Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:stare: drat. Dunkwart's hardcore. Also more Chrono Trigger assets :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
See, see, that's how you do tragedy, jRPGs. :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... actually like that the time machine was completely useless in the long run. I mean, it feels like something they would try and fail at.

...weird that we didn't let the son of the dark god off of that science pedestal, though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:golfclap:

I think Dankwart qualifies as one of the best old-man characters out there. I'm consistently surprised (and delighted!) at how good the writing for this game is.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ah yeah! When I was praising the game earlier, this was the part that I really wanted to bring up. Malthur is a great character, and we'll see more of him. I'm bordering on spoilers here, but there is one thing connected to him and the complexity of the game that I like a whole lot. Also, Wahnfried is a suberp villain and I too love the moment when he shows the loving son of a dark god what true evil is like. And lastly, Dankwart is the best and I love how the game evolves him in front of the player. Like, you start with this sorta goofy old professor guy, and then he gradually becomes more badass without ever really leaving his old self. loving awesome.

Also

Yes. I am EVIL!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Glazius posted:

...weird that we didn't let the son of the dark god off of that science pedestal, though.

When you go to the lever to let him down, Dankwart suggests to rather leave him up there, and I can see why. All things considered, the guy was probably in full frothing "gently caress you I'ma gently caress your poo poo sideways" mode after getting tricked by Wahnfried and getting railed on by lightning and would probably have torn the party's head off just because he needed something to unleash his anger on and they happened to be the closest.

Tin Tim posted:

Malthur is a great character, and we'll see more of him. I'm bordering on spoilers here, but there is one thing connected to him and the complexity of the game that I like a whole lot.

You're talking about the "Malthurmeter", I presume? That's going to be fun.

Tin Tim posted:

Also

Yes. I am EVIL!

:allears: Spectacular.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update XXIV - Sounds Like A Great Idea To Me

We find ourselves back in the throneroom with Dankwart and our helpers in crime.

The sun! After all these years, finally the sun is shining on my beloved Falkenburg again!

Chief Knurrgahn! You upheld your part of the bargain and helped us drive that fiend Wahnfried out.
Now it's my turn to pay you back... you and your pack may now leave!
Finally! It's about time for us to leave this land behind us and to return to our homeland. MEN! WE'RE OUT OF HERE!

And leave they do.

Alvaro, it's good to know that you're still here.
No problem - my men won't leave until they get their pay, anyway.
Well, that shouldn't be a problem. But tell me...
What happened in the meantime here?
After you followed the bloodsucker, the tides started to turn. Slowly the dark forces begun to gain the upper hand. But suddenly the sun came out!
Then everything went very quickly. The vampires either fled in panic or turned into foul-smelling smoke before our eyes. We could then find some of them in their coffins. Those were then brought outdoors and opened. You can imagine what happened to their owners. The zombies and skeletons had a similar fate.
Only Chief Xelram, the right hand of the dark duke, was nowhere to be found!
Half a dozen of my men are still scouring the castle for him.
Thank you, Alvaro. Clearly, you are a man that can easily make the right decision under pressure.
It was the years of secret resistance that trained my skills, my lord.

I wonder how Grandy, Libra and young Tarius are doing...

Couldn't you have been a bit quicker, Grandy?

And the three come back.

Oh, my friends! I wouldn't have figured you would return so quickly.
And we wouldn't have been if Grandy didn't let Wahnfried escape.
Now that's not fair. I ran until I was panting my lungs out, but Wahnfried's head start was too large.
Dankwart! We have to hurry, please come with us. Maybe we can still catch up!
Sorry, my boy, but this time I won't be able to help you. For me, this is the end...
But why? We have to follow him...
You misinterpreted me... I meant that this adventure ends here for me.
But you can't give up now!
Grandy!
Just let him, my dear. He'll get it once he calmed down.
But we have to stick together if we want to take out this fangjob.
He's already tucked his tail in and ran. Why don't we send him to hell once and for all? This is our chance to finally get payback!

He still hasn't figured out that the "duke" title actually comes with a region to rule over and poo poo to do.

I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST THAT...

Dun, dun, dunnn.

MALTHUR! You! Aren't you the son of evil incarnate? That's the last thing we needed right now!
So, you really are Malthur. THE Malthur...

No time for long talk, old man! I'm here to see if you can be useful to me.
Forget about it, pal! Before I become your lackey, you'll taste my blade!
A bit more discretion, Grandy. Not everything we see is the way it first appears.
But Dankwart, he's the son of the Dark God. That makes him even more dangerous than Wahnfried!
That might be, but I have the feeling he's not here to harm us.

Mostly because if he was, you'd already be dead. Still, I'm not sure why only Dankwart clued in on this - I can understand Grandy being all RAAR EVIL MUST SMASH, but Libra must have picked up on the whole "oh by the way I'm now dedicating my life to wiping out followers of the Dark God" part during the reception.

You are right, and now hear what I have to say or get out. Time is wasting!
I'm not sure about this, Dankwart.
Maybe we best listen to what he has to say first.
Hmpf, if you say so. But don't you think that we're wasting our time? That scumbag still has our child in his claws!
I know just as well as you do. And that's why you're going to let him speak, so that we can leave soon.

So, child of legends... all eyes are on you.
I'll make it quick. Wahnfried seems to have something big planned, and your child seems to play into this somehow.
How do you know, demon brat?
GRANDY!
Don't act like you're anything special, dirtbag! I read his mind, it's as simple as that!
Mindreading? Fascinating... could you elaborate?
You wouldn't understand the process even if I explained it to you.
Over the years, some followers found a fitting name for it...
The Brainmelter!
Hm, you've actually managed to impress me. Your old figure seems to hold more knowledge than I first suspected.
Yes, that's all very interesting. Could we now please get to what he has planned for... for...
What is it, Grandy?
I... I forgot... the name of our daughter.
You don't know it either, do you?
...but how can that be? Our daughter...
Hm, a very interesting phenomenon. I think it's related to the timeflo-
Silence! We don't have time for this!
"We"? Since when do you belong to us?
Son, you want to deal with a foe that dared to attack Malthur, the Unspeakable! You're not capable of taking him.

For being unspeakable, he's sure been spoken a lot so far. Hastur is not impressed.

Well, he told you off pretty well too... or were you just resting in those lightning strikes?
You're right, he managed to catch me off guard. And what do you think is the logical consequence?

Grandy doesn't really do logic.

I think he's right, Grandy.
Right? About what? I'm not really following right now.

Told you.

I think he's suggesting some sort of... alliance.
But that's insane! Are we supposed to unite with one force of darkness to beat the other?
I have nothing in common with my Dark Father anymore... the opposite is the case: I hunt and destroy his followers wherever I find them!

You would know this, had you paid attention during his monologue.

My children, I can only say one thing: Strange times sometimes call for strange alliances.
I'll stay here and help the old Falkenburg come back into existence. I owe that to Doria.
Sir Malthur, please tell me what that monster plans to do to my daughter.
My knowledge is limited. I could only decipher parts of his insane mind.
Never before have I seen into the mind of a creature that was even remotely comparable to that vampire in its malice...
It was so overwhelming that it stole my breath and gave Wahnfried the chance to take me out.
But my yammering isn't going to help either. What do you say?
If it's the only way... then it has to be.
Yes, dear. We don't have a choice.
Then it is decided! But now tell me: What happened to the dark duke? How could he escape?
We followed him to the courtyard, but a darkened carriage must have already been waiting for him.
We could only watch as Wahnfried fled with the help of his hunchbacked servant.
I could see in his thoughts that he had this planned just in case, and I also saw which goal he has.
By the gods! Don't keep us waiting, Sir Malthur!
He's heading for Königsberg!
Königsberg! Of course... why didn't I think of it myself? My dear friends, you must leave immediately!
What's so special about Königsberg?
It's a city with a port! From there Wahnfried could flee to all corners of the known world!
And escape from our reach for all time.
I hope that my old friend Baron Davidoff von Schöppelbrunn is still in office. I'll give you a letter in which I'll ask him to help you however he can.
Excellent! Then let's get going as soon as possible!

Ahem...
What is it, Tarius?
Umm... but what about Malthur? I mean a big guy like that has to draw a lot of attention.
An excellent thought, my boy. Especially since there are quite a few scholars of the occult in Königsberg that would...
What is it, Sir Dankwart? Did you think of something?
Well, twofold, my dear Tarius. I just got an idea how we could get some camouflage for... our new friend here...
What are you thinking of, old man?
Pretty cocky, coming from a creature that has existed for eons.
Touché.
But back to my idea... I think it's time to get my old court mage Gandamel out of the dungeons.
That was that old horndog that kept staring at me the whole time we were down there, right?
Well, he has his problems, that I have to admit. He may be... quite enamoured with the other sex, but his skills are beyond question.
Then I'll get going so we can get going.

Oh, Sir Dankwart, how happy I am to find you unharmed. What is...
No time to talk. Tell him what he has to do.
And who is this rude young man, Sir Dankwart?
That, Gandamel, is Malthur.
Alright... so, what can I do fo- WHAT did you say was his name again, Sir Dankwart?
I said, his name...
Yes, yes, we know, he's the son of that dark god thing. Apparently he's on our side. We want him to look a bit more inconspicuous. And did we mention we're in a HURRY?
That's really thick, Sir Dankwart. And now you want me to...
If you could, my old friend. Give the son of the Dark God a form that's not quite as... imposing.
So I'm supposed to enchant you... well, isn't the body of a real demigod a bit too... well...
Divine? Don't be so scared! I had to lose a lot of my power in... a thunderstorm. I think it'll work.

Read: Why Malthur is going to be about on par with the rest of our party.

So get going!
Alright, alright, don't get your panties in a bunch... I really have to concentrate for this spell. So if you could step aside for a bit...

Now, step in the middle, Sir Malthur, so we can enjoy your looks in all their splendor one more time.

That's alright. Now, let's see...

We get a bit of magic animation, and then...

...heh, a masterpiece. What do you think of that, Dankwart?
Well... that's really... pretty... but... the eyes...
That must be some sort of kink the Dark God built in. I can't change that.

If you ever want to have children, then you best change me into a proper form. And by that I mean a MALE form.
But that way, nobody's going to...
I'm not joking!
Well, alright. Who am I to disagree with a divine creature? So, one more time...
And you best make it to MY liking this time. I have no problem with squashing an incapable mage before I go vampire hunting.

One more time...

Well, that does look a bit more inconspicuous.
A bit tiny perhaps...
But it's also... well... try the hood on your coat to hide your... piercing gaze a bit.

I'll... umm... be off then.

And he legs it like hell.

Right, now that we took care of that, we should really get going.
Dankwart, you wanted to tell us of a second thing you thought of...
In Königsberg, there lives an old school friend and a treasured colleague of mine: Wilhelm von Junzt - an expert in the field of the occult. You really should pay him a visit. My name should be enough to allow you to meet him. First you must head to Gumpensund, five miles south of here. There you must get some horses - I'll pay for those.
Good luck, my friends. It pains me to have to see you go, but this thing must be finished.
We'll bring this fiend to justice! Doria... will be avenged.
Watch out for yourselves, and come back to me in one piece.
Don't worry, we'll make it back!

Oh, and one more thing! Malthur, I can understand the pain and bitterness you must feel about that what happened to you on that day...
But you should try to keep your feelings constrained and choose the right tone if you want to stay undetected.
I'll remember that...

Then we get a little cutscene of Grandy riding a horse (I guess drawing all four would have made it too crowded?)...

...a little scene of our path (sadly without Indiana Jones music)...

...until we arrive at our destination:

Königsberg.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh huh. That's neat. So that wasn't the endgame? Cool!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
And then he stays behind to rebuild his country, but not before lecturing the loving son of the Dark God.

loving Dankwart. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh sweet, Malthur is a party member?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I almost thought they were going to stick with girl Malthur, after they put some sensible clothes on her anyway. It would have been a pretty good disguise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just found this thread, it's great. Nice translation. And I was really surprised that we didn't defeat Wahnfried here.

I'm surprised that people missed this, this is another reference to Breath of Fire 2, this time it's a statue of Deathevan, the final villain of the game itself!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, now I have an answer if somebody asks me what the most agonizing thing I've done in LPing was.

It's paging through 250 different headshots of roughly 100+ characters and wracking my brain over just where exactly those fuckers were so I can categorize them. A lot of those characters have just a few lines, and some of them I never spoke to at all (still no idea where the gently caress that grey version of Behla's headshot comes in, could just as well be a beta holdover), so I have to spend several minutes with every character either paging through my memory, hoping I can remember their faces, paging through my five hours of Königsberg footage or paging through the maps in RPG Maker trying to find them, and sometimes failing to do so and wasting even more time. And the worst thing is that I know that if I don't do this now, it'll just lead to more wasted time later.

