Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

mitztronic posted:

So when did artists stop playing for free? Carl Cox spent $30k of his own money in 2010, for example, to play at BM.
Oh they play for free, but they sure as hell don't all spend their own time & money procuring a ticket and getting out there, and when they do get there they expect some nice accommodations. Carl Cox and a few others like Christopher Lawrence and Seth Troxler are the exceptions as they're really into the BM vibe, they dress up and stay the whole week. But many of the super-famous DJs I've seen play at BM only stayed there a night or two.

I've talked with Fehrplay a few times about BM, he's really excited to come for the 2nd time this year but he can only stay 3 days because his schedule demands he be in NYC on the Friday before the burn. I guess it's hard to pass up making 5K+ a night to go party in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Placement happy dance! My camp got placed just down the street from some friends of mine. Unnngghh! Excited!

And also w00t White Ocean (ok it has corporate roots but hey I don't mind sleeping near where Sander Van Doorn is playing.) Note that Opulent Temple is back on their corner spot this year so that's a double win for the 10:00 side.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

Oh they play for free, but they sure as hell don't all spend their own time & money procuring a ticket and getting out there, and when they do get there they expect some nice accommodations. Carl Cox and a few others like Christopher Lawrence and Seth Troxler are the exceptions as they're really into the BM vibe, they dress up and stay the whole week. But many of the super-famous DJs I've seen play at BM only stayed there a night or two.

I've talked with Fehrplay a few times about BM, he's really excited to come for the 2nd time this year but he can only stay 3 days because his schedule demands he be in NYC on the Friday before the burn. I guess it's hard to pass up making 5K+ a night to go party in the desert.

Doesn't this sort of thing go against the spirit of the event? I guess there isn't much the organizers can really do about it if someone is willing to pay for these people to come, but it seems like a short step away from charging to see featured performers.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

HappyHelmet posted:

Depends. If your a pre-registered theme camp they will assign you a spot based on what sort of camp you are planning to be (with the exception of a couple camps which are sort-of grandfathered into certain spots). Your average participant has to go find a spot when they get there though, and it is first come first serve if you have a particular area you want to be in.

Thanks for the info, and thank you as well, Jaz.
I've been looking through the event listings and it's been tortuous. I can't believe how hyped up I am. I feel bad (sometimes) for rubbing it in to my coworkers.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
We got placed at 3:15 and A. In other words: :c00lbert:

Let the hype begin!

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

HappyHelmet posted:

Doesn't this sort of thing go against the spirit of the event? I guess there isn't much the organizers can really do about it if someone is willing to pay for these people to come, but it seems like a short step away from charging to see featured performers.

On the contrary, I think it's great that rich people will pay big $$$ to get great artistic talent out there, even if the artists themselves may be less "burnier-than-thou". I'm concerned that going to BM is becoming a bucketlist item for many people who have no intention of being anything other than a spectator, so I feel any effort to correct the balance and get more artists and other contributors out there is good.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

On the contrary, I think it's great that rich people will pay big $$$ to get great artistic talent out there, even if the artists themselves may be less "burnier-than-thou". I'm concerned that going to BM is becoming a bucketlist item for many people who have no intention of being anything other than a spectator, so I feel any effort to correct the balance and get more artists and other contributors out there is good.

That's a valid point that it helps bring in more art at the very least. Something about having artists just "pop in" for a day or two, and then bounce without actually caring about the event itself rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'm afraid BM will end up something more like a typical music festival than... well whatever it was when it started.

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

Now that tickets are arriving I figure it is a good time to say that I am looking for a ticket for my virgin brother. We will be there all week with lots of playa love for anyone can hook some brothers up :-)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for one too! But more importantly a parking pass. This ticket and parking pass system is such a load of poo poo.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
My camp got placed at 6:00 and K! Yaaayyyyyy! I'm so excited for my first burn. :) We're going to have performances and workshops, and I'll be sure to post that info here when we've got that finalized, in case any of you might be interested!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think the parking pass system may finally be what starts cutting down the tourist attendance a bit. Unfortunately also the virgin attendance. It's just not very practical for someone to haul out a week's worth of survival materials on a bus from Reno if they don't have a camp that they can arrange to have it shipped in with.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Burning Man is pretty commercialized, let's just enjoy it.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

Alfajor posted:

We got placed at 3:15 and A. In other words: :c00lbert:

Let the hype begin!

