Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midee
Jun 22, 2000

MJBuddy posted:

One of the best features of the One is the built-in calibration tool for TVs. How many people have run that? Probably not many at all.

Doesn't the Xbone still gently caress up colors when scaling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Midee posted:

No idea. I havent noticed anything.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Well Eurogamer certainly did:

quote:

The unsightly sharpening filter has been consigned to the scrapheap of technological history, removing a 'feature' that really shouldn't have been there in the first place, but while the resulting improvement to picture quality is considerable and mostly positive, colour balance is still an issue, and the quality of the scaling itself is unchanged.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

It's really not, which is evidenced by people buying Insignia sets and not Plasmas in the first place.
People know nothing about TVs. And there even being a market for 24 inch 1080ps kinda proves it since you'd have to sit basically with your nose on the screen to tell the difference between it and 720p.
There existing a sub-standard house brand or a 24" 1080 screen isn't evidence for anything relevant about "people" as some kind of consistent whole.

MS should have aimed for 1080p because it looks better. That you have to have a proper viewing setup for your visual acuity to take advantage of that goes without saying and is not any kind of point against higher quality being higher quality.

It isn't a huge deal, but it is somewhat embarrassing and let's not pretend its nothing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Hogburto posted:

There existing a sub-standard house brand or a 24" 1080 screen isn't evidence for anything relevant about "people" as some kind of consistent whole.

MS should have aimed for 1080p because it looks better. That you have to have a proper viewing setup for your visual acuity to take advantage of that goes without saying and is not any kind of point against higher quality being higher quality.

It isn't a huge deal, but it is somewhat embarrassing and let's not pretend its nothing.

I already said I've quite annoyed at it. That doesn't mean that the typical consumer can even tell, even if people will hammer them about it. It reminds me of mocking kids in elementary school because my N64 was more powerful than their playstation, only the difference in power for those two was actually larger.

Yeah I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I haven't played a lot on my One, and the scaler issues are being reported on gameplay, not my watching Hulu or running video through (where everything looks fine). Though the link you've posted seems to answer your question. My largest experience was the hour or two I got into the Titanfall beta before I got the patch and after, but I think I was distracted by flying around maps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ZombieReagan posted:

The fact that early games are struggling to hit 1080p on one console and not the other, especially when the tech is more comparable than any other generation before it is the bigger issue really. The early games have shown what most people assumed would be the case given the relative specs of the systems. The resolution is just the easiest one to nail down right now, but as the generation progresses there are going to be more complex things that get offloaded to the GPU that will end up causing problems for the Xbox One overall. The new Infamous game is using the GPU for all of the crazy particle effects, for example.

It's something that's been around for years on the PC, but has been kind of just used in a few games here and there because consoles had no support for it. That's not the case anymore and there's going to be more creative uses for it, and again that memory bottleneck and 50% fewer shaders will make a difference when these effects start becoming the standard.

I mean it's not like the Xbox's GPU is some 3DFX 1997 dinosaur. It can handle quite a lot of complex particle systems (which I don't think are really new to consoles). And as far as I can tell the old infamous's used the GPUs for the particle effects too right? Because... isn't that what GPUs do? What am I missing here?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

I mean it's not like the Xbox's GPU is some 3DFX 1997 dinosaur. It can handle quite a lot of complex particle systems (which I don't think are really new to consoles). And as far as I can tell the old infamous's used the GPUs for the particle effects too right? Because... isn't that what GPUs do? What am I missing here?

I'm sure the xbone can do all the particles, its just that Infamous on the xbone would be 720p.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 18, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure the xbone can do all the particles, its just that Infamous on the xbone would be 720p.

Yeah it would, and I'd obviously want it to be 1080p, but it'd still most likely be a comparable experience. People keep trying to paint it like we're just a moment away from the PS4 achieving singularity while the Bone struggles to play Battletoads.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it would, and I'd obviously want it to be 1080p, but it'd still most likely be a comparable experience and not as if there was a huge gigantic worlds apart rift.

Are you saying there isn't a huge difference between 720p and 1080p?

Or different scenario: One game is at 30fps and one game is at 60fps, which has a very noticeable difference.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you saying there isn't a huge difference between 720p and 1080p?

Or different scenario: One game is at 30fps and one game is at 60fps, which has a very noticeable difference.

No for Christ's sake I'm not trying to get into the dreaded resolution trap. I'm saying the games, in my opinion, would most likely have a similar gameplay experience at both 720 and 1080. I'd obviously PREFER 1080, but I'm not going to pretend it's poo poo at 720.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

No for Christ's sake I'm not trying to get into the dreaded resolution trap. I'm saying the games, in my opinion, would most likely have a similar gameplay experience at both 720 and 1080. I'd obviously PREFER 1080, but I'm not going to pretend it's poo poo at 720.

