Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

HappyHelmet posted:

When did this start becoming a thing? 6 years ago when I last went this would be completely unheard of.

When the local (county and state mostly) law enforcement decided they weren't getting enough money out of the burn, and stepped up enforcement to get those all-important out of town fines flowing. It's been a little ugly the last couple years as the population limits hit, and doesn't show much sign of easing off as long as people are still dumb enough to give them easy targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

So neither did I or anyone from my crew got tix. This should be interesting. If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...

If the new job I just did a second interview for works out, the massive raise will let me come back out to the dust. Going to have to go scouting for late season tickets if so. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If we're talking sun-sensitive, you've got all spring and summer to gradually get outside and try and get enough tan on to be somewhat resistant. However, if you're the type that dries out and cracks at the slightest hint of dry air, you're going to want to make plans to counter that. The playa dust will leech all the moisture out of you it can, especially your feet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Long pants, long sleeves, always wear a hat that covers the back of your neck. Think of traditional desert wear, you know, light fabrics and flowing garments.

Or just only come out at night. Like Alfajor says, there's a ton to do in BRC after dark.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

I have been wanting to do this for about 3 years now. I suspect it's too late to get in on it this year, but I am strongly considering just going gently caress it and making a solemn vow to go in 2015. My cousin is an artist with a huge plan for a display there, but I don't know if he'll ever get the thing done.

Anyways, I'm a MD/DC EMT and am wondering if it wouldn't add something for me to do event EMS work there. I don't drink/drug, but I don't mind being around it, and I'd really like to experience this thing in a sort of raw experiential sort of way, but I wonder if there's any way to make it cheaper/easier for myself by working some of it as an EMT or with an organization like the Zendo Project?

Alternatively that might make it harder or more disorienting if I'm coming into it fresh to be working as en EMT so if you think that would be the case, I'd like to hear that too.

You're way not too late for this year. Despite the event selling out every year, tickets will start showing up for sale in June-July as people who thought they'd be going in December discover that life has other plans for them. However, if you'd prefer the greater lead time to let you organize better, more power to you. I'm not going out this year myself thanks to a new job, but planning for next year already.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SolTerrasa posted:

Got it. I didn't know about them voiding tickets which are overpriced, so thanks.

The Org hates scalpers with a passion, because they're the opposite of the spirit of the event.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My go-to on the Playa is generally the gin and gatorade.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

I think the idea is that if it's widely known that scalped tickets get voided, this will discourage people from buying them, which will stick the scalpers with the tickets they bought, and if they bought them with no intent to use them, then they are stuck "holding the bag." Whether in reality it goes that far or not I guess is questionable.

Hit it right on the head. The goal is to make it unprofitable to scalp BM tickets by sticking the scalpers with useless paper, so scalpers won't bother in the future. Part of why they're trying to keep most of the 'spare' tickets inside the STEP program as well, because that way they have a name attached to them at all points and are more likely to go to someone who's going to attend instead of being scalped.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hell, I had to sell my own tickets two years ago that way, sudden family emergency right before BM.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The physical tickets are always awesome. I keep meaning to find some that didn't get used post-event and start framing them, because they're neat little pieces of art in themselves.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think the parking pass system may finally be what starts cutting down the tourist attendance a bit. Unfortunately also the virgin attendance. It's just not very practical for someone to haul out a week's worth of survival materials on a bus from Reno if they don't have a camp that they can arrange to have it shipped in with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mandaryn posted:

I may try this this year. I kept it on those 1/2 inch interlocking foam thingys in my tent and that seemed to help rather than putting it directly on the ground. I added some reflective/insinuative bubble wrap stuff on the inside of it too, to add a bit more insulation and that helped too. i may try wrapping the dry ice in a towel or something this year.

You'd probably get more play out of making a reflective/insulative bubble wrap slipcover rather than putting it inside. The internal insulation on a cooler is already pretty good, and the reflective properties of that mylar insulation are better for keeping heat out than cold in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alfajor posted:

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

gently caress tents, hammocks all day every day. Cooler during the day, warmer at night because the ground isn't leeching out your precious body heat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Since I can't get to TTITD this year, just picked up my ticket to our local burn. It's close to home this year, so should be a good time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bad-yeti posted:

Really wanted to get in on this this year, alas it's not possible.