Always at 4:20 and A, see you there, neighbor!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is everyones experience with hexayurts? Worth it? I only need something small enough to sleep in, with emphasis on staying cool. Last year I stayed in an older RV and we barely ran the air conditioner so it was more of a shade structure than anything. By the end of the week I was a grumpy rear end in a top hat who wasn't having much fun because I couldn't sleep. Are they worth building over a tent? Dropping a couple hundred on materials sounds like a fair trade if it'll vastly improve my burn. I have also heard canvas tents are decent, I think my brother has a small military surplus one I could snag if thats the kind people are talking about.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Smeed posted:

What is everyones experience with hexayurts? Worth it? I only need something small enough to sleep in, with emphasis on staying cool. Last year I stayed in an older RV and we barely ran the air conditioner so it was more of a shade structure than anything. By the end of the week I was a grumpy rear end in a top hat who wasn't having much fun because I couldn't sleep. Are they worth building over a tent? Dropping a couple hundred on materials sounds like a fair trade if it'll vastly improve my burn. I have also heard canvas tents are decent, I think my brother has a small military surplus one I could snag if thats the kind people are talking about.

They are great in that they are relatively easy to setup, and pretty stable from what I've heard (never actually built one myself). If cost/time is a factor I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for you though, as it's still gonna get hot in there as soon as day breaks (I imagine anyway). If you don't mind the cost I'd say go for it though, I've always wanted to bring one out there myself.

A canvas tent would be great, but keep in mind the weight of the thing and how it's going to handle the wind. There's nothing worse than coming back to camp to find your tent toppled over, or the stitching torn out and a massive hole in it.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Smeed posted:

The Hexayurt worked amazingly well for me. I built a small one and loved it because it kept the dust out and was fun to build. I took my time and put a fair amount of effort into it, made sure everything fit well and used the 6" tape. Also it was like an oven in there so I used FIGJAM's design for the five gallon bucket evaporator cooler which made an enormous difference. I slept in it during the day with the cooler running and needed a blanket. I wouldn't build one without a way to cool it or at least get some airflow at night. Beware of fire, I read they're pretty flammable.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It sounds like I'd definitely want some type of cooling. I'm not sure if I'll be able to have stuff driven to the playa from here in CT or if I'll have to pick up most things except for clothes in Vegas. Building a yurt and swamp cooler on the playa or in the middle of vegas sounds like a stupid idea, I might have to settle on a monkey hut and tent. I'll have to do a bit more research.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Can't speak more good words about the hexayurt and swamp cooler combo. My partner and I had an H12 tricked out like a (very) small flat. Shelves, drawers, full sized futon. Also 120v AC provided by solar panels but I digress. Hey Booger what thickness boards did you use ? The first year we used our hexayurt (without a swamp cooler) the temperature was more or less bearable for naps any time of the day. The biggest benefit the swamp cooler brought was keeping a consistent temperature throughout the day with all the door opening / closing.

Unrelated to hexayurts; who else is doing GPE this year? I'm all signed up in their management system now I just need to figure out who to sleep with for a sweet perimiter shift.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

gadgethugs posted:

Can't speak more good words about the hexayurt and swamp cooler combo. My partner and I had an H12 tricked out like a (very) small flat. Shelves, drawers, full sized futon. Also 120v AC provided by solar panels but I digress. Hey Booger what thickness boards did you use ? The first year we used our hexayurt (without a swamp cooler) the temperature was more or less bearable for naps any time of the day. The biggest benefit the swamp cooler brought was keeping a consistent temperature throughout the day with all the door opening / closing.

Unrelated to hexayurts; who else is doing GPE this year? I'm all signed up in their management system now I just need to figure out who to sleep with for a sweet perimiter shift.

Perimeter fills up really fast. You just have to keep your eye out for one to open up and jump on it. It's kind of tough, and you'll probably do a midnight - 6am or 6am - noon shift for one.

