Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If anyone else has a spare TitanFall beta code, I will gladly be your valentine. I still haven't gotten an e-mail for the beta, and I would love to play it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Funkmaster General posted:

If you don't mind being a little scummy about it, you can pull a valid-but-used PC code from one of the twitter giveaways and go through EA's support system saying you have a PC code and need an XBONE code. They've got an automated process that's swapping valid codes for one system for codes for the other. Takes about two hours. Several of my friends said they had success doing this.

No, I don't want to take a code away from someone else who is on the fence and genuinely wants to try it out. I'd rather a code from someone who has no interest in it.

Either way, I've been watching videos and reading the thread trying to get a feel for how it is. Seems promising so far.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Soonmot posted:

If anyone has a spare Titanfall key, PM me. I played Dead Island on the 360 right before I got my xbone and discovered that I no longer get motion sick from FPS games.

Last night, I got the idea of e-mailing Origin support and straight-up asking for a beta key from the TitanFall thread, and right before I went to bed this morning, I had one sitting in my inbox. No bullshit. Should be fully downloaded by the time I get home.

Just e-mail Origin and ask for a key.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just got done playing a few matches of TitanFall: I really like it. Last Titan Standing is definitely the weakest of the three modes (Help a teammate open fire on an enemy Titan, throw up shield, shoot rockets, finish with primary weapon, move onto other enemy titans, win, repeat). Seems like it would get boring fast.

The short 15-part tutorial will make FPS beta yawn, but at least people will know everything when going into battle. People have no excuse to be retarded teammates, but knowing XBox Live, they will be anyway.

The graphics aren't face-melting mesmerizing, but they are very nice. The guns have literally zero recoil. The pacing is very well done; like a non-lovely version of CoD, which compliments BF4 nicely when you want something more fast-paced and "arcadey", and that point is enough to most likely make me buy this on release.

The biggest issue I've had so far is that the two servers I've been we're a bit laggy, but that is most likely the servers fault.

The weapons will feel very familiar, but I the Titan's Quad Rocket blows. Is that thing meant for anything but close-range fights? Using that from any distance is terrible. The Titan movement is nice though. They have a little weight to them, but definitely feel more like moving a more cumbersome soldier than a mech mech like some people would think.

The player count doesn't seem to be an issue, and the banter from grunts is a nice touch. Battles seem chaotic enough to be interesting, probably due to the maps being smaller.

Going to play some more, but I definitely like what I'm seeing and playing so far.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Good. Everyone should try TitanFall out for themselves. I honestly used up some of my Best Buy credit when I was out shopping earlier today with the fiancée and pre-ordered it based on all of the feedback I've been reading and watching for the past week, and playing it for just a couple of hours justified the pre-order.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I always thought that the auto-sign in with Kinect was slick, but it only works that way if I don't put a login password on my account, which I guess is obvious since you need the controller to put a password in.

Also, people still complaining about 720p and having to have a Kinect are pretty funny. Am I the only one that can't really notice a difference between 720p/900p and 1080p and don't freak out when there's a Kinect in the same box as my console? It kinda sucks that a console in 2013 isn't full-fledged HD all-around, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just wanted to play a couple more Titanfall matches when I came home from work and...and....the beta servers are offline.

I...NEED MY FIX! My body feels so cold...Hearing "Acknowledged. Standby for Titanfall", "ENGAGING FOLLOW MODE", and "ENGAGING GUARD MODE" are now but distant memories...

It's a good thing that March 11th is right around the corner....right? Right, guys?

*looks at calendar*

:smithicide:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Plus the fact of downloading a ~30GB game when you have a poo poo DSL connection where your download caps out at 100kbps. I really need to give Comcast a call and upgrade.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Days in advance would be good, but then we run into the 500GB HD space limitation. Having a disc on-hand is easy for when you want to do quicker re-installed of games you have to delete to clear up some space. I hope that external drive space gets added soon.