Going to start planning for next year though.

The one thing that concernes me is that if I want to hire an RV then I need to do it now it would seem, yet I have no idea if I will be able to get a ticket or vehicle pass, what's the aftermarket for tickets usually like?

Reliably flourishing, especially right before the event. People constantly find out last minute that they can't go.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

minato posted:

They don't mention they drive all that equipment from Dallas, crossing 4 states in a 25-hour non-stop drive each way. Those dudes are hardcore.

OT's sound pissed me off a few years ago, but I can't help but respect the work they put into it. Just had some rear end in a top hat trying to spin terrible music at 430am while I was trying to enjoy my pillow.

stratdax posted:

Okay one more question. I'm having a tough time figuring out what guys wear on their lower half to keep warm during the night. Long johns + hiking-type pants? Leather? Jeans??? Any suggestions? I don't want to get too crazy with buying festival-specific stuff, because I'm only ever gonna use it this one time. At all the other festivals I go to it stays relatively warm at night. Thanks guys.

Kilt and boots, for me. As long as your goinal regions are warm, you'll be fine. But then I'm a heavyset bastard from the frozen plains, so I don't really rate Playa cold as 'real' cold.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 17, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y'all have fun in the dust! Not making it out this year, but I'm working on stuff for my regional in October already.

Gonna be delicious...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, hey, the weather finally decided to remind us all that the Playa is a fickle mistress. :)

Maybe it'll cut down on tourists next year.

Having said this, I expect karma, and have now revised my kit for the Iowa regional for snow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LoveMeDead posted:

Which regional? I go to the Ga. regional every year. Hoping to make it to the big burn in a few years when I'm done with grad school. So jealous of all of you.

Hearths of Phyre in Iowa. Little bit of a different vibe weather wise, but should be a blast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alfajor posted:

How's everyone's decompression thus far? Hating life? Swallowed the urge to make eye contact and say hi to everyone by now?

You don't do that anyway?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Maybe they live in Colorado.

Living in Colorado's not much of a defense when the picture's clearly taken in Nevada. :D

Rule One of Having Fun is not admitting to felonies on public boards.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

goodness posted:

Have you ever been in TCC, or even facebook/tumblr/instagram, etc.?

TCC's behind the paywall. A/T isn't. Just looking out for someone who should know better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks. My first estimate for port a potties was $0.9M, right on the mark!

Well if they say it costs this much then I guess it does. I'd be interested to see further breakdown of $7M in salaries.

Also don't forget that a lot of tickets don't sell at face price. The Org comps a good number of performers for fire conclave and other volunteers, as well as the low income ticket program, and what they give to the locals.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Honestly, I'd kinda like to see the Org start selling separate weekend only and week long tickets... with a large price increase on the weekend only ones. If you're going to be checking in monday through wednesday, you get a discount compared to the folks who pull up Friday morning.

It'd be an interesting social experiment at any rate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ticket season is rapidly approaching.

Anyone getting hyped?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm kind of on the fence this year, given that what I'm reading says they're cutting the vehicle passes back further to 27k and I'm not sure I want to drive 1700 miles each way this time. :P

Anyone had any experience with the Burner Express? It'd cost me about the same to fly into Reno as to drive out and back, assuming gas stays under $3...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

QuantumDeep posted:

I took it last year from Reno and it was awesome. It was my first burn, and I got to meet some pretty cool people on the bus. We got to skip all the lines going into and coming out of BRC, but obviously still got stuck in traffic on the roads. My only issue (and this is pretty much unavoidable) is that they turn the air conditioning while on the sand, so you're pretty much baking and sweating inside a hot sticky smelly box with about 60 other people for about 45 minutes. You won't have access to your luggage while you're going there (you can bring a backpack with you in the bus cabin), so be sure to pack lots of water and some snacks. Overall though, it was a highly positive experience that I would not hesitate to repeat again.