I'm working something around seven shifts this year, I just recently signed up for all of my stuff and I'm totally excited.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

OniKun posted:

Perimeter fills up really fast. You just have to keep your eye out for one to open up and jump on it. It's kind of tough, and you'll probably do a midnight - 6am or 6am - noon shift for one.

I'm working something around seven shifts this year, I just recently signed up for all of my stuff and I'm totally excited.

Yeah turns out you can just sign up for this poo poo! Working 6am-Noon perimeter shift on first Monday. Then two gate shifts later in the week.

Gods I'm going to need to figure out what to do for vacation after this burn.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

gadgethugs posted:

Gadgethugs, I used the 1 1/2" panels then covered the whole thing with a canvas skirt to hold it down. Since it was so small that little bucket cooler was more than enough to cool it way down. The only issue I ran into was air-flow. I had sealed it so well that there was no exhaust for the cool air so I installed a little fan in the ceiling. Worked really well.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Well... It would seem that someone committed suicide at the Utah regional by running into the effigy. What a way to go... I'm heading to Transformus in two days and expect to hear people talking about this non stop.

http://burners.me/2014/07/14/burner-community-processes-its-greatest-tragedy/

OMG LOL BUTSEKZ
Dec 2, 2003

no butsekz plz.
I'm looking to join a camp is anyone in need of some extra hands? I promise not to be a shithead when tired & thirsty & hot

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just got back from my first burner event (disregarding parties and fundraisers in town, I mean). It was amazing and made me look forward to Burning Man all the more. Burn in the Forest, if anyone else was there. Things I learned: I need more supportive footwear, a nice bandana for dust, and I need far less booze than I thought I did. I brought home a lot of booze. I'm seriously considering not bringing ANY booze to Burning Man - it just makes things harder, worse, more complicated, and leads to miscommunications. I also need a better cooler solution. I'm now thinking of bringing a freezer cooler and a fridge cooler. Put dry ice in the freezer, and bring several ice packs and swap them back and forth from the fridge back to the freezer once a day so I can re-freeze them. Anybody see any obvious issues with this plan that I'm missing?

Also I found a ticket, now I just need a vehicle pass.

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

stratdax posted:

Put dry ice in the freezer, and bring several ice packs and swap them back and forth from the fridge back to the freezer once a day so I can re-freeze them. Anybody see any obvious issues with this plan that I'm missing?

Also I found a ticket, now I just need a vehicle pass.

Dry ice will eventually melt out there. Depending on the grade of your cooler and how often you wind up opening it (if you're pulling out other stuff from the freezer more often than the ice pack switch) it could be sooner rather than later. You just have to be super careful about it. :)

I just buy ice every couple of days and transfer it to ziplock baggies, and then I have nice cold water to drink too.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
Just got back from the Spanish Euroburn - Nowhere. Amaaaaazzing! Would hugely recommend to anyone interested in Burning Man who can't quite make it to Nevada, or who would like to experience a smaller event. Honestly the friendliest place I've ever been in my life. I miss it already and we've already started planning our own barrio for next year.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

jaymeekae posted:

Just got back from the Spanish Euroburn - Nowhere. Amaaaaazzing! Would hugely recommend to anyone interested in Burning Man who can't quite make it to Nevada, or who would like to experience a smaller event. Honestly the friendliest place I've ever been in my life. I miss it already and we've already started planning our own barrio for next year.

Everyone was there this year it seems! Why did I miss it? :(

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mandaryn posted:

I just buy ice every couple of days and transfer it to ziplock baggies, and then I have nice cold water to drink too.

I've heard a lot of people having good luck with this. I might give it a shot. You might be able to keep it frozen for longer if you've got your cooler off the ground and wrapped in a blanket. I imagine you could buy a block of dry ice, wrap in in a blanket or a couple towels and stick it in the bottom of your cooler. You'd lose a bunch of space but you'd have great insulation and you probably wouldnt have to worry about the food you place on top of it freezing solid.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
My friend last year used his cooler water for showering. That is, until a bottle of jalapeno vodka broke in the cooler without him noticing, and so he got to run screaming around the camp as his eyes burrrrrned.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

minato posted:

My friend last year used his cooler water for showering. That is, until a bottle of jalapeno vodka broke in the cooler without him noticing, and so he got to run screaming around the camp as his eyes burrrrrned.

