Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chick3n posted:

Latest rumour (based on beta files) is 14 maps. 15 if you include the training map.

How the hell is a map outright called Outpost 207 only maybe Outpost 207?

Crafty posted:

Don't be so salty :( Remember when you bet ten dollars that the alpha textures were final, and that Respawn were lying? I think you will be wrong twice in a row.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/14/titanfalls-xbox-one-textures-improved-from-alpha-to-beta-respawn-vindicated/

If no single player means they spent more time polishing so we don't get another half baked EA turd, then that's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

They're only showing the guns though, not the maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They changed the trigger and bumper spacing on the Bone controller a bit so that if you hold it 'deep' it can be difficult to press the bumpers without also pressing the trigger.

I've always held it a bit looser, higher on the grips (or lower from my perspective) so that's not a problem from me, but I know from the endless controller debates we've had that not everyone does.

Also the joysticks are less springy closer to center than they are on the 360.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VincesUndies posted:

I've read the battery life is terrible on the DS4. Probably best to just stick with the 360 controller.

The drivers let you adjust the LED, which is the big power draw.

Also if you're using it wired the battery doesn't matter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crafty posted:

Don't get so excited. I hadn't heard about the ghastly color intensity problems until now. Are they too intense or not intense enough :confused: is there an example that illustrates it?

The color balance thing is actually there with 360 and PS3 too. Microsoft uses warmer colors than Sony does, and you'll have people who prefer one over the other.

Graphics people basically always prefer cool in my experience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

On the plus side if you have multiple users that sign in and out all day (as is my case), it's a pretty good upgrade from the 360.

You could have the 360 not sign in automatically too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Minor quality of life issue that's cropped up, I got the blu-rays of the third season of Game of Thrones. The Bone (and possibly Pee Ess Quatro from mild googling) won't play them. It'll briefly show the loading icon for the discs, then hold on a black screen. Discs work fine in a PS3 and a PC with a BD drive. Speculation is it's the consoles reacting to a DRM solution on the discs, likely due to the PVR/streaming features. Bravo, guys, you didn't think companies would have measure in place to gently caress with some dork wanting to stream HBO boobs on Justin.tv that could cause trouble on your all-in-one media box.

The streaming/PVR already didn't work on movies and media apps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, there's no reason at all to preorder Titanfall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the PS3 does, so it's probably not as simple as a Bluray software update.

I mean I'm sure an update will fix it, but if it's not a Bluray thing it means the wait is probably longer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Titanfall is gross snack dip for fat people.

...Actually they might have nailed that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope they at least preloaded the patch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In a way that's probably only going to hurt financially for this quarter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it going to be racist again?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

Depends, if he means the gaming division and the gaming division only he's probably right. If he's talking the consumer electronics division assuming the Surface maintains its sales its probably not a loss. If he means overall I doubt it'll be a real blip on the radar.

The Surface sales have been from heavy discounts to the Surface 1.

What I meant is the Xbone is sold at a loss. Now they've added more to that loss. Not a full $60, but publishers get most of the money from a game sale so definitely a decent amount. EA's not letting them give the game away without getting most of what they usually do.

If they're counting on people buying other games that's a bad bet to make.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

If the console isn't selling, why would lowering the price produce worse financials than keeping it where it is?

Or we just assuming that pricing analysts don't understand price elasticity?

They've already eaten the losses you're prescribing to them. They spend X on each console regardless, but they have a stock of it that's not moving. If lowering the price 10% increases sales by >10%, it improves financials.

They're not dropping the price. They're adding a game that they had to buy. And not just buy the game, but then also lose the sale of that game.

The Titanfall bundle won't improve financials. That's not really what it's for though. They're aiming for a less embarrassing NPD.

(Okay they're dropping the price in the UK, but the UK is an insignificant market.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's an effective price drop for the consumer. It's very different on Microsoft's end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frabba posted:

The UK was the #2 market for the 360, calling it an "insignificant market" is laughable.

Built on a price and availability advantage that doesn't exist anymore, and the obvious fact the Xbone is not going to be the 360.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Same here. On my TV a change in HZ would trigger a full resolution switch which takes a few ugly seconds and brings up the TV's OSD. If they have a graceful solution to an age old problem its going to be a real feat, like the sort of brilliant trickery John Carmack came up with the get smooth scrolling going on early PCs. To a layman like me it seems impossible. The only thing I can think of is hasty patches to make first party games run selectably at 50hz and a certification checkbox on future games that requires 50/60 variable modes. The scope of which is massive, but it does hinge on the greater adoption of TV services in all 50hz territories.

I would guess the best you're getting is an automatic switch when you use Watch TV, which as you said on many TVs is going to trigger the OSD or a black screen for a second or two.

It probably won't fix snapping either because that would still require 50Hz and 60 simultaneously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I would expect more they would run the UI in 50hz all the time and only switch to 60hz when playing a game.

Right, but you can snap TV during a game can't you?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Internet posted:

Just disable that feature for that region. See if it's detecting a 50hz signal in and just not snap anything.

Well, I would think allowing it and dealing with the judder while it's snapped is the better option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you think it won't be Lococycle you're delusional.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

So, wait. Polygon says you can upload game clips to Twitch, but will Twitch actually archive your past broadcasts? They don't on the PS4, which I think is super lame.

