Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Choumaru

Choumaru takes a step back, then composes herself with a quick glance around to make sure nobody else heard.

"... Thank you." She bows. "This impertinent ronin would beg that you not make this public."

"This world attracts spirits. They are... very unique spirits. And a unique problem for the town. This ronin humbly suggests it would be dangerous to get involved, but understands that this planet is otherwise dull."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"We're not leaving until I get my commission!" Misuko interjects, before she turns kindly at Choumaru. "Well, I suppose I can't say I didn't try to help out. Don't worry, we'll keep secret the fact that you apparently take inspiration for your plays from real ghosts haunting this planet with real grudges against the Great Clans."

She pauses, thinks about what she just said, then smiles.

"So, how about those notes?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kasuga Kei

"Oooooh! Nee-san, that's so...aggressive! And ruthless!"

The Tortoise smiles a little bit wider.

"Maybe little Kei is starting to rub off on you?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"I did learn from the best, I suppose." Misuko smiles back, then stands next to Choumaru. "But oh, I don't mean to bully our good ronin here. Come now, we're all friends in this place. We all share the same interests: ghosts, theater, no love lost for the Great Clans. Choumaru-san has nothing to be afraid of from us."

She takes the ronin's hand, and shakes it. "Right?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kohaku Kozue

"Didn't think I'd be interested...?", Kozue echoes, held in place by confusion before hurrying to catch up with the Crow. She listens to the exchange with wide eyes, mumbling to Toki, "do you really want to upset somebody that speaks to ghosts?", as she holds her hands close to her chest.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Ujina Risuta

With the content of the conversation changing markedly, suddenly Ujina Risuta is most interested, turning his attention fully to Choumaru. "As long as our ronin friend is only talking to them... I should hope." he murmurs loud enough for the group and the ronin to hear, his expression having grown... concentrated, his body language more... aggressive.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Marumaru Naganori

Naganori looks a little perturbed by the turn this has taken. "Wait a moment now, I was just - she's not the only on the ghosts are talking to, after all! She's just the only who's bothering to listen."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Choumaru

"Of course," Choumaru bows nervously.

She rummages in her kimono for a simple handwritten scroll and offers it to Misuko. "Here. Every week this ronin writes the play down for storage downstairs. It is a habit. That is the original."

"If you want more... Inspiration found this ronin at the local park, beneath the statue of Kaimetsu-Uo."

Choumaru looks you in the eye.

"But this worthless ronin humbly suggests you be careful. The spirits are restless. If you stay here, you will be in danger. This ronin apologises for speaking out of line."

Choumaru bows deeply.

What do you do?

Also: Gonna call for more dice rolls from here on out :getin:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kohaku Kozue

"What nonono don't ask-", Kozue starts to Naganoriu. "Don't warn me about danger-", she adds to Choumaru desperately, and then slumps, defeated. The call of adventure weighs deeply in her soul. She can't shame her ancestors, after all. She hangs there, for a moment, as if stuck, and then animates again.

"So, ah-", she says, scratching her cheek, embarrassed by her futile demands of others. "- I'll be going to the park, then."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"Hmm! On one hand, I've never had a real ghost encounter before and it does sound dangerous." Misuko mulls over it for all of three seconds, then shrugs. "On the other, I need to blog about something about this trip for my fans. So, alright! A ghost story, it is."

She takes the scroll from Choumaru. "Thank you. If it's not too much to ask, I would like you to serve as a guide for us. The last thing I hope for is for all of us to end up haunted or something."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Komori Hirofumi

"As long as there are no delays to our departure." Hirofumi grumbles. "We were sent here for a reason after all, and it isn't ghosts or Misuko-san's figurine." Inwardly, he wanted to see the results of the commission as well, partly out of curiosity at the quality of work compared to the sword, and partly to have a first-hand account of it to compare to the knock-offs he would surely end up buying, eventually.

"If inspiration is to be found in the park, to the park I will go."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Ujina Risuta

"Hmph. So be it. Yes I agree, if we are going to go off into this park then you should be our guide. If only so I can see what is going on between these ghosts and you, in order to judge." said Ujina Risuta, expression still relatively serious, although it has lightened just a fraction.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Choumaru doesn't argue with a higher-ranking samurai. "At once, Toki-sama."

Ancestor Park, Nibui Mura
Evening

The main walkways of this park are lined with statues of famous Mantis and soft lights. The greater area of the park you're actually walking through is mostly darkness.

"Over here," Choumaru says. There's a statue of Kaimetsu-Uo in the distance. You're pretty sure it was physically impossible for him to be that manly in real life, but who are you to argue with the sculptor?