Like, he put his cooler up on an elevated thingy, opened the drain spigot and stood under it?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
No, he drained the cooler water into a shower bag first.

The lesson from this is: always ziplock the stuff you put in your cooler, otherwise the melted ice gets contaminated with things like soggy beer labels and cardboard, a taste of plastic, and in my friend's case, jalapeno pepper water.

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

Smeed posted:

You might be able to keep it frozen for longer if you've got your cooler off the ground and wrapped in a blanket. I imagine you could buy a block of dry ice, wrap in in a blanket or a couple towels and stick it in the bottom of your cooler. You'd lose a bunch of space but you'd have great insulation and you probably wouldnt have to worry about the food you place on top of it freezing solid.

I may try this this year. I kept it on those 1/2 inch interlocking foam thingys in my tent and that seemed to help rather than putting it directly on the ground. I added some reflective/insinuative bubble wrap stuff on the inside of it too, to add a bit more insulation and that helped too. i may try wrapping the dry ice in a towel or something this year.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Like, he put his cooler up on an elevated thingy, opened the drain spigot and stood under it?

This is what I do. Just put the cooler on top of your car, put some kind of water collection thing underneath you (it doesn't take much in this case), pop the spigot, and voila cold shower.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mandaryn posted:

I may try this this year. I kept it on those 1/2 inch interlocking foam thingys in my tent and that seemed to help rather than putting it directly on the ground. I added some reflective/insinuative bubble wrap stuff on the inside of it too, to add a bit more insulation and that helped too. i may try wrapping the dry ice in a towel or something this year.

You'd probably get more play out of making a reflective/insulative bubble wrap slipcover rather than putting it inside. The internal insulation on a cooler is already pretty good, and the reflective properties of that mylar insulation are better for keeping heat out than cold in.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Off to Transformus! If any goons want to hang out, ask for Nemo at Cosmic Raspberry. We are on the left side of the left lake on the map.

Edit: Here is the map https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zCNl_DAcECsk.kzmjQTVwU5hg

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Alfajor posted:

Big Sound Camp "White Ocean" posted in their facebook:

Whoa.

Finally an event named after the demographics of the attendees

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

Liquid Communism posted:

You'd probably get more play out of making a reflective/insulative bubble wrap slipcover rather than putting it inside. The internal insulation on a cooler is already pretty good, and the reflective properties of that mylar insulation are better for keeping heat out than cold in.

Oh, totally. I just ran out of time for making the outside one (was planning on doing both). I'm pretty sure I still have the stuff for it, so I may make another one this year. The internal one also helped concealing some special tea bags I brought along.

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.
Hi folks, virgin with ticket here. Anybody ever see a hexayurt with A/C on playa (or other non-RV structure)?

I'm camping with a bunch of virgins and a couple second-years and they're all whining about how we need A/C and generators for the yurts we're building. The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong? Seems like a ton of things to go wrong especially since we wouldn't be able to try it out ahead of time due to travel logistics.

I think I'm going to try to push for evap coolers. I've seen plenty of glowing recommendations (including the ones above). Anybody ever been disappointed by a FIGJAM-style evap cooler while trying to sleep in after a late night?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

schweg posted:

The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong?

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

schweg posted:

Hi folks, virgin with ticket here. Anybody ever see a hexayurt with A/C on playa (or other non-RV structure)?

I'm camping with a bunch of virgins and a couple second-years and they're all whining about how we need A/C and generators for the yurts we're building. The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong? Seems like a ton of things to go wrong especially since we wouldn't be able to try it out ahead of time due to travel logistics.

I think I'm going to try to push for evap coolers. I've seen plenty of glowing recommendations (including the ones above). Anybody ever been disappointed by a FIGJAM-style evap cooler while trying to sleep in after a late night?

I was able to sleep fine (my first year, in a H12 hexayurt) without a swamp cooler.

I've seen people use commercial sized air conditioners to cool entire villages of yurts and tents. It's amazing what people will do in the name of glamping!

• Locked thread