Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

OozieNelson posted:

Anybody know how I can get my Xbox One to automatically sign in when I turn it on? I know it only takes a couple seconds to click on choose profile but it gets annoying.

I think the only other option is to have Kinect sign you in. I didn't see another choice when I looked the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

SmokeyXIII posted:

I worry that if Xbone releases a version without the Kinect bundled that the technology will never achieve its potential. There is so much room for growth with Kinect but Microsoft won't put in the same resources if only half the owners have it. I'd hate for it to only ever be used for shouting 'over here' at some zombies, because that use is just awful.

The problem is that right now, there's no gaming reason to have a Kinect included in every Xbone, and the non-gaming reasons are questionable. If Microsoft deems that jettisoning a component that they aren't doing much with in order to reduce the price and try to catch up with the PS4, personally speaking I wouldn't see that as too big of a loss.

Of course, first they're going to wait and see on how well Titanfall shifts units. That said, I would not be surprised if the Kinectless SKU would be Microsoft's big reveal in a "comeback" E3 conference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Titanfall isn't going to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, since it's coming out on 360 and PC.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

edit: wrong thread

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 18, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

big mean giraffe posted:

Titanfall isn't going to sell a lot of Xbox Ones, since it's coming out on 360 and PC.

Which is why I wouldn't be too surprised if they announced a Kinectless SKU at E3. :v: But seriously, with the PS4 running past 5 million and the Xbone estimated to be about 3.5 million, it's getting to the stage where they really has to do *something*.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

OozieNelson posted:

Anybody know how I can get my Xbox One to automatically sign in when I turn it on? I know it only takes a couple seconds to click on choose profile but it gets annoying.

Kinect not recognize you? Auto sign in is soooooo last gen. Hopefully there will be the option soon but there's none at the moment.

Oh look Delusibeta posting about the PS4 again. :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Delusibeta posted:

Which is why I wouldn't be too surprised if they announced a Kinectless SKU at E3. :v: But seriously, with the PS4 running past 5 million and the Xbone estimated to be about 3.5 million, it's getting to the stage where they really has to do *something*.

Even if they remove the Kinect and lower the price the system is still garbage since all games aren't 1080p. At least with the Kinect they have something differentiating them from the PS4.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Delusibeta posted:

The problem is that right now, there's no gaming reason to have a Kinect included in every Xbone, and the non-gaming reasons are questionable. If Microsoft deems that jettisoning a component that they aren't doing much with in order to reduce the price and try to catch up with the PS4, personally speaking I wouldn't see that as too big of a loss.

Of course, first they're going to wait and see on how well Titanfall shifts units. That said, I would not be surprised if the Kinectless SKU would be Microsoft's big reveal in a "comeback" E3 conference.

Maybe you're right. I don't enjoy the Kinect in the ~serious~ games and there isn't even anything past the demo for Sports Rivals that interests me with it. I picked the Xbone because my kid is really little and I figured we could get him playing Kinect games faster than controller games. Time will tell I guess if Microsoft puts in the leg work to make the thing worthwhile. I really believe that it could be awesome though, it just needs work.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000

Wheany posted:

gently caress. It actually sounded somewhat interesting until this.

Goddamnit. Yeah I was all set to get this, even though 40$ is kinda steep. In-App purchases too? No thanks.

Not loving the prevalence of IAP garbage in full priced games.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Soul Glo posted:

I think the only other option is to have Kinect sign you in. I didn't see another choice when I looked the other day.

This is correct, if you're not using the Kinect you have to manually sign in every time you turn on the system. Also, it sucks.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Is it pretty common for wifi info to not be remembered? I feel like this is a pretty simple feature to implement.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

The Berzerker posted:

This is correct, if you're not using the Kinect you have to manually sign in every time you turn on the system. Also, it sucks.

On the plus side if you have multiple users that sign in and out all day (as is my case), it's a pretty good upgrade from the 360.

^^^^ My bone has been on wireless and it hasn't forgotten anything. Maybe because it hasn't been moved anywhere? What's your scenario?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

OldPueblo posted:

On the plus side if you have multiple users that sign in and out all day (as is my case), it's a pretty good upgrade from the 360.

^^^^ My bone has been on wireless and it hasn't forgotten anything. Maybe because it hasn't been moved anywhere? What's your scenario?