What you can take from that is that Königsberg is pretty expansive and has a lot of people in it. It really is a very well-designed area with lots of great stuff for even minor characters and fun side quests, and I'm going to have a ball showing it off to you, but the prep work is agonizing because of that depth.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update XXV - Königsberg Ist Deutsch

CHAPTER V: THE DAY WITHOUT A NAME

It's time for the final chapter. As an aside, the shot of Königsberg is actually a shot of Riomaggiore, an Italian village, part of the Cinque Terre, a certain region of Liguria that is actually a World Heritage Site.

Königsberg - gateway to the world! It's been a long time since I've last been here. Horses aren't allowed within the city walls.

:eng101: "Das Tor zur Welt" is one of the nicknames given to Hamburg, the most important port city in Germany.

But there are stables for rent outside the city. The owner is a rich man.

Welcome to Königsberg! This city is pretty loving big, and there's lots to see. There's several parts of the city - the one we're in right now is Altenberg, a sort of residential area. I'll go over the other ones in time, but first of all we're going to be staying here.

Now, the very first thing to check out is our new party member. Malthur's about on par with our party as far as experience goes, he's a big tub of HP, but not a lot of MP.

This MP problem is not exactly helped by his spells costing a fuckton of MP, either. Seems he's a prime candidate for the magic amulet that halves costs, since I pumped the gently caress out of Tarius' MP pool with fruit.

His stats are also kind of blah, not helped with the rest of the party being pumped up on Vitamin Roids, and he can't use any other equipment bar stuff in the misc slot. Still, he's going to be an offensive powerhouse, but we'll go over his strengths in combat later. Now, on to exploring!

Welcome to Königsberg! Don't play around with your swords too much and we'll get along just fine.
No worries, we're not planning to cause any trouble.
That's unusual coming from you, dear.
Please don't let the guard get any bad ideas now.
No worries, I think I got the right idea... your girlfriend, I presume?
To be exact, we're married... I think. I still need to get used to the idea.
Drank a bit too heavily and then let yourself get dragged in front of the altar, eh? I know those stories well.
Now don't say the wrong thing, dear!
1) Who are you? 2) Tell us about the city. 3) Anything special happen recently?

Now that we've had our fill of battle and story sequences, it's back to bopping around town, asking everybody in sight about everything imaginable. Down the line, as usual.

My name is Rondrian, and I've been the head of the gate guards for years now. My men and I make sure that no dark creatures come into town.
What kind of dark creatures?
Where are you from? Don't you know of Düsterburg and its terrible ruler?
Now don't you start with your stories, dear. We need to get to the baron!
No worries, I know that we're in a hurry.

Actually, no, we're not. We're going to gently caress about in town for a long time before we start getting to the main quest, because there are sidequests and exploration aplenty here.

Königsberg is a peaceful town. If it wasn't for the threats from the east, we'd probably be out of a job. But that's probably not all that interesting for travellers like you... check out Minas' tavern at night. His "Pick-Me-Up-Special" is known far beyond the borders of Königsberg.

Last night, one of our guards was attacked at the gate. He mumbled something about a black carriage.
Could we speak to that guard?
He didn't survive the night.

So we now know that Wahnfried successfully made it here last night, so we're at least in the right place. Time to keep asking around.

Ho ho! New in town? May I introduce myself? I am Gruzli, son of Grizzli.
My name is Grandy.
You're dressed for battle, Sir Grandy... and that despite the long summer plaguing us with muggy nights this October.
Well, you don't exactly look like you're feeling hot yourself.
There you are mistaken, Sir Grandy! A real dwarf never takes off his armor, regardless of how much he's sweating!
1) Tell us a bit about yourself. 2) What's the climate here like? 3) Could I help you somehow?

I mostly ended up here by chance. I was looking for a wife and got to know an enchanting dwarven girl here. So I bought a house and got myself a job as a doorman at the Flying Fish. For that girl I would have left my home, the caverns of Zwergenbinge, forever - but it wasn't to be...
Did she leave you?
Not in the slightest! Our love was as firm as the earth itself! Some idiot told her that several galleons filled with gold coins sank near the docks here. And being a dwarf, she decided to dive for those treasures. However, she probably should have taken off her chainmail beforehand.
That's a terrible story.

Thanks to the cliffs surrounding the town we only get the winds coming from the south over the ocean... right from the Sarabian desert! Furthermore, Königsberg lies right on the gulf stream, which also causes mild temperatures. Since I've been here I haven't seen a single snowflake, and the trees lose their leaves in late November at the earliest. Königsberg is therefore a paradise for water rats and sun worshippers, however it's not to be recommended for dwarves.

Because of the heat, I suppose? Nothing much you can do there. The serving of beer is banned until sundown. If a dwarven ruler would pass a law like that, his rule would end within a few hours!
And how about some water?
Water? You want to poison me?

So there's treasure down around the port area. That's probably worth looking into.

Hello, my dear. You're new in Königsberg, aren't you?
Umm... umm...
Just say "yes", dear.
How about you drop off your mother somewhere and then I can show you around town... maybe show you some romantic spots...
"Mother"? That's it, doll! Grandy's mine! Got it?
Calm down, sister. Can't blame a girl for trying.
1) What's your name? 2) Romantic spots? 3) Anything new in town?
Trudel. I live down at the port, but that's too crowded for me. I love nature. But that changes at night. Down in Minas' tavern all sorts of strapping adventurers and sailors from all around the world come together.
All right!

It's pretty nice here, but it's even better down in Klipping. The people there are poor, but friendly, open-minded and in good shape too.
Klipping? What's that?
It's almost a village in itself. You'll get there when you go west from the port. North of Klipping is an old villa. I wouldn't dare to go there at night, but it's quite romantic during the day.

That about wraps it up for what we've got in Königsberg. We've got Altenberg, the cozy residential area, the port, where a lot of poo poo goes down and a lot of people are, Klipping, the poor section of town, some old spooky villa and finally the baron's castle, and there's a lot to do in most areas.

I don't know if it's exactly something new, but I'm getting the feeling that chivalry is dying around here. The people are getting more secretive and aggressive. Really, the entire mood in the city has been getting quite... irritated since a few days now.
Any reasons for that?
I don't know and I can't explain it either. Everything's so loaded, it's like a storm is brewing.

Foreboding. Well, we're in the home stretch, so it's probably time we get some sort of foreboding feeling.

Let's start rummaging through some houses, then.

First off, we have a general store.

Greetings. Here you can find everything you need in a working household.

If by "everything" you mean some lockpicks, a lantern, a hammer, and some clothes, then I guess you're right. We pick up a hammer because why not. Now, to find some nails.

Is this a weapons shop?

Oh, it's just the guard station. What a shame.

Who are you? I hope you've got a good reason to disturb Reyven Krähenschwinge by his work.

:eng101: "Krähenschwinge" comes out to "crow's wing", and his first name is probably pronounced like "raven". Somebody had birds on their mind.

1) What work? 2) My name is Grandy. 3) We need your help.

You're really trying to be funny, aren't you? You better watch out who you're dealing with. Being commander of the bailiffs is grueling work.

:eng101: I really don't think these guys are bailiffs. I'll continue to refer to them as such, but as far as I'm concerned, they're just loving guards with a fancy name.

But a vagrant like you probably doesn't even understand the meaning of words like "grueling" or "responsible".

You never even used the word "responsible"! I'm starting to get the feeling this guy might be somewhat of a prick. Next question.

Great, and how does that help us? I could add you to my great book of annoyances, of course... but I'm not in the mood right now... and I don't have the time, either.

Speak!
We're chasing down a vampire named Wahnfried! He's hiding somewhere in Königsberg!
You're not talking about THE Wahnfried, are you? The dark lord of Düsterburg?
Exactly that one. We chased him off and now he's trying to leave the continent. We can't allow that to happen!
If you planned on impressing me, you've managed it!
Never in my life have I heard a fairytale of that magnitude!

Oh come the gently caress on.

There's a great specialist in Königsberg for mental illnesses. He can probably help you out...

loving guards, man. No respect. No respect at all. gently caress 'em, they're guards. They don't deserve the fancy title.

Let's go back to looking around, maybe there's somebody in here that will give our party some respect.

Oh, I seem to have forgotten to lock the door. I'm sorry, son, but there's nobody here anymore.
What? Who isn't here anymore? And where am I, anyway?
Oh, I must apologize, sir - I thought you were here to enroll. You're at the KAoS.
Umm... yeah, right back at ya.
You misunderstand, sir. I didn't wish to insult you. "KAoS" stands for "Königsberg Academy of Science".

:eng101: Originally, it was the "KAdW", "Königsberger Akademie der Wissenschaften". And that sounds just like "KdW" when you pronounce it, which stands for the "Kaufhaus des Westens", or "the Department Store of the West", the largest department store in mainland Europe, located in Berlin. To be exact, the abbreviation for it is actually "KaDeWe", but pronouncing that sounds exactly like "KdW". I don't even know if there's a relation, but I thought I'd bring it up. Also, I like the "KAoS" abbreviation.

Oh... I didn't know that.
No problem, sir. I'm used to worse coming from the students. Still, I'll have to ask you to leave. If the doors are open much longer, something might get stolen.
I'm already gone.

You'd think that this place would be important at some point, after all, this is where Dankwart studied and everything... you'd be wrong. The only thing you ever see of this academy is this very room. The doors lead nowhere, and you can't even enter anymore after this scene. I guess I can see why - if I had to map out an entire academy worthy of being called a world-famous academy, I'd probably rather just shoot myself. The university I go to isn't known for being really great, and it's so large it's spread out all over town. If I wanted to map a centralized version of it out, it'd probably end up bigger than the entirety of Königsberg.

Anyway, let's move on. What's this place, the post office?

Hm, doesn't look like it.

Is this city hall?
Yes, sir. Do you have any concerns?
Not really, we're just looking around.
This is the city hall, not a museum.

Well screw you, I'll keep looking around!

Not so fast, there. May I ask what your concerns are?
Concerns? We want to go over there!
It's not that easy. We're very busy and you need a good reason if you want to pass.

THERE'S NOBODY HERE, HOW loving BUSY CAN YOU BE. loving bureaucrats, man. No respect. No respect at all.

Nobody's opening...

Locked door over here, guess that'll be important later.

What's over here then?

A kid and a giant fuckoff teddy bear. Alrighty then.

Whoa, who are you? You've got really BIG... eyebrows!
Umm, shouldn't you be in school or something?
We're on vacation! VACATION!
You don't need to scream because of that...
Why aren't you out playing with the other kids then?
Mom said I'm supposed to watch over the house so bad people with big eyebrows don't steal our toys.
Ah, I see... I'll tell you when I see one of those guys.

So, what's the deal with this bear?

Hands off my Schöppi-bear!
"Schöppi-bear"?
Yes, Schöppi-bear. What else would it be?
Why is it called Schöppi-bear?
Because the baron likes them so much, I think...

:eng101: This is a reference to teddy bears being named after Theodore Roosevelt, however, the reference goes a bit deeper. The baron's full name, I believe, is Serafin Davidoff von Schöppelbrunn. One of the major contributors to the game and one of the old guard in the German RPG scene (who goes by the alias GSandSDS) is named Sean David Schöppler. Additionally, the baron's advisor is named Grimor Schlangenzahn, so the baron and his advisor are literally GS and SDS. There's a few more references to major contributors to the project in Königsberg, and we'll get to those as they come up.

Next up, there's this guy. He constantly runs around a few houses and just tells you to get out of his way. Theoretically, you're supposed to talk to him when he stops to punch the air for a bit, but I couldn't get that to work properly. Might be an imbalance in the system or something.

So I just spammed the spacebar until it worked.

What do you want?
What are you doing?
I'm training for the fight tonight.
Fight? Hey, if you need another sword or two, we're ready!
You misunderstand, my friend, I'm talking about a fistfight, a contest for sport.
I see.
I'm noticing that I haven't had a good opponent in a while now - I'm running out of energy too quickly. That'll come back to bite me some day. I could use some refreshment...
1) If we could help you somehow... 2) Just relax for a while.

I smell sidequest.

You'd do that for me? Down at the port there's a bakery. They always bake some bread with special ingredients for me. Very exotic ingredients...
Not that cheap...
So if you could advance the 200 bucks, it'd be great if you could get me some bread.
1) Yes 2) No

Turn down a sidequest? Never. Also, I wonder if the bread is supposed to be an allusion to performance enhancing drugs.

Great! Just head south, it's not far. Tell the saleswoman that it's for me.

Well, we never got a name, but we'll figure something out. We're not in a hurry to solve that quest just yet, though.

First we need to explore some more.

Why hello there, fancy seeing you here!

Couldn't you have taken something else from that moneybag? His boat, for instance? You know that I can't stand being in enclosed rooms!
You can't be happy, can you? Instead of lauding my trick with the four aces, all I get is complaints. When did we ever have this, Thorn? Our own home? After you've gotten used to it for a few days, I'll have to drag you outside, just you see... And this town with their rich moneybags is the perfect place to become a rich...

