Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

bj2001holt posted:

We are looking for some people to ride-share with from Fort Collins, CO if anyone here is interested. We are towing out a decent sized camper and have space in the truck additional for gear/people.

There are lots of burners that travel from CO, you should have no problems finding someone that wants to ride with 2 virgins.

My camp's first meeting is tonight. I doubt we'll commit to making 300 gallons of beer again, but we'll probably make at least 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

Alfajor posted:

My camp's first meeting is tonight. I doubt we'll commit to making 300 gallons of beer again, but we'll probably make at least 50.

In my experience, it usually goes like this:

"Okay, we are never doing X again. Let's do 1/4 of x."

"Well... how about 1/2 of x?"

"Okay, 4 times more x it is."

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

bj2001holt posted:

Wife and I are attending this year, first time. We have been hoping to go for a couple of years so I took the time to watch the email list and make sure to get tickets. Ended up with 2 tickets and a vehicle pass without issue. BM looks like its going to be a bit outside of our cultural comfort zone but we like to push our personal boundaries so this should be a good experience.

We are looking for some people to ride-share with from Fort Collins, CO if anyone here is interested. We are towing out a decent sized camper and have space in the truck additional for gear/people.

When I get my STEP ticket, yeah. I'll drive up from Denver and hitch in with you.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

OniKun posted:

In my experience, it usually goes like this:

"Okay, we are never doing X again. Let's do 1/4 of x."

"Well... how about 1/2 of x?"

"Okay, 4 times more x it is."

Pretty much. We are bringing a bar to the UK regional, instead now it is actually *two* bars with an additional room and the whole thing is happening in 1.5 months and nothing is done. Bring on the fun!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Wow, this is surprising. The latest Burning Man newsletter has a photo at the top that's incredibly similar to one I took, and posted earlier in this thread. The one in the newsletter was taken by some guy Mark Petersen, and it's a lot higher quality than mine, but it's pretty interesting to see how similar the photos are. We must have been standing no more than a hundred feet away from each other, snapped the photo almost at the exact same time, and with almost the same framing.

Mine

Mark Petersen's

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to get back there. STEP opens on the 15 for anyone looking for a ticket.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Finally a viable burn in the NY region.
the facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/portalburn/
The NY regional person just blasted it out. Of course I want to do this with all my bros.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

White Chocolate posted:

The NY regional person just blasted it out. Of course I want to do this with all my bros.

I'm only about 2 hours from there in the REAL upstate New York. I just requested to join the FB group so hopefully, I can make it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

IceLicker posted:

I'm only about 2 hours from there in the REAL upstate New York. I just requested to join the FB group so hopefully, I can make it.

Everything north of the bronx is the "real" upstate.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Payday & Burning Man tix? gently caress yes! We're very close to hitting our funding goal for the massive Bixi we're building, it's going to be some next level poo poo guys, can't wait to invite you to check it out!

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I am working on all of my packing for my regional burn (Kentucky's Reclaimation) I am going in with another burner to have a coffee shop theme camp. I think that we may bring some hookahs as well. I so so excited for this years burn! I was not able to go last year as it fell on the same weekend as my college graduation.
I need some burner help though. We need a name for the camp. We will have coffee and teas available as well as a place to sit and smoke.

SuzieMcAwesome fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 8, 2014

gimme the lute
Aug 8, 2008

Dancing through the AL East

White Chocolate posted:

Is there a non-facebook site for this?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

gimme the lute posted:

Is there a non-facebook site for this?

If there is I have not found it yet. I am going to look at the group and check.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

quote:

Congratulations ********!

Dear ********,

Congratulations, you’ve been awarded a Low Income Ticket to Burning Man 2014: Caravansary!

Looks like my ticket is secured!

I was curious about something and I am not sure if I read it here. I am thinking of flying out and getting supplies there and packing out may be an issue. There is a company that I vaguely remember that rents whole camping packages for the playa including a tent, shade structure, food supplies etc. This seems like the most viable option but I cannot for the life of me find the link. Does anyone have any idea of what I am talking about?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

About five people from my crew got low income tickets. I didn't apply but set the money aside months ago. Exciting times!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
psyched for all you lucky devils that get to make it out to he playa this year!

I can't make burning man but perhaps I'll see some of you other beautiful individuals at Alchemy, Transformus or one of the other burns I'll be at on the east coast

TAKE CARE TAKE CARE TAKE CARE

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

psyched for all you lucky devils that get to make it out to he playa this year!

I can't make burning man but perhaps I'll see some of you other beautiful individuals at Alchemy, Transformus or one of the other burns I'll be at on the east coast

TAKE CARE TAKE CARE TAKE CARE

I will be at Transformus, also, my regional is in 10 days. http://www.floridaafterburn.net/

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Throwdown posted:

I will be at Transformus, also, my regional is in 10 days. http://www.floridaafterburn.net/

We briefly considered going to afterburn. We will be in south Florida at that time for our honeymoon, but lugging all of our burn crap on a 2 week honeymoon is a bit extreme!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

We briefly considered going to afterburn. We will be in south Florida at that time for our honeymoon, but lugging all of our burn crap on a 2 week honeymoon is a bit extreme!

Preheat is the one coming up in a week and a half or so, Afterburn is in November. You def consider coming to either one, they are smaller but pretty drat awesome. My theme camp this year which is Center Kamp Tavern combined with Beer Camp to make a drunken village, should be pretty great.

Edit: Just realized how busy I am going to be this year with burns, I don't think I am going to get a chance to decompress!

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

Throwdown posted:

Oooo I will be going as well. See you there! I will be camping with Hookah Lounge.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Oooo I will be going as well. See you there! I will be camping with Hookah Lounge.

