Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

Looks like a majority white people thing. Cool for white people I guess or heavily Americanized minorities that will be accepted if they're white enough.

Definitely. This years initiation ritual for any Burning Man virgins is to dance along to New Kids on the Block at the main gate. If you can't "Hang tough" they write "not-tough-enouf" across your bare chest in red lettering and make you walk back to Gerlach on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Chouffe posted:

It's important to note that some bars will not accept a photocopy. I imagine they will continue to become more numerous as police presence becomes more and more overbearing. Shouldn't be too hard to carry it around in an ID card holder attached to your utility belt!

When did this start becoming a thing? 6 years ago when I last went this would be completely unheard of.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

When the local (county and state mostly) law enforcement decided they weren't getting enough money out of the burn, and stepped up enforcement to get those all-important out of town fines flowing. It's been a little ugly the last couple years as the population limits hit, and doesn't show much sign of easing off as long as people are still dumb enough to give them easy targets.

That really sucks. It was never that bad any of the times I went, and generally the cops were pretty loathe to write tickets actually because they just wanted to gawk at the ladies. They did make bank giving out speeding tickets on the way in though.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Throwdown posted:

It is great, I go to a lot of regionals and it is probably my favorite.

I went to the one in Portland for Ranger training and it seemed pretty cool. I was only there for a few hours, but it had a very chill vibe too it. Not the total mayhem of the main event.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Turtle Blogger posted:

In my experience, there is room for grey water in gallon sized water jugs after you drink the water first.

One trick I often used was to make sure your beer/alcohol cooler has a spigot at the bottom. About once a day there should be enough melted ice in there that you can plop it on top of your car, lay out an evap pool, and pop the spigot for a quick (very brisk) shower.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Throwdown posted:

Just left ranger training, what a great time. It is required for anyone who wants to ranger and I suggest it to everyone.

Congrats! Some random tips if you go through with it:

- I highly recommend working perimeter during the Temple burning, it gave me a new perspective on it and it was really something special

- Try spending some time working all three shifts (morning/swing/night) if you can, that way you get to experience more of what it's like being a Ranger

- When it's time to partner up make sure you partner up with a veteran, it's a bit intimidating the first few times you go out

- I'm not sure if they still have the email feed, or if they finally moved Ranger chat to a forum, but make sure you sign up with whatever the current Ranger chat is. Lot's of info both before and after the event goes on there, and you get to feel like you have a backstage pass on all the BM dirt that happens

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

So as far as an actual camp site goes, do they assign them at the gate or do you just cruise until you find one?

Depends. If your a pre-registered theme camp they will assign you a spot based on what sort of camp you are planning to be (with the exception of a couple camps which are sort-of grandfathered into certain spots). Your average participant has to go find a spot when they get there though, and it is first come first serve if you have a particular area you want to be in.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

Oh they play for free, but they sure as hell don't all spend their own time & money procuring a ticket and getting out there, and when they do get there they expect some nice accommodations. Carl Cox and a few others like Christopher Lawrence and Seth Troxler are the exceptions as they're really into the BM vibe, they dress up and stay the whole week. But many of the super-famous DJs I've seen play at BM only stayed there a night or two.

I've talked with Fehrplay a few times about BM, he's really excited to come for the 2nd time this year but he can only stay 3 days because his schedule demands he be in NYC on the Friday before the burn. I guess it's hard to pass up making 5K+ a night to go party in the desert.

Doesn't this sort of thing go against the spirit of the event? I guess there isn't much the organizers can really do about it if someone is willing to pay for these people to come, but it seems like a short step away from charging to see featured performers.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

On the contrary, I think it's great that rich people will pay big $$$ to get great artistic talent out there, even if the artists themselves may be less "burnier-than-thou". I'm concerned that going to BM is becoming a bucketlist item for many people who have no intention of being anything other than a spectator, so I feel any effort to correct the balance and get more artists and other contributors out there is good.

That's a valid point that it helps bring in more art at the very least. Something about having artists just "pop in" for a day or two, and then bounce without actually caring about the event itself rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'm afraid BM will end up something more like a typical music festival than... well whatever it was when it started.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Smeed posted:

What is everyones experience with hexayurts? Worth it? I only need something small enough to sleep in, with emphasis on staying cool. Last year I stayed in an older RV and we barely ran the air conditioner so it was more of a shade structure than anything. By the end of the week I was a grumpy rear end in a top hat who wasn't having much fun because I couldn't sleep. Are they worth building over a tent? Dropping a couple hundred on materials sounds like a fair trade if it'll vastly improve my burn. I have also heard canvas tents are decent, I think my brother has a small military surplus one I could snag if thats the kind people are talking about.

They are great in that they are relatively easy to setup, and pretty stable from what I've heard (never actually built one myself). If cost/time is a factor I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for you though, as it's still gonna get hot in there as soon as day breaks (I imagine anyway). If you don't mind the cost I'd say go for it though, I've always wanted to bring one out there myself.

A canvas tent would be great, but keep in mind the weight of the thing and how it's going to handle the wind. There's nothing worse than coming back to camp to find your tent toppled over, or the stitching torn out and a massive hole in it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Like, he put his cooler up on an elevated thingy, opened the drain spigot and stood under it?

This is what I do. Just put the cooler on top of your car, put some kind of water collection thing underneath you (it doesn't take much in this case), pop the spigot, and voila cold shower.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

White Chocolate posted:

Other events(frostburn) had electrical hookups for heat/AC but you should enjoy the playa as is. Also the one steam lodge in I think comfort village(2011) after I went in there, the playa was like nothing. No humidity just warm and lovely.

I think that was there last time I went in 2009(ish) and that thing was amazing. I'd sit in there with a jug of water and sweat off all the dust and gunk then head out into the 100 degree heat feeling like it was a refreshing spring day. Then meander down to the free margarita camp half a block down, and chill in the shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

mitztronic posted:

I have secured a netbook for burning man w/ a backup. If any goons who are bringing soundsystems want to host me for an hour or two, let me know :)

I'm guessing with my software running I will have maybe 4 or 5 hours of battery life if I'm careful. I need to do some testing, but that should give me a couple 2 hours sets or more 1 hour sets.

If people have a sound system setup I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you borrowed a bit of their electricity to make sure you have more power than that, no?

• Locked thread