What are you doing here? As far as I know people in Königsberg knock before they enter a house!
That's rich, coming from you, Dante! I tried your "magic" short sword in battle...
Ummm... and did it not work or something?
You can say that again! The thing didn't make a sound when orcs were nearby...
I didn't say that it could talk...
Don't try to talk your way out of this, it doesn't glow either!
Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you everything about that sword... you have to activate it with a magic word every morning.
A magic word?
Exactly, otherwise it doesn't work.
Why didn't you say so in the first place? Out with it, what's the word?
Well, that information doesn't exactly come for free...
That's enough! I paid 3000 bucks for a working orc-detecting-sword, so now give me the word or I'll chop your drat head off!
Alright, I bend to violence: Banana peel...
Banana peel... I see...
Just say it every morning and the sword works just fine!
Alright, I'll try that. If it then doesn't work, then you'll get to hear from me.

Yeah, like that'll loving work. Of course, we don't get an opportunity to try it, there's no orcs in Königsberg. Does Dante have some other crap we could maybe blow some money on?

I can tell that you're looking for magic artifacts, am I right?
Magic artifacts are never wrong.
Sadly, we're all out right now. But we're expecting a... delivery... of excellent wares next week. Just drop in again then.

Say, how did you manage to get through the gate anyway? I mean, the guards aren't going to let a wolfman through...
Especially one coming from Düsterburg!
Well, the guy at the gate actually knew his stuff and realized that I am neither a wolfman nor a werewolf!
Really? But what are you then?
A Sarabian dogman, am I right?
Don't you dare tell anyone about that!
What's that?
They were bred in Sarabia as harem guards. They assumed that they'd be immune to the allures of the girls in the harem... but that turned out to be a mistake. One of the dogmen found great enjoyment in the company of human females.
As the whole thing came out, the Shah had them all put to sleep. Just one couldn't be found...
That was an accursed injustice!

Backstory! Malthur is replacing Dankwart in more ways than one - when you wander around the world for centuries, you pick up on a lot of things, and he's going to be explaining a lot of things throughout this chapter.

What? I hope you have a good reason to be interrupting Kunalbert von Süppelbrack during his inspection rounds.
Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Grandy, and I didn't know you were making important inspections.
1) What are you inspecting? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) What do we have to watch out for?

Ancient creatures lurk in the deep of the mountains. The ingenuous citizens of this town don't even know they exist. But in certain nights, if the stars are right, they leave their lairs to steal little kids, dogs or similar...
But why are you inspecting during the day when they're out at night?
Good question. It's an old problem of mine - I'm night blind.

Many ages ago, the mountain on which Königsberg was built was home to an unspeakable cult. They paid homage to demons and slime snails in some kind of disgusting rituals that I can't even describe for the sake of your young ears.
The humans that committed those sins are gone, but the monsters they prayed to are still there! They wait for the day they can take power again and enslave the unknowing citizens of this town! But as long as old Süppelbrack is keeping watch, that won't happen, yes sir!

Watch out for anything that has more than eight legs, or black tentacles instead of arms! Purple glowing eyes are another indication that you're dealing with a creature of the infinite deeps! Another reason to be mistrusting is if your conversational partner is constantly sucking on freshly squeezed eyeballs when you're talking to him...
Pardon me if I interrupt, but do you possibly know the books of Wilhelm von Junzt?
Of course, young lady. I don't read anything else. Why are you asking?
Then you must know where he lives.
Just follow the path that leads up the hill. It's the last house before the cliffs.

Basically, what we gather from that is that Junzt is somewhat Lovecraft-inspired. And when we ask that third question again, we get something else:

Trust nobody! You can't trust humans, women or animals! You can only trust your sword!
Don't women count as humans too?
Only in the broadest sense, dear.

Well, let's move on and head up that hill then.

Greetings, young sir. You're not from here, are you?
No. My name is Grandy. My companions and I just came in from Düsterburg.
Really? The traders always say it's dangerous out there, but the profit makes it worth it.
Those times are over! We cleaned up there. 1) Who are you? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) Any interesting rumors going around?

My name is Leomar Hammelback. Most of the time of my life I spent in the silver mines of Gardafels until it came to an accident.
What happened?
I got buried alive. Three long days I was buried under rocks until I was rescued. I still have trouble breathing, which is why I settled down in Königsberg - because of the good air.

It's peaceful here in Altenberg, the oldest part of the city. Down at the port things are too wild for me - must come with age... but for young people like you, the port has lots to offer. Taverns, shops and many guests from faraway countries... and then there's Klipping, west of the port. The poorest of the poor live there. I never went there, too dangerous...

People say a black carriage drove through the streets last night. Strange story. Because of the cliffs you can't drive a carriage well and it wasn't seen anymore after that. The guards at the gate said they didn't see one either, but it couldn't have just fallen from the sky, right?

Probably prudent to assume Wahnfried did some black magic poo poo with that carriage.

Let's check out the inn next.

Ah, guests! How nice, how nice! How can Aaron Senkelfried be of service to you?
We don't need anything right now, we still need to have a meeting with Baron von Schöppelbrunn.

Well, that was... pointful? Also, yes, Aaron here is related to Elwys from Düsterburg.

Can I help you?
1) We're new in town... 2) Who are you?

Do you maybe know more about this town?
I'm new here myself, I just arrived here yesterday by boat.

My name is Sol Aeinur. You can do without knowing where I come from or how I do my day's work. But to at least give in to your curiosity a bit, you should know that I have a date with destiny here in Königsberg.
Do they all talk like that where you come from?
Yes.

:eng101: This guy talks really awkward. I wouldn't even know where to start with him to make it sound similar and eventually just threw my hands up and said "gently caress it". Also, that was... also pointful? I guess? Let's check out Junzt's house, then.

That's the house that was described to us.
Then let's see if sir von Junzt is at home.

We knock on the door, and...

Looks like nobody's home...
Maybe we should come back later, after we've talked to the baron maybe...

Eh, let's talk to more people first.

Hello. You don't seem to be from here.
Right. How could you tell?
The smell.
Told you it was high time for a bath, Grandy.
I didn't mean to be insulting - it's just that the people here cover up their natural smell so much with soap and oils that it makes me sick.
1) Who are you? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) Any rumors going around?

You're an... elf, right? With the pointy ears and the like.
I am Kokibi of the Greenwood elves. When young Greenwood elves become fledged, they leave the forest for three years to go and see the world. Apart from that, you'll only rarely see elves inside a fortified city like this...
And, do you like the way humans live?
It's kind of entertaining, but I couldn't bear it for extended periods of time. That's why I'm always out here.

Although the city is very large, it has a lot of greenery compared to other human cities. I like it most of all in Klipping, west of the port. It's nice there, and the people don't smell so much. I'm here right now to study humans - I don't get a lot of opportunity to do that in Klipping because I'm usually playing with the children.

It's not really a rumor, but there's an old abandoned mansion north of Klipping. I was there only one time, and I won't be going back any time soon. It's infested with the horrors of the past. I tried to find something out about it, but nobody wants to talk about it.

I guess that mansion is going to be something we're going to have to explore some day. Next, let's head to the right, over to the church.

Greetings. Can I help you somehow?
What are you doing?
I'm taking care of the grave of my dear husband, who left me a week ago.
How did he die?
He must have had a terrible nightmare. In the middle of the night he bolted upright in bed, screamed out the name of our daughter, clutched his heart and fell over, dead.
What happened to your daughter that could have caused this?
I don't know, myself. Right now, she's living with relatives and is learning how to act like a proper lady. I haven't heard from her in weeks.

:stare: Uh oh...

Where do those relatives live?
In a dangerous region. My sister Xynthia lives on Castle Rabenstein, in the domain of the dark duke, Wahnfried.

:stonk: Oh god.

What's wrong, sir?
Nothing, please excuse me.

He walks away.

I can't tell her now... later, when this all is over...

Well, let's go check out the church. Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

Really spiffy looking place.

Can I help you?
1) Not a lot going on here. 2) We need a priest. 3) Who are you?

You're right. Father Abraham always says that the people just bury their head in the sand when evil throws its shadow.
What?
He believes the Dark God is preparing to try and take over our sphere. He could see the signs everywhere... but instead of strengthening their belief and going to church to stop him, the people hide in their homes.

You'll find Father Abraham in his chambers. He'll surely help you out.

I'm Bobo, and I'm a neophyte. Ever since I could remember I wanted to serve the Gracious Father, and now I'm finally old enough.

Can I help you?
1) Who are you? 2) We need a priest. 3) What are you doing?

Some of this is starting to sound like NAME, JOB, BYE to me.

I'm Piet, and I've been a neophyte for a year now.

You'll find Father Abraham in his scriptorium.

Sadly it's my turn for kitchen duty. I'd much rather be playing with my friends... but since I became a neophyte, I've barely had time to.

Now, there's something very, very, VERY important here (and somewhere else, but this really is the best place to get it, and if you miss it here, you'll probably miss it somewhere else too).

And that's these sticks here. Use them in the inventory and then...

You know, when I look at this stick a bit closer...

...Grandy sharpens it and makes a stake! As you can imagine, this can be quite crucial. We make three of those. Now, we just need somebody to bless them...

...oh, right.

What can I do for you, my son?
1) We need holy weapons. 2) Tell me of the gods...

We've got this stake and would like to ask you if you could bless it for us?
Of course, my son.

We do that three times because it only does one at a time.

The world is split in three spheres. In each of them one of the gods resides.
In the lowest sphere, also known as "The Seven Hells", the Dark God rules. It is his task to punish the souls of the damned for their sins.
The highest sphere, also known as "Heaven", is the home of the Gracious Father. His task is to make sure that love and justice always have their place in the world. It is HIM who the church serves and whose word it spreads.
And the third sphere?
Well, my son, that's the world in which we live.
And is there a god here too?
Indeed. He is everywhere - in every human, every animal, every plant, every stone. He is a gracious and compliant god that allows every being to act of its own will.
However, the Dark God tries to abuse that state of things. He tries to expand his influence to our sphere!
But together with the Gracious Father we have always been able to prevent that.

Well, so much for the theology lesson. Let's go check out some graves, that's always great.

Let's just go through all of them in no particular order, since all of them do nothing.

Kresikom
It was pretty much unsalvageable

Julian
His cows were his undoing

Bahamut
Rest in peace - but rest!

Fryie Irghuryn
Ledunar was there first

Mikos
Probably should have shut up

And then the last one:

Beta
Alpha

What?

I don't know if any of these are supposed to be references or something, no idea.

Well, that'll be enough for now. Next time, we're going to be exploring the port!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that's an interesting theology at work here. Sounds kind of animist and a little Manichean.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd guess Bahamut is a Final Fantasy reference, as he was a benevolent god in the original D&D. He sorta alternates roles in FF though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update XXVI - What Do You Mean, I Already Did A Sherlock Holmes Reference?

Alright then, next stop on our tour through Königsberg will be the port. There's once again a lot of things to see and a lot of people to talk to, so let's get going.

:ssh: Pay no attention to me using the wrong dialogue picture for the kid here. I just couldn't find it in the mess of images I have and decided to use one of the clones.

Hello, who are you?
I'm Grandy, a kind of professional hero. And you?
I'm Dani, but that sounds like a stupid girl, so my friends call me Frägelschö.
"Frägelschö"? Well, that doesn't sound like a girl's name, but... but that just sounds dumb.
That's mean, you professional hero! Now I'm sad, and I'll be sad until you get me a Kaiser roll!
A Kaiser roll?
Yes, you dummy! I'm sooooo hungry! And my mom just keeps giving me these stupid multi-grain rolls!
I'll see if I can find one.

Oh no, we loving won't. This might look like the beginning to a sidequest, and it is. However, there is no reward in store for us when we do everything he asks us for, all we get is a Bad Thing. This is part of one of the most interesting things about Königsberg, but I can't talk a lot about it because it only comes into play right at the end (like any proper trap does). So until then, I'll just be continually referring to Bad Things that we could be getting. For now, let's just ignore this guy.

Greetings. You're new in town, aren't you? I suggest checking out the Flying Fish tonight.
Are they giving stuff away for free?
Not exactly free... but a strong guy like you has the opportunity to make a good bit of money there.
Sounds good. What do I have to do?
Can you keep a secret?
Of course.
Tell Gruzli, the doorman, that Benno invited you. Then you can get into the VIP area.
VIP?
"Very Interesting Pugilism".

That's one of the many ways to get to the boxing fights in the Flying Fish. Another method would have been to have brought a beer from Düsterburg to give to Gruzli, and another method is to bring Ali (the black boxer guy) his bread. We'll do that eventually, but first we've got other places to check out...

...like this shop here.

Ahh! You new be must! Sheeva not know you!
My name is Grandy.
Grandy? Is weird name! You come from far away, Sheeva right?
Not really. My friends and I are from Düsterburg. We're fighting against the darkness.
Ah! Then you here at right place be! In Sheeva's store you find all you need!
1) What can I buy here? 2) Tell me about the city. 3) Any secret tips?

