Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Yay! It's official. Just got this message today.

quote:

We are happy to announce the official intent response has been mailed out and we are on the list!!

HEY YAH!
Welcome to the 2014 Fire Conclave.

This year 43 groups have applied for perform in the 32 available spots within the Great Circle. At present this includes 14 small groups and 29 large groups.

We have 23 returning groups and returning Shins, as well as 12 new groups and new shins, and there are 8 returning groups with new Shins.

We are super stoked to work with everybody again, and we’re especially thrilled to welcome the new Shins to the fold. The new Handbook of Awesomeness can be found on the Fire Conclave Resource page http://tinyurl.com/2014-FC-Resource-Page

Without further ado --Welcome!

Aish Tamid ~ Brian
~ Returning Group, Returning Shin
~ Philadelphia, PA, USA
~ Unsure leaning towards a large group
I'
Aries Fire Collective ~ DanaBlaze
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Sebastopol, California, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Beyond Fire Tribe ~ PoppBear
~ Nevada City, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Burn Academy ~ Scorch
~ Returning Group
~ Long Beach, CA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Burning Sensation ~ Black Dragon
~ Returning Group, New Shin
~ OC/LA, California, United States
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Cascadian Fire Collective (CFC) ~ Pi-Trick
~ Eugene Oregon
~ Unsure leaning towards a small group

Church of Flaming Funk
~ Celeste
~ Alaska, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Circo del Fuego ~ Justine Xander
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Primarily, Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A. California, U.S.A., and International.

Controlled Burn ~ Erika
~ Reno, Nevada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Empire Fire Collective ~ Brian
~ New York, New York, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Empyre ~ WendyT
~ San Diego, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Fire Muse Circus ~ Adriane
~ Salt Lake City, UT, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Flameology ~ Spark
~ Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Florida Fire Collective ~ Kevin Daniels
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Flow Templars ~ Quidam
~ Los Angeles, CA, USA

Garnish ~ Michael
~ Philadelphia, Portland, Bay Area
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Hawaii Fire Artists ~ FIRESOUP
~ oahu,big island ,kauai,maui.. Hawaii
~ Large group - 20 to 50

HoT CoCo ~ Crush
~ Denver Area, Colorado, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Incineration Congregation ~ Alicia
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Boston, MA, USA

Kenna Tribe ~ Felix The Fire Cat
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Los Angeles, California
~ Small Group 10 to 25

KOI ~ Hex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Cincinnati, OH, USA

LA Fire Brigade ~ Jenn
~ Los Angeles, CA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Luminesque ~ Joey
~ Ukiah California
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Lumininjas ~ Luna
~ chico ca

Ministry of Flow Fire Collective ~ Britt Dawg
~ San Francisco, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Minneapolis Fire Collective ~ Fire Mama
~ Minneapolis, MN, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

MythMaker ~ Hjeron O'Sidhe
~ Vancouver BC Canada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Nero's Orchestra ~ Arashi
~ Oakland, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Nocturnal Sunshine ~ Tica Bonita
~ Santa Cruz, ca USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

NW Fire Conclave ~ Kyle
~ Seattle, WA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Oregon Fire Conclave ~ Jpeace Love Circus
~ Portland, Or, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Pyro Sagas ~ Rex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Las Vegas, NV, USA

PyroKlectic ~ Jana Banana
~ Phoenix, Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, AZ- Las Cruces, NM- El Paso,TX- San Francisco, CA- Marina Del Rey, CA- New York, NY
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Pyromance ~ Brit Says
~ New Group, New Shin
~ St. Louis, MO, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Pyrophylactics ~ Warren
~ Returning Group, New Group, New Shin
~ Ventura, CA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Radiant Heat ~ Natalie
~ Vancouver, BC, Canada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Revolutionary Motion ~ Drex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Washington, DC, USA

Rocky Mountain Fire Forged
~ Houston
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Denver, Colorado

Surreal Fire ~ Moth
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Sacramento, CA, USA

Tahoe Fire Dancers ~ Andrea
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Lake Tahoe, California, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

UK Fireworks Collective ~ Loz
~ Edinburgh, Scotland

Utah Fire Tribe ~ Rio
~ Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Vulcan ~ Krissy
~ Oakland, Ca
~ Large group - 20 to 50
super excited...

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Shot from the finale of a fireworks show back in 2011. Still shocked that my crappy camera survived and managed to take this picture.

