Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Here's the best online social experiment I've ever seen, 3,000 people shouting instructions at a single program streamed on Twitch. They've been trying Pokemon Rded for 33 hours and so far this collaborative effort is stalled out at Mount Moon. It's been posted in the speedrun thread, but I think it's funny enough to warrant its own thread.

Here, have a Google Doc with information on the run's progress.

This project has led to a great amount of fanfiction, goon Rhycool has compiled an album at this link.

Also check out this stream of a random number generator creating inputs to play the game:

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

What's this anarchy/democracy thing?

The answer to this question is on every page of the thread and on the Twitch page, so you will get mocked if you ask it again. Viewers can vote for anarchy, where every input is accepted, or democracy, where the most popular input ever few seconds is accepted. Democracy usually doesn't get anywhere because of anarchists spamming Start9 to repeatedly pause and unpause the game.

Praise Helix. Death to Eevee heretics. We were warned that getting Eevee might kill Jay Leno and ABBBBBBBK(, and look what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4rjWIGQ8YA

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cannot Find Server posted:

I dunno, at this rate they'll take years to finish

I think the amount of time to get the surf TM approaches infinity. It may actually be faster to trigger the walk through walls glitch, but of course they would get messed up by people who don't understand what they're trying to do.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

precision posted:

It's funny when people get legit mad in the chat.

Also insane that they actually have caught two pokemans and made it past a gym. Have they Game Overed yet? That just sends you to the nearest Poke center right?

Yeah, getting everyone knocked out costs you half your money and you go back to the last Pokémon center.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jerkstoresup posted:

Can a HM be dropped before use? Calling it ending that way.

No, key items can't be dropped. The most likely way this ends is a crash or bankruptcy, since the players could very well run out of money trying to find HM03 in the Safari Zone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jackhammer posted:

Full restore was used on Abby in some fight earlier to heal a minor scratch.

It was hilarious, they healed him from Paralysis and the other trainer's Oddish immediately used Poisonpowder.

Unfortunately, it's possible to get stuck in a situation where victory is impossible, for example if you don't have any Pokéballs left, fought everyone you can, run out of money, and can't afford the Safari Zone. That's probably where this run will end up unless the host cheats to give the stream the Surf and Strength HMs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Ah, does this mean she plans on removing the throttle when they reach points where the start menu is needed or is it just going to "pop in" randomly?

She seems to remove it whenever they need to cut a tree down.

Who actually is the host? Has she done other notable things on the Internet before?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

THE PWNER posted:

Did you have to actually open the item menu to use the bike every time in gen 1?

MrAristocrates posted:

Was registering items with Select a thing in Gen 1?

Actually, it doesn't matter, because she turned off Select.

You need to open the menu to use the bicycle.

Pureauthor posted:

We are never going to leave Cerulean

Don't despair, it took many hours to get away from the Pokémon Centre before Mount Moon.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mordaedil posted:

If anyone gets to this point, it might as well be a good idea to just program their own bot and have it try to play Pokémon successfully.

I can't get VBA Rerecording to run in Windows 8.1, otherwise I would already be doing this :(. I suspect a bot with completely random inputs will do even worse than the team of humans at this. I figure I'll give it the following button input probabilities:

25% A
5% B
5% Up
5% Down
5% Left
5% Right
0.1% Start
0% Select

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pureauthor posted:

You realize this will require Red to take 12 steps right without going down once.

Since the decision between up or down is pretty much random at every point, that's a 1/4096 chance. Unless some trolls leave they won't be able to thread this needle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Holy poo poo, they just beat a level 19 Beedrill with a level 11 Ratatta by digging a lot and taking it down with Quick Attack. Now, switching back to Charmeleon to win the second fight and the battle.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Unless the admin disables down they're never getting out.

It's even worse, shortly after getting through this they need to press down to keep going. If the admin disables down, they'll need to reenable it in a couple minutes.