Pretty much after any Xbone update or if I shut down the device completely and remove the power source it will forget the wifi info and make me re-enter it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

withoutclass posted:

Is it pretty common for wifi info to not be remembered? I feel like this is a pretty simple feature to implement.

Hmmm. Mine doesn't forget. I even did a update, full shut down PLUS power source removal the other day and it remembered just fine when I booted back up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

You could have the 360 not sign in automatically too.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Aphrodite posted:

You could have the 360 not sign in automatically too.

I think he means Kinect sign in, not auto sign in. Auto wouldn't work with multiple different users.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I always thought that the auto-sign in with Kinect was slick, but it only works that way if I don't put a login password on my account, which I guess is obvious since you need the controller to put a password in.

Also, people still complaining about 720p and having to have a Kinect are pretty funny. Am I the only one that can't really notice a difference between 720p/900p and 1080p and don't freak out when there's a Kinect in the same box as my console? It kinda sucks that a console in 2013 isn't full-fledged HD all-around, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Crafty posted:

I think he means Kinect sign in, not auto sign in. Auto wouldn't work with multiple different users.

Correct. Before with the 360 my account would auto sign-in for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon family convenience. Then people would need to start the sign-in/out juggle if they wanted to play games.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PSA: Do not get your Xbone controller substantially wet, or it will poo poo the bed in dramatic fashion.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Blue Raider posted:

PSA: Do not get your Xbone controller substantially wet, or it will poo poo the bed in dramatic fashion.

Isn't this... sort of obvious? I mean are you really surprised to learn that this isn't a good idea?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So... I played the Zoo Tycoon demo and I'm probably going to buy Zoo Tycoon since PvZ is mainly multiplayer :psyduck:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

So I had this happen and I thought it was just a one-off titanfall beta thing. Guess not, FYI. You can get a black screen on your bone after the recent update. Hold power button to fix.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5422976/xbox-one-black-screen-error

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Blue Raider posted:

Probably don't get electronics wet bud

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Most electronic gizmos just stop turning on when they get wet, I'm interested in what "dramatic" entails

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Most electronic gizmos just stop turning on when they get wet, I'm interested in what "dramatic" entails

The Kinect records waits for you to enter the room then turns on the system and TV and displays photos of your loved ones and then uses blast processing to melt the flesh off their faces in real time.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Blue Raider posted:

Thank god I don't need a controller for my bath time Kinect web show.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Barudak posted:

The Kinect records waits for you to enter the room then turns on the system and TV and displays photos of your loved ones and then uses blast processing to melt the flesh off their faces in real time.

at 720p

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Charles Martel posted:

I always thought that the auto-sign in with Kinect was slick, but it only works that way if I don't put a login password on my account, which I guess is obvious since you need the controller to put a password in.

Also, people still complaining about 720p and having to have a Kinect are pretty funny. Am I the only one that can't really notice a difference between 720p/900p and 1080p and don't freak out when there's a Kinect in the same box as my console? It kinda sucks that a console in 2013 isn't full-fledged HD all-around, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

Excuse me but 1080 > 720. Sure I can't see the difference, but I know it exists. :colbert:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Is there any word on when Twitch streaming will be offered to us?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

withoutclass posted:

Excuse me but 1080 > 720. Sure I can't see the difference, but I know it exists. :colbert:

I think you might be misinterpreting the discussion a little bit.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

To be honest, it's not a deal breaker now, but it will be once the new generation of televisions is released. 1080 is becoming more commonplace, and TVs larger. It's similar to online multiplayer not being an integral part of gaming in the PS2/Xbox Original era, and having that be the defacto value-grabber for modern games. You could launch without online, but you better have a drat good reason to do so (I.e. Skyrim). Similarly, The Xbox having a lower resolution isn't huge now, but it better make up for it in some other way.

But I don't think resolution is what's going to ultimately cause a dramatic gulf in game quality, but the graphical horsepower might cause a disparity in games that rely on detailed graphics for...whatever reason (Not a huge gamer, play occasionally). That, coupled with higher price and lack of killer app for the Kinect is gonna make it a very hard sell to Wii Fitness/casual gaming crowd, and leave the 'hardcore' gamers looking towards PC or PS4 for multiplatform games.