No poo poo? Are you on the Florida burns FB group? This is Nemo.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

Throwdown posted:

Yes I'm a member there but have never posted. Name is Christa. Interestingly enough, somehow you met/interacted with my roommate at afterburn last year, because you are friends on FB.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Yes I'm a member there but have never posted. Name is Christa. Interestingly enough, somehow you met/interacted with my roommate at afterburn last year, because you are friends on FB.

Really? Last Afterburn is somewhat of a blur. Who is your roommate? If you don't want to post here than I have PM's.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Throwdown posted:

Preheat is the one coming up in a week and a half or so, Afterburn is in November. You def consider coming to either one, they are smaller but pretty drat awesome.

We will be in Florida for our honeymoon (Driving down from Kentucky) from Oct 23- Nov 3. That is just a WHOLE lot of poo poo to haul down and store for 2 weeks until the burn.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Our art car has been fully funded! We raised $15,000 through Kickstarter. I want to share the project with you guys, so you can see exactly how it's going to look and how we will be able to host upwards to 25 people on the deck. You can check it out here.

I will be more than happy to host all/any of you and party the week away.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That's loving awesome. I didn't even know tomato harvesters were a thing.
Can I claim a spot to watch the man burn from it now? :)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Congratulations on making your funding goal - looks like a cool project and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the playa.

One thing I'm still not sure of is what seems to be the "best" thing to wear. I'll have a couple costumes, but I'm more concerned about the other stuff to wear. More specifically, I'm worried about getting sunburns all over. Is it a good idea to just go for something with long sleeves and very breathable or just load on sunscreen with a light tee?
e: Another one of my concerns is hygiene. My friend and I going to be roadtripping there, so I don't really know how much grey water we can handle.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

One thing I'm still not sure of is what seems to be the "best" thing to wear.

You have to adjust for your regular outdoors exposure habits. If you rarely stay out in the sunlight for hours on end, then it's best to be safe and get sleeves and very breathable, in light colors.

As for hygiene, easy ways to prevent grey water while still keeping clean are no-rinse soaps and disposable moist towels (which you still need to haul out).

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

In my experience, there is room for grey water in gallon sized water jugs after you drink the water first.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby

Weaponized Cum posted:

Our art car has been fully funded!

Congratulations on getting funding! It looks amazing! I would love to play a glitch or house set on that thing!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Turtle Blogger posted:

In my experience, there is room for grey water in gallon sized water jugs after you drink the water first.

One trick I often used was to make sure your beer/alcohol cooler has a spigot at the bottom. About once a day there should be enough melted ice in there that you can plop it on top of your car, lay out an evap pool, and pop the spigot for a quick (very brisk) shower.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I really hope someone builds a big-scale version of this "Rubens' Tube": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awbKQ2DLRE

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

HappyHelmet posted:

One trick I often used was to make sure your beer/alcohol cooler has a spigot at the bottom. About once a day there should be enough melted ice in there that you can plop it on top of your car, lay out an evap pool, and pop the spigot for a quick (very brisk) shower.

Last year i started soaking my bandana with that water and found that having a cold, wet bandana around ny neck stopped me from sweating or feeling hot immediately. Try it out!

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

Our art car has been fully funded! We raised $15,000 through Kickstarter. I want to share the project with you guys, so you can see exactly how it's going to look and how we will be able to host upwards to 25 people on the deck. You can check it out here.

I will be more than happy to host all/any of you and party the week away.

Glad there's a little more time on the kickstarter! How far outside the city are you building it? Or are you building it in SF? I'm sure you've got plenty of motivated folks at hand, but if you ever need an extra grunt some day, I'm in SF and have very good gloves.

This looks absolutely ridiculously stunning. The shell-dome is brilliant. The steps along the sides to maximize carrying potential (and ease of boarding) are great. Though you'll probably need to be vigilant about people hopping on and off.

Your choice of base vehicle is so good, too. Vehicles meant to go slow and move large weights probably work much more naturally as art cars than cars meant to go highway speeds. I'm gonna try to bring some little tomatoes out there because I think it would be extremely appropriate to feed them to folks on your car. Probably won't last past Tuesday though so I better find you early!

Also I'd be so excited to play on it for like an hour or so sometime, like you mentioned before! Just yesterday I finished putting together my very tiny and mobile "I don't mind if this all dies in the desert" set of DJ equipment so as long as you have a spare input in your mixer and a power outlet I'm good to go.

edit: just fyi having a playa cherry tomato has become my new fantasy, I can't stop thinking about it

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks for the kind words everyone. We are beyond excited as well. I am in Miami, my friends moved to SF last year. I'll be meeting them the week prior to BM then we're all driving together to the desert. It will be amazing.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. We are beyond excited as well. I am in Miami, my friends moved to SF last year. I'll be meeting them the week prior to BM then we're all driving together to the desert. It will be amazing.

If you're in Miami you should come up next week for a regional in Lakeland.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I forgot the STEP opened today at noon. I just registered, two hours after it opened. From previous years, does anybody know if this means I'm a million places down the queue, or if I have a good shot at getting a ticket?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

stratdax posted:

I forgot the STEP opened today at noon. I just registered, two hours after it opened. From previous years, does anybody know if this means I'm a million places down the queue, or if I have a good shot at getting a ticket?

Same question, but 7 instead of 2. :/

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

First ten minutes sucked but I got my request in fairly quickly. Now to wait.

Throwdown posted:

If you're in Miami you should come up next week for a regional in Lakeland.

I looked into it, but I have some family staying at my place and I can't ditch em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Throwdown posted:

I didn't expect there to be so many goons at PreHeat.

Last year at Afterburn I brought Tequila for the tavern, and this time around I'm bringing whiskey.

• Locked thread