Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
The rangers could use you but the medical people probably are going to be full of volunteers. I went(2011) to the med station and they were full of people. You probably would enjoy being a ranger more fyi.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Finally a viable burn in the NY region.
the facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/portalburn/
The NY regional person just blasted it out. Of course I want to do this with all my bros.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

IceLicker posted:

I'm only about 2 hours from there in the REAL upstate New York. I just requested to join the FB group so hopefully, I can make it.

Everything north of the bronx is the "real" upstate.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

gimme the lute posted:

Is there a non-facebook site for this?

If there is I have not found it yet. I am going to look at the group and check.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Alfajor posted:

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

Exactly this.

Other events(frostburn) had electrical hookups for heat/AC but you should enjoy the playa as is. Also the one steam lodge in I think comfort village(2011) after I went in there, the playa was like nothing. No humidity just warm and lovely.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Smeed posted:

What are reasonable camp dues? I found a theme camp that is open to new members, seem cool, like a camp that actually contributes, is a community and not just a plug and play outlet... but they want $250. (Meals, generators, showers, booze, sound system, storage space, porta-poties...) By Thursday I'd almost pay that for just a shower, but its a tough sell to my camp mates and I can't tell if it'd be worth it or not.

Depends what are they offering..? The camp I went with in 2011 had food, showers and yoga and a kick rear end shade structure..

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Throwdown posted:

So, for the past 3 or so months I developed an uncontrollable cough which developed into chest pain. While at Transformus that pain increased 10 fold, I lost most of my stamina due to lack of breath (if I took a breath halfway it would hurt really bad) and actually had to walk off conclave halfway for the first time ever. I finally went to the hospital only to find out that I have pneumonia and chances are it's chemical based due to fire breathing. What really sucks is that I have been to multiple burns with this (kind of funny to me actually) and that I may have to give up fire breathing for a long time if not forever. What really really sucks is that any last shred of hope of going to BM has been axed and I won't be able to perform in conclave. :( This loving sucks balls. Sorry for posting this but I really needed to vent. Burn brightly guys and scratch my name into the temple.

There are many other groups that could use you. Slash stuff you could do on the playa if you could stay away from the fire.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Poodge posted:

I did really want to go to burning man, but I heard from someone that people have been drugged via their drinks that they personally know, and that basically most people that go here are to get high/drunk and have coitus. :(

While I do find that kinda hard to believe that "EVERYONE" is like that, seeing this thread makes me feel extremely conflicted about that considering this festival looks really fuckin' awesome, I'm really interested in the concerts and artistic works of the festival and as well being in the middle of the desert for this huge festival sounds incredible!

While the closest to a desert I've been in is around Las Vegas, (Surprisingly it was extremely cold when I went, and I'm from Canada for that fact.) and this is quite far away (11h or so) from Las Vegas. This honestly seemed like a really cool idea to me, and something that I would want to possibly partake in once. :)

You don't have to drink or have sex to partake in burning man, but you do have to be independent enough to know your limits and plan ahead. Does stupid poo poo happen? Sometimes, but if you are cautious you should be fine.

That said it is a great experience that will most likely change the way you see the world and inject raw playa dust into your veins and make you never want to leave.

Also try to find a friend you know from the outside world or two and go with them, it is very nice that way if you are worried. You could already vet someone and then go with them.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Ok who does firefly and why do I have to mail in a release form before I even get a ticket? Jeebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Alfajor posted:

Did you consider posting the link to this survey here? And on reddit, etc?

Also there are a ton of facebook groups.

• Locked thread