Tossing in a picture of the temple that year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 4, 2014

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

BathroomTile posted:

Those of you not using SLR cameras, do you guys bring out disposable cameras for the Burn? Typically, I use my phone as my camera for everyday pictures, but after hearing about how playa dust gets everywhere and such, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea out there. (For the record, I don't plan on taking a picture of everything - I plan on being in the moment and having fun, but for those moments I'd like to capture, I'd like to have something practical.)

I took waterproof disposable cameras one year. Also a GoPro both years. GoPro can take a beating, and its easy to use while drunk. And can take video. The shot I posted above was from a GP Hero 2. The disposables were cute, but poor performance in dusk and not usable at night. And now film developing is getting harder to find.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

BathroomTile posted:

Those of you not using SLR cameras, do you guys bring out disposable cameras for the Burn?

If you have an iphone or other decent cameraphone, I recommend it. Somebody mentioned lack of moving parts. That probably helps! And despite nearly never actually planning to do things, once in a while I do like to have a good map/event list, and that's way easier to use from my phone.

I just keep it in a pocket away from unnecessary dust. These are all iphone photos, and I don't think I cleaned my camera once. The auto HDR can be kinda weird, and night is kinda blurry, but I feel like it's going to be better than a disposable camera.

waitin for the whiteout to subside before continuing vehicle motion

while waiting, we played Eye of the Tiger so these people started working out to show off their fitness

our art car, the heavy metal tiki god

lol dawn

dawn got weird ("I'm saluting the sun! Salutations, sun!!")

skee ball

Try This One Easy Trick For Fixing A Bike With A Scarf Stuck In The Back Wheel

The Car B Que (griddle on front, grill in one back window, pizza oven opposite)

the burn

uh

temple burn

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Throwdown posted:

Yay! It's official. Just got this message today.

super excited...

Thanks for posting that info. I didnt know there were documents for conclave.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Chouffe and maybe Mitztronic, email me (sorry, don't have pm) so I can contact you closer to the burn about DJing :) We are planning our theme camp nights and thurs or friday will probably be our designated DJ night.

jaz at goatse dot cx (no joke)

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
I have very sensitive skin. Would I enjoy going to burning man?

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

JoeCool posted:

I have very sensitive skin. Would I enjoy going to burning man?

Probably depends how severe and how much you care. For me, I will happily (joyously?) endure or work around most things that don't send me to the med tent. So if I had severe respiratory issues, I would probably avoid burning man due to the dust.

I'm not sure what problems sensitive skin can result in, though.

If your problem is primarily sun, you will want a parasol (with a wrist strap haha) and lots of light white clothing and sunscreen to keep you both cool and not burning. Or bring a hexayurt/RV and just sleep all day (I know people who do this).

If you're worried about the dust being irritating, you could practice at home by having somebody toss a bunch of, uh, mud dust on you and then doing something awesome outside and seeing if you hate your life. Maybe you'll react more intensely to the playa dust though? I'd have to know more about your condition.

Personally, one of the joys of burning man is working around my weird comfort issues. I am rabidly opposed to letting dust touch my hands and fingertips because I'm crazy or something. So I spend a lot of time planning how to be comfortable despite that, because burning man is worth it for me. And then it becomes part of the fun! And you get to learn about alllll kinds of gloves. And always have extras for people who suddenly want to help you put up your tower but didn't bring any gloves. And invent weird stories to tell people who ask why they never see you with bare hands.

(PS everything is sharp and rusty out there, so everybody should always bring a pair of gloves because there will be a time you'll need them).

So if you're sun-sensitive and being in the sun is going to send you to the med tent, avoid! If it won't send you to the med tent, consider your personality and think back to times you had to hack your surroundings to make yourself comfortable. Was it fun? Are you able to ignore it by being outgoing and having fun?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If we're talking sun-sensitive, you've got all spring and summer to gradually get outside and try and get enough tan on to be somewhat resistant. However, if you're the type that dries out and cracks at the slightest hint of dry air, you're going to want to make plans to counter that. The playa dust will leech all the moisture out of you it can, especially your feet.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Sorry I should have elaborated I am very sun sensitive due to being a ginger. As for the dust I'm sure the alkalinity would irritate me somewhat. Is it common for people with allergies to have a reaction to the Playa dust?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I'm pale as snow with dry skin. I was fine - nowhere on earth makes you more likely to be diligent about suncream and moisturising than a dry hot dusty desert.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Even if it came down to you needing to be in the shade all the time, there's a lot going on during the night time, so that'd be okay :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Long pants, long sleeves, always wear a hat that covers the back of your neck. Think of traditional desert wear, you know, light fabrics and flowing garments.