After getting stuck in that upper right corner, all the well-meaning people pressing down will send them down those ledges and back to square one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just set up my computer to do this randomly. It has a 50% chance of pressing any button each frame, except start or select, which it has a 0% chance of pressing. He's named (r mnpk) and still stuck in his bedroom after 15 minutes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I just set up my computer to do this randomly. It has a 50% chance of pressing any button each frame, except start or select, which it has a 0% chance of pressing. He's named (r mnpk) and still stuck in his bedroom after 15 minutes.

21 minutes, and he has left the house! :toot:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

senseinobu posted:

Wait wouldn't he not be able to use cut/surf if start is disabled?

Yes. I'm trying to learn lua scripting so I can write a script that will occasionally push those buttons. Here's my current attempt:

code:
local buttons = {"A","B","Up","Left","Down","Right"} 
local state = {true,false} 
local keyinput={} 

while true do 
  for key,value in pairs(buttons) do 
    keyinput[value]=state[math.random(2)] 
  end 
  joypad.set(keyinput) 
end

local buttons = {"Start"} 
local state = {true,false} 
local keyinput={} 

while true do 
  for key,value in pairs(buttons) do 
    keyinput[value]=state[math.random(1000)] 
  end 
  joypad.set(keyinput) 
  emu.frameadvance 
end
I think it'll work fine if it runs, but it says '=' expect near end if I try it this way and "unexpected symbol near end" if I put an = in front of the end.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Broken Cog posted:

What on earth is so controversial about a SMB theme that he felt the need to disable comments? :psyduck:

Oh, you're in for a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Lord of Hats posted:

The real important thing here is that the next pokemon game needs to have a character with our nonsensical lineup in it.

Go, Rattata! Wait, are you the Thunderbolt one or the Bubblebeam one?

I got that Lua script to work, so I'll set my computer to play a Pokémon game completely at random for a week. Should I do Red version like the stream or Gold Version so it'll be something different?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dizz posted:

yellow version.

No way, it'll be even dumber because half the time will be spent talking to Pikachu, and the sign spam will be bad enough already.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Heran Bago posted:

Well then poo poo why not GBA Leaf Green?

My script doesn't work for anything newer than GBC :(

[I am a poo poo programmer, OK?]

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vifs posted:

Hey I built a version for fun to try out, right now I'm running pokemon yellow, but I have it that I could technically do any system, well I wouldn't do anything with analog controls, but if you want some help hit me up.

Please tell me more. I'm using Bizhawk and some basic scripting but Bizhawk doesn't do GBA and VBA-rr doesn't work on Windows 8.1, PM me or post in here with your solution.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bef posted:

Even if Red does make it, there are still 3 trainers he has to battle and not blackout..plus he can fall down two more ledges where he then has to start over :q:

There's a Pokémon Center just short of the Dark Tunnel.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vifs posted:

By the way, I'm streaming Pokemon Yellow. I'm still working out some bugs, but it works mostly fine. Also there is not that many people watching right now, so you can almost control HGpkmn.

When you said you planned to stream this, I kinda thought you meant you'd be streaming the random button presses mode :(.

In my current iteration of random bot, v! has been trapped in his bedroom for three hours.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vifs posted:

Random button presse mode? I'm not sure I every said anything about that, maybe I'm confused?

I'm not the original streamer, I explained in the thread that I'm hoping to get a bot that pushes buttons at random and I was planning to stream that. Now I see someone else is already doing that, and his bot is also still stuck in Pallet Town. It's interesting how the team of humans put a finger on the scale to move closer to victory.

Dr. Dos posted:

Werster is attempting to beat the world record on blue, with an ultimate goal of 1:51.

http://www.multitwitch.tv/werster/twitchplayspokemon

With multitwitch you can watch both at once and not miss a single down press.

The probability that Twitch Plays Pokémon gets a better time than the current best TAS of Pokémon is roughly 1 in 2^800000. Looks like they lose.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pyrovile posted:

Don't worry guys, once the chat manages to get past this ledge it'll be smooth sailing for the rest of the game.
We'll be at the Pokemon League in no time!

