Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VincesUndies posted:

I've read the battery life is terrible on the DS4. Probably best to just stick with the 360 controller.

The battery life is about 7-9 hours on the DS4 playing a regular PS4 game. No idea what it's like with the LED turned off. If it's all the same anyway a 360 pad with Eneloops will indeed last several times longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

withoutclass posted:

Excuse me but 1080 > 720. Sure I can't see the difference, but I know it exists. :colbert:

I think you might be misinterpreting the discussion a little bit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I personally hated how many games made compromises on resolution on consoles last gen. They all had sweet lighting and huge crowds of people in cities, but about 15 pixels to display them with. Going back and forth between my PC for most games and my PS3 for exclusives for the last year has been really jarring.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, prices have dropped a lot but the 30hz thing seems... dumb. I also have no idea what you would do with a 4k display, much like I have no idea what you do with a 3d display. My girlfriends parents have a 3d tv and I watched like 10 minutes of a college football game and just thought 'welp, these glasses are dumb' and just switched back to the normal channel.

And with the 4k, if Tomb Raider runs at 1080p30 on the xbox and 1080p45-50ish on the PS4, what the gently caress game would ever be able to run at 4k? Pretty much nothing on this generation of hardware.

Trine 2 can do 4K@30fps right now but Sony hasn't patched in support for it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't have an iPhone but I just tested this and it works just fine on Android.

Not only does it work on Android, it works with multiple incorrect pronunciations. Voice controls aren't all bad.

edit: Siri can't figure out any of those pronunciations, wow :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They should give away Windows Phone/Surface apps as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I would be more concerned about it if the PS4 wasnt hitting its limit too, but it is. BF4 runs at 900p60 on PS4 and 720p60 on the xbone. I just dont give enough of a poo poo to worry about fairly small differences like that. If they can do good looking singleplayer games at 1080p30 or 900p30 and multiplayer games at 720p60 then I am cool with it. And they can, and are doing those things.

Better looking graphics are better but arent anywhere near a deal breaker for me.

Rest assured, nobody's maxing out either console this shortly after launch. The Xbox's limit will always be lower than the PS4's, but both consoles will continue looking better throughout the generation.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nika posted:

Sure did! It was twice as expensive as I thought it was!

Isn't this the literal exact behavior that's turning the steam early access thing into such a poo poo show?

It's somewhat similar, but the important difference is that Ground Zeroes is intended as a real retail product. It's just one that's short and has an unresolved story, not one where development has simply not been completed. The Early Access model would be them selling a beta or alpha of The Phantom Pain and asking players to follow development as it happens, suffering through the bugs, changes, and growing pains.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A c E posted:

This, it all depends on the devs. Even steam games you see this. Some allow you to start when the game is at 30% others not until 80%, the rest at 100%. I know a lot of the source games allow you to start playing before 50% or at least that's what I recall.

I've never heard of that feature on Steam, which is strange because I've spent thousands and thousands of hours playing games on it. When was that added? For comparison, on PS4 games can be played anywhere from a few moments to a few minutes after putting the disc in(gets a little more complicated if the game has several modes), so there's hope for a future where Xbox One is pretty close to disc in -> play game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's kind of bullshit if you go digital for games on the xbox one you can't get any of the preorder bonuses. Are we just sol for the Destiny beta if we don't pre-order a physical copy?

Preorder on Amazon, attach the code to your account, cancel preorder, preorder(or don't, that's a better move) at your storefront of choice. Obviously the beta isn't out yet so I can't one hundred percent say for sure that this works but my beta code is still attached to my bungie account and I have long since canceled my preorder.

Edit: just to be thorough, my preorder was for the PS4 version, but I doubt there's any way it matters.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Isn't the ESRAM thing basically just the Cell thing from last gen? As in, a hardware quirk that PC devs took a while to figure out if they even did at all?

The in-house Playstation game devs really picked up the ball there near the end, you have to give them credit where it's due.

It's too soon to get super worried about anything, I think.

Comparing ESRAM to the Cell is a red herring. Maybe developers will be able to fit 1080p into the ESRAM later, but unlike the PS3 with the Cell, it will never allow the Xbox One to be as powerful as the PS4.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobtista posted:

Oh yeah, no doubt the gap will get smaller. People just have to accept they aren't going to see parity for multiplats (and most likely equivalent first party titles too since an in-house dev is generally going to push the hardware to the limit) unless Sony poo poo the bed big time and the xbone becomes the preferred development platform so PS4 games are gimped by devs not wanting to put in extra work.

You guys need to be prepared for the idea that PS4 multiplats could as easily be even better looking compared to Xbox One games in the future as otherwise. Things will happen that will make Xbox One games look better than now, but Sony will also be working on making PS4 games look better. If the various secret sauces people are proposing for Xbox don't cancel Sony's new developments out, expect the gap to widen as developers concentrate on the more popular platform.

Edit: I should have refreshed.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

We are kinda at the point where slightly higher res textures and resolutions and framerates only hold so much sway for people. I was playing Wind Waker HD on the Wii U the other day and was as impressed by the graphics in that game as any I have ever seen. I appreciate Second Son being completely absurd on a technical level and I realize that game sets the standard that other AAA titles will be chasing. Its a fantastic looking game.