Microsoft brought a dumptruck for this one, archiving is supposed to be included.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mass Effect's were great, because it was so easy to make the credits on your own that whenever I thought of buying something I just decided to play some matches instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

For what it's worth the PC version requires Origin and I'm for sure not putting that piece of crap back on my machine. So for me it'd be between the 360 and the XBone. I've got an Xbone so...

The Xbone version requires Origin too, if it's security you're concerned about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

This is just dishonest. It had historically amazing sales in both November and December. That was enough to prove out whether there were any yield issues. Yes, sales dropped off a cliff after that, but it was well after we would have seen supply issues.

Historically as long as you only count other Xboxes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Does this change the fact that he was wrong?

The yield issues rumor was before Microsoft reduced their launch tiers and indefinitely delayed launch in some regions.

Can't call that one either way, we don't know their expectations.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Given how many extra bones are laying around everywhere now, if supply was the issue preventing them from launching in other regions, wouldn't they be speeding up their worldwide launch plans rather than (seemingly) delaying them even more?

Those Bones sitting on shelves are paid for. They're not Microsoft's anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

I'm making a possibly incorrect assumption that they aren't getting re-orders due to all the extras. Thus, they should now theoretically have a large build up in their supply chain. Sounds logical to me, but I guess I could be wrong about that.

The consoles are different in different regions, so they can't just divert supply.

ZombieReagan is probably right that it's software and not hardware causing the delay though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rumour was in June. In August some Chinese leakers claimed Microsoft had adjusted their expectations down from 7 million to 6.2 (I am not sure over what period that was, but unless it's 2014 they probably aren't hitting it.)

Around then, Microsoft dropped 8 countries from launch day.

With a launch the size they were planning, a yield issue can still leave millions of units to sell. Cboat never said crippling, as far as I can find.

It looks like Microsoft just expected way too much. If they did have yield issues they were probably for the best because they have enough unsold units as it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chick3n posted:

People were freaked out enough about a camera + mic in their homes, there's no way they would've accepted the console actually sending everything you do to Microsoft.

It does anyway though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Everything? Is there a list of the actual data sent back to MS? Or are you just trying to be flippantly antagonistic?

I meant specifically the voice commands you use are sent back to Microsoft anyway.

They recently bragged about how many times a few specific ones had been said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm saying the opposite, actually. Despite not processing commands on the cloud it still sends data about which ones you're using to Microsoft. Which would be the main argument people would use against cloud processing if it were a thing.

The Kinect doesn't interpret commands like Siri or Google Now do though. It just has a rigid list it understands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My game that will hit the XB One in about a year will probably report back to me how many times you shoot your gun, and which ammo types you use. OMG, THE HUMANITY! SUMMON THE PRESSES! :aaa:

If you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session. THE HORROR! :aaaaa:

Yeah, that's what we're saying.

This is the original comment:

quote:

People were freaked out enough about a camera + mic in their homes, there's no way they would've accepted the console actually sending everything you do to Microsoft.

Which is what it's doing anyway so that's not a good argument for not doing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saladman posted:

Is anyone using the new xbox as a media center yet? I've been playing around with the settings but still haven't figured out how the new system is any better than the 360, except that it has an HDMI-In cable that you could.. do something with? I guess? Really having a hard time figuring out what to do with that. It doesn't look like you can use it as an arbitrary DVR, which is too bad.

I'm struggling to figure out the point of the much-touted media center features, when I can already hook a computer up to my TV via HDMI and do everything easier and more flexibly. Still, I guess it will be nice once it supports external drives (as long as it supports something other than FAT32, jesus christ I hope so).

You can't, really. It only has Push To streaming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah and Trine 2 is a cool and good looking game and everything, but its still a 2 year old sidescroller that I got for 5 dollars on Steam like a year ago. Like you say, I dont think anything interesting is going to come from 4k in this generation of consoles.

This generation isn't even HDMI 2.0.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

You have bad opinions, and indie games are a huge boon to a console, as long as there is some quality control to it. PS3 basically made its maklrk by having all the indie games, and when the 360 noticed they put up a terrible indie marketplace without any quality control or hard and fast rules, meaning that 99% of the content was cheap games that would not even be considered good on a phone or ouya.

Seems to be carrying over so far. Sony's numbers aren't low or anything, but they seem to be focusing on a lot of well known properties and devs over volume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jeffreyw posted:

Its definitely going to be 60 FPS. Wolfenstein will be 60 FPS on everything, even toasters. iD Tech 5 does 60 FPS as well as CryEngine does good image quality.

So it wastes resources on framerate you cannot ever see?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody said 900p.

Edit: Okay, someone did, but their Reddit account got deleted, so I wouldn't take their word as gospel.

Haquer posted:

What does this even mean?

CryEngine is extremely inefficient and does a lot of dumb things.

I guess the equivalent is if ID Tech did 60fps by actually doing 120.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 27, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were quoted that they hoped for 900p. Nobody has confirmed anything yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

792 to 900 is like a 40% increase, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

since the bone works fine without it plugged in

Eh, it really depends on what you mean by fine.

• Locked thread