Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

When the local (county and state mostly) law enforcement decided they weren't getting enough money out of the burn, and stepped up enforcement to get those all-important out of town fines flowing. It's been a little ugly the last couple years as the population limits hit, and doesn't show much sign of easing off as long as people are still dumb enough to give them easy targets.

That really sucks. It was never that bad any of the times I went, and generally the cops were pretty loathe to write tickets actually because they just wanted to gawk at the ladies. They did make bank giving out speeding tickets on the way in though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
Well that was easy...

This will be my 4th year on the Playa! The Man burns in 185 days!

kerb
Dec 9, 2003

"Your order for BURNING MAN 2014 on 8/25 – 9/1 is confirmed"

New ticketing system seems to work a LOT better, this was very smooth and without any hiccups for me.

Now I just need to figure out if I'm actually going this year or if I'll sell this ticket off, I'm already going to Nest and Nowhere so.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005
I'm stuck in refresh mode :(

Edit: I hope there is some sort of queue

SuperEdit: ok got through. Woohoo!

kunoichi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 26, 2014

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

I'm stuck in the refresh loop too. I feel like every tick of the countdown is another 100 tickets disappearing.

E: Though I feel like it's a fate thing. If I get through it was meant to happen this year, if not, then another time.

Duke Jeffrie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 26, 2014

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I just got tickets in 6 minutes. Last year it was hours, 3 or so if I remember right. If you're in queue already I'd say your chances are almost for sure.

Edit* not even an hour later and all tickets are sold. Wow.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2014

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
I think I got tickets. Is there a delay in getting an email response? My old Ticketfly account wasn't working so I reapplied to a new one. It shows that I bought the tickets, but I still haven't received email confirmation.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
I got my ticket, woooo! I am really excited to go to the Playa for my first time this year. :)

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

Darryl Lict posted:

I think I got tickets. Is there a delay in getting an email response? My old Ticketfly account wasn't working so I reapplied to a new one. It shows that I bought the tickets, but I still haven't received email confirmation.

It may take a some time to come through, especially with the current server load. But as long as you have a conformation number, you've got the tickets.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Just got mine, horay!

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Got mine too, phew! Just in the nick of time too, it looks like. I had to keep trying to re-add the ticket because all remaining ones were in people's carts already.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Got a ticket and a car pass. See you guys on the playa :)

So excited. Hoping I can find a camp to play a DJ set or production at. Not going to hold my breath though... I just don't know anything about the different camps and where my sound would fit at. I have some friends who know lots of people that play at sound camps, but I'm not interested in playing electro or dnb / whatever on the playa.

I'll most likely be camping with Burning Sky.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 26, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Welp.

Burning Man Twitter posted:

Individual Sale tickets are sold out. There'll be more opportunities to get tix through STEP & the OMG Sale. http//tickets.burningman.com

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
poo poo, seems like this year was a hell of a lot smoother of a ride than the previous two. Congratulations to everyone who got them! Time to start panicking about playa lung I guess. Start your lung-purification prep now.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
So neither did I or anyone from my crew got tix. This should be interesting. If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Weaponized Cum posted:

So neither did I or anyone from my crew got tix. This should be interesting. If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...

If the new job I just did a second interview for works out, the massive raise will let me come back out to the dust. Going to have to go scouting for late season tickets if so. :D

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Glad to see virgins going! I might finally be able to lure one of my long time friends to go with me.

I will, if I get the time off. I've definitely good things about it from people who go to multiple regionals a year.

It is great, I go to a lot of regionals and it is probably my favorite.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Throwdown posted:

It is great, I go to a lot of regionals and it is probably my favorite.

I went to the one in Portland for Ranger training and it seemed pretty cool. I was only there for a few hours, but it had a very chill vibe too it. Not the total mayhem of the main event.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yeah the re-assurances that everyone will eventually get a ticket can get nauseating. I mean it is true, everyone who is yearning for a ticket will probably get one, but when you are booking a $1500 international flight in April you kind of NEED to know earlier than late July if you have a ticket.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Scalped tickets already showing up on stubhub for 2x+ the price. Vehicle passes starting at $280 LOL

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Swedish beer aerobics is back! After a four year hiatus we are finally returning home.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

gadgethugs posted:

Heard back from GPE so I'm getting kinda excited for that. Now back to wondering if tickets will have sold out by the time my flight lands tomorrow.

Welcome to the family. GPE is awesome and, by far, my favorite thing to do on Playa. The work is hard but the satisfaction of doing something really important with a fantastic crew is awesome. I'm zeBuns. Say hello!

mitztronic posted:

Got a ticket and a car pass. See you guys on the playa :)

So excited. Hoping I can find a camp to play a DJ set or production at. Not going to hold my breath though... I just don't know anything about the different camps and where my sound would fit at. I have some friends who know lots of people that play at sound camps, but I'm not interested in playing electro or dnb / whatever on the playa.

I'll most likely be camping with Burning Sky.

I know some camps have open decks, but honestly, DJs are really a dime a dozen out there... everyone wants to play a set somewhere. I'm sure you can find something if you put your ear to the ground, though. Welcome!

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

mitztronic posted:

My camp is planning to have a small DJ setup. You are welcome to come and play on it. We will be mostly chilling out in our dome, no big nightclub vibe/stage or anything.

Ask me closer the burn to confirm our sound system will exist :)

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

What is the OMG sale - just a second batch of tickets? I want to go but it was too early too commit, but if there's a bunch more tickets being released to the general public in July, that's cool. Or is the OMG sale for specific people only?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Get on the STEP right away. The OMG sale is a teeny tiny release of a final 1,000 tickets - I wouldn't bank on it.

