Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thread title should be "Will Titanfall bring all the pilots to the yard?" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shalinor posted:

Realized tonight that for auto login to work, Kinect not only has to see you, but you have to be holding the controller with the IR blinkers pointed at the Kinect. So if anyone's having issues with it flat out not recognizing you, try that. I tended to not pick the controller up when turning it on for Netflix, so auto sign-in never worked. :smith:

Now I patronizingly wave it at the Kinect, which it seems to grasp, though I feel the sarcasm is lost on it.

How does it auto-sign in lamps and cats then? I'm assuming motion on cats?

drat what others say, it's a cool feature that I wish I had on my 360.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't think that's true. It's a really fun, yet graphically unimpressive and flawed game that's perfect to pick up and play for 30 minutes. The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

I'd say the conclusion is this: It's as silly for anyone to claim the game is garbage as much it is to claim this game is console seller. It's really fun in quick burst but not much more.

All of the hype can be blamed as Microsoft's/EA's fault. Respawn wanted their game to stand on its own merits, not as a savior of a generation.

And I'm pretty sure $60 price is because otherwise customers might believe the game to be worse than it is. Not that I agree, but it's certainly not a $20 title. It is a prime candidate for being "Early and often" in sales.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I had a 360 because it came out first and looked better than any of the consoles I already owned. I loved it for Call of Duty 2 and still the hell out of Halo 2 on it. It became my default platform for awhile until I went back into PC gaming. But now with PC gaming and Playstation I really don't see a reason to own an Xbox console. Don't get me wrong I will probably never get rid of my 360 for as long as it works so I can keep going back and playing Halo campaigns. But my love for those exclusives have sort of ran out.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'd most likely get an Xbox One late in its life cycle like I did with a PS3. It would leave me with a ton of exclusives (hopefully) and none of the awful stuff that plagued the platform in the beginning (hopefully).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Crafty posted:

What did I lie about? Think maybe you got me confused with the other guy.

You said that there are good Kinect games and we all know that is a huge drat lie. :colbert:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think you might be missing the point. Users assume their conversations on Skype are private (which is reasonable). However that assumption is dangerous. If those conversations can't be guaranteed as private, I feel MS should have a sizable notification text overlay that reminds users their video and audio streaming can be and will be monitored.

Even then there are things like users getting banned for swearing in a video they uploaded to skydrive using the xbox upload studio.

Then that one guy who was banned from Xbox Live because he left it on with Skype logged in as he used Skype on his computer to say some privately weird stuff with his girlfriend.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Delusibeta posted:

I'm skeptical about PSNow. Not so much the technical side of things (I played a couple of demos back when it was still Gaikai, and it was pretty drat solid. That was a couple of years ago, so the tech will probably have improved by then), but rather the business model and availability of games. Then again, there's been some really big games delivered to PS+ really quickly, so who knows.

(Although, if the only thing about the PS4 that you're interested in is PSNow, you might as well get a PS3, since it's coming to that too. :v:)

The biggest hurdle of PSNow or any similar service is video quality and input lag. If they can get passed that then you are good to go. They've advertised PSNow as being able to play Playstation games on your tablet, PS3, PS4 PC. So maybe you'll be able to even play playstation exclusives on the Xbone. :v:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stux posted:

Ghosts is fixed iirc, it was overrunning the frame limiter and causing screen tearing and they were meant to have fixed that now. Don't know anyone who has bothered with it though as it seems BF4 took a bigger share of shooter players this time round (or at least of the people I know that have gone next gen on either console). I don't know how you couldn't see the difference with TR though, I could and that was between playing the versions at two different friends houses, let alone side by side. It was on normal sized screens though, not little 27s.

