Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

I got my update. I can now tell how much battery life my controller has left. :)
Out of curiosity, where is this information surfaced on the UI? I assume there's toast notifications in-game for low-power warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Out of curiosity, where is this information surfaced on the UI? I assume there's toast notifications in-game for low-power warnings.

So far I've only noticed it on the home screen in the lower right along with the time, but like you, I would expect something to pop up when it gets low in-game. I'll report back the next time my controller runs down if that doesn't happen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Barudak posted:

It has a specific error code; 0x8027025a TV Took to Long to Start.

It is apparently caused by the same issue related to the Blu-Ray playback and other app issues where the Bone doesn't properly clear out its memory and those causes its apps to crash. A hard turn off fixes the issue right up but still. it'd be hilarious if it weren't dampening my ability to use one of my favorite things about the system.

Is this a common issue that you can link to other examples of? I haven't heard of it, but you make it seem like a common thing.

King Burgundy posted:

So far I've only noticed it on the home screen in the lower right along with the time, but like you, I would expect something to pop up when it gets low in-game. I'll report back the next time my controller runs down if that doesn't happen.

There were a lot of things I could give MS the benefit of the doubt on (for whatever reason), but when I was playing a game and it just quit instantly, with no warning, because my controller's batteries apparently died ... that was when I really knew that they had rushed out about 6 or 12 months ahead of time. I mean... how do you get THERE in your UI design?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 15, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BonoMan posted:

Is this a common issue that you can link to other examples of? I haven't heard of it, but you make it seem like a common thing.

It's a known bug for Blu Rays, confirmed on their forums I believe but I lack a cite or anything.

It's supposed to be fixed upcoming as per their claim, so it's assumed it's in one of these patches.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
The update that's being rolled out right now apparently gets rid of the sharpening filter if the many users of neogaf are to be believed. Posters there seem convinced it's gone.

Though it's not mentioned in the patch notes as below:

New/updated Features
•Update to My Game & Apps to allow sorting of games and application lists, and separate queue lists for games, applications and installs
•Ability to delete game and application save data
•Improved installation and DLC management
•Addition of the controller battery power indicator
•Improved UI for accessing friends, achievements, messages, and party chat
•Game DVR app to be included in the Xbox OneGuide as an app channel
•Update to the boot progress indicators for system update
•Improve consistency of UX for update & install progress
•Separate game, application, and install queue lists
•Addition of USB keyboard support

Stability and performance update
•Improved NAT detection
•Network Troubleshooter improvements
•Blu-ray quality improvements
•Significant performance and stability improvements

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Crafty posted:

The update that's being rolled out right now apparently gets rid of the sharpening filter if the many users of neogaf are to be believed. Posters there seem convinced it's gone.

Though it's not mentioned in the patch notes as below:

New/updated Features
•Update to My Game & Apps to allow sorting of games and application lists, and separate queue lists for games, applications and installs
•Ability to delete game and application save data
•Improved installation and DLC management
•Addition of the controller battery power indicator
•Improved UI for accessing friends, achievements, messages, and party chat
•Game DVR app to be included in the Xbox OneGuide as an app channel
•Update to the boot progress indicators for system update
•Improve consistency of UX for update & install progress
•Separate game, application, and install queue lists
•Addition of USB keyboard support

Stability and performance update
•Improved NAT detection
•Network Troubleshooter improvements
•Blu-ray quality improvements
•Significant performance and stability improvements

Oh cool the blu ray fix is in this. Maybe Barudak is in luck.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I think the new Friends UI is the March update, since it looks the same to me right now and I have the February update.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Edit: wrong thread.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 15, 2014

breed to death
Aug 16, 2013
I just picked up my Xbox One on Wednesday because I got an early access Titanfall beta code from work and couldn't let it go unused. I'm very happy to see there's a thread on here where I can talk about it or (GASP!) say that I am enjoying it, without being ridiculed.

I feel safe here. Thank you.

Also I can't get over the clarity on the voice chat. It's almost creepy.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
After the update I looked at the amount of disk space I have on my hard drive and I have like a little more than 250 GB remaining. I have two retail games, two arcade games,CoD Ghosts Onslaught DLC, some apps like YouTube, Fitness, etc. and the TitanFall beta installed. What the heck? Surely the system partition isn't taking up the rest of this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

After the update I looked at the amount of disk space I have on my hard drive and I have like a little more than 250 GB remaining. I have two retail games, two arcade games, some apps like YouTube, Fitness, etc. and the TitanFall beta installed. What the heck? Surely the system partition isn't taking up the rest of this.