Ah! Sheeva have many valuable talisman for every situation. Hero needs good strong talisman when fight against evil! And other things from far countries. Many things that you not find in other stores.

So, Sheeva. His inventory is kinda useless, with the exception of one item - the obsidian amulet. It protects against black magic, and that's pretty much the only magic we're ever going to run into at this point. We pick up three - one for every party member except Tarius, who already has the MP-cost halving amulet, which is even better. Now, let's see what else Sheeva has to say.

Ah! Königsberg is nice city. You see palms in front of door? That from shah of Sarabia! Sheeva feel like home here. People be friendly and smart, very smart. Not like Sheeva. Many young people be from academy of magic or others. But good old Sheeva like all people. Dumb or smart.

You must visit my friend, Sach N' Macha. Has store very east of port. He great builder. Builds many great things. You tell him Sheeva sent you, then he make time.

:eng101: "Sach N' Macha" comes out to "Sachen-macher", which basically means "guy who makes things". Fantastic.

Next stop, the first of the two taverns.

Pardon me, but we are closed.
We didn't know. When do you open?
Just drop by after sundown.

I presume the other tavern will work the same way?

Pardon me, but we're closed throughout the day. You can come back tonight.
I was wondering why it's so empty here. Excuse me, we're already gone again.

Oh well, time to keep exploring then.

Welcome, travellers, to my little store for herbs and potions. I am Melissa.
Good day. What kind of herbs are you selling?
All of my wares are capable of healing. I've studied for many years at the magic academy. I brew all of my potions myself and some of them you won't find in any other store.

Melissa's store here is pretty handy to have. It has all sorts of great healing items, including items that heal the entire party, and one particularly awesome item - the Gift from the Gods. That item heals the entire party completely, both HP and MP, and also revives all fallen party members. It's the ultimate healing item, but it comes with a price - 9000 bucks is loving incredible, especially considering that a elixir, which heals all HP and MP for one party member, costs 600 bucks, so four of those would only run you 2400 bucks. Add a few smelling salts to that, and you've got about 3000 bucks for something that does about the same thing, it just requires more party members to stop their attacking for a round. Still, since we're really loving rich, we could pick a couple up. We don't, though, because there's a couple more stores to go through.

So let's just continue barging into other houses, like the RPG heroes we are.

What are you doing in my house?
The door was open...
But just because of that you don't just wander into a stranger's house. You could have at least knocked...
Pardon me, that's just the way we do it where we come from.
I'll look past it the first time, my young friend. I'd love to give you a course in the local etiquette, but I don't have a lot of time.
If you would allow me a question...
But only one!
1) Is there an inn somewhere around here? 2) Do you have relatives in Düsterburg? 3) What do you know about Königsberg? 4) Who are you?

It really doesn't matter what we ask, it's all inconsequential. Let's pick the third option.

It's a peaceful city where privacy is very important.
And now get out!

The next time we try to go into this guy's house, we're given the choice of knocking beforehand. So we knock...

...then we enter...

...then we get bitched at again.

Didn't you get it the first time? You're supposed to knock!
But I did knock!
And? Did I ask you to come in?
No.
Are you noticing something?
OUT!

Well, that was somewhat entertaining.

Let's check in with the bakery while we're here.

Good day to you. I've never seen you here before.
We're new in town.
You should try my delicious rolls.
We're supposed to get some bread for Ali, some sort of special power food...
Ah, I see. That'll be 200 bucks.

Then she goes to get the bread. You can see there's only one loaf there.

Then we bring the bread back to Ali.

And? Do you have it?
Of course... here you go!
Great! Thanks a lot! Here's your money back and one for your troubles.

One extra buck. You cheapskate son of a bitch.

Come to the Flying Fish tonight. Tell the doorman I invited you.

And we get an extra invitation to the boxing matches. Well, anything that guy can do, we can do better.

Good day.
1) Ali wants another bread. 2) We want to buy some rolls.

The rolls are basically useless AFAIK. You can give one to that kid, but we've already established that can lead to a Bad Thing, and otherwise I don't know of any reasons to buy them. Instead, we'll get another bread.

Ah, I see. That'll be 200 bucks.

And then she gets another one, which has regenerated now that we've left the area.

Now, we're going to eat this bread ourselves.

Not bad, this stuff...

That got us a bit of experience and one strength point. However, that's not the main reason we got this bread. Now, we leave, come back, buy and eat the bread 19 more times. This will give us a massive loving edge later, I'll come back to it when it's relevant again. Then, it's back to bopping around town, looking for sidequests and other stuff.

My present, my wonderful... oh, pardon me. What can I do for you?
Hm, you seem to be pretty sad.
Yes, did you lose something?
We would gladly help if that's the case.
Indeed, indeed... lost, yes, I have lost something. What a shame, what an incredible shame.
What was it? It seems to be very important to you.
Important? Of course, very much so. How could I live without the present?
So tell me, what's this all about?
Oh, my, my present, the only treasure I ever had, is gone!
Was it so important, that present?
It is MY present. My TREASURE.
A ring, by any chance?
EXACTLY! How did you know?
Pure intuition. Where did you lose it? Or was it stolen?
Stolen! Yes, definitely stolen! I want it back! Pleaseplease! I'll give you something for it!
Well, let's talk about our reward after we've found it.
What is your name, anyway?
Hearon, my name is Hearon! Oh, you have to find it, please!

Well, we won't find this guy's treasure just yet, it's actually only available to us a bit later. So for now, let's move on, there's still plenty of people to talk to and sidequests to solve.

Ah! Customers! Do you want to buy my sword?
Maybe... let me take a look?
Here!
That looks completely trashed. Well, let's say... five bucks?
Five bucks? I wouldn't even serve you a half hour for that!
I don't need a servant! I thought this was about your sabre...
This is a katana!
I don't care how you call it, I don't want it!
Grandy, if I understood this man correctly, he wants to offer us his service as a swordsman, not his... katana.
Really? Why can't he say that properly, then? 1) Who are you? 2) Are you new in Königsberg? 3) Tell us about your job.

My name is Kahane. I follow the call of the sword. I serve whoever pays me and love to ignore the begging of my enemies.
Sounds fun. You have any other hobbies?
Hobbies? Er... splitting heads, slitting up stomachs, hacking off limbs, quartering, torturing, raping...
Thank you, but I didn't want to know it in that much detail!

My paths have led me here to this pearl of the north seas over endless steppes. I have slain brigands, wolves and penguins on my travels and drank their blood.
Umm... you got me wrong... I don't care what you do to pass your time, but about how long you've been here.
I've been restlessly wandering through the alleys of this mighty town, always on the lookout for people in trouble with enough gold to pay me.
I WANT TO KNOW THE DAY OF YOUR ARRIVAL!
Umm... the day before yesterday.

I follow the codex of the warrior. Only few people have the inner strength and physical strength to follow this path.
Now that sounds interesting. What do you have to do to become one of those warrior codex dudes?
Answer the following question: What is best in life?
Is this the entrance exam? 1) The hunt! 2) The battle! 3) loving?

The first answer goes roughly as expected:

My horse under my thighs, falcon at my wrist, an arrow in the bowstring and a delicious deer for dinner!
WRONG! You are unworthy of following the call of the sword!
Well, as long as it follows my call...

The second does as well:

To chase the enemy, to confront them and destroy them! To spit on their corpses and hear the lamentations of their women!
I didn't know of your fondness of those things...
Correct! Take your things and travel north to the monastery of the seven winds! The monks there will take you under their wing and teach you of the codex of the warrior.
I'll take a look when I have time.

But the third answer is the best:

Aww, we're going to catch up on that when we're finally finished with this, dear. Promise.

Of course, nothing comes from this, since we can't exactly drop everything and travel to the monastery in the north (if it even exists).

Can we help you somehow?
I can't believe it! You're the third one coming up with this today!
What?
No! I'm not having problems! No! I'm not a Draconian! No! I'm not a harpy either! No! These aren't my feet!
Not your feet?
These are claw sandals! The latest trend from Sarabia! My entire look is meticulously set according to the current Sarabian trends!
And what's this style called?
Dragon fashion! You might be looking at me funny now, you hicks, but one year from now everybody will be copying me!
If you say so...

There's something buried here!
A black leather bag. Something round, soft is in there.

Let's take a closer look into that bag.

Oh gods! There's two eyeballs in there!
1) Eat them? 2) What? Are you crazy?

As amusing as it might sound, eating the eyeballs is a Bad Thing, so we won't be doing it. I guess we'll eventually find out where that belongs.

Now, back to exploring.

Gero Ronsen - Investigator
I'll take EVERY case!

Well, we are looking for a missing vampire, so hey, this sounds like it might help.

Ha! Clientele! Consider your case solved! I take 100 bucks plus expenses. Any other questions?
What?
What does that mean - "What?" Didn't you come here because you have a mystery that needs solving?
We read the sign outside, dear... this man is an... "investigator".
Ronsen, Gero Ronsen! I make any sort of investigation. You have a problem, an unsolved mystery? Then you're at the right place!
Hmm... do you also investigate matters regarding vampires?
Sorry, that's the only exception I make. I've got a bit of a problem with my arteries, you must know.
Then you can't help us. See you.

Pardon me, sir, if I may have acted a bit cocky before. PLEASE, don't give me the cold shoulder...

Somehow, I get the feeling that YOU'RE the one with a problem that needs solving.
You're probably right, sir. I'm almost ruined. Nobody is making use of my services.
I'm not surprised, what with your look. You could use some new gear!
What do you mean, dear?
Well, just look at that wrinkled-up hat. Unfeasible! Take that off right away!

But I kind of feel naked without my hat, if you know what I mean...
Considering the bare facts on display I can relate to that.
We'll see what we can do for you. There has to be a fitting hat somewhere here in town.
Stay where you are. We'll be right back!
No worries. I wouldn't dare to be seen outside without a hat anyway.

One quick backtrack to the general store, and we find a plaid hat and a fitting plaid coat. This should do fine.

And right back to Ronsen.

And? Did you find something?
We found a pretty elegant plaid hat. Try that one.

Now I feel a lot better!
But now the hat doesn't fit at all with those thug clothes with those rivets. Nobody wears that kind of stuff these days!
We've got this plaid coat here! That would fit great!
Good idea, dear. How about you pay the same attention to your own look?
What's that supposed to mean? My clothing has to be practical and especially well armored, and that's that!

Don't you think that this coat is a bit warm for this season?
Now don't you start whining, sir Ronsen. If you want to earn some money, you've got to sweat a bit!
Well, now you look pretty proper... but something's still missing.
I feel tarted up enough.
Tarted up, yes, but you're looking like a gentleman on travels, and you're missing... a certain something...
And what should I do? Mantle my face? Grow a beard?
We'll take a look around in town, and we'll come back when we find something fitting.
Could I take this coat off in the meantime?
Don't you dare, sir Ronsen! You have to get used to wearing it!

You know, I think I've seen something that could fit.

Let's check back in with Sheeva.

Yep, there we go. A pipe! This seems perfect!

I think so... this pipe might bring some character to your vacant look.

I think we can unleash you on your clients in good conscience now.
Do you really think that the pipe makes a good impression?
Of course, sir Ronsen. Now you look like a person that thinks over all the possibilities before he acts.
Alright, if you think so, I guess I'll believe you.

So that's that sidequest solved, and we get some experience. And if we talk to him again...

I think I'll get a pseudonym. Schorsch, or Schorlock, or something like that.

You get right on that.

We've got more doors to open and check out.

Can't you knock before you just burst in here?
Sorry, we forgot. Force of habit.
Well, now that you're here... what can I do for you?
Who are you?
My name is Wahnfried.

:stare: And then Grandy pulls his sword out!

That's it then, pal! We'll take care of you now!
Grandy! Calm down! Can't you see that isn't the real Wahnfried?
I've learned not to trust just what I see! Or have you forgotten Roncarlo Ti Paroli?
Grandy! The sun is shining in here! A vampire would have gone up in flames by now!
Umm... that's right...
Now put your sword away, you idiot!
Get the hell out of my home, or I'm calling the guards!
Yes, of course! We're already gone!

His father didn't do him a favor when he gave him that name.
The man was definitely over thirty years old! In those days, Wahnfried was a name like any other.
I guess you're right there.

Calling bullshit. Calling your son "Wahnfried" in a German-speaking area is like calling your son "Insano" in an English-speaking area. Not a regular occurrence, and not a regular name.

Oh well, there's one more room to be checking out here.