Ghosts still has some problems. But it's more due to developer incompetence than actual hardware limitations. It doesn't seem so much that the framerate dips but that it just forgets some frames exist and never delivers them. And it doesn't always happen in stressful encounters. I've had it just mess up while I was staring at a plant in single player or running around an empty part of the map in multiplayer. It's really weird, but not surprising since the Xbox would always be the lead platform for Call of Duty.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

univbee posted:

This. Considering we're not even supposed to still be getting 360 Games With Gold I think chances are extremely high they're intending to stop giving away 360 titles immediately once they start offering Xbox One titles. I could also see them doing some sort of weird hybrid solution, like the 16th of the month is still XBLA games for the 360 but the 1st's full retail titles are now instead Xbox One offerings of some kind, with new rules on title expiration if possible. It's possible they might feel the pressure of Sony offering PS+ games on 3/4+ different platforms (6 titles a month in all) and go out of their way to maintain the two 360 games plus a single Xbox One game, or some such system.

This will also depend on what sort of effect Titanfall has on number of Xbox Ones sold, because if most of their Gold subscribers are still on 360 it's a bad idea to pull back on services offered for it.

They weren't even originally going to give Xbox One titles away.

Have they given a single Xbox One title away yet? I wouldn't be surprised if the same oversight that made it a nightmare to do on the 360 store carried over to the new console.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Crafty posted:

But you must be able to appreciate that if the frame rate were 'abysmal' (can you source that quote?) then that might just have an affect on the reviews? I've been reading peoples impressions from playing The One version, seems good.

Reviewers couldn't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on the PS4 version of Ghosts before it was patched. I wouldn't have any hope in their technical competence.

I would trust that the game is fun as hell, though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Cowcaster posted:

It's like watching a guy doing that thing with a dog where he pretends to throw the ball and the dog goes chasing after it. Except he keeps doing it over and over again, and you start to realize that the dog is too stupid to learn he's never going to throw that ball, ever, and the guy keeps on pretending to throw the ball and the dog goes chasing after it every time and you just feel bad for the stupid dog and the guy starts to look like a weird rear end in a top hat.

Watch out, they might start reporting you for insulting them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Is MGSV: Ground Zeroes really coming out Tuesday? I've seen like zero hype for it.

Because people hate the idea of a paid demo despite buying the gently caress out of every Steam Early Access game that comes around. It's dumb as hell and Ground Zeroes is going to be pretty great.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Saladman posted:

Gosh it sure is terrible when people are good at playing games and make use of legitimate game mechanics. If you use a controller for an FPS on a computer then god help you. Buy the console version so that everyone else is equally gimped, buy a mouse and keyboard for your computer.

Tangentially, is there a way to easily mute voice chat on Xbone live? This is one of the main things that makes me not want to play Titanfall or anything on live. gently caress voice chat, but I don't want to turn sound off.

I've been playing Titanfall on PC with a controller and having absolutely no problem at all. :colbert:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

peter gabriel posted:

Right I get it now, thanks for that. My system doesn't use that wizardry so I am unfamiliar with it. Great to learn about it though. So in a strange way my hunch was right I guess, it's just more controlled than I thought. Very cool.

Another neat example of adaptive Vsync is used with Dark Souls. Dark Souls is usually locked at 30fps, not a bit over. This is because the physics system used in Dark Souls requires 30fps or at least half that for reliable calculation, otherwise you start following through elevators, objects start clipping enemies when they shouldn't and so on. So the game needs either 30fps or 15fps to function properly in most cases. So whenever your FPS in Dark Souls goes down to 28, 25, or 20 the framerate will then be locked to 15fps until a time where the console could easily run the game at 30. This is why people really hate Blighttown for its awful FPS.

This was a huge problem for me on PC playing Dark Souls. 15 FPS for that game just wasn't going to cut it, but with a mod I was able to turn that adaptive Vsync off and set my own framerate cap to 30 which never changed. So I can go through Blighttown with absolutely no framerate drop.

So Fame Douglas, is that adaptive vsync you were talking about what causes the game from going over 60fps even with Vsync turned off?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

KittyEmpress posted:

If it's true I want a racer with all fake cars so we can smash into each other and generally just have fun watching peoples doors fly off

Then again the last racing game I remember enjoying a lot was uhh... Need For Speed Undergrounnd 2 for the Xbox Original. I could paint them and stick cool stickers and all kinds of stuff.

