Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Soul Glo posted:

Either way a Kinect-less "budget" SKU is kind of a no-brainer and a pretty safe prediction.

With the remote being leaked as well, it's certainly a possibility. There's not too much use to it at the moment aside from the voice navigation and auto sign in, which are cool but not worth $100. Maybe Kinect Sports and D4 will change that.

Shalinor posted:

Regardless, it would also make stuff like snapping DVR / "record that!" prohibitively difficult. I'm... not even sure how you snap something without voice commands. I'm sure there's a way, but, huh.

I use the controller only quite a bit when my roommate is sleeping and haven't had any issues getting around (especially with pins). The snap/unsnap button is just on the right at the main screen. I guess the auto recording gets past some of the DVR stuff but there is no solution for when you are playing multiplayer that I know of.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

JackDarko posted:

Can I seriously not force my Xbone to update? It hasn't downloaded the new update, and I wanted to look at that brand new battery meter.

I don't think the update is out yet. They delayed the February one, no idea when it's scheduled to be launched now.

Mister Macys posted:

"Prepare for a Titan's Fall" :unsmigghh:

TitanFall Out Boy has been my favorite so far, considering changing my gamertag

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 14, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

Oh yeah I wish I could turn off auto-recording in games. they always capture the most uninteresting poo poo. Like sitting at a capture point in BF4 and levelling up :downs:

You can, it's in the settings somewhere (Auto Record Gameplay DVR), it unfortunately turns it off for all games though. I turned it off myself after getting Peggle 2. The only noteworthy auto records it ever did for me anyway was the massive airborne smashes in Forza 5 online. "xbox record that" works fine for me anyway.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I'm just glad they didn't go with a micro transaction model and priced the game at $30 with pay to win burn cards / xp boosts / etc.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

BonoMan posted:

MGS V is 720 on the Bone. Yay. I'm sure there's been discussion of this, but is the 720/1080 thing more of an issue of the GPU (although the PS4's is stronger, both seem capable of doing 1080p yeah?) or allocated resources to the Bone's "media experience?" It's disappointing nonetheless. I hope they get it solved within a year (and that's generous).

It won't get "solved" but the differences should become less as developers get used to the SDK and the different RAM layout on the xbox. There's no way to magically create extra performance out of an inferior GPU/CPU. Best case scenario you're hoping for 900p xbox / 1080p PS4 in the future. Worst case multiplat developers give up on the bone completely or continue to do 720p. Luckily both consoles are cheaper this gen :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I honestly don't feel like looking through review sites. Is Plants vs Zombies going to have a single player mode or is it all about being multiplayer like Titanfall?

There's a couch co-op horde mode which puts you against endless waves of zombies like a tower defense game.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfares-horde-mode-is-garden-ops

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

ShineDog posted:

While I don't really care about 720 vs 1080, it's a little worrying to me what it says about the system when it comes time to really push things. If there is a PS4 game of significant enough scope that it's 720 on that system, what compromises will the bone version have?

60/30 fps probably (i.e. tomb raider).

Don't forget that Microsofts general strategy around the xbox is to compete with google/apple too (xbox is an entertainment brand, not a games brand), so there's all that video/tv/music/skype functionality that you may or may not have been using. I'm sure there will be more stuff down the line as well, hopefully some eventual integration with the windows store, etc.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Chick3n posted:

The 360 uses your account region, the Xbox One uses your console region. Set your console to the US and signin with your AU/UK/whatever account and you can buy games at US prices. You can even use the US website and buy games cheaply and then download them onto your console without having to change any settings.

All the aussie xbone owners that I know haven't had any of these errors pop up, and we all pretty much switch our account to US to get the cheap digital games then switch back. It looks more and more to do with dodgy codes.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

by going to my xbox one dashboard and selecting "Titanfall Beta"?

it didnt actually play, but you could still see the list of data centres and your latency to them.