But the art direction in Wind Waker HD is such that despite pixel counts and running on hardware significantly less powerful than the bone, its incredibly pretty and impressive.

I'm not saying that I wouldnt prefer the bone to be as powerful as possible, but the bone is significantly more powerful than the WiiU and my PC is significantly more powerful than a PS4. If I want the best looking games, ill get them for my PC. Its just not the most important thing to me most of the time.

Sounds like you could have saved some money with the SD version of that game though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

My point isnt that the bone is a better machine because it is slower and therefore magically makes devs more creative or something obviously stupid like that. My point is that at this point in the history of video games I prefer games that have great art direction over games that are pushing envelope in terms of whats possible in a lot of cases. Great art direction is great even on inferior technology, hence the reference to Wind Waker rather than a bone game. I agree that there arent a lot of instances on the bone of excellent art direction. Maybe Sunset Overdrive will break that trend, but its pretty far out to be speculating on.

Well, again, you did pick the HD version. I realize that it has other things besides a higher resolution but it's not like the PS4 is only good at making higher resolutions, it's just a bigger graphics powerhouse and developers will naturally have more of everything available for use. For my money, a more powerful system is exactly what I want if I want pretty looking art, because I want to see the artist's vision in as clear detail as possible, not squashed and stretched.

For what it's worth the Wii U is supposed to have a better graphics processor than the 360.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Windwaker is like 20 bucks on eBay was what I was getting at. I'm not pointing it out to call you dumb or a hypocrite, I am just trying to convince/show you that the technology matters even when you're mostly interested in a colorful cartoon man. It's not always obvious that that's true.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It wasn't Spencer's idea. It was the idea of a huge mass of people who repeatedly asked for it and expressed strong distaste for the Kinect bundle policy. For almost an entire year.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In this metaphor, Spencer is Jesus and Microsoft is a group of unwashed and ignorant sinners. His death at their hands will be particularly devastating for Xbox.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ape Agitator posted:

Damnit, now I want that out of Minecraft.

GLSL shaders are free, so have at it!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

He just means it's not grinding because it's so fun :allears:.

"Farming" might be more applicable, whatever.

You don't grind or farm in those games unless you're sequence breaking or trying to plat it. That's what he's saying.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Commissar Ken posted:

Hahaha, christ. I thought I clicked the other Xbone thread instead and this right here kept the illusion up.

To be fair right now this is a much better and funnier thread. This whole console warriorism thing has gotten a little dark.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't really make sense to get into the handheld market right now. The only thing it might be cool for them to do on that front is putting Remote Play type functionality on Windows 8/Phone 8/RT, but they have to come up with a good solution for controlling it first, since nobody wants to carry an Xbox controller on the go.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

King Burgundy posted:

I long for the day of no exclusives and everything available on every device. Sadly, even with this DR3 news, we are nowhere near that day.

It's true though, exclusives are anti-consumer whenever they're not simply limited by logistics. Multiplats are strictly better for anyone who isn't a platform holder.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zarron posted:

I am really considering either buying an X1 now or waiting for black Friday when I can get a better deal.

I dunno what your gaming situation is like for the meantime but if E3 is what convinced you, you might as well wait for some of those games to come out. Black Friday seems like a good option.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I used to play Halo online through system link and a tunneling service called Xbox Connect. It was laggy as poo poo but it was pretty interesting at the time and I spent a decent number of Saturday mornings playing split screen + online team death match and CTF on Chill Out. I don't think the nostalgia is enough for me though.

If Namco didn't have the patent on loading screen games, maybe they could have you play Marathon 2 multiplayer between maps.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If Phil 'Games' Spencer is supposedly the head of all this poo poo I sure hope he can abolish the policy that literally JUST restricts the games that can be on Xbox and nothing else(doesn't even quality control them!) because it's the opposite of every single thing he says he's about. It's an indefensible policy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ori will also be on PC.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is Scalebound even a video game yet?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

As much as every other game shown this year that was CG only, but we always get a lot of that from both big hardware makers.

I can't name a game at the Sony conference that didn't have real-time footage or gameplay at the show.

edit: Maybe the R&C remake.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Bloodborne was just a cg trailer when we've already gotten bootleg gifs online. I was super bummed about that.

e: I was being hyperbolic and said console makers when I should have just said devs. EA got up and showed basically nothing but sports games which are never surprising (though pretty) and a Battlefield mod. CONCEPT FOOTAGE. SWEET.

Bloodborne had gameplay at the show, it just wasn't officially available to the general public(that I know of).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Volgarr is pretty fun if you like Ghouls and Ghosts and games like it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Steam radial menu is pretty fast once you get good. It's like T9 sorta.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You'd think one more public 180 wouldn't mean much to them, but I guess this is probably the single shittiest policy of this whole thing and they don't want to highlight it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Many of those games are sub 720p and therefore not really HD. A 1080p rerelease of Halo 3 for instance is an actual HD update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh the humanity

I'm not sure what this reaction is about.

• Locked thread