Greetings. Can I help you? Who are you?
My name is Grandy and am a fighter against the darkness!
And pompous beyond compare...
My name is Natascha. I'm studying at the academy and specialized in exploring the ocean.
Sadly, the university is closed right now and all my friends are with their parents.
And what's with your parents?
My mother is long dead... and my father is a whaler. He's working very hard to allow me to get a proper education. Sometimes he's at sea for months. I haven't seen him since the last winter. And in the meantime, the money for my studies ran out, but as long as we're on vacation, I can work in the Flying Fish...
Don't you worry about your father? Hunting whales has to be very dangerous.
Of course... sometimes I lay awake for nights and can't think about anything else.
Should we help you with some money?
Thanks, that's very nice of you, but I can manage.

Hell, I wouldn't care, we're loving loaded from our turtle race racket. Still, I guess we'll have to see if we can't find out about this girl's father. For now, more wandering around.

G'day, folks. New in Königsberg?
We just recently arrived.
1) Who are you? 2) Aren't dwarves afraid of water?

I'm Minas, humble inventor of the "Minas-Pick-Me-Up-Special"!
Sounds interesting, sir Minas. Is that some sort of better smelling salt?
Honestly, it's got the reverse effect... I should probably re-think the name... If you want to try it, just drop into my tavern this evening.
When we find the time, we'll drop by.

You got some false information there, young man. From young age, dwarves love swimming in the ocean and in rivers and lakes, but there's one thing we hate:
And that is?
Drinking the stuff! Bah! Now, some dwarven beer, fresh off the tap, now that's what I want to see! It's also an excellent replacement for mother's milk, by the way...

Shitfaced dwarven babies. Sounds fantastic. Then again, I suppose dwarves simply can't get shitfaced, they just drink and drink and drink.

THE INSANITY! HA HA HA! THE INSANITY IS COMING! IT COMES BEFORE THE LORD COMES! LEDUNAR WILL STAY TRUE! YEEES! TRUE! THE LORD WILL REWARD HIM!
What the hell are you babbling about, man? Are you still sane?
Save your breath, Grandy. This man was given insanity by the Dark God.
What do you mean?
I've seen this a lot. Some people undergo a pact with the Dark God hoping to gain the ability to see into the future. But I haven't seen anybody that stays sane for long with that knowledge.
That's another example of how the Dark God treats his followers.

And as we try to leave...

THE DAY WITHOUT A NAME IS BEING FORESHADOWED! IT IS COMING! AND EVERY CREATURE WILL HAVE TO GET A NEW NAME!
What's this guy talking about now?
The "day without a name"... the followers of the Dark God believe that that will be the day following the night when HE makes his way into our sphere.

Well, that's awfully foreshadowy.

But I'm sure that's nothing important, let's just keep bopping around town, breaking into random houses.

Who are you, and what are you doing here?
Well... the door was open, so we thought we'd just check in to see if everything's alright.
That's a laudable attitude, but I can certainly take care of myself...
1) Do you live here alone? 2) What's your job?

No, I live together with my wife Trudel. But she's barely at home. Actually, I pretty much never see her.
Trudel?
What are you looking at me like that for? Did something happen to her?
Umm... no... I mean... I had an aunt named Trudel, and she always beat me.
I just had to think of that.

What he's trying to not say is that your wife is the town bicycle. And in a town as large as Königsberg, that means that bike gets a whole lot of use.

I'm no longer employed. I used to be a sergeant with the Imperial troops, which are also paying for my pension ever since that accident...
What kind of accident?
I would prefer not to talk about it. That's my own business... and perhaps the business of my wife as well.

I don't think we can ever find out what exactly happened there.

Nobody's opening the door...

What? A door we can't open? Inconceivable! Oh well, I guess we just need to make due with all the other stuff around...

...like this weapon shop!

Hello, folks! You looking for a nice blade or a shining armor? You've come to the right place with Weapons-Lars!
Greetings. I'm Grandy, and I'm always in business for a fine blade.
Then my assortment is sure to delight you! I specialized myself with the gear of the Kostakian dragon hunters. There's nothing better in the world, but it also has its price...

JESUS. Yeah, it sure loving has its price. I mean, we could afford a full set of stuff, but still, there might be other stuff we want in Königsberg. Best not spend a lot of money before we get spend-happy.

Hello together. You're new here, right?
Yep, we just came from Düsterburg.
Oh my, you seem to be quite brave. Only the greediest traders and a few sentimental old men dare to go there. How is it there?
It's peaceful now, we cleaned up there!
Of course...
We beat the hell out of the dark duke and chased him here to Königsberg.
Yeah, right...
What, don't you believe me?
No, not at all. You're a hero, of course. Just like my granddad, he always told me of his great achievements...
...that didn't make him a single buck...

...loving random guys at the port, man. No respect. No respect at all.

Let's get out of here.

Greetings, gentlemen. How can I help you?
First we need to know what this place is.
The harbor master's office. As you can imagine, I'm the harbor master. My name is Arturus... Artifex Arturus.

:eng101: Artifex is another one of the major contributors to the project.

What does a harbor master do?
I'm responsible for all the formalities connected to all the shipping traffic in the port. Every load has to be sighted and possibly declared. Furthermore I arrange passages on ships.
We want to... 1) ...travel! 2) ...know something about Wahnfried.

Eh, travelling is pointless. Mostly because Libra doesn't want to play along. Let's see if Wahnfried maybe booked a boat.

To be exact, a certain Wahnfried von Düsterbrocken, or Düsterburg, or whatever...
Have you ever heard of him? Did he book passage on a ship or something like that?
Of course the name is familiar to me, but I don't have anything registered under his name...
Perhaps something with the name "Xelram"?
No, sorry... I can't find anything with that either.

Oh well. I guess he wouldn't be that overt. Time to check out the ships currently moored here.

There's a bottle swimming in the water down there...

That might be relevant, but we can't get to it right now. Oh well again.

STOP! None may pass! Strangers aren't allowed on board!
Alright, we're leaving...

Greetings! What can I do for you?
1) What kind of ship is this? 2) Who are you? 3) What cargo are you carrying?

This is the Karat, the crown jewel of the Kostakian trade fleet.

I'm Brownbear and am the captain of this ship.
"Brownbear"... that's a pretty weird name for a seafarer.
Leave me alone with that! Not my fault that my dad was a rich fur trader in Kostakia. As an ordinary seaman I wondered whether I should change my name to "Seabear". The others always teased me about my name. But then I got to know a man the kind of which I've never seen before. A crafty fellow that knows all the waves in all the oceans of the world. His father named him "Susanne". He told me that it was this name in particular that made him what he is today, because he had to defend himself against everybody else. That impressed me a lot. I kept my name, and you can see where it got me.

We have grain and turnips for the Kostakian people.
No passengers? I'm talking about a thin, black-haired man with the skin tone of a Königsberger cheese.
No, only food.
And any sort of boxes, coffins or the like? A parcel for a private person.
Sorry, but I can't help with that either.

Well, that was kind of interesting. That'll be it for the port - join me next time, as we take a look at Klipping.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That bit about "Susanne" is an unexpected and fantastic shout out.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

God drat, I forgot how much stuff there is to do/see in Königsberg :allears:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tin Tim posted:

God drat, I forgot how much stuff there is to do/see in Königsberg :allears:

I know, right? I was thinking that having the guide would cut down on a lot of stuff, but god drat, I still ended up with roughly five hours of footage from the beginning of Königsberg to the end credits, and that was with the mini-game stuff cut out (which took up about half an hour plus as well). It's just crazy how much you can do, and how much you can miss, and how much it intertwines because of the timeflow. The party just got into town with the first item on our agenda being "go to the baron", and ended up faffing about for an entire hour of real-time just exploring and solving sidequests - and we haven't even gotten to nighttime Königsberg yet!

The only bad thing about this is that there's no way I'm finishing this LP before going on vacation through September, and then the whole thing will slow down again. Oh well, them's the breaks. Should still be able to push out a few updates before that happens - I at least want to make it to our encounter with von Junzt.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Having a random dude named Wahnfried is pretty great. It's always funny how there's only one Voldemort or Gabranth in the world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the size of Konigsberg. That's a lot of places to go -- how many screens does it take up?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

I do like the size of Konigsberg. That's a lot of places to go -- how many screens does it take up?

Not sure. I guess that if I took the time, I could do the math, but I hate math. Of course, that's not counting the interiors.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 21, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. This town seems even larger than Dream Estrana from the end of The Way.

Though not as surreal.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update XXVII - In An Octopus's Garden, In The Shade

Right, so in our grand tour of Königsberg, we're now going to knock off location number three of four we can actually explore right now.

This is Klipping, the poor section of town. You can tell because it doesn't have paved roads and has rickety-rear end houses. Let's check that one there out...

...empty. Alright, gently caress you too, house.

Let's try this one instead.

What are you doing here just waltzing into my house, you brats? Does somebody have to teach you some manners? Knock next time!
Umm... no offense. We just always do it that way...
That doesn't matter. If you want to talk, then introduce yourself properly!

And that's all he'll say. So, time to leave...

...knock on the door...

...wait for him to call us in...

...and now we can actually talk to him.

Greetings. What can old Hagolf do for you?
We're trying to track down a pretty evil guy that hid somewhere in Königsberg.
Did you notice anything suspicious in the recent days?
Well, I'll be! You can say that again! My dog disappeared, yes!
Umm... and what's so suspicious about that?
The suspicious part is that the same thing has been happening all over the place for the last few days. Or have you seen a dog on the streets recently?
Honestly... just cats.
You see! A few weeks ago that was completely different - you only very rarely saw a cat out in the streets... didn't come as a surprise, too!
Why?
Because there were dogs everywhere that made life for those little beasts a living hell! But then one dog after the other disappeared and these pests spread out. And now my little Fidibus disappeared as well...
We'll take a look into that, Hagolf. We have a dog of our own and can sympathize with your worries.
*high pitched yelp*
Good grief, Libra! What are you squeaking in my ear for?
We completely forgot about Julie. She's still in our house in Düsterburg, and we didn't put out enough food for her!
Holy smokes! You're right!
I hope Dankwart isn't too busy and remembers to take care of her...

Well, nothing we can do about that now, so let's see what else we've got going here.

Well, sir, how about a fish? Freshly caught - and it makes you smart, too.
Sounds like a sensible investment for you, dear.
I think I got the joke by now, Libra... you don't have to keep repeating it.

Considering you keep giving her reasons to make jokes like that, you've earned all of them.

What does a beauty like that cost?
Only five bucks...
I'll take one.

And we bought a fish! Yay!

And now what are we doing with this slippery thing?
I'm sure we'll find a use for it...

The reason behind this might elude you for a while, but it's there, trust me.

For now, more exploring.

Ha! Finally, somebody interested in my wares!
What do you have in store?
Magic utensils, my friend! And of a kind you rarely see!
Hm... ever considered that this might be the wrong place for a store such as yours?
Of course! But the guy that sold this dump to me hightailed it out of town.
1) Tell me something about yourself. 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) What do you have for sale?

My name is Kardamon and I've spent the last twenty years perfecting my skills in all schools of magic. I came to Königsberg because I thought a port city would be the perfect place to make some money through my knowledge. But the only customers I get in here are a few brats that want me to stuff candy down their insatiable throats.

Königsberg is one of the main trading points of the civilized world. If you can't find it here, you can't find it anywhere. But you don't notice a lot of that here in Klipping. The people here are nice and always in a good mood, but destitute.

I managed to bind magic energies in such a way that they can be used by a layman. I'm not talking about healing or something like that, but straight-up battle magic! I bind the spells in magic containers - called spheres - in a quite complicated and dangerous procedure. Because of that, my products aren't cheap, but still, take a look.

Sadly, Kardamon (which I'm pretty sure is just a letter or so off of being some sort of spice, I'm sure of it - Kardamom in German, I believe) will be stuck in Klipping for a while longer, because his products blow. Well, that's maybe a bit harsh. I'm sure these would have been loving great... if we could have bought them somewhere around chapter 1 or 2. Now that we're in chapter 5 and will be fighting pretty much nothing but creatures of darkness, four out of five of his spheres are useless. And the fifth one, the light sphere? Surely that can be useful? Nope, not at all. Everybody in the party that could use these has better options available. Grandy has his two vampire murder swords dealing out light damage. Tarius has his vampire murder song. Malthur and Libra? We'll get to those two eventually, but they too have better options for dealing damage against creatures of the dark. So yeah, this shop is a complete waste of time. Would have been great earlier, though. Moving on...

Nobody's opening...

Alright, another house that can go gently caress itself.

Let's try this house instead, which is guaranteed to not be locked.

And inside we find a mute girl!

Don't you want to talk to me?
She can't talk.
I can't believe it! The raven talks!
And? Never seen a talking raven before, dumbass?
This guy talks like you, dear.
1) Why can't she talk? 2) Who takes care of her? 3) Are ravens like you common?

That's a long and sad story. She was abandoned as a child by her parents at the gates of the church. The priests took her in and raised her. However, they were confused because the child was clearly mute. That wouldn't have been a big problem, but there was an incident when Sarah was about seven years old. One of the neophytes saw Sarah talking with a cat. She was capable of communicating with animals. The uproar with the padres was massive and it ended with Sarah being abandoned for a second time. Here in Klipping, probably because it's the place in Königsberg that's most removed from the church.