Some of the games are monstrously huge for reasons I can't fathom. Ryse for instance is 36.3 gigs once installed and thats with a disc in the tray. Its a real issue though and that 500gb harddrive is looking like a not long term solution.

Dearest Youtube App for the Bone,

I know you've decided you won't let me snap you so I can't minimize Feichong Wurao and play games but if you could kindly stop logging us out of the middle of an episode because another user logs in that would be like, grand.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

After the update I looked at the amount of disk space I have on my hard drive and I have like a little more than 250 GB remaining. I have two retail games, two arcade games,CoD Ghosts Onslaught DLC, some apps like YouTube, Fitness, etc. and the TitanFall beta installed. What the heck? Surely the system partition isn't taking up the rest of this.

Probably the retail games that are eating the space.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are 362 gigs of usable space or thereabouts on the Xbox One. Call of Duty alone takes up 49 gigs, and depending on your other game that brings you down to 250 easily.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

I actually came to post this myself. I was pretty shocked to find that my 500gb was half gone after playing 3 games. Will a USB3 hard drive offer acceptable transfer rates for playing games on? I guess we're either not done buying hardware for this thing or we're going to have to manage the drive constantly (though maybe this wont actually be an issue I can't see myself playing Dead Rising 3 in a year).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There a way to make this update trigger? I'm taking my Bone to a friend's house later and don't want it to trigger then and have to watch progress bars instead of the Titanfall beta.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

There a way to make this update trigger? I'm taking my Bone to a friend's house later and don't want it to trigger then and have to watch progress bars instead of the Titanfall beta.

Yeah you can manually install it.
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Grab OSUDT2.zip even though it says to go with your current version then follow the steps in step 3 to force the update. Applied fine on mine.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Soul Glo posted:

If you use the standby mode turning your Xbox off and waiting 5-10 minutes should do it. If it's working the light on the front of the Xbox should come on as it downloads. You'll also need to turn your console on after that for the update to install.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
A Blu-ray disc can hold up to about 64GB of data iirc, so a game being as big as 49GB is no surprise.

I'm curious, since all games seem to install, is the only point of needing the disc inserted to make sure you own the game?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Game DVR seems so clunky. Is there no way to activate it other than beforehand with a snap/record/unsnap? Trying to do that in the middle of a game is obnoxiously hard.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

withoutclass posted:

A Blu-ray disc can hold up to about 64GB of data iirc, so a game being as big as 49GB is no surprise.

I'm curious, since all games seem to install, is the only point of needing the disc inserted to make sure you own the game?

Blu-ray holds 25 gigs per layer with two layers being the current max. The spec theoretically supports more than that but it may not be worth it to make that work.

And yes, all games fully install, the disc is just a license check.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Wrong thread, sorry.

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 15, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

withoutclass posted:

Yes. Before, they were going to rely on an online check but now that you can go offline, you need the disc.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

MrBond posted:

Game DVR seems so clunky. Is there no way to activate it other than beforehand with a snap/record/unsnap? Trying to do that in the middle of a game is obnoxiously hard.

What are you trying to do? I've played with it a bit more the last few days but never bothered with the snap feature.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

flyboi posted:

Yeah you can manually install it.
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Grab OSUDT2.zip even though it says to go with your current version then follow the steps in step 3 to force the update. Applied fine on mine.

Well, I dunno where my one thumb drive is. Thanks though.

Chick3n posted:

If you use the standby mode turning your Xbox off and waiting 5-10 minutes should do it. If it's working the light on the front of the Xbox should come on as it downloads. You'll also need to turn your console on after that for the update to install.

This isn't triggering it. Guess it's just not out in my region yet. Maybe they're slow rolling it due to server trouble they had yesterday with the Titanfall beta.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I just got my Titanfall beta code. Do we know how long the beta period is?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

mcpringles posted:

I just got my Titanfall beta code. Do we know how long the beta period is?

Ends 18th, I believe. May be extended due to the server woes.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Barudak posted:

Dearest Youtube App for the Bone,

I know you've decided you won't let me snap you so I can't minimize Feichong Wurao and play games but if you could kindly stop logging us out of the middle of an episode because another user logs in that would be like, grand.

Yes YouTube is easily the worst experience I've had on my bone so far. It's almost as if Google is a big ol' jerk company. I can surf through all content on my bone with just my universal remote, and in most cases just via voice. Except youtube. :mad:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If anyone has a spare Titanfall key, PM me. I played Dead Island on the 360 right before I got my xbone and discovered that I no longer get motion sick from FPS games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soonmot posted:

If anyone has a spare Titanfall key, PM me. I played Dead Island on the 360 right before I got my xbone and discovered that I no longer get motion sick from FPS games.