I can see a difference between 720 and 1080 on my TV, but not everyone can. Without something unique to differentiate the Xbox One from other consoles, the extra price and lower horsepower don't translate well in the eyes of the consumer.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

withoutclass posted:

It's a clear difference and the fact that it's $100 more than the ps4 which can reach 1080p is a big problem.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you can't see the difference between 1080 and 720 seriously look into glasses. Not even joking.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

SparkPeople posted:

To be honest, it's not a deal breaker now, but it will be once the new generation of televisions is released. 1080 is becoming more commonplace, and TVs larger. It's similar to online multiplayer not being an integral part of gaming in the PS2/Xbox Original era, and having that be the defacto value-grabber for modern games. You could launch without online, but you better have a drat good reason to do so (I.e. Skyrim). Similarly, The Xbox having a lower resolution isn't huge now, but it better make up for it in some other way.

But I don't think resolution is what's going to ultimately cause a dramatic gulf in game quality, but the graphical horsepower might cause a disparity in games that rely on detailed graphics for...whatever reason (Not a huge gamer, play occasionally). That, coupled with higher price and lack of killer app for the Kinect is gonna make it a very hard sell to Wii Fitness/casual gaming crowd, and leave the 'hardcore' gamers looking towards PC or PS4 for multiplatform games.

I can see a difference between 720 and 1080 on my TV, but not everyone can. Without something unique to differentiate the Xbox One from other consoles, the extra price and lower horsepower don't translate well in the eyes of the consumer.

Look at it this way. Developers can sort output by preferences. So far, it seems clear that identical games are on Xbox as 720 or 30 fps. But the graphical quality hasn't been reduced, beyond resolutions. The real danger in the race for Xbox is when the PlayStation produces a game that's so intensive it needs to run at 720p and the Xbox frankly has no option other than to reduce quality. That's how the gap widens. If PS4 games continue to comfortably hit 1080p, then One games will be able to replicate that at 720p.

When creating games, resolution is the easiest weight to dump because a. It takes a ton if resources to increase meaningfully, b. The install base of 1080p tvs is lower. C. Even those with 1080p tvs don't calibrate them, have high refresh rates, large enough screens, or sit close enough to even see a difference.

Focusing on resolution is a lovely way to classify this generation, when yes of course I want 1080p over 720p but if that demand holds we will see slower development of solid next gen titles because developers will scale back graphics to hit a benchmark that's not as valuable. I'd rather the power go to a better looking game than to make it 1080p instead of 720p. I'm not saying the Xbox is doing that, because it's not, but jumps to high fps and resolutions instead of impressive visuals is a bad tradeoff. I don't want the PS4 to be afraid of doing better because it might have to lower it's resolution.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I personally hated how many games made compromises on resolution on consoles last gen. They all had sweet lighting and huge crowds of people in cities, but about 15 pixels to display them with. Going back and forth between my PC for most games and my PS3 for exclusives for the last year has been really jarring.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

withoutclass posted:

In all seriousness though, this is where Microsoft missed the boat. 1080 is more than 720.

I remember reading about a burger chain that released a 1/3rd pound burger to compete with the Quarter Pounder.

Sales tanked. In survey groups they found out that most people subconsciously identified the quarter pounder as the bigger burger, because 4 is bigger than 3.

Even if people can't see the difference, numbers matter. I have to wonder just how Microsoft missed the boat so badly.

I'm curious to see how big and many the differences are between Titanfall 360 and One. Cool game that it is, why would I buy an Xbox One if I can get the exact same experience on the 360?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Even if people can't see the difference, numbers matter. I have to wonder just how Microsoft missed the boat so badly.

They named their third console the Xbox One.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

voltron lion force posted:

They named their third console the Xbox One.

Ha good point. Though to be fair they were in a tough position. Xbox 3 wouldn't sound as good as PS4, and maybe they didn't go with Xbox 720 because they knew resolution was going to give them enough bad PR as is.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Shalinor posted:

Realized tonight that for auto login to work, Kinect not only has to see you, but you have to be holding the controller with the IR blinkers pointed at the Kinect. So if anyone's having issues with it flat out not recognizing you, try that. I tended to not pick the controller up when turning it on for Netflix, so auto sign-in never worked. :smith:
I don't think that's correct -- it recognizes my wife when she walks in to tell me turn the stereo down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Pixelboy posted:

I don't think that's correct -- it recognizes my wife when she walks in to tell me turn the stereo down.

Seconding this. Frickin wives.

• Locked thread