A young girl. She took Sarah in about three years ago. At night she works in the Flying Fish and she's normally here during the day. However, she hasn't been here for about two days. I'm starting to get worried...

Not amongst all these moneybags and these idiots focused on technology! I come from Sarabia, where people still believe in miracles. The court mage of the shah himself taught me to speak. Dozens of speaking ravens like me fly around their mage academy.
What's your name?
Stöö.
Was that a name or a coughing fit?
Now don't you try to be funny.

Well, that's interesting. Seems like we've got ourselves another sidequest - finding out what happened to the girl that disappeared.

Now, what's over here?

Greetings... please don't take Tonka too seriously. She's such a little whirlwind.
I noticed.

Though we didn't. All she does is yell at Grandy to go catch her, then darts around the room like crazy.

I don't know. We're here, to... well, let's say... protect the city from disaster.

This line normally comes after "Greetings, how can I help you?", but after talking to the little girl, the whole thing ends up a bit disjointed.

Did you notice anything special recently?
Now that you mention it... in the last nights I had the feeling that somebody was sneaking around the house. However, I didn't dare look out the window or leave the house. Also, my neighbor mentioned that a few nights ago a whole lot of suspicious folk wandered around the streets of Klipping.
Did she say what kind of people they were or what they did?
No, sorry...
But I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Swenja often tells stories like that to keep us from getting bored.

No, this isn't the kind of game that does false rumors. There are suspicious folk about, and we'll have to uncover their shenanigans.

Maybe this house will be important in that regard?

What are you doing here?
1) Whoa, wrong door! 2) We were supposed to deliver something... 3) We just wanted to talk... 4) We're the wild highwaymen!

Doesn't really matter what we say here, with one exception - picking number 4 is a Bad Thing. We'll just go with number 1.

Then get out and look for the right one!

I wonder if this mysterious masked guy is related to the suspicious people going around in Klipping.

Next stop.

Sir Grandy! Good to see you again! Please excuse that we left so quickly from the Squeaking Boar, but Winfried had urgent business matters to attend to. Could you take care of the monster?
Don't worry, sir Waldemar. The forests of the Rabenstein Marches are safe once more. And Wahnfried doesn't rule over the region anymore, either! 1) What are you doing here? 2) Anything new in town?

I trade in magic fruit. We import these rare delicacies and then sell them in the entire empire. Sales here in Klipping are rather slow - I'm trying to get a store in Altenberg, but that's not easy.

Maybe he could get together with the guy from the magic sphere store, then share the house in Altenberg?

Furthermore we sell fish. But that's mostly for fun. I love fishing, but I usually bring way too many fish home with me.
I can imagine. I'm sure you've got a great view while fishing, what with the cliffside and all.
You're exactly right, son. Sadly there's nobody here that shares my passion. I'm always alone.
1) Well, I'd be interested... 2) Too bad.

Of course we're interested - it's not like there can be something bad coming from that (though it would be interesting if this could end up wasting your time or the like).

Really? That's great! We could have a little contest!
Umm... I don't think it would be all that exciting. I've got no experience in these things.
But that's not a problem! I'll give you one of my fishing rods - then you can already start practicing.

And we got a fishing rod! This'll come in handy for sure. And what about the news around town?

I just got home, so I didn't get to learn anything new just yet. But the atmosphere in town seems quite tense. Must be related to the heat, it's unusually humid for this time of year.

Yay, more foreboding. Now, what did he say about magic fruit?

Good day, sir. Please, take a look at my fruits.
Umm... sorry, dear, but I'm already taken!
You should get a more stable helmet, dear. She's talking about the stuff she's got hanging there!
I know! But that's too withered for my tastes!
I'm talking about the apples and pears!
Oh... that's the hanging stuff you're talking about...

Boob jokes! What, no references to melons?

Sadly, the assortment is kind of weak. But we'll take what we can get - though not yet.

Do you have bananas too?
Sadly, they're out. Just like the pineapples.

Right, now what's over here?

G'day all. You got something for me?
What?
You got something you want to get rid of? Hot goods? Any treasures you can't get rid of anywhere else?
Ah, I see... you're some sort of money changer...
You got it, pal.
Well, I've got nothing to exchange.

So here we've got a shady looking fence. That'll come in handy if we ever stole something, though I can't imagine that happening.

Aren't the little ones cute? So untainted and free of malice. Children are wonderful!
Don't be fooled, dear lady: Give one of those little brats a frog to play with...
...and you'll experience undreamt of dimensions of cruelty.
Don't judge the little ones too harshly. They're still children.
Exactly. There's still the chance of getting those ideas out of their heads before they grow up and become REALLY dangerous.

Ah, Malthur, ever the pragmatist.

Next up, we make our way to a farm off the beaten track.

Nobody's opening...

However, once again nobody's home.

There's something buried here!

But that won't stop us from digging something up!

Aha... a very intricately engraved vial. There's something written on it, too... "Gift from the Gods".

And there we go, we got ourselves one of the super badass healing items for free! Fantastic.

After that, let's go and check out this mansion people have been talking about...

We're not getting through here!

...or at least that's what we'd be doing if the gate wasn't locked. So that finishes up our tour of Königsberg, as we'll only head to the castle to talk to the Baron when we're sure we finished up everything else we can do beforehand. And we're not done yet...

That bottle... I bet that with my fishing rod I could...

And we go and fish the bottle out of the ocean! Let's see what's inside.

Dearest Natascha,

your father will never come back. I'm so sorry. You'll find everything I put aside for your future in our old hiding place in Klipping! May the Gracious Father direct the currents so that this letter may find you. My thoughts will always be with you.

DAD

:smith:

What happened? You look so serious...
Natascha... it's... it's because of your father...
What is it? Did you hear something from him? Is he not well?
We don't really know, but we found this message in a bottle. We think it's addressed to you.

My dad... I'll never see him again...
Probably not... but now you need to think of yourself and your education...
It's what your father would have wanted. Why else would the lead towards Klipping be there?
You should take a look at what he left in your hiding place for you.
I'll do that later... I really can't bring myself to go to Klipping right now...
Why not?
That's where that Iron-Skull Ebald hangs out... I know him from the Flying Fish, and he's constantly after me there.
I can understand why you wouldn't want to go there, then...
If you don't want to go, maybe we could go and look for you... you just have to tell us where the hiding spot is.
You'd do that for me? It's... it's in an old knothole in an old dead tree. It's right next to the place where the fish are sold.
Got it. We'll go and take a look then.

Alright, Klipping it is.

But on the way there, we run into Ronsen again.

Ah! My dear friends! You wouldn't believe how grateful I am! I finally have a new case! What am I saying? ONE new case? No, I got half a dozen new cases!
Why hello there! That happened rather quickly. How did you do it?
I just went out for a walk to get used to being amongst other people in these clothes. And right away loads of people wanted to talk to me and make use of my services!
When we get back home, we'll open a store, Libra... fashion advice or something like that... with your talents we'll be rich.

Well, that's nice. Moving on...

There's the knothole...
Then take a look and see what's inside...
Probably all sorts of creepy crawly things that'll bite my fingers!
Now don't be such a sissy, dear...

And we find this piece of paper.

Final log book entry

Finally we sighted land! Set course was: Three days in south direction, then 38 sea miles in the direction of the morning. With 10 knots of speed we then finally reached the pearl of the south!

An old log book entry? That couldn't have been a very caring father...
There has to be more to this...

Well, this is obviously some sort of clue. You could probably already figure this out, but let's get some more information.

Just this old log book entry... we don't know what to make of it.
Could you help us with this?
When I was little my dad used to play scavenger hunt with me a lot. There he'd always hide similar pieces of paper too. When you solve the riddle, you can find the next piece of paper.
Well that sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun...

Not that big of a help, though the riddle itself isn't too tough. Just filter out all the numbers and directions and there you go. 3 steps south; 38 steps east; 10 steps south. Go back to where you found the paper and follow those steps (carefully, those 38 steps can mess you up)...

...and there you go!

This must be it!

We dig it up.

By the gods! A whole bunch of jewellery, gold and gems! That must be worth a fortune!

Now, we have an "option" here, and I mean that in the loosest sense. We could bring this treasure to the fence, sell it for 20K bucks and keep the money. I call this an "option" because I guess you can technically do this, but holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with you if you even consider that. Not only are you a massive oval office for doing such, but it's a Bad Thing to boot. Not only that, but if for some reason you're dickish enough to go back to Natascha and tell her you didn't find anything (you're not given an option to give her the money, mostly because trading a treasure in with a fence guarantees you're only getting a fraction of what it's worth and you clearly only did it for a quick buck), it's a Double Bad Thing.

So we're going to do the right thing and bring the treasure back to Natascha.

Yes, we did! A whole bunch of gold and similar stuff! Here! You shouldn't have any problems for a while with that.
All of this is for me? But that's way too much! What am I supposed to do with all this money?
The best idea would be to bring it to a bank. It'll be safe there.

And that nets us some experience and the feeling of having done the right thing.

Now, there's one more thing we have to do, and it involves that story we heard from the dwarf earlier - the thing about the sunken treasure. We want that, and to get it we need the help of a master craftsman.

And for building poo poo, this is our guy.

Oh, you wait! I see in you eye. You look big thing that super special, I right?
What?
He wants to sell you something special, dear.
Here at Sach N. Macha you get what you want, no thing impossible is. Sach make for you what you wish.
1) What do you make? 2) I want to order something. 3) Tell me about the town.

Oh just exquisitest things after personal wish. Nothing is like same. Everything unique on world.
Yes, but what exactly? Weapons, armor, magic war machines?
Oh! None so terrible stuff! Be artist not butcher!
And what will this stuff cost?
Depend on thing you want to build. Every part you pay for. Further 1000 bucks for every part that Sach build in your thing.

I've heard that there's a lot of treasure to be had in the waters near the docks. Could you build me something that allows me to get that gold?
Nothing impossible for Sach N. Macha! You give me time, then I give you offer. You come back in say one hour?
Of course!

This pretty always been good city. But in recent it became bit weird, you must know.
"Weird"?
It start as next door owner of house died. Veeeery weird story. They found him very weird in box with stake through heart. Only his kitty with him that licked his wound. Since then more and more dark shadow over Königsberg. People quick angry and like, you see?
Only about half of it, but I think that'll be enough.

And as we leave...

This cat story is starting to worry me...
What's the big problem? A few cats going about the area - bad for the dog owners sure, but...
There's more behind that. A man is staked and his cat licks his blood. Why was he staked?
Well, it was probably one of those fangjobs.
I believe that's the case as well... do you happen to know the stories people tell about people that drank vampire blood?
That happens? Disgusting!
They say that they turn into so-called ghouls, will-less servants of the vampire that created them. Through the cursed blood they don't age and their powers increase dramatically. Now what would happen to a cat that drinks such blood?
I'm for postponing that question.
You're right, Grandy. Right now we've really got more important things to do.

Well, I for one disagree. Yes, yes, chasing Wahnfried is important, but if there's a monster cat going through Königsberg, that's a pretty big loving deal. Sadly, our heroes never think about telling the authorities (although they probably wouldn't believe them - no respect, no respect at all) or the baron. You'd think putting two and two together (killer cat + dogs disappearing = oh poo poo) wouldn't be that hard.

Anyway, we leave the map and come back, and Sach has an offer for us.

Ah, you come just right friend! I make you nice suit that fully tight that no water come in.
Sounds good. When can I get it?
Ah! That not so easy. I need stuff to make thing. You have to bring me stuff.
What do you need?
We need one big round hollow thing for head and lots of water-proof stuff for rest.

So we get a globe from Sheeva...

...and two wax jackets from the general store.

Ah! You have stuff that Sach can use?
We bought this weird round thing at Sheeva's. Could you use this?
Ah! That is globe! Wonderful thing from Sarabia! You will learn too.
We have this rain jacket. This seems to be pretty water-proof.
Ah! That not good thing, that off the rack, right? But Sach put tar over it and then good. But that not enough. You must bring second jacket of same kind.
Here's the second one.
Ah! Very good. Now Sach have lots of material for big suit. You come back in hour or so, then you can get new suit.

Leave the map and come back...

Ah! My dear friend! Sach finish everything. You can take with you!
Wonderful! What'll it cost?
Ah! I make you wonderful price! Three parts built in, that make 3000 bucks!
1) THAT MUCH? 2) No problem.

Bitching about the price will just cause Sach to become insulted and you end up missing out on some cash, so let's not do that.

Here you go!
Ah! Wonderful! Here you have suit. But you be careful, you only have limited air. When air out, you must open hatch in front and let fresh air in. Of course not under water.

And now we have our own diving suit!

I could try out my diving suit here, but there's so many things swimming down there. Plus, the water looks dirty!
Now don't play coy. The thing was expensive enough, and it has to pay off somehow.