I just dropped this one in the Titanfall thread, so it's probably already used, but:

H44HQ-6C7M2-KTDT2-HJ4W6-9TX9Z

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Please reply if you use it!:

Amazon.com posted:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Because you are a valued Amazon.com customer of the Xbox One, we wanted to let you know "Call of Duty: Ghosts" for the Xbox One is available with the below code at $39.99 for a limited time, when shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

Your individual claim code: 2ZEW-BXEDRD-KZRQLA.

How to redeem your code:
1. Click the Redeem code button below to go to the "Call of Duty: Ghosts" page
2. Add "Call of Duty: Ghosts" for the Xbox One (shipped and sold by Amazon.com) to your Cart and click Proceed to Checkout
3. Paste the claim code above into the Gift Cards & Promotional Codes box on the Review Your Order page
4. Your discount will be applied at checkout

This code expires on February 28, 2014.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I really want a friends widget on the home screen so I can see who is online without opening an app for it. Further more it's more important I see who is online than the history of who was watching TV or who was watching Netflix, the list needs to come before the feed.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I was just sent a second code for Titanfall so if you want it pm me

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Soonmot posted:

Last night, I got the idea of e-mailing Origin support and straight-up asking for a beta key from the TitanFall thread, and right before I went to bed this morning, I had one sitting in my inbox. No bullshit. Should be fully downloaded by the time I get home.

Just e-mail Origin and ask for a key.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I also have a spare code for anyone wanting one

Edit: gone now, sent it to the first PM that came through

EMC fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 16, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Tried Titanfall, and it's cool, but as someone that doesn't care for most online FPSes - this one isn't going to change that. I really wish the maps were bigger, or it had some kind of hoarde mode co-op thing, or... anything really, to make it not just Call of Duty with robots.

That said, it's way more fun than Call of Duty. I'll be kind of disappointed if this loses at market to "the same drat game you've played for the last decade." The wall running and mobility really open up the terrain in a neat way.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Tried Titanfall, and it's cool, but as someone that doesn't care for most online FPSes - this one isn't going to change that. I really wish the maps were bigger, or it had some kind of hoarde mode co-op thing, or... anything really, to make it not just Call of Duty with robots.

That said, it's way more fun than Call of Duty. I'll be kind of disappointed if this loses at market to "the same drat game you've played for the last decade." The wall running and mobility really open up the terrain in a neat way.

Judging by buzz in general PC master race competitive players do not like it. Console gamers seem to enjoy it and I think a lot of the CoD horde are going to move to it.

My fear is a lack of gun diversity hamstrings the game length. It looks superficially like there's only 6 main gun types and worse only two of them look good. It seems silly to want 15 combat rifles like CoD but I want 15 combat rifles like CoD. Without gun weight on the rifle there dkesnt seem to be a reason not to take it.

Regardless it's been real fun, but until I read what happens on the outset of the launch I won't be sold on it for 60 bucks.

Which really doesn't change much. Every game on the One had been 40 bucks at one time or another already and it wouldnt take a month for this game to drop into that realm unless it's a huge hit, abd then it would probably be worth 60

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

MJBuddy posted:

competitive players do not like it

Considering what competition does to COD, that's probably a good thing. Competitions in COD nerf or eliminate about 80% of the game's weapons and maps.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I'm enjoying the Titanfall beta a lot more than I did the bf4 one, I'll buy it at launch.

Snapping seems more snappy after the patch, kinect notices my hands a lot better now too. The whole UI feels a bit smoother, but maybe that's just placebo. Haven't had a chance to play games so can't comment on the sharpening filter. The whole thing downloaded and installed without me knowing which was nice, I had trouble with auto downloads in the past so hopefully that's all over!

Edit: looks like the sharpening filter was definitely toned down/removed. You can see some good gif comparisons here http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/15/heres-how-the-titanfall-xbox-one-beta-improved-after-the-removal-of-the-dreaded-sharpening-filter/ nice little improvement.

Crafty fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 16, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Judging by buzz in general PC master race competitive players do not like it.

I don't think that's true. It's a really fun, yet graphically unimpressive and flawed game that's perfect to pick up and play for 30 minutes. The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

I'd say the conclusion is this: It's as silly for anyone to claim the game is garbage as much it is to claim this game is console seller. It's really fun in quick burst but not much more.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
What's the firmware number for the new update? Pretty sure my Xbone updated, but no battery meter. The game and apps section is different for me now.

edit: It was a bug had to turn my controller off and on.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 16, 2014

• Locked thread