Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I have no idea how I'll get there, get the time off work, or if I'll even get tickets, but I've got a friend who is interested so I will try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Well, all pre-registered, but working the day of sale. Left my login info with a buddy, so we'll see if I end up with tickets. If so, expect a lot of panicked questions.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Looks like my buddy and myself will be going to Burning Man this year! First time for either of us and no idea what we'll be in for, other than one crazy time. As of now, we're looking at a cross country road trip to and from the event. If anyone's got a checklist of things to take that would be appreciated, so we can get some idea of what we'll need to buy/borrow/steal.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2014

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Congratulations on making your funding goal - looks like a cool project and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the playa.

One thing I'm still not sure of is what seems to be the "best" thing to wear. I'll have a couple costumes, but I'm more concerned about the other stuff to wear. More specifically, I'm worried about getting sunburns all over. Is it a good idea to just go for something with long sleeves and very breathable or just load on sunscreen with a light tee?
e: Another one of my concerns is hygiene. My friend and I going to be roadtripping there, so I don't really know how much grey water we can handle.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

So as far as an actual camp site goes, do they assign them at the gate or do you just cruise until you find one?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

HappyHelmet posted:

Depends. If your a pre-registered theme camp they will assign you a spot based on what sort of camp you are planning to be (with the exception of a couple camps which are sort-of grandfathered into certain spots). Your average participant has to go find a spot when they get there though, and it is first come first serve if you have a particular area you want to be in.

Thanks for the info, and thank you as well, Jaz.
I've been looking through the event listings and it's been tortuous. I can't believe how hyped up I am. I feel bad (sometimes) for rubbing it in to my coworkers.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Did a last round of purchases. Camelbak, air mattress, some costume stuff and goggles. Hopefully I'll be fully prepared for when the time comes. August is going to be a pretty unforgiving month for me as I had to make a lot of switches at work to figure out this trip. I also decided to go with a theme camp. I'll be with the Black Rock Center for Unlearning at 4:15 & Cinnamon. I'll try to make it out to the Goon meet!
Oh, and I also found this unofficial map of camps to check out what is nearby.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Smeed posted:

Oh poo poo! I'm camping with BRCU this year too. I dunno if I'll actually put my tent there as my friends didn't want to pay dues, but I'll definitely spend most/all of my not-exploring time there.
:hfive: Maybe see you there!

Alfajor posted:

How the hell did you guys end up in BRCU anyway? Honestly curious question, that's all.
The magic of reddit :ssh: Which is a little funny, because I normally actively avoid reddit.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

IceLicker posted:

Oh my god, I just looked at the online events page and holy gently caress, my head is going to explode even more now with things that I want to do than before. 7 days will not be enough...

Just took another look myself. Have a page full of things I'd like to take part in, but I'm sure the plan will go out the window once I'm actually there.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks for the tip, Alfajor. Hadn't heard about the art tours.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

90% finished packing. Starting our drive Friday morning! Hope everyone's preparations went / are going well. See you out there!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Well, it took another 36 or so hours but I made it back home. Just a few quick notes before I can get a proper post in.

- I was in the group on gate road from midnight Sunday to 10pm Monday. It stopped moving around 6AM, people started partying and drinking all around by 8, if that. We made the most of it, although some people took some hilarious mud face plants.
- Art cars are amazing, especially those with a bar on them.
- There is no possible way to do everything you want to, just pick like 2 things a day because you will find so much else.
- Made it to the Goon Meet, enjoyed some mighty fine cider and homebrew. And you guys were OK... I guess.
- ID on the cup is the way to go!
- Being with a theme camp (BRCU) was pretty helpful. Not having to worry about a hot meal was good, even if the timing was infrequent.

I'll of course be at another Burning Man in the future. I'll try to get some photos and stories up here at some point too! I hope one of you got a picture when we drank those beers off the ski or whatever it was...

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

The look on my co-workers faces when I tell them I found a bowling alley in the desert is priceless everytime.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Totally blanked on the registration thing and didn't get a chance to purchase. I was at work on the day anyway. Definitely had an amazingly great time last year, I'll look for ticket opportunities through the summer. Although I think it's more likely that I will just try to attend a regional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Anyone know anything about Lakes Of Fire? I think that's the one that I could get the most amount of my friends interested in.

• Locked thread