At first, there's nobody there, just a muscled Mantis ancestor statue in a pool of light. Then you get closer, and as a thin tree passes through your vision someone who definitely wasn't standing there a moment ago appears. Choumaru steps into the light and bows to her.

"Ah, Batsu," the ghost bows demurely. "Good evening. A fine evening, is it not?"

"Good evening, madam," Choumaru bows again.

The ghost looks you over.

"Who the gently caress are these guys?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kasuga Kei

Kei bows, then puffs out her chest!

"Kasuga Kei, at your service! I'm mostly just here to be along for the ride. My bigger nee-san and nii-san are here for you~"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"Oh." Misuko blinks in... well, disbelief is not the right word. She knows well that ghosts are real, much more so space ghosts with long-term space grudges against other people in space. It's just there's a world of difference between knowing they're real and coming face-to-face with one who throws colorful language at her.

She takes a deep breath and makes a bow. Make a good impression. After all, it's not like a single misstep could literally haunt her for the rest of her life.

"Oh Great Ghost of Nibui Mura, I am Toki Misuko!" She raises her arms, beseeching the apparition. "Just a curious party here, who were taken in by tonight's play! Also not at all from the Crane, Mantis, Phoenix, or any Great Clans you can name. That seems important to mention."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Komori Hirofumi

"Oh come on, seriously?" Hirofumi says, in disbelief. Eyes rolling, he walks right past the so-called ghost, looking around in the trees and grass for some kind of projector. "What else is there to do here but play pranks on visitors?"

Unskilled Perception: 2d10k2 14, not really expecting to find anything but you wanted more rolls so

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru Naganori

Naganori bows as well. "We're member of the Minor Clans Alliance. A certain drunken Mantis mentioned you to me."

"I'm guessing you aren't a holographic projection and are actually a ghost?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ghost

Hirofumi doesn't find any projectors, and the ghost steps forward and sticks her hand in his shoulder. There's a slight tingle.

Then she steps back and bows. "Hida Kaiya. No need to be formal, I get enough of that poo poo from her."

(Choumaru bows again.)

"So what do you want?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kohaku Kozue

A simple bow, Kozue says, "Kohaku Kozue... of the Carp, but..." Hm. She hadn't really thought this through. But then, she was expecting something more worrisome. A spectre to flee from. But the Crab spirit doesn't seem particularly menacing, really. Holding up a finger as an idea rises from her confusion, she laughs. "Ha ha, I think some of us just wanted a ghost story, I hope it isn't too much trouble..." She folders the finger down, bringing the resulting fist to her chest. "... this humble roni..." She pauses, and Kohaku wracks her brain for the playwright's name. She'd nodded off during the play, though she had the decency to avoid snoring, thankfully. "Choumaru did warn us of trouble going on. If it's not too forward for a bunch of clueless tourists, ah-"

"- can you explain what the heck she's trying to warn us about?" When in Nibui Mura, after all.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"Crab. I didn't mention the Crab, did I? Nope. Good."

Kaiya doesn't seem too hostile. Misuko takes this as a good sign, so she relaxes a bit and follows up after Kozue.

"Kohaku-san makes a good point. We were warned that the spirits in this planet are restless. That doesn't seem to be the case. I mean, you sound a little cranky..." Crab and all, she mentally adds, "But doesn't seem it's over eternal torment or anything. Were you really killed by a samurai over a scroll?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 29, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hida Kaiya

"Hah!" Kaiya snorts. "Something like that. The details were changed. See, half the problem is..."

Kaiya gestures at the town. "This place. Most of the Mantis here are laying low, you see. They're pirates and other scum. They think it's boring here, but it's not. We're all drawn here. I don't know why, but... every ghost I've met died in space. To Mantis, like that loving pirate Eiheikin."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta

At first, Ujina Risuta regarded the spirit warily, and the others were much quicker to react in this instance. Having since determined that the spirit was not inherently hostile he decided it was time to speak. "Ujina Risuta, Hare Clan." he introduced himself at first, saving the usual pleasantries for someone who was more willing to appreciate them. "The exploits of Mantis pirates are becoming more... pronounced as of late. The activities of Yoritomo Osu for instance created quite a storm back on the World of Dreams, especially with the whole Lion blockade last year. Do you think the spirits are drawn here by the presence of the Mantis or is this mere coincidence, dramatic coincidence but coincidence nonetheless?" spoke Risuta, his expression even as he tried his best to maintain conversation.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hida Kaiya

"Probably their presence." Kaiya shrugs. "But most of us don't want to speak to them, and they can't see us anyway. That drunken Mantis only noticed me because he had Tanuki blood and ten cups in him."

Kaiya sits on the statue's pedestal. "gently caress 'em. Uncultured swine. I'm only even in town because it's getting dangerous out there. Wait, is that why Batsu brought you here?"

Choumaru shrugs.

Kaiya looks at you. "The spirits out there are going apeshit. Some... other kind of spirit is coming here and stirring them up. It's safe in here, but not for long. The crazy spirits are following us. You wouldn't be able to get that fucker Eiheikin here to confess so I can move on, would you?" she adds brightly. "Or kill him? Oh, it would be amazing if you killed him."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

Uncultured swine. What an interesting thing for a Crab ghost to say.

"I'm not sure we should be going out killing people, even if they made an injustice towards you. We're not exactly a crew of assassins, at that..." Oh, but to think that a secret like this simmers beneath this boring Mantis planet. She could blog about this trip for a long while.

Though, if they don't help out, and crazy ghosts do invade this colony for following Kaiya, they won't be much of a place to blog about. What to do...

"Where is Eiheikin, anyway?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 3, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kasuga Kei

"Well. For starters, I! I like you. But I'm a terrible dishonorable Tortoise, so that may not be a complement. As for the Mantis, I'm not sure I can do much against a whole planet. It's a bit outside of my talents...and my jurisdiction. But little Kei-chan can help you with this Eiheiken. As a favor! Or as friends. But I need to know who that is, first. Also, Choumaru-san, why does she keep calling you Batsu?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hida Kaiya

"She's obviously Batsu!" Kaiya floats around Choumaru with a big stupid grin. "The Ghost is whoever she talked to that week. The details aren't just changed for my protection. Isn't that right, Batsu~? I mean, a ronin who can see ghosts? Come on! Hey, is Emma-O your dad, or..."

"This humble ronin would never claim to be directly descended from the Fortunes," Choumaru says smoothly.

Kaiya points. "See? You hear that poo poo? She's some kind of loving... sincerity demon!"

"As for your other question, Toki-sama," Choumaru continues, "This ignorant ronin doesn't know all the details, but Eiheikin is not on this world."

"Huh? Oh. Not right now, anyway," Kaiya says. "I checked. Eiheikin destroyed my ship a few systems away. We were delivering intel to another Crab world. I tried to hide it, but..." she starts to fume. "He took my sword and armour as a trophy! I don't know where he is, but I refuse to let them keep their filthy loving hands on my classy gear! Raah!..."

She puts a hand over her mouth daintily until she feels better. "The play helped. I feel like I got closure. Still here though. Uh... I can't tell you where the spirits are coming from, but I think the town guard might? Tell you what, I'll find out what I can and meet you in the morning."

If nobody posts any more questions in the next day I'm moving on to morning and Naganori's job so we can get some CHOICE BRANCHES up in this business. Also, Hida Kaiya's haunting you but you don't take any penalties for it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kasuga Kei

"Sayyyyy~. You must see and hear everything. I don't suppose you could fill in little Kei with some of the choicer bits of gossip, could you? Reading a pillow book is one thing, hearing the stories first hand is MUCH better."

Haha feel free to jump!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"A Crab ghost has roped us into avenging her death by confronting a notorious Mantis pirate, and we ask her for the latest gossip in return."

Misuko conjures a camera with her AR device and takes ghost photos with Kaiya for her blog.

"This has really been more than could have I hoped for from this trip."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kohaku Kozue

"We aren't merchants. Committing a deed of benevolence is its own reward!", Kozue says confidently as she folds her arms, though she may be quoting Ikoma Matsuru's My First Book of Bushido, upon reflection. "But there's nothing we can do about it right away...", she adds more soberly, shrugging with a sigh. "Still, Marumaru and I will find out more in the morning, until then, we should drink and relax!" She beams, confident in her simple plan.

Edit: ready for a hop/skip/jump.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 4, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru Naganori

"We're helping Saeko-san tomorrow." Naganori nods. "I wouldn't mind relaxing a bit tonight though. Do you want to join us, Choumaru-san?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta

"True, helping the dead find peace is true compassion." remarked Ujina Risuta, in agreement with the others. He was relieved that this wasn't going to be as dull as he had expected.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hida Kaiya

"I could," Kaiya muses. "Come on, Choumaru, I have some questions about ghosts anyway."

"This ronin can assist for a couple of hours," Choumaru says.

Hida Kaiya is now haunting everyone who wants it! In game terms, this means you can use the Courtier skill as though you have the Gossip emphasis, so you reroll all 1s.

. . .

Magistrate's Office, Governor's Estate, Nibui Mura
22nd Day of the Monkey, 3122

Shudo Saeko's office is placed to make it easy for Atsuya to pester her. She's not normally in it, and it's a bit of a mess. She's cleared enough of it to look barely presentable before you got here, and when you enter she's sitting behind her desk with her datapad projecting a holo-desktop in front of her.

"Good morning." Saeko spins the desktop towards you and highlights three things in her planner. "These are the three things that absolutely must be done today. You can choose one, I have enough guards to cover the other two. First..."

"... Storage Warehouse 2 on Lucky Cat Street. Some hooligans keep smashing supplies in there," Saeko keeps a straight face, "and the Governor is worried about his spare teacups. He's requested capable guards to relocate the... cups to the magistrate's office."

"Or..." she checks her notes. Her straight face falters for a moment. "A close personal friend of the Governor is visiting and insists someone is trying to kill him. For his wares. He's a merchant. I've been asked to send some of my more capable men to this important detail."

"And we need someone to, ah, arrest the shugenja Isawa Natsumi on suspicion of connection with these incidents. And several others."

Ettin fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 16, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Komori Hirofumi

"Natsumi? The Phoenix in the observatory out there?" Hirofumi asks, and then feels dumb, since there is probably just the one Phoenix here. She had some motive in being stuck here, sure, but he didn't think she was the type to organize a hit or vandals. "Could we have a moment to discuss the options among ourselves?"

Turning to the group, he gives his case. "I don't think Natsumi has done anything, at least not intentionally. She seemed enthusiastic but stifled by the Mantis' restrictions. Maybe the spirits are reacting to her emotions or something? I don't know much about that sort of thing. Anyway, a closer look at what is going on there may be in order, and a gentler hand than the local magistrates might use. Besides, if she is connected to all of these things, we figure her out and look even better, right?"

I'll be on business travel most of next week, so expect my slow posting habits to be even slower for a while.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kasuga Kei

Kei shrugs and sighs.

"Those all sound like things for big scary bushi, not little Kei-chan. I'll go wherever the rest of you decide on going."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"If you think you have a handle on Isawa-san, that might be the best approach for our talents." Misuko doesn't have any place in this city's affairs, or on police work like this. But apparently someone agreed on behalf of the crew. "I feel I might get in the way, though."

Meanwhile, she blogs her ghost selfies to her blog. Kaiya ends up as a vague, translucent figure that looks hard to recognize. Misuko thinks it just adds to the shots.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kohaku Kozue

"Well, then, I want to hear her story, so I concur with looking into Isawa-san!" Maybe not the most noble method of deciding, but it's at least decisive. She then waves a hand at Misuko, adding with a smile, "It's okay! Marumaru-san and I are the only ones obligated to help, if you want to look into something else, yeah?"

She looks to Kei. "Maybe you'd be interested in following another one of the things unofficially, I mean, if you're interested? Saeko-san seems to think this all ties together, so..." She laughs a little. "... I dunno! I don't mean to draw you into all this, I just thought it'd be fun to have an adventure as long as we're waiting!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru Naganori

Naganori nods along with Kozue's words. "We can help with Isawa-san I think. In fact, with something happening between two Clans maybe having us as a third party to mediate would help, right?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta

Ujina Risuta nodded calmly at the choices that lay before him, listening to the others input he finally decided an answer. "I agree with my fellows, I believe our talents are best suited towards the Natsumi issue." he remarked, at the very least he can go speak with the Isawa in hopes of getting to the bottom of this, arresting them would only be second priority, if necessary at all.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well, you made a choice, so let's go! :toot:

Shudo Saeko just nods when you return with your choice. "Very well. From what I know she's still in her tower. Here's the signed order Governor Atsuya gave me. If she asks, we'd just like to ask her some questions, but... well, if she tries anything, you don't have to bring her back in one piece."

. . .

Phoenix Tower [Everyone]

Hirofumi is pretty sure Natsumi sees you coming. Perceptive samurai will notice a window closing as the tower looms in the distance, and by the time you get there Natsumi is waiting with tea for everybody.

"Hello, hello! Oh, this is a surprise. Hirofumi-san, welcome back! And you brought some friends, I see. What's up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Toki Misuko

"Let's be realistic, Kohaku-san." Misuko shrugs. "Odds are good that I'll run into something far more interesting with you than on my own."

So that's how she ends up in a daring attempt to arrest Isawa Natsumi. Or not arrest her. Either way, Misuko goes there in full pop idol poise, to hopefully disarm the Phoenix with her presence while the bushi do their thing. "Hello~"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread