Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I got a response from ESD, if I can provide my own turnout gear I might be able to go as a firefighter. Time to try to track down some turnout gear that doesn't belong to my county for cheap somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yo! Our Colorado Regional event is in need of some BAMF volunteers. Mostly in need of actual medical personnel. Apogaea is a great time and has actually replaced the big burn for my husband and I. I figured if anyone here was a medical person and may be interested in going to the burn in the Mts this may be a good opportunity to do it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YjuCvXaJ-4uV8IZnxz2xCzpeJ31JsbsIO2uPJCscXWE/viewform

I keep thinking of checking out other regionals but I'm usually too busy working on stuff to really get it together.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic posted:

Honestly whats better than 3 hours of chilled out beats at 2pm when it's 100 degrees.

Speaking of:

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/chromatic-shift

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Yes I'm a member there but have never posted. Name is Christa. Interestingly enough, somehow you met/interacted with my roommate at afterburn last year, because you are friends on FB.

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT!!!!!

What an epic weekend. I hope you enjoyed yourself! I know I did.

RicochetD20 posted:

I didn't expect there to be so many goons at PreHeat.

Last year at Afterburn I brought Tequila for the tavern, and this time around I'm bringing whiskey.

I am pretty sure I killed all the tequila at Afterburn and PreHeat, I love bartending at Center Kamp Tavern.

Edit: 8:00am Sunday at our regional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caOEWOz3SR0

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 29, 2014

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Packing right now to leave for our regional burn!! It's burn season y'all!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

The Org hates scalpers with a passion, because they're the opposite of the spirit of the event.

I know this is from a while ago, but uh, if that's the case, their actions aren't really matching their intent very well. Voiding scalped tickets doesn't gently caress the scalpers over, it fucks the desperate people who buy scalped tickets over and basically gives the scalper money for nothing.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I know this is from a while ago, but uh, if that's the case, their actions aren't really matching their intent very well. Voiding scalped tickets doesn't gently caress the scalpers over, it fucks the desperate people who buy scalped tickets over and basically gives the scalper money for nothing.

I think the idea is that if it's widely known that scalped tickets get voided, this will discourage people from buying them, which will stick the scalpers with the tickets they bought, and if they bought them with no intent to use them, then they are stuck "holding the bag." Whether in reality it goes that far or not I guess is questionable.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for STEP, even though I registered two hours after it opened. Apparently some people are starting to get their tickets now so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Paramemetic posted:

I think the idea is that if it's widely known that scalped tickets get voided, this will discourage people from buying them, which will stick the scalpers with the tickets they bought, and if they bought them with no intent to use them, then they are stuck "holding the bag." Whether in reality it goes that far or not I guess is questionable.

Hit it right on the head. The goal is to make it unprofitable to scalp BM tickets by sticking the scalpers with useless paper, so scalpers won't bother in the future. Part of why they're trying to keep most of the 'spare' tickets inside the STEP program as well, because that way they have a name attached to them at all points and are more likely to go to someone who's going to attend instead of being scalped.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Does anyone plan on going to Critical Northwest in Washington this year? I'll be there and we could meet up for pancakes or something.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
How's everyone's planning going?

I've been hitting up fairly non-stop burner related events - I attended the UK regional burn in Wales which was 300 people, rain, farmland, tea, a river that someone put a picnic table in which worked really well, a bar, and a lot of crazy partying in the boom room. And the best actual chill out room of all time that I lost about 12 hours in. And additionally there were cabins you could pay extra for that were themed (we did margaritas again for the Flamin Merkin!) Indoorness/proper man made shelters + burning is quite a strange combo!

LOOK at this loving fairytale someone built!!! There were swings! And musical instruments! I got a trumpet lesson off a 40 year old welsh woman wearing a sexy nurse outfit! God it was loving gorgeous.

Next up is NOWHERE - the European regional, which is about 1000 ish people strong and really quite fabulous, full of English, French, Italian, Spanish, from all over Europe in the Spanish desert and takes extremely dearly after my heart. Honestly after I'd been to the big burn I didn't think that Nowhere was going to be that amazing but ahhh... it's the best.

I'm also mates with a lot of the people on the Nowhere board (in fact, all of them), along with being web co-lead and running a barrio/camp kitchen (30 people, send help) means i'm getting to see a LOT of the back end organisation mayhem that you normally don't see. And it's a lot. And a whole new appreciation for "how the gently caress are we going to sort out the toilets this year" and other problems that get resolved last minute.

The smaller the event, the more you can see how the work's gone into it.

Neris fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 9, 2014

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
You guys have inspired me. I actually was able to buy tickets in 2012 to BM but wasn't able to attend and sold them. Friends of mine have been trying to get me to the regional in Lakeland FL (hey FL goons) but I haven't taken them up on the offer. Next year I will. All my PTO is spoken for in 2014 but 2015 is doable for me.