And now we're ready to go diving.

It's pretty muggy in this suit. I can already tell the air won't last forever.
And those octopi seem hungry. I best stay away from them.
Well, I can already see the first chest over there. Ahoy - Grandy sets sail!

Welcome to the first of two minigames in Königsberg! In this game, the object is to bop around the ocean bed and find treasure chests filled with doubloons. The air level is your time limit, and bumping into the octopi takes away more air.

This game is actually pretty drat frustrating. There's plenty of poo poo situations you can get yourself into, especially since there's a cave at the end of the map where you need to maneuver without being able to see Grandy, which can take up ages. Plus, there's plenty of tight passages that can end up being blocked by fish (which just block your path) or octopi (that drain your time to boot), and you're reliant on their random movement to clear the way. I believe I spent about half an hour on this minigame, dying over and over again because I misjudged something. However, with copious savescumming...

...I managed to get the maximum amount together, 43400 doubloons. Now, what can we do with doubloons?

Well, we can trade them in.

G'day all. You got something for me?
We've got some doubloons...
Gold doubloons?
Exactly.
I suppose you got those from the docks...
Exactly.
I'll give you a buck for each doubloon.
What? The pure gold value per doubloon has to be at least three bucks!
As you wish. You can have your doubloons melted down if you can find somebody that will do that for you. I've got time... I don't know if you have it, though...

Spoilers: We can't find somebody to do that, so we trade the doubloons in for 43400 bucks. Not a bad haul, all things considered.

That'll be all for this time. Next time, we finally go visit the baron!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is 20k even all that much? For an average player I mean. Not for a dude who abused turtle time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Is 20k even all that much? For an average player I mean. Not for a dude who abused turtle time.

For an average player, 20K could be the difference between getting a full set of top-tier equipment or missing out on some better armor for our more squishy guys and gals (Tarius and Libra). Don't forget that an average player won't have the roided up superhumans I call my party. Back when I played the game normally, I recall scrounging for gold and for every piece of better equipment I could get, and gold opportunities in Königsberg have a hard cap, no chance to grind. The final battle is tough as gently caress, and you want every bit of an advantage you can get.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's some pretty amazing returns on the diving-suit investment.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

Wow, that's some pretty amazing returns on the diving-suit investment.

Which you apparently need save states to get all of :(

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Which you apparently need save states to get all of :(

Less savestating, more "get into the water, get a bit of gold, leave the water again, save game, repeat" because you never know when some dickass fish is going to get in your way and ruin a well-planned run.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Alright I think I figured it out- the Bad things you mention are the same bad things you could do at the fair in Chrono tigger, and will end up relevant in the same way.

That, or you fight a monster who counts bad things and powers up accordingly but that would be disappointing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update XXIIX - Yes, Non-Spooky Castles Exist

Now, to round off our tour of Königsberg, let's go and visit the baron to tell him all about our vampire problem but not about our killer cat problem.

The Königsberger castle is far and away the best-looking place in the entire game. Wonderful white walls, greenery in the interior, and overall, the entire design leaves the other castles in the dust as far as being visually appealing goes. Of course, when your competition is castles held by vampires and cultists, I guess it's not hard to be superior. Still, this place is spiffy.

Greetings, travellers. I'm Chief Draconis. The day is drawing to a close, and we just wanted to close the gates...
Sorry, sir, but we must urgently talk to the baron.
The baron normally doesn't receive any guests at this time. What's the matter?
Um... well... I don't know...
Calm down, Grandy. The times when we needed to keep everything secret are over.
You're right... I just still can't get used to it.

Not that Grandy had any real problems telling complete strangers everything (see also: Thar and Knurrgahn).

Secrecy? Could you please explain to me what your companion is talking about?
We just got here from Düsterburg. There we helped Duke Dankwart to regain his throne.
However, the dark Duke Wahnfried managed to escape, and we suspect that he's hiding in this city!
If what you're saying is true, then Baron Davidoff will surely listen to you immediately.
Where can we find the baron?
Right here in the main building. Just tell his advisor Grimor about it and he'll do the rest.

Sounds simple enough. Maybe this time we won't have to jump through a billion hoops just to get to talk to somebody in authority?

Now this is a pretty castle! Not at all dark-gothic like the others!

Yep, it sure is pretty. Just look at those flowers!

I am Grimor Schlangenzahn, advisor of Baron Serafin Davidoff von Schöppelbrunn! Tell me what you desire!

:eng101: Did I mention this guy's name means "Snaketooth"? Because his name means "Snaketooth". Yeah, this guy's legit.

My name is Grandy. We're here on behalf of Duke Dankwart and wish to speak with the baron.
Duke Dankwart? ... Don't tell me any stories, boy! The duke is dead!
He is not! He has regained his throne and sent us here with an important message for your sire!
But that can't be... wait here for a moment!

And he just meanders around for a bit.

Although your claim sounds... fairly... improbable to me, I will tell the baron of your story...
Come back tomorrow at noon, then the matter of your request will have been decided upon!
Tomorrow at noon? But it's most urgent! Furthermore, we're here on behalf of the duke, the baron is obligated to oblige him!
In no way! Through imperial decree, Baron Davidoff only answers to the Emperor himself!
What? Since when?
Ever since the usurper Wahnfried von Düsterbrocken came into power!
How many times do I have to repeat this? Wahnfried has been deposed! The old duke is back on the throne!
That must still be verified!
1) Alright, then we'll come back tomorrow! 2) Then we'll have to use force!

While attacking him might sound like a potentially viable solution, it's a Bad Thing. Let's just leave.

I can't believe it! Why does there always have to be some guard dog sitting in front of every rear end in a top hat we need to talk to?

This guy doesn't seem on the level. Let's go back to that guard captain, he seemed nice enough - and most importantly he seemed like he would have instantly let us to the baron, which we do like a lot.

That was fast! How did it go?
Not at all! Schlangenzahn refused to tell the baron!
Really? Is he still of sound mind? News like that needs to be delivered to the baron immediately! Sadly, you won't be able to get to the baron without going through Grimor. That snake has him twisted around his finger.
But we urgently have to talk to the baron! Wahnfried has taken a little child hostage!
A child?
Our daughter...
That's it! I'm helping you, even if it costs me my position!
But what can we do? That Schlangenzahn can't be convinced...
I find it suspicious that he completely goes against any reasonable behavior... and I doubt that the baron hired an idiot to be his advisor.
What do you mean?
I believe that Grimor was under orders to reject us...
Orders from Wahnfried?
Who else?
It should be pretty hard to prove that...
I'm sure he didn't do it just because he's such a nice guy. Maybe we can find some sort of clue in his private chambers...
You're talking about breaking and entering, aren't you? Well, that would definitely cost me my position.
If you don't help us, then you're making yourself an ally of that bloodsucker!
You have a smooth tongue, sir... but you're right! I'll lead you to Grimor's room. We have to get back into the main building. From there we can get to the quarters!

And now Draconis tags along with us. So let's get moving!

None may pass!
Out of the way, Kunibert, these guys are with me!

This brings us into the side corridor with surprisingly realistic looking paintings.

What? That character in this painting doesn't really look like a human being to me!
That's "art", dear! Not everybody gets it...

:allears:

Anyway, further down the corridor we find the right door.

Here we are. I suggest you head inside and look for clues while I keep watch outside.
We're deeply indebted to you!
You're welcome... I never could stand that snake! But now hurry!

And here we are in Grimor's room. We're officially on a time limit, and it's short, so we best hustle. The first thing we do is save our game in case we gently caress up.

The next thing we do is grab the axe. Not useful, but we can sell it for a few bucks, so that's nice. Next, we look through the armor:

Hey, that armor looks pretty good! However, it's pretty useless in practice...
Hey, there's a key in one of these pockets!

And we find an iron key. Next up is the red chest on the right side of the room.

Lots of gold! I had no idea that a position like that brings in so much money...

We steal 3000 bucks from the guy, not like he's going to be able to use it once we're done with him. And furthermore...

Wait a second, there's a key between the coins!

And that nets us a little key. A little key which I'm sure will fit into the smaller chest down there. But first...

What was that sound?
Somebody's coming!

Hello, Draconis. Well, you're almost off duty for today too, eh?

And he marches towards the door - somebody needs to act fast!

Umm... sir Schlangenzahn... I need to talk to you.
Can't that wait until tomorrow? I had a hard day and I'm tired...
No, it can't - it's very important!
What is it about?
Umm... well... about guard duty for the next few weeks...
GUARD DUTY? What the hell do I have to do with your guards?

Well, he could have thought of a better excuse beforehand, but he is giving us a bit more time. Just enough time to look through that chest, so it better be a good one...

Hey, there's a letter in here!
What's written in it?

Grimor,

it is time for me to remind you of the duties you owe me! You've been living comfortably off my money for quite some time now, now it's time for you to repay your debts! In the next few days, some people will come, wishing to talk to the baron because of me.

They can not under any circumstances be allowed to speak to the baron! Disappoint me and you will get to feel my wrath!

Wahnfried

P.S. Enclosed is a last payment for your services...

You know, it's not hard to burn that poo poo. Evil minion 101 right there. But that gives us the concrete proof we need...

...and it's just in time, as Grimor has had enough of Draconis' stalling tactics.

Go to the baron tomorrow with your obscure request! I for once do not want to hear anything about it anymore!

:eng101: No idea why Grimor uses "Herzog" here, which is the term I've been translating as "duke" all this time. I assume it's a slip in writing.

As you wish...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY CHAMBERS?
Your behavior back then seemed a bit suspicious... so we took the liberty of taking a look around your room...
Have you gone insane? I'll have you thrown into the deepest dungeons!

And yes, he will do that if you gently caress up, which is a game over.

Then call the guards. I'm sure they'll be interested in this letter we found in your belongings...

Did somebody call the guards?

:allears:

Ah, Chief Draconis! You're just in time to arrest this traitor! He's allied with Wahnfried.
THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS! YOU CAN NEVER PROVE THAT!
What, a sealed letter from the dark duke isn't proof enough?
I've heard enough for now... Grimor, I'm hereby arresting you under suspicion of high treason!

And with that, we're relocated to the throne room and the baron is coming down to talk to us. That was surprisingly easy, all things considered. Could have been much worse.

My lord, these are Grandy and his companions. They come on behalf of Duke Dankwart and wish to be heard!
I'm incredibly happy to hear that my dear friend Dankwart is still alive and back in his office. I'll hear you out, sir Grandy, don't you worry...
...but first I'd like to exchange a few words with my advisor!

There he is, the man that has been deceiving you for years! The man that sold out his lord and his soul to the dark duke! Grandy managed to find a letter from Duke Wahnfried in Grimor's quarters! It proves that Grimor has always been in his pay!
Grimor, what do you have to say to these accusations?
This is a conspiracy, sire! Don't trust these people! Perhaps they're working with Duke Wahnfried themselves...
I don't believe that, Grimor! Chief Draconis gave me a letter of reference, sealed by Duke Dankwart himself! And I know his handwriting like my own!
Then it's pointless to try and convince you, you won't believe me anyway. You'll remember my warning when the dark duke takes a bite out of your neck!
Chief, take this snake out of my sight!
Wait a second, your majesty! We'd like to question the traitor further!
I'll definitely allow you to do that, sir Grandy, but first, I wish for you to tell me the exact reason you're here. The chief has already told me what you told him, but I'm still not sure how exactly I can help you.
Of course, your eminence! We believe that Wahnfried is trying to leave the country by boat, and we have to stop that at all costs!
Because of that, we would ask you to interrupt all ship transit for now!
You're talking about an embargo. I hope that you understand that Königsberg is a trading city. We're reliant on the sea trade.
We know that, Reverend... but it would only be for a few days, just until we find Wahnfried...
Alright, sir Grandy. I'll give you four days. Anything more than that and the traders would probably have me personally dragged to the gallows.
Many thanks, your honor... we'll hurry!

Chief! Take a few men and make your way to the port posthaste! Prohibit any ship from leaving the port at all costs!
Yes, my lord!
Now you may question Grimor.

Umm... now, Grimor, listen good: 1) Where is Wahnfried? 2) Who brought you that letter? 3) CONFESS EVERYTHING!

Find it out yourself!

I bet you'd like to know, eh? Sorry, but I can't answer that.

Everything? No thanks... I'd like to lay down now, even if it's on a bed in prison... if I started to confess EVERYTHING, we'd surely still be here tomorrow morning...

Well, that was enlightening. Grandy's officially at the end of his wits - which makes his wits about a few centimeters long. Well, baby steps, I suppose.

Dankwart, why didn't you come with us? I simply don't understand these things!

Uh oh, I think Grandy got an idea. This can't be good.

Say, Malthur, doesn't this fall into your department? I mean, you could do that trick with that mind-thingy...
This trick, as you call it, means unspeakable pain for the victim, and is also quite unpleasant for me.
It's always so depressing to find out what kind of pitiful thoughts these humans fill their brains with...
1) Well, if you don't want to... 2) It has to be!