215ms to the USA and 320ms to singapore is kind of a joke. this was at peak time in Sydney.

im on a 100mbit connection too, so its not that.

What ISP are you with?

I'm in Melbourne and I get 100ms to Singapore, ping times depend on what ISP you are with though as some of them use the PIPE PPC1 cable to guam (iiNet, TPG) and others don't (Optus, Telstra afaik). The ISP's without access to the PIPE PPC1 cable would route to singapore via the US which would give you the 300ms.

Also if you're in Perth theres a direct cable to singapore if you're with iiNet so you get 60-80ms.

I was in the same boat until I tried the beta, it seemed more than playable at 100ms, but I hope MS hurry their rear end up with Azure

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 25, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

Optus.

the singapore DC is around 132ms during the day, but blows out pretty hard at night time.

Yeah Optus are a child company of Singtel (Singapore based ISP) so I suspect their links are getting congested at night due to the heavier Singapore user dynamic. Also Optus sucks :v:

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Last update on their Australian servers was November when they said "hey yeah we're almost good to go guys!" and there's been no information since, and no traffic going to or from it.

Azure is definitely coming to Australia (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ausblog/archive/2013/05/21/windows-azure-expands-downunder.aspx) but yeah I haven't seen anything new about it except that "It's coming real soon (tm)". Probably won't be here until the end of 2014. Once that is up and running I would expect game servers to come after. They already host the digital game downloads and patches here.

I personally find Amazon AWS really good for hosting if you haven't tried it yet. Good for anything more complex than a webpage and you get a free Micro server for a year which I had no issues running a small Starbound server on. There is cheaper but they lack a lot of decent features.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I agree that to become competitive the price must be cut, and that recognizing the mistake in pricing is a good thing. All I'm saying is that cutting the price after 100 days is like writing "We hosed up," on the box. It isn't a bold business decision so much as a strategic defeat and withdrawal.

I don't know how selling 3+ Million consoles over 3 months is a "defeat". If the exclusives keep rolling out for both consoles I can't see why most people won't be owning both (and maybe even a WiiU) in 12 months since they're way cheaper this gen. Did anyone here not own both a 360 and PS3 last gen? Any bone owners not going to get a PS4 down the line?

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 25, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Makes sense, general consumers seem to be going that way as well. Good point about most people not getting both as well, I did just remember a few of my less gaming inclined mates (bros) only had the one console. Maybe that ratio will increase a little bit, but given the difference in power maybe not unless you really want those exclusives.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

I'll buy one when it gets an exclusive that looks decent. The more I see of the order and second son the less I like them. If Titanfall and Dead Rising weren't exclusive I'd probably have a PS4 and be employing my wait and see policy for the bone.

Yeah i'm in the same boat as you. Waiting for a few must play exclusives and multiplats. Was definitely not looking forward to paying for both XBL and PS+ but the free games should make up for that, thank god for Sony forcing MS's hand there.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Soonmot posted:

When you get it, please post about how extensive the single player portion of it is.

I'll be getting it too, but I think I'll be 2 days late due to being in Australia, going to get my roomate to play the split screen horde mode with me, so I'll let you know how it goes.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

The embargo just lifted so reviews will be appearing. I don't think there's any single player though.

There is an exclusive mode for xbox one

quote:

Split-Screen Co-Op for Xbox One
Play an old school game of couch split screen co-op! In this mode the plants will need to survive endless waves of zombies and protect their garden in the progress.

Boss Mode for Xbox One
Take to the skies as Crazy Dave or Dr. Zomboss for a top-down view of the action! Players can employ their Kinect or a SmartGlass device in any gameplay modes to support their teams.
It gives a helpful top-down view of the battlefield, letting you assist teammates with intel, health drops, revive stations and explosive artillery strikes. Boom!

