Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Judging by buzz in general PC master race competitive players do not like it.

I don't think that's true. It's a really fun, yet graphically unimpressive and flawed game that's perfect to pick up and play for 30 minutes. The issue is that it's a $20-30 B-game being hyped up as a AAA game with a $60 price tag(which is unfortunate).

I'd say the conclusion is this: It's as silly for anyone to claim the game is garbage as much it is to claim this game is console seller. It's really fun in quick burst but not much more.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

sba posted:

I think you underestimate that, considering the 360 was sold mostly on the backs of Halo and Gears. This is their target market.

Let's be fair, gears looked graphically impressive for its time (even if the aesthetics were meh) and halo was impressive for a console shooter. Titanfall is neither. That doesn't make it a bad game, just it's writing checks it can't cash.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

This is pretty much the only thing I needed to accept a switch to an all-digital or largely-digital distribution model on consoles.

Has MS made any sort of guarantees that your digital purchases will always be available for as long as MS is around?

With their past history I could never place my bet on going digital only with the X1. I've been frantically backing up my 360 arcade games (or straight buying the PC version) since it's only a matter of time MS cuts the cord like they did on the original xbox, their countless movie services, App Store, etc. Even then I have to hope my 360 never dies as the any other 360 would outright reject the game.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

That said Ive played maybe two Xbox games over the life of my 360. I'm about as concerned as I would be of any digital purchase. That is, if my game was suddenly lost 20 years from now I'd just pick up a disc copy for 5 bucks and not care. Which is way less of an issue than I've had with PC games that need to be set up to run on modern tech or simply werent being sold legally anymore.

If you've ever had all your stuff stolen or burnt in a fire you'd quickly learn that companies that don't promise you a proper backup solution are poo poo :)

Companies and Consumers shouldn't be so short sighted.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

E: I think your concerns are valid, but I think the magnitude of the weight of those concerns is smaller for myself. Not necessarily trying to convince you that you're wrong or anything. All of the things you've mentioned are negative things to myself as well, just small negatives.

It depends on if customers value things they buy or don't. Personally I focus on the long term and consider things I purchase as something that holds value. This is why I usually buy my games on GOG or Steam, songs on Amazon or iTunes, and movies on Amazon. Both have proven track records. The games I've bought off Steam from 2006 that have since been discontinued, I can still download and play right now. I can't say the same for anything MS has done. All my music I've purchased from MS is basically gone since the computer I used for their abandoned service is no longer functioning. Luckily the tunes I've bought from Amazon and Apple still work.

I would be very careful about going all digital on a MS console. At least until MS actually stated a firm and legally accountable policy.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 22, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

I effectively got my bone for £120 off retail as I'm in NA now. Need to get this giant sucker home one day though.

On the subject of the UK, fix for the TV judder within a few weeks http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-pal-tv-stutter-fix-on-the-way/0128581

Crafty, did you buy your games digitally or physically?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Seems like it might not matter. Two posts up from you:

One goon versus everyone in this thread: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4271/t/1670565.aspx?PageIndex=4

quote:

I have the same Problem with both Games (DR3 & Forza).

Everything worked well for weeks.

Over Night "it" killed the Game Licenses. I telephoned 40 minutes with Support , and the told me to Fix it manually in hours.

But nothing happens. Very Frustating.

quote:

It seems that microsoft added over night an intern region lock, where you only can use a digital download key suitable to your xbox live account region. that makes our legit licenses invalid.

i think that is bad style from microsoft, it is not our mistake, that region free full language games animate customers to buy a little bit cheaper. if they want to make an intern region lock ok, but this was A LEGIT KEY directly from MICROSOFT ! There is no shop where you can purchase this.

Its a moot point anyways as we'll have an actual goon to report back to us. I'm also curious if this affects physical copies as well.

Crafty posted:

I'd only ever buy physical unless there was some heavy discounts. I think things like dlc will always be regionally affected though. I had to do a 'migration' on my Xbox live account, which you can apparently do once every 3 months.

Ah ok. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully they'll reverse the switch in your favor :)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Besides the dpad there really aren't any improvements that X1 controller offers over the 360. The rumble triggers feel weird and "clicky". The bumpers are really, really terrible.