Oh come on, Malthur, you're the loving son of the Dark God, stop being such a pussy. The game agrees with me, as telling Malthur it has to be is a Good Thing. So let's do that.

We can't be considerate of whether it's pleasant for you or not, we need that information!
Yes... of course, you're right... please pardon me. My reaction was not fitting for the gravity of the current situation.

Malthur steps forward to Grimor and takes off his hood.

I'm giving you one last chance to give us the information we want.
Otherwise I'll have to subject you to a treatment that is quite unpleasant for both of us.
Do I look like I want to talk? Oh, I guess you can't see that - looks like something's wrong with your eyes.

:stare: Oh poo poo, that was the wrong thing to say.

So Malthur steps up and starts unleashing the Brainmelter.

WHAT IS HE DOING?
He's uniting his mind with Grimor's!
Umm... does that hurt?

A scream from Grimor answers that question...

...and eventually, he falls to the ground.

And?
He didn't know where Wahnfried is, either...
"Didn't know"? Is he...
Dead? Yes, your highness, he didn't survive.
He resisted me with all his might. Somewhere inside him there was still a bit of loyalty...
...sadly towards the wrong side!
And anything else? Could you maybe find something about Wahnfried's other lackeys?
Only very little... the letter was brought to him by a woman he very much desired...
However, I can't describe her because the picture in his mind was melded with all sorts of figures of his dirty fantasies.
So this didn't help at all?
Well, we saved the executioner some work.

Malthur puts his hood back on and the party converges again.

Oh, and one more thing, Grandy: You normally address a baron with "your highness", not "your eminence" or even "Reverend"...
Oh! Thanks for the instruction!
Not with "Massa" either, or even "Grand Mufti"...
Thanks, but I think I get the point!

Now that the main part is over and done with, let's start asking questions again.

How can I help you?
1) Tell us about your city. 2) Any recommendations? 3) Any rumors going around town?

After Duke Dankwart disappeared twenty years ago, Königsberg was declared an imperial city by Emperor Kuno. Because of that, a series of obligations disappeared, which benefited the trade. In a few years, Königsberg became one of the fastest growing trading cities of the entire known world. As for sciences, we've always been way ahead of the rest thanks to all our academies. This combination led to a series of discoveries having their start here in Königsberg. Take for instance the Königsberger cuckoo clock, rightly the pride of our city. Fifteen years ago it would have been impossible to build such a tiny clockwork - clocks had only been in church towers back then.

Your companion seems educated in the magical arts. I highly recommend taking a look at our mage academy. It's here on the castle grounds as well. An old relic of the times when mages were required for defensive purposes. Furthermore there are plenty of traders here with goods available that you could only dream of in other places.

Well, Grimor successfully kept me isolated from the outside world for quite some time now. I have to admit that I'm not up to speed regarding those things. Although you might know that Wahnfried already rampaged here twenty years ago. Back then, he lived in a grand villa - Düsterbrocken. West of the port you'll find Klipping. From there, a path leads to Düsterbrocken.

We already checked that out, though we couldn't get in. I suppose that'll be something for later.

Now, the baron mentioned the mage academy, so let's go check that out.

G'day, folks. I'm Notorius, and I'm stuck doing entrance duty this week. How can I help you?
1) Why do you have to stay on the entrance? 2) Tell us about the academy. 3) We want to learn...

Well, I'm enrolled here and the lecturers believe that you should already start taking responsibilities when you're studying.

:eng101: Now, the original text here refers to "Magister", plural. A "Magister", singular, is an old academic term that was still in use back when this game was made, but has become somewhat obsolete with the Bologna Process making headway in Germany, replacing the old Diplomand and Magister titles with the general Master of X title in use in other places. However, calling the people here "Masters of X" doesn't seem to hit the meaning of this specific usage, as this is certainly talking about the professors teaching at this academy as opposed to any guy that has a Masters degree. As such, I'm calling an audible here and using the term "lecturer" instead.

That's why we always get some sort of weird-rear end office where we get berated the moment something goes wrong.
You poor guy...
Good to see somebody that sympathizes with me.

This academy is called "Hall of the Three Paths", because this is the only mage academy where all three schools of magic are taught under the same roof. Because of that, spots at this academy are very coveted. You are only accepted here - given a certain skill level - if you can pay the incredibly high student fees... or if you take an incredibly tough admittance test.
I'm sure you passed the test!
Are you insane? I don't need that! My father is rich!

Sadly, you're too late for that. The deadlines for the next semester ran out two weeks ago.
Can't you make an exception? I'm no beginner, I just want to expand my knowledge.
Well, for advanced learners we have crash courses in the three disciplines. The admission fee is 5000 bucks.

It's very much worth that, let me tell you.

Excellent! Any further payments will be made to your teachers.
Further payments? Wasn't that enough?
I thought it was obvious that you'd have to pay for every spell separately. The teachers have to live as well, you know.

Alright, let's go check out the three teachers and their assortments of spells.

Greetings. I am Prospera Adelmi, lecturer of the White Hand. How can I help you?
1) What is the White Hand? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) We want to learn.

We have decided to use magic powers only to defend life. As such, you won't find a single spell in our ranks which can harm a living being.
That is except if the being is completely corrupted. Even then the effect is rather weak compared to other spells of element magic.

Our city is a city of knowledge and progress. Apart from our academy you can also find the university next to city hall. Small wonder that the arts of clockwork and printing were perfected here in the last twenty years.
We of the White Hand have made it our task to watch that all progress is made for the sake of improving life.

We only teach combat magic that can't harm living beings. Pick one.

So here's the assortment. To make it simple - these are Dankwart's attack spells in three different strengths. As we're basically going to be fighting nothing but dark creatures anyway, we buy the strongest variant of both spells. This is what I was talking about when I said Libra had better methods of dealing light damage.

Don't forget that with great power comes great responsibility.

Good day to you, young folks. I'm Natalja Nattelbeck, lecturer for the Green Thumb. How can I help you?
1) What is the Green Thumb? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) We want to learn.

The Green Thumb is an order of mages committed to using the power of nature for the benefit of mankind. Nature births life and forms it. We borrow a part of its endless power and use it for our spells. That way we can achieve healing in a way that school medicine can only dream of.

Königsberg is a blessed city. The climate is healthy and supports a cheerful attitude. The people here grow very old and very rarely get sick. But if somebody does get sick, there are we of the Green Thumb and of course the doctors of the university to treat the case.

You want to join the order of healers? That is an honorable goal, my children.

And here are Dankwart's healing spells. All very useful, everything bought.

I wish you a long life and peace.

Hellfire and brimstone! I am Pandora Paddelwein, lecturer for the Black Hand. I hope you have a good reason to disturb me while I'm working.
1) What is the Black Hand? 2) What do you know about Königsberg? 3) We want to learn.

The world is coined by chaos and decay. Only the strongest will survive, and we from the order of the Black Hand will belong to them! The creatures of darkness are not the real danger! The true enemy is the evil side that lives inside the heart of every creature. Therefore, our spells are made to achieve the best effect in combat, woman against woman!

The people here are complacent and soft. If we weren't watching over Königsberg, the city would have surely already fallen to the enemy! And Baron Davidoff further supports this idleness by only asking for few in taxes and otherwise pampers the populace in many ways as if they were his children!

The spells of the Black Hand will suck the marrow out of your enemy's bones!

No. No they won't. To put it short, the spells of the Black Hand are loving useless. To put it longer, the problem, as I've previously elaborated on, is that we're going to be facing almost nothing but creatures of the dark from now on, all of which are immune to black magic. Off the top of my head, I think there is one, loving one group of enemies where these spells might have some effect, and even those enemies are not weak to it, they're weak to other elemental spells! This is an absolute waste of money, and just like the magic spheres, they're designed to suck money from an unsuspecting player's pockets, which is probably the second-most tricky trap this chapter has (the trickiest one being the one where the Bad Things come into play). There are plenty of things you can spend money on, and a lot of them are useless, but the proper things you can spend money on are very useful. Furthermore, there is a limited supply of cash in Königsberg. If you run out and find out you need more cash to buy healing items with, well, guess what, you're SOL and JWF. poo poo outta luck and jolly well hosed.

As such, we buy nothing from here.

Always be careful. Trust no one!

Now we're going to go and buy the actually useful things that cost a lot of money. First of all, there's the equipment from Lars here, which is the best baseline equipment in the game, only eclipsed by special stuff like the two vampire murder swords. We pick up a whole bunch of gear for Grandy, and some armor for Libra and Tarius. Malthur doesn't get regular equipment, he can only use his own stuff.

By the way, take note of Libra's magic stat. It's going up.

We go to the magic fruit store and spend a lot of money on forty walnuts.

I then use twenty on Libra and start to get the idea of what I can do with all my money.

So then I buy thirty more...

...and use the entire pack of seventy on her. :getin:

Anyway, our experience with magic roids over, let's check if von Junzt is home. NOTE: There's two different people talking without pictures here, so one will be underlined, the other not.

Umm... hello?
Hello there little guy, we want to talk to your father... Wilhelm von Junzt.
That isn't possible right now.
Come on, Just, hurry up! The fuse is burning down!
I know! Well... Derleth, the butler, is making his shopping rounds right now, and where sir von Junzt is, nobody really knows.
I see. And when could I meet one of the two?
Come on! The thing is going to explode any moment now!
Umm... come back tomorrow! Somebody will be there for sure!

The sounds of somebody running across the room, then an explosion are heard.

What's going on in there?
The boys are playing around. You were that way too.
Oh, so you can remember that all of a sudden?

Well, now that we've exhausted all main story leads and I already did all the side quest stuff, it's time to call it a day.

Ah, guests! How nice, how nice! How can Aaron Senkelfried be of service to you?
We need a room.
Wonderful! For four, then? That'll be 80 bucks.
Here. We've got a long trip behind us and are incredibly tired.
The rooms are upstairs.

Well, this is a pretty nice room. My tired bones are crying for a soft bed!
What, you already want to go to sleep? But we just arrived!
What, did the trip here didn't make you tired at all?
Sure, but I've never been in a city this large, and there's so much here I've never seen before!
No way, pal! I'm dead tired and don't have any desire to have a night out on the town.
1) Well, I'd be down for a night out myself... 2) Then let him go out alone. 3) We should all go to sleep now!

Here, picking option 1) is a Bad Thing, and picking option 2) is a Good Thing, so let's go with the latter.

After all, he's had to go through plenty in the last few days!
And when push comes to shove, I don't want a nervous wreck on my side.
Oh my! Where'd you learn to argue like that, dear?
Looks like the time with Dankwart had its effects on me!
Alright, you convinced me.

Alright, you little troublemaker: Don't get too wild. Also, I want you to be back before midnight!

Midnight? Hell, that's when the fun just starts! Or maybe that's just me (currently writing this update at 3 AM).

Don't worry, I'll be careful!

Thanks, Grandy!

And Tarius leaves.

That was a wise decision, Grandy! The boy should have a bit of fun before he has to go to battle.
After all, nobody knows how this will end for him or for any one of us.

Well, that's a morbid thought to end it on, but that's exactly what we'll be doing. So, that was the first day in Königsberg, and we still have three to go! Plenty of adventure still awaits, and we still have to see Königsberg by night!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean I know he was a prick, but surely killing a man in front of a baron has some repercussions! And what's the difference between spell levels? Just power/MP cost?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Wait, letting Tarius wander the streets at night alone is a Good Thing?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Edward_Tohr posted:

He did spend most of his life shut away and kinda hosed up, and Konisburg is clearly a Good city from the way the mages were talking and how the Baron reacted to the name 'Dankwart' so I don't see the problem.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a very powerful and wicked vampire somewhere in the city who's holding a grudge against him and the rest of the party, so yeah, that could be a problem.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Plus the Case of the Dracula Kitty.

... God drat, I love that that's a thing in this game. :allears:

Cat-cula? Dracat?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So the world's not actually all that bad, Wahnfried is just that huge of a jerk?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A bit late, but I couldn't help but think of Böse when I read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

I mean I know he was a prick, but surely killing a man in front of a baron has some repercussions! And what's the difference between spell levels? Just power/MP cost?

Just spell power. As such, there's no reason not to crank it up apart from lacking the cash for upgrades, and really, you shouldn't be cheap here, because these spells are going to be Libra's bread and butter going forward, the healing especially.

Edward_Tohr posted:

That will be addressed very first thing the next day. Well, not by the game, but by me, because I have the magic ability to peer through the very matter the game consists of down to the DNA that forms it, allowing me to see every possible alternate reality. Read: I can open the game up in RPG Maker and see what would have happened had I not let him go.

wiegieman posted:

So the world's not actually all that bad, Wahnfried is just that huge of a jerk?

That pretty much sums it up. Wahnfried's so evil, it radiates throughout the entire area.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread