Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't think that's true. It's a really fun, yet graphically unimpressive and flawed game that's perfect to pick up and play for 30 minutes. The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

I'd say the conclusion is this: It's as silly for anyone to claim the game is garbage as much it is to claim this game is console seller. It's really fun in quick burst but not much more.

I think you underestimate that, considering the 360 was sold mostly on the backs of Halo and Gears. This is their target market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

sba posted:

I think you underestimate that, considering the 360 was sold mostly on the backs of Halo and Gears. This is their target market.

Let's be fair, gears looked graphically impressive for its time (even if the aesthetics were meh) and halo was impressive for a console shooter. Titanfall is neither. That doesn't make it a bad game, just it's writing checks it can't cash.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just got done playing a few matches of TitanFall: I really like it. Last Titan Standing is definitely the weakest of the three modes (Help a teammate open fire on an enemy Titan, throw up shield, shoot rockets, finish with primary weapon, move onto other enemy titans, win, repeat). Seems like it would get boring fast.

The short 15-part tutorial will make FPS beta yawn, but at least people will know everything when going into battle. People have no excuse to be retarded teammates, but knowing XBox Live, they will be anyway.

The graphics aren't face-melting mesmerizing, but they are very nice. The guns have literally zero recoil. The pacing is very well done; like a non-lovely version of CoD, which compliments BF4 nicely when you want something more fast-paced and "arcadey", and that point is enough to most likely make me buy this on release.

The biggest issue I've had so far is that the two servers I've been we're a bit laggy, but that is most likely the servers fault.

The weapons will feel very familiar, but I the Titan's Quad Rocket blows. Is that thing meant for anything but close-range fights? Using that from any distance is terrible. The Titan movement is nice though. They have a little weight to them, but definitely feel more like moving a more cumbersome soldier than a mech mech like some people would think.

The player count doesn't seem to be an issue, and the banter from grunts is a nice touch. Battles seem chaotic enough to be interesting, probably due to the maps being smaller.

Going to play some more, but I definitely like what I'm seeing and playing so far.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HC333-CJG3P-6G2JV-MMKC6-33CPZ

Titanfall Beta code if anyone wants it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Iron Tusk posted:

HC333-CJG3P-6G2JV-MMKC6-33CPZ

Titanfall Beta code if anyone wants it.

Looks like someone yoinked it already, but thanks

edit, nevermind:

quote:

Later today, the teams will be opening up the Titanfall Beta to all Xbox One owners. That means no code will be necessary to download and play the beta. We are really excited to get a good test on all of our systems before launch and encourage you to join in.

To download the beta, sign in to your Xbox One and head to the “New Game Demos” section of the Game Store and it will appear there. You can also say “Xbox Bing” then “Show me game demos”.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 16, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't think that's true. It's a really fun, yet graphically unimpressive and flawed game that's perfect to pick up and play for 30 minutes. The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

I'd say the conclusion is this: It's as silly for anyone to claim the game is garbage as much it is to claim this game is console seller. It's really fun in quick burst but not much more.

This beta alone would sell for 20 bucks as an xbla title.

E: and gears was the most graphically impressive console game to come out when it did. It was a major player because it was the first game that looked really good on 360.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I am really enjoying the beta and the last FPS I really got into was BF2 BC, are there going to be more game types in the final game? I realize there will be more guns, maps etc but wondering what they have in terms of modes

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Good. Everyone should try TitanFall out for themselves. I honestly used up some of my Best Buy credit when I was out shopping earlier today with the fiancée and pre-ordered it based on all of the feedback I've been reading and watching for the past week, and playing it for just a couple of hours justified the pre-order.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Last Titan Standing is a fun mode - it's distinct, and resolves pretty dang quickly. Though the win condition should be based on PILOTS alive, not titans. That totally screwed up my awesome auto-titan DOUBLE THE GUNS strategy.

I still can't get a good feel for whether bailing for auto-titan is a good use of the resource or not. Sometimes, they seem to survive for a LONG time, and it makes excellent sense to have one of those going to lay down more firepower. Other times they pop instantly. :sigh:

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

EMC posted:

I am really enjoying the beta and the last FPS I really got into was BF2 BC, are there going to be more game types in the final game? I realize there will be more guns, maps etc but wondering what they have in terms of modes

Its all still hush hush unfortunately. There MUST be some variant of capture the flag or I'll be very disappointed. I'm hoping they are keeping quiet for a reason other than 'don't let them know how little we have!' but we'll see.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Let's be fair, gears looked graphically impressive for its time (even if the aesthetics were meh) and halo was impressive for a console shooter. Titanfall is neither.

I'm going to disagree with you in that I think titanfall is impressive for a console shooter. I can't imagine anyone that has played the beta wanting to go back to plain old cod when titanfall does everything cod does plus all the extra fun poo poo. It plays like cod on crack with a couple of extra metagames thrown in to the mix, Activision should be counting their lucky chickens getting ghosts released before this. Each to their own though I can see how a lot of people don't enjoy it.

^shalinor there's a tier 2 perk that makes your titan last longer in doomed state, maybe you have that in one of your loadouts and not the other?

Crafty fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 16, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shalinor posted:

I still can't get a good feel for whether bailing for auto-titan is a good use of the resource or not. Sometimes, they seem to survive for a LONG time, and it makes excellent sense to have one of those going to lay down more firepower. Other times they pop instantly. :sigh:

The trick to auto titans is babysitting them. Any decent player in a manned Titan who knows how to use the shield will decimate one. Also any pilot that mounts yours immediately puts it into a deactivated state so murdering pilots before they can mount for too long is key to a happy auto.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Sedisp posted:

The trick to auto titans is babysitting them. Any decent player in a manned Titan who knows how to use the shield will decimate one. Also any pilot that mounts your immediately puts it into a deactivated state so murdering pilots before they can mount for too long is key to a happy auto.

Oh yeah I misread that, thought you meant bailing when doomed. I haven't done any titan following me around, I always feel sad leaving him alone to be murdered :(

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Let's be fair, gears looked graphically impressive for its time (even if the aesthetics were meh) and halo was impressive for a console shooter. Titanfall is neither. That doesn't make it a bad game, just it's writing checks it can't cash.

I should have clarified, I meant I could see how MS will hope that it sells consoles.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Does anyone know if the prices listed in the marketplace are in Canadian dollars for those of us in Canada?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Very glad that beta ended up being free. I couldn't even see who/what was killing me, I just died seconds after spawning for the two minutes I played.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
TitanFall makes Call of Duty: Ghosts look like a Nintendo 64 game. I hope the party system gets fixed because it will split up your party members to different games. The Vsync tearing is noticeable and needs to be fixed too.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

TitanFall makes Call of Duty: Ghosts look like a Nintendo 64 game. I hope the party system gets fixed because it will split up your party members to different games. The Vsync tearing is noticeable and needs to be fixed too.

Tons of bugs when in a party. Including loading into a game where no environments render. All just a blue world.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Tearing is bad, I always notice is just as we jump out the ship to start the round. I rarely notice it after that as I'm checking minimap and looking at other poo poo but that initial tear is jarring.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
I don't think the battery meter's that useful. I was playing Titanfall earlier and the battery meter was 1/2 full. After maybe 1 or 2 hours my controller died mid match. No flashing controller or notification to warn me.

It's better then nothing but you'll need to keep checking the dashboard to monitor your battery level.

Has anyone here had any trouble with voice chat/party chat?

I joined my friends party, enabled party chat and everything was fine. I turned my console off (I use the standby mode) and when I turned my console back on my headset didn't work. The mute button would light up, but it was like the Xbox didn't realise I had plugged it in. All voice chat would play through my speakers instead of the headset.

But weirdly, Titanfall had a mic icon next to my name to show that I had a headset plugged in, and unless Upload Studio somehow re-enabled my Kinect microphone, my headset worked fine there as well. It was only in-game and party chat that didn't work.

I tried leaving and rejoining the party, quitting and relaunching Titanfall, turning my console off and on again, and none of it worked. The only thing that worked was shutting down and unplugging the Xbox, but that only fixed it until the next time I put the console in standby.

Any ideas? This is happening to me pre and post patch.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

Based on what? I haven't cared about a Call of Duty or Battlefield campaign in years, if those games removed their campaigns I would not care at all and would still buy them.

I'm loving the beta and have no problem with the games price.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
Titanfall might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly not a $20-30 B game. It's a blast to play and we've only seen a small portion of the content. If it comes with a good amount of maps and other poo poo like that it will totally be worth the $60. I'd much rather them put the time and effort behind an awesome multiplayer game and forget the bolt-on single player campaigns you see in CoD/BF that you might be able to squeeze 10 hours of scripted combat from. I've really enjoyed it and will probably be picking it up on release.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

All of the hype can be blamed as Microsoft's/EA's fault. Respawn wanted their game to stand on its own merits, not as a savior of a generation.

And I'm pretty sure $60 price is because otherwise customers might believe the game to be worse than it is. Not that I agree, but it's certainly not a $20 title. It is a prime candidate for being "Early and often" in sales.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

zenthursdays posted:

Titanfall might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly not a $20-30 B game. It's a blast to play and we've only seen a small portion of the content. If it comes with a good amount of maps and other poo poo like that it will totally be worth the $60. I'd much rather them put the time and effort behind an awesome multiplayer game and forget the bolt-on single player campaigns you see in CoD/BF that you might be able to squeeze 10 hours of scripted combat from. I've really enjoyed it and will probably be picking it up on release.

Let's see:

- only 3 Titans (which don't even seem to play that differently based on gameplay vids)

- a handful of guns/equipment

- approximately 12 maps based on files found within the beta

- no single player campaign

The game itself may be fun at its core but it sure seems like a budget title to me, especially when compared to something like CoD which comes with a full single player campaign, an average of 16 maps and dozens of guns/killstreaks/whatever.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I'm just glad they didn't go with a micro transaction model and priced the game at $30 with pay to win burn cards / xp boosts / etc.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

hanyolo posted:

I'm just glad they didn't go with a micro transaction model and priced the game at $30 with pay to win burn cards / xp boosts / etc.