The main issue is MS, the company that makes the X1, doesn't have any controller drivers for Windows, made by MS. Strangely the DS4 worked natively (plug n play).

TBH this is after playing Forza 5 at the local game store and raising an eyebrow to how terrible rumble triggers feel. Its kept "clicking" but that could have been due to wear and tear.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

I can make a pretty good guess. There's a sticker store where you buy customization options for your character, consumables, weapons upgrades, and new rare characters.

I made this quick video to show it http://1drv.ms/1mwYZdd

There's "card packs"? In a game you pay actual real life money for? Modern video games are so indefensively terrible now. Video game companies are using psychology against you in a far more awful way than the arcades of my youth. Disgusting.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

I'm not sure if we're at arcade levels of bad yet. Gauntlet and metal slug and such all exist to just drain your pocket. At least modern games offer you carrots and sticks and then an in app purchase to reduce the size of the stick.

Wait that's just like old arcade games.

Except when I bought Contra for home use I had access to the entire game and could even enter in a cheat code to get more lives. Plus arcade games usually cost $0.25 per play so you could play 4 different games with 1 dollar.

EDIT: This doesn't mean I'm defending the poo poo arcade games did, just that it is exponentially worse. I also looked as Arcades like Movie theaters when I was a kid. You paid to play it on the "big screen" then waited 6-8 months for the home release.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 25, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

They still weren't arcade quality going into the PS2 and the Dreamcast. Dreamcast was drat close but you'd occasionally still have variations that fighting game purists would care about. Sometimes they were still unplayable; like the PS2 chug-a-lugging on MvC2.

I think as kids we accepted it for what it was and still got a full released title for our money. I could swallow F2P since it was the next (awful) evolution of Arcade games, but this double dipping is indefensible. Either give me full access to the game for a flat price, or let me pick and choose at a variable rate. No one should defend using both methods as its just a means to shake down customers until they're poor. Unfortunately it appears to be something that is mandated by MS given that 99% of the exclusive or time exclusives have this terrible gimmick. Its absolutely appalling.

Barudak posted:

Online, maybe; in real life not so much. Then again I've got to make presentation decks with it in there so my life is weird.

I'm not sure this name discussion matters. Most people on the street just call it "The new xbox" and thats that.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 25, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Obsidius posted:

Thanks, and yeah there's a price drop coming soon, think £400 with Titanfall included iirc which is pretty good. I have a Sky (satellite TV) and use my PS4 for Netflix so the TV media aspect of the Xbox One isn't really something I'm looking for anyway as happy with how my setup works now. Titanfall though has me tempted and Dead Rising but anything cross platform if likely stick to the PS4 or PC as that's where my mates are.

So just Dead Rising then?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Ah cool, I sit about a foot away from my PC monitor (27 inch) and can tell the difference, it doesn't matter tbh I was just curious, each to their own - I think we agree that Titanfall was fun.

Titanfall owns on my 24" 1440p monitor as well as my 56" 1080p TV. Tintanfall is fun as heck in ways CoD is not.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I found it fun as well, not bothered if that's uncool or whatever. I liked pretty much everything about it

Yep. I don't get the hate for Titanfall other than MS is doing their best to make it look like an X1 exclusive. The game feels awesome and is a ton of fun to play. Super glad the PC version allows you to increase the FOV. The X1 footage I've seen makes it seem like people are playing the game through a magnifying glass.

Actually, that makes me wonder...can you increase the FOV on the X1 version?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Yes. It's the same conversation they've been having since before the console was released. It was dull then, and it's dull now, and a bunch of people acting faux outraged over what MS could theoretically do with the data remains really, really uninteresting.

You're awfully dismissive of a real serious issue.

Also, its my data. I should have the ability to turn off whether you receive my "harmless" data. You shouldn't have the right to it without my expressive consent, no matter how miniscule you believe it is. Luckily a number of companies ASK for permission and SPELL OUT that they are capturing your information. I hope the company you work for requires a similar option (and not the usual "By playing this game you accept..." nonsense that proves nothing but utter contempt for customers privacy). I understand this goes beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it as such.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 26, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

You jest but I was told the number of times that people had made a 5 in a row or something in Bejeweled. It was followed by some stat I can't even articulate because it was so meaningless about the Sims.