:suicide:

Holy gently caress. They'd pull off the walk-through-walls glitch before making it through there. Of course, they can't get that far anyway.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What happened to the chat? Jay Leno was just sitting there with no button presses for a minute.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't think they can beat the hiker without Jay Leno's help.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I cannot believe how clutch this Pidgeotto is, too bad it will lose to the second Geodude. But taking out a Geodude and a Machop was still goddamn impressive. Really, the actual battles here have been super impressive.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If he wins this fight I am building a shrine to the Helix Fossil and praying to it whenever I game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One rock throw miss :ohdear:

Two more, or a crit and one more, to win the fight.

edit: And whirlwind into rock throw, time for the ledge again!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Red bot has been at it for an in-game day without getting a single Pokémon, so I'm shutting it down. I'll run it on Gold version overnight and possibly for the entire week.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

horriblePencilist posted:

You can leave Cerulean, but Cerulean never leaves you.

:goonsay: Actually, Pidgeot isn't that great. Good, but nothing amazing. Unfeazant has potential, but practically no useful moves. The only really good early birds are Starly and Fletchling.

I used to know the names of all the Pokémon, all 251 of them :(

Hog Butcher posted:

Run it in fast forward at like, 1600% :v: I think that's the highest VBA allows.

I was, the in-game day took an hour. It crashed once so I restarted.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stairmaster posted:

What about the trainer?

Baby steps.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vitamin P posted:

All 25,000 of them? The real hero here is the bird that goes down fighting.

Brought down two Pokémon and had the third in knockout range, then used Whirlwind. This is why Pokémon disobey their trainers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slate Action posted:

To be honest, for getting through the game Pidgeot isn't even the best Route 1 Pokemon; Raticate has similar Attack and Speed and can learn nearly every TM. Additionally, Ratatta gets the ridiculously overpowered Hyper Fang at level 14.

Aren't they both level 13 right now? Get hype for Hyper Fang.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Volcano Style posted:

I'm absolutely baffled that Charmeleon evolved. How did they get through all the people mashing B?

The input is so slow that by the time people noticed the evolution starting, it was over.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pentyne posted:

Have they been able to use a skill HM skill yet?

They've had some very efficient Cuts actually.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

precision posted:

The guy running it must hate money, because all he would have to do is make the chat sub-only for an hour and he'd make literally about $50k. I'm impressed that he's managed to resist that temptation.

We don't know who exactly is running it, but she could write a thesis on all the data gathered so far.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Morroque posted:

Watching this has led me to wonder something... What is the shortest possible sequence of inputs that, if repeated ad infinitum, would eventually finish the game?

I don't know, but the run for Blue is certainly shorter than the 28 minute sequence that completes Pokémon Blue (not Red) with glitches. In theory it could be pushed quite a bit lower, since there are so many non-input frames for each input frame.

This might interest the thread, a single input file that beats Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, Lost Levels, and 3 in 10:29 or less.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

This might interest the thread, a single input file that beats Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, Lost Levels, and 3 in 10:29 or less.

Which I forgot to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AerCVhoTM

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

scary ghost dog posted:

At some point in Pi is this exact phrase I'm typing right now if it were encoded into a numerical cipher

Pi contains the meaning of life written in every language, and an infinite number of "the meaning of life is" following by terrible advice.

Morroque posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of that one. Perhaps there is some Golden Ratio of input commands that would eventually beat multiple games at once. What I was thinking of is more along the lines of how pi eventually becomes a repeating decimal over a very long sequence, and if there is not a similar sequence that can be expressed in a single block of commands -- the very base pattern of the game.

Eh, I guess there's always that.

I'm fairly sure there is a sequence that repeats twice, kind of like how Dark Side of the Moon synchronizes with Wizard of Oz on the first two loops but not the third. There's a run of Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) that lasts an infinite amount of time, since it's a 20-second sequence that reaches the warp pipe to 1-1 from world 3 and just repeats forever. Were you thinking of something like that, except with actually beating the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Holy poo poo the RNG bot made it to Viridian Forest and managed to heal its Charmander with a potion. What the gently caress.

He's back home now; did he get knocked out?

• Locked thread