Or just only come out at night. Like Alfajor says, there's a ton to do in BRC after dark.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
My friend went with eczema. Come to the desert armed with the relevant creams/lotions and you will be fine.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Oh and just throwing this out there. Our camp is currently looking for 4 tickets.

My prediction is STEP will open without announcement, to try and avoid it being swamped in the first 5 minutes.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Looks like my buddy and myself will be going to Burning Man this year! First time for either of us and no idea what we'll be in for, other than one crazy time. As of now, we're looking at a cross country road trip to and from the event. If anyone's got a checklist of things to take that would be appreciated, so we can get some idea of what we'll need to buy/borrow/steal.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2014

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Have you read the survival guide? Go do that first.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

If anyone's got a checklist of things to take that would be appreciated, so we can get some idea of what we'll need to buy/borrow/steal.

There's a section in the OP called "How do I prepare for a week in the desert?" that has what you're looking for.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

I know some camps have open decks, but honestly, DJs are really a dime a dozen out there... everyone wants to play a set somewhere. I'm sure you can find something if you put your ear to the ground, though. Welcome!

Yeah that is kinda what turned me off (to the soundcamp route). I'm not a dime a dozen DJ (not trying to sound full of myself or anything, I just have a very particular style that is uncommon if not completely unique). I have a lot of friends (and fans) going and I know they would kill to see me do a 3 hour trip hop set or something of the like, so that would be what I want to do. Honestly whats better than 3 hours of chilled out beats at 2pm when it's 100 degrees. Nothing. Pure bliss. (just add weed)

Jaz posted:

My camp is planning to have a small DJ setup. You are welcome to come and play on it. We will be mostly chilling out in our dome, no big nightclub vibe/stage or anything.

Ask me closer the burn to confirm our sound system will exist :)

Noted! Will be sure to PM you in a few months :)

Chilling out music is what I specialize in. It's what I want to play. I have no interest in doing a 10pm headliner/high energy type set, cause it's just not my style.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 11, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I have been wanting to do this for about 3 years now. I suspect it's too late to get in on it this year, but I am strongly considering just going gently caress it and making a solemn vow to go in 2015. My cousin is an artist with a huge plan for a display there, but I don't know if he'll ever get the thing done.

Anyways, I'm a MD/DC EMT and am wondering if it wouldn't add something for me to do event EMS work there. I don't drink/drug, but I don't mind being around it, and I'd really like to experience this thing in a sort of raw experiential sort of way, but I wonder if there's any way to make it cheaper/easier for myself by working some of it as an EMT or with an organization like the Zendo Project?

Alternatively that might make it harder or more disorienting if I'm coming into it fresh to be working as en EMT so if you think that would be the case, I'd like to hear that too.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
The rangers could use you but the medical people probably are going to be full of volunteers. I went(2011) to the med station and they were full of people. You probably would enjoy being a ranger more fyi.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

White Chocolate posted:

The rangers could use you but the medical people probably are going to be full of volunteers. I went(2011) to the med station and they were full of people. You probably would enjoy being a ranger more fyi.

FYI, one does not just decide to be a ranger and start working. You have to have gone to the burn at least 2 years, attend ranger training, pass an on-playa mentorship, and be approved before you can sign up for official ranger shifts. http://rangers.burningman.com/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

I have been wanting to do this for about 3 years now. I suspect it's too late to get in on it this year, but I am strongly considering just going gently caress it and making a solemn vow to go in 2015. My cousin is an artist with a huge plan for a display there, but I don't know if he'll ever get the thing done.

Anyways, I'm a MD/DC EMT and am wondering if it wouldn't add something for me to do event EMS work there. I don't drink/drug, but I don't mind being around it, and I'd really like to experience this thing in a sort of raw experiential sort of way, but I wonder if there's any way to make it cheaper/easier for myself by working some of it as an EMT or with an organization like the Zendo Project?

Alternatively that might make it harder or more disorienting if I'm coming into it fresh to be working as en EMT so if you think that would be the case, I'd like to hear that too.

You're way not too late for this year. Despite the event selling out every year, tickets will start showing up for sale in June-July as people who thought they'd be going in December discover that life has other plans for them. However, if you'd prefer the greater lead time to let you organize better, more power to you. I'm not going out this year myself thanks to a new job, but planning for next year already.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

You're way not too late for this year. Despite the event selling out every year, tickets will start showing up for sale in June-July as people who thought they'd be going in December discover that life has other plans for them. However, if you'd prefer the greater lead time to let you organize better, more power to you. I'm not going out this year myself thanks to a new job, but planning for next year already.