Game is also out on the store now:

https://store.xbox.com/en-AU/Xbox-One/Games/Plants-vs-Zombies-Garden-Warfare-Xbox-One/fb7c3d08-22b0-4f15-aa91-d317d2207230

Reviews ranging from 7-8.5/10

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5443856/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-review-turf-war

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 25, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Twitch streaming coming in March 11 with a heap of extra features, totally need a playroom like app though.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5445214/twitch-game-streaming-coming-to-xbox-one-on-march-11

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
What a great page, I'm definitely calling it "The One" from now on! New party and friends improvements look really good, I wish you could create groups instead of just having "Favorites" though, but it's a start.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

Can't wait for Titanfall. Didn't think it would live up to the hype, was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I thought it was going to be average at best based on the hype. Haven't had that much fun in an FPS in ages, theres some rumours going around that respawn may be able to get it up to 1080p as well on The One based on the new SDK and performance improvements from the feb/march patches

http://imgur.com/a/gfYw3

Project spark beta is also heading to cerfitication so we should see that in the next few days too.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I think someone's been sniffing glue if they're serious about that. They were dropping frames at 792p, moving to 1080p will exacerbate the issue. There's a reason there's rumours floating about of them dropping to 720p for a consistent framerate.

Rumour, from CBOAT who has been wrong about the majority of his xbone predictions and was discredited by a respawn developer, and is now banned? There seems to be more weight that the resolution will stay the same or go up a little.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

Maybe I'll start buying digital because it just doesn't feel like there's a difference anymore.

I really like digital for the fact that I can be a fat gently caress and not have to get up to change disks and can just shout what game I want to play at my console like jabba the hut. Also I'm saving a decent amount of shelf space :v:

Lack of resale sucks though, Looking forward to the day that Steam/Origin/Sony/MS does digital tradeins or a used marketplace.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

ZombieReagan posted:

Do you guys seriously have brand new consoles and old TVs? I just assumed that was a joke or something, most people I know (including myself) ended up replacing whatever HDTV they bought back in 2006/07 with a brand new one

Haha yeah, I bought a Sony Bravia TV just to get the free PS3, didn't realise I had to wait a month for it and caved and bought a 360 so I could use the drat thing :smith:

Hoping they start rolling out free PS4's with their new range of TV's

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

SparkPeople posted:

He hasn't been banned and he's been on the ball with the majority of his Xbox predictions.

Where the hell are you getting your facts from?

- Yield problems
- Kinectless SKU in March/April
- Pretty much everything about Titanfall
- Party chat
- No PS4 features behind a paywall
- Digital marketplace, although this may have gone with the DRM reversal

The only thing he has sometimes been right about is the resolution of games, which is a no brainer anyway given the hardware differences.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Shalinor posted:

Not sure the rumor was ever that specific, just "sometime early-ish this year" - I think he even suggested E3 might be the reveal. Can't really call it dead until 2015.

MS seems to be pretty dead set in keeping the Kinect:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-microsoft-no-plans-to-release-an-xbox-one-without-kinect

If the sales were worse than they are currently though, then yeah it could have definitely been a possibility. I've seen people flogging the Kinect 2 on ebay for $120+ anyway so if you really really want a Kinectless SKU, you're better off selling it :v:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

It would be very hard for them to have worse sales than they do now. They're being outsold 2:1 in their target (only?) market by a console that is out of stock 80% of the time.

Source? Last I saw worldwide was 3.2 mill to 5 mill. Are the US numbers more skewed?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

MrBond posted:

Who's buying such a thing? What on earth can you do with an extra kinect 2?

For the eventual PC driver release I would guess, if you can't already use it on PC.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Party Chat.. but the leak was about them having major trouble with it? The thing was broken at release and they're taking until March to fix it. I think that's pretty valid?
Are you going to explain how that 1080p60 Titanfall is going to work? You've not replied to me at all over that bullshit.

