge pariah in that this is my least favorite game in the trilogy but i still think its a pretty good game okay)

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 14, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I dunno if it's just something with my browser, but neither of the polsy links are working. I had to extract the youtube URL manually to get anything to load.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

So are you doing a 100% run?

The plan is to 100% the trilogy. :negative:
It's not hard at all to get everything in this game, but it takes some pre-planning to make it snappy on video.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SourceElement posted:

I dunno if it's just something with my browser, but neither of the polsy links are working. I had to extract the youtube URL manually to get anything to load.

Both seemed to work just fine on my end. Could just be general YouTube oddity.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So you're going to get all the necessary Precursor Orbs in the next games and gold all the challenges?

You crazy. Like actually crazy. Unless you've got a different 100% in mind.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RJWaters2 posted:

It's not hard at all to get everything in this game, but it takes some pre-planning to make it snappy on video.

drat son, I'm gonna be following this thread hard now, I love completionist stuff like this! Godspeed man, I really wanna see how you handle 2 & 3, I was so bad at them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's already an awesome strong start, Godspeed and Good luck.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RJWaters2 posted:

I look forward to seeing how far you get before the LP vanishes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've played both 2 and 3, but have only seen about 10 minutes of the first. Looks like I finally get the chance to see the full game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Just FYI the only reason I agreed to this was because RJ said "Instant Grat, just add Waters" and I couldn't very well say no after that

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Add me to the list of fans hoping against all hope that this is the beginning of a Tour de Daxter. I Believe in you guys- you can do it!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

Just FYI the only reason I agreed to this was because RJ said "Instant Grat, just add Waters" and I couldn't very well say no after that

It's been written on your avatar for years though?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
you son of a bitch

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Update! A lot of people demand a lot from us in...

Featuring RJWaters2, Instant Grat, and guest Blindcat

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It turns out there were a lot more variants of the Sandover Village theme than I thought!
There are 8 variations of the theme, one for each village member, Samos's being the default.

I made this nifty thing so you can listen to the variances at your own whim.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RJWaters2 posted:

Samos's being the default.

That's a pretty brilliant touch, honestly. I really should get around to replaying this game, it's full of these neat little things.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RJWaters2 posted:

It turns out there were a lot more variants of the Sandover Village theme than I thought!
There are 8 variations of the theme, one for each village member, Samos's being the default.

That is pretty neat. The farmer and birdwatcher ones just stop playback for me though.

As for the game, I really wish I could play it myself, but I don't have access to a ps2/ps3 atm. It's kinda strange seeing how starkly different this game is to Jak 2.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

We take on the game proper in...

With RJWaters2, Instant Grat, and guest SuccinctAndPunchy

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've 100%ed this game twice, and I don't think I ever knew (a) you could just get blue eco-ed up from the mirror beam to get in that room with the power cell, or (b) you could roll-jump to harm enemies.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Ah yes, this is the video where I started saying a lot of rambly things about Final Fantasy 7 and Alone in the Dark that didn't make any sense, right?

Just to clarify, what I was trying to get out is that one of the reasons I like Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is that they very clearly asked themselves "what can we do with this new console to make a cool game that we couldn't do before", rather than just "what can we do with this new console that we couldn't do before", which is always a crucial difference when a new console comes out.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I've 100%ed this game twice, and I don't think I ever knew (a) you could just get blue eco-ed up from the mirror beam to get in that room with the power cell, or (b) you could roll-jump to harm enemies.

Roll-jump damage nearly blew my mind. I 100%ed this game twice, too, and I've beaten 2 once and 3 about 3+ times and never knew about that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Same here, I've played this game tons and there's so many little things I never noticed. I don't remember there being this much detail in the next two games, so looking forward to what you're gonna show off for them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Roll jump is awesome and it took me until my second playthrough to realize it existed. It's pretty fun.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Watching this LP makes me really mad that I missed out on the PS2 generation until the PS3 was right around the corner. :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

Watching this LP makes me really mad that I missed out on the PS2 generation until the PS3 was right around the corner. :(

Well, the game's being played on the super PS3 HD Collection so you need not miss out on it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, man. It's not too late. Get on that HD collection bandwagon and find out what you've been missing. Also, there are a tonne of other rad PS2 games in collections too. You could get a PS3 and just spend a year playing HD PS2 collections.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Also get Okami HD if you haven't already played Okami. That game owns bones.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Instant Grat posted:

I did thankfully pick up Okami back when it first came out, when I was catching up on PS2 games. That said, a friend seems to have abandoned his PS3 at my house, so I'll definitely see about picking up Jak HD. I'm mostly just sad I missed out on this when I was still a kid.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Instant Grat posted:

Also you should get Okami HD if you actually want to see what's going on the screen. :v:

BTW this is an official Capcom image.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zain posted:

BTW this is an official Capcom image.

It's also hecka-exaggerated to make you want to buy the HD version. Obviously the PS2 version doesn't look as good as the HD upgrade, but it's not quite that much of a blurry mess - it is, as you may already know, probably the absolute best-looking game on the console. I should know, I've played it several times.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Okami HD is really beautiful, but if you have PS2 Okami I don't think it's worth repicking up as long as you have a working PS2.

If you have Okami Wii, pick up the HD version, because the Wii port of Okami is bad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Instant Grat posted:

It's also hecka-exaggerated to make you want to buy the HD version. Obviously the PS2 version doesn't look as good as the HD upgrade, but it's not quite that much of a blurry mess - it is, as you may already know, probably the absolute best-looking game on the console. I should know, I've played it several times.

I know.. Hence the :v: originally. But I mean and Capcom wonders why they're in the shitter with stunts like this.

There is nothing wrong with the Ps2 version of Okami as it is a very beautiful game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Okami HD is really beautiful, but if you have PS2 Okami I don't think it's worth repicking up as long as you have a working PS2.

If you have Okami Wii, pick up the HD version, because the Wii port of Okami is bad.

I got my copy of the HD version when it was on sale for like $6. I think it would be worth it at that point even if you have a working PS2, just for the convenience of having it on a system you (presumably) have hooked up more often and for the little things they touched up. Plus trophies, if you're into that :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Jak & Daxter HD is the easiest Platinum trophy I'm aware of - all you have to do is 100% the game. No fancy stunts or missable objectives in the bunch, or online shenanigans that no longer exist. I wouldn't have a Platinum trophy if it weren't for Jak & Daxter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh boy trophies

if there's one thing i care about in my Gaming Experience it is the trophychievements

please someone sell me a day one xbone cheevo i will pay you with my limited edition Call Of Duty Black Ops II Jeep

• Locked thread