Right. Ignoring resolution and graphics, as long as they both ran at the same fps then it would be the same gameplay experience. I mean I don't see them cutting out a game mode or lowering a player count for the xbone version of a game.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Oh good another PlayStation vs Xbox argument. Have at it! :allears:

Midee posted:

What colors get hosed? I've seen loads of platform comparison shots and colors don't seem any different. Or is this the crushed blacks thing?

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Crafty posted:

What colors get hosed? I've seen loads of platform comparison shots and colors don't seem any different. Or is this the crushed blacks thing?
Hi! Please read the article I just posted! Thanks! :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Annnyyway. Moving away from the "Vs" argument from a gamers point of view... are there any really good techy-as-poo poo articles out there with a good comparison between the two systems? I was reading this article about the supposedly faster SDK becoming available and it started to get into some cool developer stuff and I'd like to learn more about the actual intricacies of the PS4 and Bone.

http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/feb/17/xbox-one-1080p-comfortably-sdk-update-says-rebellion/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Midee posted:

edit: Blarg actually I'm gonna stand corrected on this. Hubris! :argh:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

Yeah, it's the crushed blacks. Apparently there's been no change on that front with the recent firmware update (i.e. the blacks are still crushed compared to the PS4 versions).

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I already said I've quite annoyed at it. That doesn't mean that the typical consumer can even tell, even if people will hammer them about it. It reminds me of mocking kids in elementary school because my N64 was more powerful than their playstation, only the difference in power for those two was actually larger.
Really doubt I'm the one hammering, simply disagreeing with the exaggerative statement "1080p is very important in PC gaming but most people who say it matters in TVs would be hard pressed to visually even see a difference unless they're sporting a giant TV and sitting close to it."

MJBuddy posted:

It reminds me of mocking kids in elementary school because my N64 was more powerful than their playstation, only the difference in power for those two was actually larger.
And some of those kids would rebut with reasons that the 3d rendering disadvantages weren't an issue for most yada yada because whatever. Remember.
Let's just call it like it is and not deny that MS missed a clear consumer goal in launch by muddling the issue with the irrelevant suggestion that people could be missing out on the 1080p experience.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Midee posted:

Yeah, clever. I read it and it had one line that said there were color problems with zero explanation or examples, which is the first I've heard of it.

I guess they meant the blacks, which isn't really a color but there you go.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Crafty posted:

Yeah, clever. I read it and it had one line that said there were color problems with zero explanation or examples, which is the first I've heard of it.

I guess they meant the blacks, which isn't really a color but there you go.
They specifically said "color balance" which means intensity of colors. I don't know why you're in denial here, but I'm gonna take their word over yours unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it would, and I'd obviously want it to be 1080p, but it'd still most likely be a comparable experience. People keep trying to paint it like we're just a moment away from the PS4 achieving singularity while the Bone struggles to play Battletoads.

To be fair everyone everywhere struggled to play Battletoads. When I was a child my parents had a policy of having to beat whatever game you had before they'd buy you another. One day Battletoads was given to me. It was my last NES game.

Sad that all of this is because of the bad decision to go with the slower RAM.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Midee posted:

They specifically said "color balance" which means intensity of colors. I don't know why you're in denial here, but I'm gonna take their word over yours unless you have evidence to the contrary.

It's just because some people associate "color balance" with an improper shift in hue or saturation and not brightness and contrast. The article talks about gamma the whole time and then switches it to "color balance" right at the end which kind of sounded confusing since some people associate them with different properties of color (hue/saturation vs brightness/contrast). So it just sounded like they were talking about a new problem and not just referencing the old one. No need to be condescending about it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 18, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Midee posted:

Don't get so excited. I hadn't heard about the ghastly color intensity problems until now. Are they too intense or not intense enough :confused: is there an example that illustrates it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crafty posted:

That's the sacrifice you make for having a giant torch glare reflecting on your TV :v:

There's a microusb on the bone controller too but I haven't used it as I'm a part of the eneloop elite.

It's good that Ryse has taken the inevitable price drop. I still can't see myself dropping 40 dollars for a digital copy though. I'll go 25 if you're reading Hryb.

It depends on how much you like multiplayer. I loved the (extremely) short campaign that I beat the day after getting the xbone, but I tried to get into MP for a few days afterwards and bleh. Thankfully Gamestop still has that used game return policy and I used the cash from Ryse to preorder Watchdogs.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Having both consoles, I'd be very hard pushed to notice a significant difference in colour. It really seems a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Soonmot posted:

It depends on how much you like multiplayer. I loved the (extremely) short campaign that I beat the day after getting the xbone, but I tried to get into MP for a few days afterwards and bleh. Thankfully Gamestop still has that used game return policy and I used the cash from Ryse to preorder Watchdogs.