White Chocolate posted:

Between these two I went ahead and decided to fill out the volunteer application just to see what lands. I only applied to ESD. I'm also a firefighter, and having worked events before I know Fire/EMS is always good to have resource wise. Might as well throw my hat in there and see if they'd like to use me, if not, we'll roll with it.

I don't think I'd want to do Ranger work as a first or even second timer anyways, but it does look like something I'd be interested in doing in the future if this becomes a Thing for me. If ESD is all filled up, that's a good thing, and if they want to put me to work, that's a good thing too.

Thanks for your answers!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I want to be this person. Next year :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Man. I was all registered for tickets and ready to go, and here I was thinking in the wrong timezone. What an idiot I am. I've never been, but I just finished college and got a job, and now I can afford to go for the first time ever. Just now found the thread: Should I buy the way way way expensive tickets on stubhub, or cross my fingers that I hear about STEP in time whenever that happens?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Definitely don't buy an overpriced ticket on stubhub. Tickets that are sold for over fave value can be voided. Just register for STEP when it opens and keep an eye out for tickets. Plan like you're going and you already have a ticket because they're easy to find close to the event.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Smeed posted:

Definitely don't buy an overpriced ticket on stubhub. Tickets that are sold for over fave value can be voided. Just register for STEP when it opens and keep an eye out for tickets. Plan like you're going and you already have a ticket because they're easy to find close to the event.

Got it. I didn't know about them voiding tickets which are overpriced, so thanks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SolTerrasa posted:

Got it. I didn't know about them voiding tickets which are overpriced, so thanks.

The Org hates scalpers with a passion, because they're the opposite of the spirit of the event.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This year's theme just has me so stoked to be a first-timer. The more I research about the theme and the event, the more I can't wait. I haven't been this excited in a long time. I'm scouring the internet trying to find practical clothing that also fits somewhat with the theme of the silk road caravans. I've been looking a lot into like WW II era type garments but I'm not 100% sure yet.

e: maybe something more Indian or Persian themed, I don't know. Anyone have resources to buy these types of things online?

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2014

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

IceLicker posted:

e: maybe something more Indian or Persian themed, I don't know. Anyone have resources to buy these types of things online?

Try Etsy! I found some sweet stuff there, but I'm going to keep them to myself so no one copies my style :unsmigghh:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Smeed posted:

Plan like you're going and you already have a ticket because they're easy to find close to the event.

Pretty much what my seasoned veteran friends said. Just buy everything and pretend you're there! You'll find a ticket. I don't have one, yet, but at least our art car is looking nice!

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
Man, I had some friends go to the burn. After reading this all I want to do is go. I can't find any tickets anywhere :(.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

How serious are you about going? If you jump in, jump in, you can actually do it as it's months away. Just get on the STEP when it opens - it's way too early for people to be reselling generally speaking right now - and commit yourself to attending and this time next year you can't be saying "gently caress, i actually did it"

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

Pretty much what my seasoned veteran friends said. Just buy everything and pretend you're there! You'll find a ticket. I don't have one, yet, but at least our art car is looking nice!

Haven't got mine yet either, but I'm taking your advice to heart and I'm gonna start working on my EL wire art project and my drink mixing robot. If I don't get a ticket, gently caress it, I've still got some EL wire and a drink mixing robot!

Speaking of drink mixing, I'm told that bar standards are pretty unique out there; do I need to worry about anything in particular if I plan on giving people alcohol? Can people who can't legally drink even go? Does anyone care about what's legal anyway?

Also, are people going to be annoyed at me if I serve mixed drinks that aren't margaritas made of tang mix?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

People, me included, will drink anything that has alcohol in it. It's pretty much assumed that half of any drink served is playa dust, as it's unavoidable.

Many minors go to the event and every years many bars get a ticket for serving alcohol to a minor. Usually cops only target the big visible theme camp bars, but if you want to be safe you should card people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My go-to on the Playa is generally the gin and gatorade.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm definitely going to be attending this. Just reading some of these replies makes me extremely jealous that I'm not going to be able to go this year.

mitztronic posted:

I want to be this person. Next year :)

Wow, that's amazing.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
Just searched Burning Man pics on Google and found some super interesting things:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Wife and I are attending this year, first time. We have been hoping to go for a couple of years so I took the time to watch the email list and make sure to get tickets. Ended up with 2 tickets and a vehicle pass without issue. BM looks like its going to be a bit outside of our cultural comfort zone but we like to push our personal boundaries so this should be a good experience.

We are looking for some people to ride-share with from Fort Collins, CO if anyone here is interested. We are towing out a decent sized camper and have space in the truck additional for gear/people.

• Locked thread