I will be entirely unsurprised if they patch in pay to win microtransactions. It's the EA way! :911:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

Let's see:

- only 3 Titans (which don't even seem to play that differently based on gameplay vids)

The game itself may be fun at its core but it sure seems like a budget title to me, especially when compared to something like CoD which comes with a full single player campaign, an average of 16 maps and dozens of guns/killstreaks/whatever.

You do know in the beta there is only one titan accessible unless you have a burn card that gives you access to a 2nd, right? There are different loadouts for that one titan though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Since the update my Xbox no longer understands the word "yes" when turning it off.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You do know in the beta there is only one titan accessible unless you have a burn card that gives you access to a 2nd, right? There are different loadouts for that one titan though.

... I was in fact talking about the Atlas, Stryder and Ogre; not the different Atlas found in the beta.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Since the update my Xbox no longer understands the word "yes" when turning it off.

Same.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Well, I guess that's one way of curing the "Xbox Turn Off Yes" trolling.

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

Mom said not to run down the escalator. I hate it when Mom's right.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

This happened to me a month or two ago, not sure if there was an update related to it. I had to turn energy saving on (so no standby mode) and turn the Xbox completely off, turn it back on with the controller, and disable energy savings. Kinect started working properly again.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Doflamingo posted:

Latest rumour (based on beta files) is 14 maps. 15 if you include the training map.

quote:

lobby_image_mp_overlook
lobby_image_mp_nexus
lobby_image_mp_training_ground
lobby_image_mp_angel_city
lobby_image_mp_smugglers_cove
lobby_image_mp_rise
lobby_image_mp_airbase
lobby_image_mp_relic
lobby_image_mp_fracture
lobby_image_mp_boneyard
lobby_image_mp_lagoon
lobby_image_mp_corporate
lobby_image_mp_outpost_207 - may actually be 'Outpost 207'
lobby_image_mp_o2
lobby_image_mp_colony

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

... I was in fact talking about the Atlas, Stryder and Ogre; not the different Atlas found in the beta.

The Atlas alone has three predefined configurations, and you can customize three more. What was your expectation?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Looks like you don't even need a code for the Titanfall beta anymore.

I guess that means they're stress testing. Just took me 5 minutes to find a match.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:

Doflamingo posted:

Let's see:

The only issue I will have is if there aren't more weapons than what we've seen so far. The rest of that is fine, especially the lack of single player campaign. I don't want them wasting their time making a 10 hour scripted event that I'll never play anyway. As long as there are a good amount of weapons/perks/unlocks/etc it will definitely be comparable to a CoD release, and I play those drat things every year.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Delusibeta posted:

I will be entirely unsurprised if they patch in pay to win microtransactions.

Don't be so salty :( Remember when you bet ten dollars that the alpha textures were final, and that Respawn were lying? I think you will be wrong twice in a row.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/14/titanfalls-xbox-one-textures-improved-from-alpha-to-beta-respawn-vindicated/

If no single player means they spent more time polishing so we don't get another half baked EA turd, then that's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

zenthursdays posted:

The only issue I will have is if there aren't more weapons than what we've seen so far. The rest of that is fine, especially the lack of single player campaign. I don't want them wasting their time making a 10 hour scripted event that I'll never play anyway. As long as there are a good amount of weapons/perks/unlocks/etc it will definitely be comparable to a CoD release, and I play those drat things every year.

Recent stuff looks like a weapon list in the 20s-30s. Along with perks we could possibly expect about 60-70 levels easily.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hot Titanfall tip, it is faster to shoot the lock on pistol after the first lock-on three times than it is to wait for all three lock-ons. It still kills in three shots.

Also, the best way to win TDM (Attrition) is to farm bots, exclusively. Only pause for pilots if they impede your bot killing. You will be over 50 points higher than the 2nd place player!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chick3n posted:

Latest rumour (based on beta files) is 14 maps. 15 if you include the training map.

How the hell is a map outright called Outpost 207 only maybe Outpost 207?

Crafty posted:

Don't be so salty :( Remember when you bet ten dollars that the alpha textures were final, and that Respawn were lying? I think you will be wrong twice in a row.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/14/titanfalls-xbox-one-textures-improved-from-alpha-to-beta-respawn-vindicated/

If no single player means they spent more time polishing so we don't get another half baked EA turd, then that's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

They're only showing the guns though, not the maps.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Played a few hours of the Titanfall beta today. It was good fun. These are not my type of games, normally, but the movement and titans make it a lot more interesting. The smart gun is pretty slick for killing the bots, but it really feels like it is too weak to go toe to toe with real players. I really prefer normal weapons for that.

Also, I love the new patched UI for games and apps with the space remaining on the side. Very slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

Played a few hours of the Titanfall beta today. It was good fun. These are not my type of games, normally, but the movement and titans make it a lot more interesting. The smart gun is pretty slick for killing the bots, but it really feels like it is too weak to go toe to toe with real players. I really prefer normal weapons for that.

Also, I love the new patched UI for games and apps with the space remaining on the side. Very slick.

Don't use the lock in for the pistol on people. Just use it to locate them quickly then pick up the sights and drop them in three hits.

• Locked thread