Yeah I played Ryse at a demo booth and enjoyed it. I'm looking at game rental sites so I think I'll go down that route! Can't see myself playing the MP either.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't feel like looking through review sites. Is Plants vs Zombies going to have a single player mode or is it all about being multiplayer like Titanfall?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Soonmot posted:

Is Plants vs Zombies going to have a single player mode or is it all about being multiplayer like Titanfall?

Considering the preorder bonuses are booster packs and game coins, it's probably going to be all about in-app purchases.

Looks like it's all multiplayer and co-op.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Soonmot posted:

I honestly don't feel like looking through review sites. Is Plants vs Zombies going to have a single player mode or is it all about being multiplayer like Titanfall?

There's a couch co-op horde mode which puts you against endless waves of zombies like a tower defense game.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfares-horde-mode-is-garden-ops

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Coldforge posted:

Considering the preorder bonuses are booster packs and game coins, it's probably going to be all about in-app purchases.

gently caress. It actually sounded somewhat interesting until this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crafty posted:

Don't get so excited. I hadn't heard about the ghastly color intensity problems until now. Are they too intense or not intense enough :confused: is there an example that illustrates it?

The color balance thing is actually there with 360 and PS3 too. Microsoft uses warmer colors than Sony does, and you'll have people who prefer one over the other.

Graphics people basically always prefer cool in my experience.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Aphrodite posted:

The color balance thing is actually there with 360 and PS3 too. Microsoft uses warmer colors than Sony does, and you'll have people who prefer one over the other.

Graphics people basically always prefer cool in my experience.

Yeah I guess these things can be somewhat compensated for in TV settings. Its a bit like when you get a the TV in the showroom set to DYNAMIC and every ones skin tone is a shade more orange than Jersey shore, so's it can demonstrate its ultimate power of vivid color. Its funny how little the majority of people even notice that sort of thing.

One thing plants vs zombies has going for it is pricepoint. It's 40 dollars instead of the usual 60. It also looks really fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjLVhqTDJ0 I like the boss battles there and overall the horde mode looks good.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Crafty posted:

Yeah I played Ryse at a demo booth and enjoyed it. I'm looking at game rental sites so I think I'll go down that route! Can't see myself playing the MP either.

Yeah, I got Ryse from Gamestop used and returned it when my week was up. Campaign is short but pretty fun outside of the weird turret sections. Multiplayer can be pretty fun too actually, but it gets pretty repetitive. I would recommend just picking it up for a week from Gamestop. I beat the game within 36 hours of purchasing it.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Crafty posted:

One thing plants vs zombies has going for it is pricepoint. It's 40 dollars instead of the usual 60. It also looks really fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjLVhqTDJ0 I like the boss battles there and overall the horde mode looks good.

They also said that all map DLC will be free.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

It's good that Ryse has taken the inevitable price drop. I still can't see myself dropping 40 dollars for a digital copy though. I'll go 25 if you're reading Hryb.

At 20 bucks its a fun game still covered in some legacy Kinect garbage. It just doesn't have 60 bucks of content/depth in the single player. Hell the only thing keeping you from nigh-on instantly maxing out all your stats is that there are several dead levels of XP until you hit the one that lets you unlock the final tier of upgrades.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I worry that if Xbone releases a version without the Kinect bundled that the technology will never achieve its potential. There is so much room for growth with Kinect but Microsoft won't put in the same resources if only half the owners have it. I'd hate for it to only ever be used for shouting 'over here' at some zombies, because that use is just awful.

OozieNelson
Dec 20, 2008
Anybody know how I can get my Xbox One to automatically sign in when I turn it on? I know it only takes a couple seconds to click on choose profile but it gets annoying.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

OozieNelson posted:

Anybody know how I can get my Xbox One to automatically sign in when I turn it on? I know it only takes a couple seconds to click on choose profile but it gets annoying.

I think the only other option is to have Kinect sign you in. I didn't see another choice when I looked the other day.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

SmokeyXIII posted:

I worry that if Xbone releases a version without the Kinect bundled that the technology will never achieve its potential. There is so much room for growth with Kinect but Microsoft won't put in the same resources if only half the owners have it. I'd hate for it to only ever be used for shouting 'over here' at some zombies, because that use is just awful.

The problem is that right now, there's no gaming reason to have a Kinect included in every Xbone, and the non-gaming reasons are questionable. If Microsoft deems that jettisoning a component that they aren't doing much with in order to reduce the price and try to catch up with the PS4, personally speaking I wouldn't see that as too big of a loss.

Of course, first they're going to wait and see on how well Titanfall shifts units. That said, I would not be surprised if the Kinectless SKU would be Microsoft's big reveal in a "comeback" E3 conference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Titanfall isn't going to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, since it's coming out on 360 and PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

edit: wrong thread

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 18, 2014

• Locked thread