LET'S DO THIS

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

People who are on the STEP: It looks like the STEP is still working through the people who registered in the first ten minutes. I'm going to start looking for a ticket and vehicle pass outside of the STEP. I missed winning a raffle draw for a free ticket by *this* much, too... kinda choked about that.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
There's an East Coast regional in Schuylkill Haven, PA this weekend called Freeform Arts Festival (http://freeform-festival.com/). I'll be there grilling up some burgers and DJing some music. Any other people going to be in attendance?

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

There's an East Coast regional in Schuylkill Haven, PA this weekend called Freeform Arts Festival (http://freeform-festival.com/). I'll be there grilling up some burgers and DJing some music. Any other people going to be in attendance?

I'll be there. This will be my second burn and I'm pretty excited about it. The first one was last fall's Playa Del Fuego, which was fun but also during a huge rainstorm in the middle of a muddy field.

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Whoops I somehow managed to volunteer to design our (15-person) camp's kitchen setup/rules this year so that it's not covered in people's random food, bullshit, and dirty dishes. Wondering if you folks have any advice!

We don't do communal meals, but we do like to share the same gas stove and a set of pots and pans and stuff. People usually make their simple meal for themselves and maybe another person or two, then clean their dishes (unless they're using burnable ones).

I think I'm looking for a solution that:
(1) - gives people some individual storage space in the kitchen so they can keep some things in there without taking up surface space that should be used for meal prep or cleanup
(2) - makes it easy to wash dishes and then get greywater out of the kitchen to the evap pool

For (1), I'm leaning towards making a couple of these playatech shelves that are very much like ikea expedits: http://www.playatech.com/index.php?deptName=03Bare%20Necessities&prodDesc=09Gear%20Gizmo but I'll need to find somebody with a table saw or something to help cut the plywood. (Side note: if you haven't seen playatech before, I suggest taking a look. They're simple designs for furniture that can often be cut from single plywood boards, packed flat, and then slotted together in seconds on-playa.)

Also my friend's camp has these badass cabinets that actually pack down to a small cube. But I haven't been able to track down blueprints. If anybody knows about these sorts of things, I'm interested.

Not sure what to do for (2). I think we've had a wash basin and air pressure sprayers for the past few years, but it's pretty minimal.

Does anybody have any expertise in this area that they could share? Kitchen storage/setup ideas would be great, but also if anybody has interesting approaches to playa kitchens or ideas on kitchen process/usage/guidelines/rules they'd like to share, I'd be really interested.

Thanks!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm doing Burning Man next year.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Anyone want to donate a Segway?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

goodness posted:

I'm doing Burning Man next year.

That's good. Next year will have been better two years from now.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Anyone want to donate a Segway?

Fight on?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Just left ranger training, what a great time. It is required for anyone who wants to ranger and I suggest it to everyone.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I've been making posts in eplaya, facebook ticket exchange groups, searching through Craigslist, been going to local fundraisers and events, and have been on the STEP since it opened, but no luck so far. I'm going to the local regional (Burn in the Forest), hopefully there will be some leads there. In the meantime, if anybody here is selling their ticket (+vehicle pass), I'd be all over that. My email is my username at hotmail.com

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have links to great Burning Man stories/writeups. Would love to read some detailed experiences for the whole fest.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Throwdown posted:

Just left ranger training, what a great time. It is required for anyone who wants to ranger and I suggest it to everyone.

Congrats! Some random tips if you go through with it:

- I highly recommend working perimeter during the Temple burning, it gave me a new perspective on it and it was really something special

- Try spending some time working all three shifts (morning/swing/night) if you can, that way you get to experience more of what it's like being a Ranger

- When it's time to partner up make sure you partner up with a veteran, it's a bit intimidating the first few times you go out

- I'm not sure if they still have the email feed, or if they finally moved Ranger chat to a forum, but make sure you sign up with whatever the current Ranger chat is. Lot's of info both before and after the event goes on there, and you get to feel like you have a backstage pass on all the BM dirt that happens

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

stratdax posted:

I've been making posts in eplaya, facebook ticket exchange groups, searching through Craigslist, been going to local fundraisers and events, and have been on the STEP since it opened, but no luck so far. I'm going to the local regional (Burn in the Forest), hopefully there will be some leads there. In the meantime, if anybody here is selling their ticket (+vehicle pass), I'd be all over that. My email is my username at hotmail.com

Everyone else is in the same boat. Don't worry too much. Make your plans, shell out the extra few bucks for cancelable plane tickets if you've gotta fly, just in case. It'll probably work out. People will notice with three weeks to go that they can't get off work in time, or they can't afford the trip, or whatever. Tickets will quite likely be available at face value a week or so beforehand. A guy I work with has got this elaborate computer model worked out based on historical data and he's pretty sure.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hell, I had to sell my own tickets two years ago that way, sudden family emergency right before BM.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

Everyone else is in the same boat. Don't worry too much. Make your plans, shell out the extra few bucks for cancelable plane tickets if you've gotta fly, just in case. It'll probably work out. People will notice with three weeks to go that they can't get off work in time, or they can't afford the trip, or whatever. Tickets will quite likely be available at face value a week or so beforehand. A guy I work with has got this elaborate computer model worked out based on historical data and he's pretty sure.