And that whole bug where if you leave a game running in the background, switch to TV, and go back to the game later and it doesn't recognize any of the controller inputs is getting annoying. You either have to turn the controller off and back on or restart the game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Don Lapre posted:

If anyone still wants a day one microsoft is still selling them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Day-One-Edition/261408843742

The Achievement is still selling for ~$20

The only thing more inane than continously bashing the XBox and the NSA talk in this thread is people actually paying money for one of these. Wouldn't the achievement register with the date you put it in? If you didn't put this achievement onto your profile on November 22nd, 2013, doesn't that make is completely loving pointless and makes whomever does it look like an idiot?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Maxwell Adams posted:

The camera isn't just a basic webcam, there's an infrared emitter spitting out a grid of IR light. It can measure how far each grid point is, which makes it a 3d depth sensor. These guys say the Kinect costs $75 to manufacture.

Which is why there is a very high chance that you will never see a "Kinect-less" XBox One. It's an intregal part of the system's ecosystem and would pretty much break all of the functionality that makes the system unique. The sooner people get over it, the better.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dan Didio posted:

The fact that to fix a problem with Kinect you have to block out/disconnect it's defining feature is pretty depressing.

Not nearly as depressing as the "criticisms" that keep coming up in every single XBox One thread. It's a good thing there's other platforms to play video games on. A lot of people don't mind the Kinect, don't mind the "terrible" UI, or any other small element of a system that the same people are bitching about over and over and over again. :regd08:

Jesus Christ, people. Is the XBox One perfect? No. Is ANY gaming platform perfect? No. The whole "Kinect is spying on you" tinfoil hat watchdog conspiracy isn't worth worrying about since webcams on other devices, smartphones, and social media sites are far more likely to be more viable sources for various agencies or whomever to get your private data from. Don't want the Kinect? Don't buy the console. It's had the occassional quirk for me where it doesn't hear a command if someone else is talking in the room and is closer to the Kinect than me, but I've had a 100% success rate with the "XBox On" command. But hey, if the Kinect doesn't work 100% of the time all the time, it's a pile of poo poo, right? Funny that just about all other electronic devices can have a qwirk once in a while, but the Kinect gets dogpiled on at the slightest thing it does wrong, and I'm sick and tired of reading it.

The OMG NO 1080P MY PIXELS :qq: discussion is stupid for two reasons: The XBox One isn't marketed as a dedicated gaming console and more as a AIO entertainment device for the living room, and if people wanted graphics so mind-blowing, there are, again, other platforms to consider. While spergs are on PS4s, PCs, or whatever staring at polygons and pixels of a tree up close, I'll be running around buildings at light speed turning other players into swiss cheese and making giant robots explode in TitanFall in a couple weeks. It still looks great for what it is, but you would swear some people think it looks like a stuttering version of Atari's Adventure.

Complaints are warranted, but it's just grasping at straws in my eyes at this point.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fallom posted:

You probably shouldn't be 1) mocking mental illnesses and 2) ignoring that Titanfall is coming out on the PC in order to defend your purchase.

I'm not doing either one, but thanks. I'd focus more on not shitposting if I were you.

Edit:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

When you find crazy posts like this you're meant to post them in this thread and source them otherwise people think you're also crazy.

So calling trolls on their bullshit is crazy?

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dan Didio posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way, I guess? I didn't even mention half of that stuff. People are going to criticize what is, essentially, a console that's already made a series of very public stumbles and blunders and has clearly failed in some regards. I really don't see why it should bother you so much. But it's probably going to keep happening. The Xbox One's shortcomings are as valid a topic of discussion as any other, unless I'm mistaken, and I would argue that it's a more interesting one as well.

No, you didn't, but the comment I quoted from you is the type of stuff I made my post about. I said "people", not "Dan Didio" for that reason.

All I'm saying is, if people are going to critize it, then post something worth criticizing. I'm just tired of reading the same strawman arguments over and over again in what should be a more neutral discussion about the system. The "shortcomings" that keep coming up have been done to death. The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Welp that's what the SH/SC Windows 8 thread was eventually restricted to so I guess he's hoping for the same result.