Edit: Number of Touchdowns in Madden. WOOOOOOOOOOO.

Yeah. You're either criminally dumb or ignorant if you don't understand the power of metrics. Future business models rely heavily on that data to create the ultimate addictive game. This is one reason, among many, why I personally don't like companies stealing data from me. No company should profit off my data unless I explicitly gave that information to them for free or they cut me a check.

Shalinor posted:

It's awesome, but mind, it is NOT altruistic. Sony has Microsoft over precisely the same barrel that Sony was over last gen. Which is why Sony grew an indie focus last gen, and why Microsoft is hurridly adopting it this gen (while Sony mostly just pays it lip service). Microsoft desperately needs developer support in its digital marketplace, ESPECIALLY in this first rough couple of years. Sony's got, what, 40 digital titles on the board? Whereas Microsoft has... well you've seen the store. :(

I thought MS dropped XBLIG?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hmmm. There appears to be more stepping stones than there were for XBLIG. Not saying that is a bad thing either considering there are 9 zillion Minecraft clones and... this poo poo on XBLIG vs gems like this.

vvvv Pretty sure you do see those same games on Android's Market Place. vvvv

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

The bings only for searches within your One so the metric is probably low.

Wait...then how do you "search" things in the web?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

You open the web and start typing hombre.

I'm not sure if you're the person to relay this info to, but during your meetings could you ask the project manager why it's so unintuitive?

I thought it was "Xbox search [game]" and "Xbox bing [search term]"

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

Its snapping a youtube video. It looks as good as if it were a special app so who gives a poo poo.

Can you search youtube within internet explorer with just your voice?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

You have to type in the youtube search box with the controller I think. I think there's USB keyboard support coming soon or maybe it's already there. You can pause and play videos with your voice and say go to full screen, but no searchin' within websites with your mouth afaik.

That is incredibly bizarre. How does it understand what website you want to "browse" to with just your voice, but not search? I could have sworn Polygon used a web search feature during their day long unveiling.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

There was interest in Kinect spying capabilities earlier, here's a new story:

:nsa:

This issue might need its own thread in games (not for just this either, but game companies stealing user data). It's clear that users of this thread aren't interested in hearing stories about this, but potential X1 buyers should be made aware of what potentially they are exposing themselves too.

I personally would be interested in this topic and how it relates to the future of this hobby.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chick3n posted:

If you use Skype on your console then I'm sure that can be intercepted (the same way that Yahoo apparently was), but that's still not a knock against the Kinect and any fears about leaving the Kinect always connected are still unfounded.

I think you might be missing the point. Users assume their conversations on Skype are private (which is reasonable). However that assumption is dangerous. If those conversations can't be guaranteed as private, I feel MS should have a sizable notification text overlay that reminds users their video and audio streaming can be and will be monitored.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Why do people think this is anything new? Everything on the internet has always been monitored.

hi NSA

It may not be new to you or other users, but there are people out there who are unaware of what an innocent device could be doing that isn't in their best interest.

Again, I think this discussion would be better suited in another thread. If one isn't made by tomorrow I'll prolly start it myself.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Legit question: Can the PS4 do this without the headphone attached? Or while off? I'm not sure how extensive the features are but people generally present it like I need to be strapped to a controller or the mic to use it. The value for me is largely that I can be disengaged from those pieces and just use the thing.

You'd be surprised at what the Playsation 4 can do with voice control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ32AZhYBZA

Its pretty similar.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This issue might need its own thread in games (not for just this either, but game companies stealing user data). It's clear that users of this thread aren't interested in hearing stories about this, but potential X1 buyers should be made aware of what potentially they are exposing themselves too.

I personally would be interested in this topic and how it relates to the future of this hobby.

Thread about privacy risks as they pertain to video games has been created here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611865

Edit: Thread has been moved away from Games sub forum.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 28, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Saladman posted:

E: Dammit the Xbone has so many potentially cool features that are terrible in terms of execution. At least I'm comforted by knowing that the PS4 is just as bad and Resogun is its only launch window game. I should have learned not to buy consoles at launch after buying a PS3 last time around. Also I hate 3D, but I've never seen an explanation for how the gently caress the PS4 and Xbone are unable to play 3D movies. Isn't this something that $100 blu-ray players could do in like, 2008?

If everything I've heard from a few friends is true, the media capabilities of both the X1 and PS4 are FAR worse than that of the PS3 (which is FAR was that the media capabilities of a Raspberry Pi sans Blueray).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I have found that the best way to enjoy my video game console is to never read about it on the internet.

While this makes sense after the fact (sort of), why would you not do research into a big ticket item before purchasing?

Then again, I guess what is considered a "big ticket item" can be relative depending on one's income.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I meant reading this thread after you buy it, not before. I think 400-500 bux for the system + Live/PSplus plus an extra controller plus a game or two, etc etc is a big ticket item for 99% of the people who will be buying the system and they should absolutely do research before hand. Afterwords though, this thread is just depressing but I still cant stop reading it.

I'm unsure why this thread would be the depressing one. The one you might find more depressing will be the XBONE thread as there is more news related to missteps Microsoft has made. This thread usually isn't allowed to have those issues posted.

Also most of us actually don't own a "next gen" console and are trying to do research to feel out what is the best decision to make. A lot of us are 360 owners that don't see the benefit on upgrading (see titanfall coming out on 360 with, presumably, identical graphics to the X1). The PS4 doesn't have any eye catching exclusives either. I was burned with the WiiU so my plans on upgrading to next gen have been halted until a game comes out for either console that won't also be released on PC.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

The WiiU is so, so very bad and has had a detrimentally terrible effect on the competitors I think. I'm sorry for your monetary loss and hope that Bayonetta 2 appeals to you because if it doesn't I think its time for a little viking funeral for your WiiU.

TBF, I knew what I was getting it for Nintendo games more so than anything else. I just didn't think that would be the only thing I could get on it. Oh well. Steam exists and I have a backlog of over 1500 games if I need something to play.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah that's why I said "big ticket item" could be relative to a people. My personal issue is I'd rather build another PC that has all the exclusives I'm interested on the X1, such as titanfall, than buy an X1. Hell, in the past month I've passed over the X1 to build 5 more PCs (one for every room). I just can't justify it when I can play all the games from the past and future, as well as stream video and audio content, in an all in one machine.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

...its hard to complain about it too much when I will use it every day of my like for 7 years or so.

This is what I thought about the WiiU as well. I honestly wouldn't bet on that, especially if the sales continue to trend downward. Luckily MS is willing to pile stupid amounts of money to prevent that from happening (at least for now).

Saladman posted:

How can it not play Tomb Raider? Everything I've seen says that the Definitive Edition looks basically the exact same as the PC version from last year.

E: Looking it up online I also still have no idea what you are talking about.

I was playing Tomb Raider the year it came out at over 1080p at 60FPS. The X1 can't hit a constant 30fps at 1080p now, 1 year later. My PC was not beefy in the least (I was playing on a quad core AMD proc and 4400GT for crying out loud).

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 7, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Saladman posted:

I got a new console because pretty soon games will no longer come out for the 360 and PS3; if they came out for those forever, I'd probably not have bought a new one.

But that hasn't happened yet. The new Titanfall is coming out on the 360 and is rumored to be on par with the X1 version. If FPS or resolution do not matter, than there will be no difference between the X1 and 360 version. Why not just wait until a good bundle is out, its cheaper, or both?

Saladman posted:

I beat the first Deus Ex on a bondi blue iMac and probably got like 8 fps on it the entire time--down to more like 3 in fight scenes which made me really into stealth--so I might uh, not be the average gamer as far as this is concerned. I replayed it years later on a much faster machine and it was like a different game that I didn't like as much because I could bust in and murder everyone too easily.

I don't really know what to say other than "that's interesting".

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 7, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Batman is next gen only at them moment and I don't know but I thought DA3 was rumored to be next gen only as well.

I think that's it for announced multi-plat titles for this year.

That's rumored to be out in late 2014, the time frame MS is rumored to release a discounted, kinectless X1 and most likely more free bundled games (going by the current trend).

BillyBlanks posted:

Yeah... that's disappointing. It doesn't make me want to throw mine out in disgust or anything, I just hope it's not so bad that it prevents others from buying one. My whole goal in getting the xbone was to be able to rejoin all my friends from xbox live. If they move to PS4... welp.

This is actually why I haven't made the jump. All my friends moved to PC and PS3 about a year ago due to the stupid good deals on Steam and PS+. There just isn't much enticing any of us to bite. The one guy in our crew that did buy it has been telling us not to (same goes for me when talking about the WiiU). None of us have gotten a PS4 because we haven't been able to find one and/or don't see the need.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 7, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah, thats why I owned a Bone first. Graphics are massively, massively less pressing in my household compared to the various features the Bone has that aren't strictly gaming related.

Obligatory: Youtube, you sons of bitches.

In all seriousness, what can the X1 do that is non-gaming related that the 360, PS3, WiiU, Roku, Chromecast, Raspberry Pi can't? I genuinely don't know (other than I guess HDMI IN).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

It handles my cable box and handles my digital video media needs by voice control while also allowing me to multitask those. In my household the ability to boot up a fitness program and work out while snapping in the cable box or hulu has been absolutely killer and something none of those devices can deliver.

I should also mention that unless you own a Roku 3 (and even then December of this year) you couldn't get Youtube.

I guess I'm one of the few olds who learned that owning a cable box now is like owning a VHS player and ditched it entirely. The generation after me doesn't even know what they are used for (seriously).

Voice control doesn't work as well as Siri and has been shown to be a detriment on the X1.

360 has the same fitness programs and the wife is happy using them still.

Snapping is neat but then again our iPhones are in our hands 24/7 so it not anything special (plus you have more control to multitask).

Everything is mobile centric now and the ability to Airplay from my phone to my Raspberry Pi is amazing. Does the X1 have Airplay capabilities. If not, that is HUGE.

univbee posted:

The two big new things gaming-wise for both the Xbox One and PS4 are 8 cores and 8 gigs of RAM.

This has been done to death with the clear winner being the PS4 until you start looking at PCs. This is why I was more curious about the NON-gaming aspects.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 7, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Turns out the X1 does not have airplay functionality.

WHAT. IN. THE. gently caress? The world is more mobile than ever. Friends come over and want to share videos with a click of a button. How does the X1, which is supposed to have the most media centric functionality than all the other consoles, not have airplay? My $35 raspberry pi can airplay.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Not sure what airplay is to be totally honest but Xbox Glass lets you push media to the system and control it via tablet or computer. DLNA is there as well or is that the same? Dunno, that part is used almost entirely for youtube in my house.

That's basically Airplay for iPhone. The thing is the iPhone is stupid popular so not having that ready at launch for a media center device is insane. Maybe another future patch?

quote:

Cable is an included cost of living in my building so not owning it in my case is stupid.

Did you try arguing the cost down for internet (or getting an upgrade on internet speed). That what I did. I'm sure most people aren't in your situation.

quote:

Xbox Fitness isn't on the 360 and, frankly, blows pretty much every other game exercise program so thoroughly out of the water its ridiculous.

Interesting. What does it do that Wii Fit and ubisoft's stuff doesn't?

quote:

Snapping allows me to totally hog the TV (slap some video in the corner while playing a game and she can still use a computer if she wants and I'm not looking between two devices) or in my households case lets me play videogames while she watches the Kardashians or some equivalent program I have negative interest in.

Thats what an iPad/Phone is for? I literally can't see the use unless you have not optimized your living room setup.

quote:

Voice control is not as accurate as Siri which is a bummer but if I were Microsoft I'd guess once Cortana launches for phones there will be a huge patch update to Kinect voice recognition. It is accurate enough though that we hesitate to ever use the remote and provides a depth of function currently across applications/games/TV/UI which has been a huge QoL upgrade.

Going over a friends house where it failed every spoken command leads me to believe otherwise, but I'll take your word for it.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 7, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

I'm really not seeing how that's a fault of MS then. Would Apple even license it to MS?

Airplay works on a number of devices that compete with the Apple TV. Money is money. From what I recall, the chrome cast has airplay capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

eyebeem posted:

We're complaining now because a Microsoft game console doesn't support a proprietary Apple media function? Really?

Why not? My $35 raspberry Pi can do pretty much everything the $500 X1 can do plus more. It's a fair question.

• Locked thread