Well I found a ticket. Haven't bought it yet, just worried about being scammed somehow. Seems pretty airtight though: A guy on Craigslist is selling three tickets, but is willing to piece it out because I only need one. Says he has the physical ticket and a receipt from Ticketfly. So if the name on the receipt matches some ID he has, it's pretty much guaranteed to be legit, right? Unless he ordered his tickets, received his tickets, voided them for some reason, then is selling them on just to be a jerk...

What do y'all think.

Edit2: Wait unless he bought tickets, tried to scalp them, got busted, got voided, and is now trying to make back his cost. I'm overthinking this, aren't I.

Edit: Oh yeah he doesn't have a vehicle pass, which I need. After looking around at all the FAQs, I still don't get it. Are Vehicle Passes physical things? If I buy a ticket from this guy then a vehicle pass from somebody else later, do I still need to go to will-call to pick up my vehicle pass, or what?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 3, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

stratdax posted:

Says he has the physical ticket and a receipt from Ticketfly.
This sounds fishy. Keep looking.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

stratdax posted:

Edit: Oh yeah he doesn't have a vehicle pass, which I need. After looking around at all the FAQs, I still don't get it. Are Vehicle Passes physical things? If I buy a ticket from this guy then a vehicle pass from somebody else later, do I still need to go to will-call to pick up my vehicle pass, or what?

I've never been before, but have a ticket + car pass and my receipt says willcall. IDK if physical tickets were an option? Cant remember

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

mitztronic posted:

I've never been before, but have a ticket + car pass and my receipt says willcall. IDK if physical tickets were an option? Cant remember

Yeah they were an option. They're snazzy looking. I guess if I find a physical ticket I gotta also find a physical vehicle pass then. Oh well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The physical tickets are always awesome. I keep meaning to find some that didn't get used post-event and start framing them, because they're neat little pieces of art in themselves.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

So as far as an actual camp site goes, do they assign them at the gate or do you just cruise until you find one?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

So as far as an actual camp site goes, do they assign them at the gate or do you just cruise until you find one?

Depends. If your a pre-registered theme camp they will assign you a spot based on what sort of camp you are planning to be (with the exception of a couple camps which are sort-of grandfathered into certain spots). Your average participant has to go find a spot when they get there though, and it is first come first serve if you have a particular area you want to be in.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Technically any vacant camp site space is usable after the main gate opening. However it is polite to check with the neighbors first if anyone was intending to use that space. Theme camps with registered positions are supposed to arrive (by special permission) before the main gate opening to occupy their assigned space, but often they will not be there fully set up. The purple zones on the 2014 map are the areas pre-assigned to theme camps you can assume will be filled before you get there.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Big Sound Camp "White Ocean" posted in their facebook:

Whoa.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Whaaaatttttt

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
A quick Google suggests that Timur Sardarov is a rich-as-gently caress Russian entrepreneur, which would explain why he could afford to bring acts as big as that to the desert, and why he can announce it so early (most sound camps don't announce any line-up until a couple of weeks before the event because DJs who are forced to pay their own way to the event tend to become unusually flakey when they need to actually prepare to go)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Pepsi Presents: Burning Man!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

minato posted:

A quick Google suggests that Timur Sardarov is a rich-as-gently caress Russian entrepreneur, which would explain why he could afford to bring acts as big as that to the desert, and why he can announce it so early (most sound camps don't announce any line-up until a couple of weeks before the event because DJs who are forced to pay their own way to the event tend to become unusually flakey when they need to actually prepare to go)

So when did artists stop playing for free? Carl Cox spent $30k of his own money in 2010, for example, to play at BM.

Speaking of... I don't know if I'm going to end up playing at BM. I don't even know where to start and I'm not really interested in camping WITH a soundcamp, which makes me just one of a million people that want to play at BM so it's hard to stick out. I guess we're less than 2 months out so I'm starting all my prep. I know some goons said they would have a soundsystem up, so I'd be down to do that still. I need to rent a laptop w/ insurance somewhere and get it all set up. Much to do

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Hooray, placement going out. It's happening again!

Unplaced this year, aiming to be off of 7:00 and H. I did two years in the suburbs, and then one year on A street, and I forever want to return to the Suburbs. Bringing along a gang of virgins and a couple of veterans, we're planning on making cocktails and chilling.

• Locked thread