Yeah sorry for editing it in, I meant it in regards to it being so broken Respawn were making their own Party chat system. No idea how they will get 1080p to work I was just going off rumours as everyone else is regarding the final resolution. Between optimisations from beta to release, the new SDK improvements and the extra GPU allocation from the software update I don't think the resolution will be dropped and it will either stay the same or be increased to however much they can handle be it 900p or 1080p.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The sales are bad enough they're packing in their system-seller and doing a pricedrop. Right now sales worldwide are 3:2 ratio to their main competitor and getting worse.

Only in Europe, which has always had a free game attached to it afaik? US pricing has remained the same and they're just adding a free game, which I guess they will recoup in XBL subscriptions since it's online only and other attachments. I really don't see the sales getting worse after these major software fixes and a decent amount of games coming out in March/April, but theres no way to tell that until March/April NPD or until the next MS Press release.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It has a proprietary connector for the Xbone. You have to pay $400~[?] for a special PC-compatible devkit version.

Haha drat didn't know that. I guess the ebay buyers are as stupid as the people still buying Titanfall beta codes :v:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Looks like EA are already having problems on their servers with PvZ, surprise surprise. I guess I'll be holding off on that purchase, hopefully it's not as bad as BF4.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The yield issues rumor was before Microsoft reduced their launch tiers and indefinitely delayed launch in some regions.

Can't call that one either way, we don't know their expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Tier 2/3 country delays were because MS were trying to support the extra languages for the voice commands via Kinect? I know there are a few areas out there that should have it now based on language alone but not the majority. Maybe this is where the Kinectless SKU's are going???? :tinfoil:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Or more realistically they're having trouble with localisation and Kinect. If rumours of the Kinectless SKU turn out to be true it'd removes those issues and allow them to reach a lower price point.

:respek:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I don't see what's :tinfoil: about a sound business decision. Nevermind that I already said this...

So is it realistic or is it a tinfoil hat theory now? You've changed your opinion since earlier in the thread:

What games are you looking forward to that will sell this system to others?

Yeah I didn't see your post when I replied so I'm agreeing with you, it would be a sound business decision. My opinion will still stand that they won't release a Kinectless SKU in Tier1 countries, but I didn't think about the Tier2 or Tier3 possibility so my opinion has changed there.

Looking forward to PvZ, Titanfall and Kinect Sports. These along with the existing exclusives, the "price drop" and the Party system / 50Hz fix may or may not be enough to sell this system to the average consumer. Two of these are coming out on the 360/PC though so it probably won't be the massive surge people are expecting.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny if i can still talk to non-beta Dashboard havers if i install the beta?

I want to try out sweet new features but not at the cost of chatting to friends.

You could always try Skype? But yeah I'm pretty sure you can also talk to other beta users with the new party chat.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Looks like the SDK improvements / changes from beta have helped out Titanfall a bit! Good to hear

In other news, a new list of ID@xbox devs have been posted, and it looks like the first few indie games are in certification! are you in that list Shalinor?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-id-xbox-new-developers

And yeah the Kinect poo poo has been argued to death, if it was mandatory to be plugged in then it would warrant a discussion but since the bone works fine without it plugged in, it's up to the user whether they're scared of the NSA or not. I've actually run into a few guys online who have had theirs unplugged because of the NSA.

PvZGW is awesome as well, I can see Garden Ops getting stale pretty quickly but the other MP modes are great

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 27, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

You can definitely tell the recording is heavily reliant on voice. As is all the snapping. I don't think there could be a quick way to do it with a controller because there's about 8+ apps you can potentially snap so you wouldn't be able to bind them each to s button.

You would have to press home button, click snap, scroll to app you want snapped and click.

I don't really think there is a non clumsy way of doing it on the controller unless you have a dedicated "record that" button. Then you'd also need a screenshot button and a slider for the amount of time. I really like just being able to use voice to record stuff and go straight back to my game without missing a beat.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 28, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can tap for screenshot and hold to start recording [inc. previous recording buffer]? A button input can be used with modifiers for complex interactions.

Still annoying to do if I'm in the middle of a race or a MP game and I have to take one of my hands off the sticks to hold down a button. Options are always nice though, especially if you have the Kinect unplugged.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

All I'm saying is, if people are going to critize it, then post something worth criticizing. I'm just tired of reading the same strawman arguments over and over again in what should be a more neutral discussion about the system. The "shortcomings" that keep coming up have been done to death. The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

Yeah all the criticisms that I keep on seeing have pretty much all been or are going to be fixed. Everyone knows that it performs worse at multiplats but if those is the only things you are going to play then I don't know what to say... It's funny seeing people in the hate thread complaining that they can't post negative stuff here to stop people from buying an XB1. It's almost like they work for Sony :v:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

The motion controls (hand waving and pushing)for the dashboard and in apps from what I've seen are completely poo poo, absolutely useless.

I really don't understand how this passed any form of QA. Pushing your hand in to press a button is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried. They really need to replace it with clenching your fist and using some other gesture for dragging the screen across.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

qnqnx posted:

"But they're going to patch it!" its all I hear from that side of the discussion when problems arise, even when they're flat out hardware problems.

The patches are here or are coming very soon. What other hardware problems are you talking about?

Dan Didio posted:

whereas Microsoft has two competitors (one, arguably) who don't have all this controversy surrounding them about these issues at the moment.

It's funny that one of these competitors has actually leaked your personal information in the past. I'd personally be more worried about them.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

If you have a PC or Xbox code for the Project Spark beta you can download it and try it now. I gave it a go but personally I don't think I'd ever really want to invest time in making anything, but still it's pretty interesting.

I played around with creating a Tower Defense game on the PC Beta, was pretty fun to learn and play around with it. I was hoping the games would be more like the WC3/SC2 custom maps, but most things I've played so far have been average at best. Most things are "conceptual ideas" at the moment rather than full fledged games. Lack of Muliplayer sucks as well (although that's coming eventually). Also the rate that you get spark points to unlock things is retardedly slow, worse than Forza 5 on release.

Theres's a beta preview video here to give you an idea of what people are making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ig2-lbPtXc

MJBuddy posted:

Usually with those types of games I'm purely a consumer. No drive to create content.

You get 30 minutes of "spark time" a day where you can play levels with assets that you do not own. Decent enough for the short arcade games, and most people create games with the default assets anyway since the others take so long to unlock.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 5, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Konjuro posted:

I feel it would be tonnes better if they went with asset packs instead of charging for everything piecemeal.

I haven't bought any of the asset packs yet, but iirc there are theme packs (Desert, Haunted, Druid, etc.) Which contain all the relevant assets (props, sounds, terrain, effects, brains etc.) or you can buy pieces of them individually.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

King Burgundy posted:

Oh, is Project Spark Free To Play? I didn't realize it was that kind of game. How much would it cost to buy all of the theme packs that are currently available?

Yeah free to play, most people create levels using the default assets so you can play their levels for as long as you like. No idea on the exact cost, but I'd guess $100 or so? You also get coins for playing and creating/editing things which you can use to unlock anything, but as I said before it's slow as poo poo. Maybe the people who have created popular games earn a lot of coin. Even worse, there is a "level cap" on some content which I don't think you can even purchase until you've leveled up enough.

Update notes a bit more interesting than I expected, Didn't hear anything previously about being able to search the web using "xbox bing" now. Also IR blasting support for all regions makes me happy, now I can volume up/down!

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

-A n i m 8- posted:

Nice DayZ hint in that video. MS is doing great with the updates. Meanwhile in sonyland ... :crickets:

Holy crap Sony defense force engage! (if this was a troll, great bait)

DayZ is just what was currently streaming in Twitch. In the second part of the Video you can see League of Legends, which is definitely not coming to XB1.

I hope they keep up the pace and content of these updates, it's really starting to shape up as a good OS/UI now. Next on the list is External HDD support according to twitter/reddit! :dance:

• Locked thread