You should keep an eye on Next Car Game. Note that this was the last video I've seen on this game so it may be a bit different now. But yeah if you want destruction in car flavors there's either this or the Carmageddon reboot.

hanyolo posted:

This is all argument over personal preferences, but I definitely prefer Ryse, Forza, PvZ, Titanfall, KI, Kinect Sports and Peggle 2 over what the PS4 is offering for me at the moment (Resogun, Towerfall, Infamous, Killzone). Sorry that my tastes are "anemic" to you.

I have no idea how in the world Ryse and Kinect Sports could ever be considered good, or even just better than other launch titles for either console. And Titanfall is available on PC and soon Xbox 360, while PvZ is the opposite slightly with being on the 360 and soon PC.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

While you can argue the mushy triggers and stiffer analog sticks are personal preference(I thought they were worse), the bumpers are definitely poo poo.

Serious question: How many of the dlc cars are actually new cars and not imports from previous forza games?

Stiffer sticks, or at least ones with more resistance, are infinitely better than loose sticks. Going from a DS3 to a DS4 or even a Logitech F310 is a godsend in how better it feels.

No comment on the Bonetroller, I just hear the rumble gets on nerves more than it helps.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Even supposing that it was possible to make "the cloud" able to compute things like physics enemies or, stretching it, graphics, developers won't likely support it. It would be the wisest for developers to just build around the hardware available. Could you imagine a game that dropped to 10 fps because your internet connection isn't fast enough? Or videos of an awful looking game because the recorder is not connected to the internet?

It just seems like an awful proposition all around.

However, the biggest benefit of having on demand dedicated servers are for things like backing up saves and multiplayer gaming. Moving away from P2P is the biggest and most important thing Microsoft could have done and I really commend them for that. But to say that games will look or run better because of the cloud is really overselling it at best.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Halo 4 also still sold like 10 million copies despite being a piece of poo poo. People buy Halo games and some people will buy a console just to play the new Halo game. I doubt it will be as many as they want, but it will undoubtedly still sell some consoles.

Edit - I just looked it up. Halo 4 sold around 9 million copies, substantially more than Halo 2 (6ish million) and a decent bit less than Halo 3 (11ish million). People are still going to buy Halo. Its a pretty significant exclusive.

Edit 2 - I forgot Halo Reach was actually the last Bungie developed Halo game. It sold 9.5 million copies, only slightly more than the non Bungie Halo 4.

Halo 4 probably had that strong or at least adequate sales because it was still riding off the success of Bungie. "Oh, the game can't be that bad. I mean, the map packs they made for Reach weren't all that terrible."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, i am really curious to give the beta a whirl. The PS4 thread through the first day of the alpha was insanely positive and then a decent handful of people came in later with the opinion of 'its poorly balanced and got old really fast'. The balance thing is obviously just an issue with it being an alpha so I will have to see how it getting old works out for me.

Because of course a lot of people said that about Titanfall which is my most played shootmans in about a decade.

That negative opinion is an incredibly silly one. Especially now since we finally start at level 1 with the actual level progression and more sparse drop rates. There's lots to do but it's limited by being a drat beta. The story missions alone are supposed to be a 6-8 hour campaign like any other shooter campaign. Then you have exploration missions, strikes, raids which we haven't seen any of yet and PvP. Not to mention doing it all over with two other characters. Because it seems having alts isn't going to be as painful as in, say, world of warcraft.

That said, if there are any Xbone goons that want to get into the beta, I have a beta code that let's you pick what region and platform you want to play on then gives you three separate beta codes for that platform. So you can invite your friends or other goons on the bone.

Let me know an email or steam so I can contact you. I don't have XBL anymore or my 360 even plugged in. But I wanted to give out a code to the Xbox crew since there's already a million PS4 codes swimming around.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

eyebeem posted:

I'd love to get in on it for the bone if you haven't already given it out. I don't have pm but my email is hawleyonda at gmail

Thanks man!

Sent man, have fun and good luck come beta day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Douche4Sale posted:

Is there going to be a beta on the 360 or is it just next gen platforms only? Would like to try it out but haven't felt the need to upgrade yet and likely won't for another year out. On that note, what are the differences for Destiny between current/old gen and next gen platforms?

The beta is for all platforms, PS4/PS3 and Xbone/360.

• Locked thread