The greatest irony in that post was the use of :qq: to describe other posters, just beautiful

Using an emoticon in my one of two posts in this thread to voice concern over the same group of posters who keep bring up the same poo poo dozens and dozens of times over the course of two megathreads aren't the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder if those people even have an XBox One or have actually used one. If they did, most of the criticisms wouldn't be nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but it's easier to be indignant.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

DancingShade posted:

I've used an Xbox 360 extensively. That's close enough right? I mean the graphical output is about the same and the games take less time to install :v:

Good point. A lot of 360 games can't do 1080p after the console has been out for almost nine years. It's just MS dropping the ball again as always and making GBS threads all over it's fanbase. Not sure about the Kinect either. Have you heard that it can spy on you? Here, let me quote this article that has nothing to do with that so I can fail miserably to try and prove my point.

Let us have this enlightening circle jerk every other page in the thread to constantly remind people about what a failure the XBox is.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Making this the OP in a giant bolded font followed by "if you still want to buy one or already own, read on" might be useful.

Because page after page of 'its more expensive, less powerful, etc' is not useful - we already know this. It hasnt changed and when it does that might be useful to discuss, but right now its page after page of console warriors saying the same things over and over again and pretending its 'discussing pros and cons' rather than being a console warrior defending indefensible negative things about the bone or stating the same negative things over and over and

I more meant add "its substantially more expensive and significantly slower" to the OP because once you know that and post about it are just intentionally trolling about simple indisputable facts. I dont think there is an issue with the same questions coming up over and over again, its just the same questions coming up over and over again that have very simple answers that could be answered with a bullet point in the OP because every time they are discussed in the thread it leads to console warriors taking up arms.

BonoMan posted:

And I don't understand why people don't just post and move on? If you feel negatively about the system (and there's reason to) then post and move on. If you're in here for months on end fighting some never ending battle then maybe you should take a step back and take a breather..

It's nice to see some sanity in this thread. Thank you both for explaining what I was trying to in a more eloquent way.

Edit: Also, :lol: at all the butthurt people in the shark tank thread. Looks like I touched quite the nerve with a simple opinion.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 1, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Kewpuh posted:

While I agree that it's probably sometimes tiring to see people take a poo poo on whatever console you've decided to go with this generation, I also think posts like this serve no purpose whatsoever. Talk about the system, not about people that talk about the system.

For sure, yeah. I didn't think people would throw such an embarrassing hissy fit over me saying something. Just going to ignore it now.

Anyway, moving on: One gripe I've had about the XBOne is the 500GB hard drive. Has there been any news on when external storage will be supported I might have missed? I don't feel like breaking open the system to change the internal drive, and 500GB is small when you have game developers that love to throw 30-40GB unoptimized games out the door.

I hope that's next after the party system update.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone know if the Day One content that was available in first-print runs of Ryse, Forza 5, and Dead Rising 3 is available separately at all?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Do a lot of people still play multiplayer in Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

King Burgundy posted:

I just tried IDARB. This game is dumb.

It needs matchmaking where if you want to play online by yourself, you don't get stuck in 1v1 matches, which are boring. After asking about it, Mike Mika said to me on Twitter that they are working on a way for one person to get matched into a team with a spot open so teams can form out of individual people like matching in most online games work. When that happens, I'll play it more.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

At least that means you can do something with it

:golfclap:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

a large trout posted:

is the The One any good yet?

It always has been.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

INDIE GAMES: http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/games-idxbox-gdc-2015

Shovel Knight and Magic: The Gathering (free-to-play) are coming to Xbox One!

Finally. I knew Shovel Knight would eventually come to the One true platform. :v: Welp, just give me a release date boys and $15 is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just wanted to say that Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the best games I've ever played and if you haven't played it, do so immediately.

• Locked thread