If you get a ticket but aren't sure if you can go, you can definitely sell it again. I know this kind of thinking is probably what contributes to the overall panic situation around tickets but this is the advice I'd give.

Had a camp meeting the other night to bring The Flaming Merkin to Nest, the UK regional (in it's second year!) and Nowhere, the European regional which I am firmly in love with. I can't wait. Y'all gonnna love Burning Man but my regionals are so wicked, I can't get over it. Heading over for Paris Decompression in April too.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

But really, if you register for STEP asap you should be fine. I believe that in at least one previous year, everybody who registered for STEP after initially not getting a ticket eventually got a ticket through STEP. So you don't need to hope for a miracle.

Also, being in SF surrounded by burners (all through august you see people trying out their shade structure in the park by my house) means that I hear about extra tickets all the time in the month or two before the burn, so I'm happy to direct some towards people in the thread. Post about if you still need tickets closer to the event!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Weaponized Cum posted:

If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...
heh.
My partner in crime (aka wife) and I said that to each other sarcastically all the time during most times of need. It's funny, try it out.

Even funnier when it actually provides, man

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
HMMMM. I just saw this commercial on television featuring P-Diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtVOmhnw-k

Does anyone else read a Burning Man context into this as much as I do? Maybe Puffy was only at BM last year for market research purposes.

I was also reminded of this Taco Bell commercial from 2 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSU1tVoat1Y

gently caress co-opting culture.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Jaz posted:

My camp is planning to have a small DJ setup. You are welcome to come and play on it. We will be mostly chilling out in our dome, no big nightclub vibe/stage or anything.

Small nightclub vibes are certainly fun too. I would be super happy to play your tiny dome party out there if you'd let me. Especially if your camp is tired of house and angry dubstep.

I would also be happy to help fund part of your system if it would help you get one out there. Was considering buying a new setup for my camp (ours got moved to our art car!), but electronic music doesn't go over very well in my village, so it wouldn't really work for what I'd like to do. Might as well help somebody else with theirs, you know?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I have a BM account and waiting on info for the STEP program. Will also try doing the low income ticket thing, which opens this Tuesday.

All DJing interested dudes, my friends and I are building an art car which will also host a party lounge (it's gonna be pretty massive) and would of course love anyone to join. Once I have more info I'll let you know. This is what they did last year.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Weaponized Cum posted:

I have a BM account and waiting on info for the STEP program. Will also try doing the low income ticket thing, which opens this Tuesday.

All DJing interested dudes, my friends and I are building an art car which will also host a party lounge (it's gonna be pretty massive) and would of course love anyone to join. Once I have more info I'll let you know. This is what they did last year.

I'd REALLY like to DJ on an art car for a couple of hours at night. Sign me up plz :)

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm so down. Is that, uh, a rave owl mounted on your car? Or an adjacent car? God I love burning man

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'd really like to put some goon pics of Burning Man on the OP, of themselves or shots of random stuff, not necessarily gorgeous DSLR shiny pics, if anyone has any they want to share! I love the less polished, more real photos.

I have this to offer - it's our camp mid-party.

Anyone else?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
WOW! Just finished resting up from the weekend. Sacramento/Foothills burners just threw the Burnal Equinox celebration, and it was quite fantastic. It has grown from a one-room-and-parking lot mini-event into a full-on camp-out with two stages of music, dozens of theme camps, and FIRE! It was a fantastic time. I worked through most of the event, but we all know that "work" at Burning Man events isn't exactly work...

If any of you are looking for a great half-way point celebration next year, I advise you attend and have a blast. It was a great time, despite some county laws coming down on the event (no gifting of alcohol, unfortunately) and some rain.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Neris posted:

Anyone else?

Me and Carmen. Tutu tuesday 2013, probably? Fire. No barriers! Somehow the tutu is not on fire.

Edit: some more:

In 2013, the Sierra Nevada were on fire and the smoke blew into the desert and dimmed the sun.

Gigsville's Eye of Sauron + poofers.

hey there check out this stranger's picnic basket that has one single button inside, let's press it OH GOD IT MADE FIRE COME OUT OF THAT GNOME, HOW AM I NOT SURPRISED

I think this last one really captures the spontaneity and "what" and "whoa" of the burn.

Chouffe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 4, 2014

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

My travel partner in 2012 atop Pier 2.0. That thing was freakishly detailed. Were it not for the masthead flamethrowers at night you would swear there used to be water in BRC.

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!
Shot of the man burn. :) Just a point and shoot camera, set on the "candle light" setting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mandaryn fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 4, 2014

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Those of you not using SLR cameras, do you guys bring out disposable cameras for the Burn? Typically, I use my phone as my camera for everyday pictures, but after hearing about how playa dust gets everywhere and such, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea out there. (For the record, I don't plan on taking a picture of everything - I plan on being in the moment and having fun, but for those moments I'd like to capture, I'd like to have something practical.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Burning Man killed 2 of my digital cameras (happy snaps, not DSLRs). The dust really does get into the mechanisms and fouls it up. Dust managed to even get inside my camera and onto the sensor.

A camera phone is probably a better idea because it doesn't have any moving parts, but certain people may furrow their brows seeing phones being pulled out (even if they're used just for the camera).

The rule with cameras is the rule with almost anything you take to Burning Man - only take it if you're okay with it being destroyed.

• Locked thread