Protip: Pack your dust mask and goggles in your backpack that you have with you in the bus. You don't wanna be searching through your luggage for these items when the playa greets you with your very first dust storm!

Sounds lovely. My biggest concern is packing in enough water to last me the week. That and sleeping arrangements. I usually hammock it, and I can't see a good way to get sufficiently sturdy materials into a package that'll fly. :P

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

goodness posted:

I know it's a long way away but I've heard Burning Man takes the planning of all planning and knowing a group that is already going.

Nah, you can solo it. I did, my first time out. It was fun, but a little scary. It's a lot -cheaper- if you can run with a group because it costs about as much to do stuff like shade and shelter for one person as for 2-3, and splitting gas costs is a godsend when you're driving to the literal middle of nowhere.

If you hit up Eplaya there are some theme camps looking for people as well, but I honestly think that everyone should do at least one year solo so that they can show up without any real set plans for how their burn is going to go.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IceLicker posted:

wtf. I clicked right at 3pm est, waited in line and it says they're all sold out. How is that possible? Did anyone else manage to get tickets?

Same here, guess I'm not heading out after all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I've had pretty good luck with the regionals. Plus, you get to plan for different weather, the local one's in the midwest in late October, so snow's a definite possibility!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mitztronic posted:

Yeah it's not like there are two more sales or hundreds/thousands of people who won't be able to go and who wont scalp their tickets or anything

I'm not in a position to gamble on prepping for a 2k mile each way roll out to the desert, and the time off required for the logistics of it, without solidly knowing I have a ticket and a parking pass well in advance. Besides, none of the folks I was going to roll with scored tickets either, so it's not a huge deal to just do the Regional instead and have a few grand for other expenses and doing something fun for that event.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's about half the problem right there. Everybody and their mother who got through bought an extra ticket just in case a friend didn't get through, so now there's a vast number of tickets floating around that are going to be dumped closer to the event when who can actually go works out. Suppose that's a good thing for the SF and Reno folks who can pick up and run to the playa on a whim, but it makes it hard for anyone trying to coordinate getting a camp out there but not big enough to be in the distributed sale.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, not hoarding an artificially limited commodity on a maybe. :D

Honest answer, though, STEP starts before too long.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doubleposting for good news : A Blog Post!

My favorite thing from it so far is this :

quote:

Unfortunately there is some truth to this. Approximately 200 people created a technical ‘backdoor’ to the sale and made their way to the front of the line. Absolutely no tickets were sold before the sale opened at 12:00 pm, but they were able to purchase the first batch of tickets when the sale started. The good news (for us, not them) is that we can track them down, and we’re going to cancel their orders. The tickets from those orders will be made available in the OMG Sale in August. Of course, steps are being taken to prevent this from happening again in future sales.

Still doesn't really make up for the fact that this kind of issue has come up every year for the last several, but it's something right? Too bad those tickets are going to be out of the market until it's too late for a lot of people to get to the Burn with them anyway, but it's something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Unfortunately, I worry this is going to be just as poisonous. People need to have lead time to bring the sort of mad art that makes BM interesting, and with the disarray over vehicle passes...

Well, let's just say it's hard to haul enough to be self sufficient for a week on a bus, much less art projects, camp structure, or things to gift. That means the only ones hauling in impressive works are those wit deep enough pockets to buy commercial delivery, or placed theme camps given the distributed sale had more vehicle passes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 24, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's kind of hilarious, there's already people trying to use vehicle passes as barter to get into theme camps over on eplaya.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

So I'm angling to get to burning man this year. I spent the past six in the navy and this will be my first chance ever. Now i'm dealing with the ticketing process and its pretty frustrating.

Yeah, good luck with that. Ticketing this year is, as it has been for the last couple, a mess. If you can go on short notice, you've got a good change of picking up a secondary market ticket close to the event as people discover they can't make it out, especially if you're somewhere like Reno or SF with big burner communities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

BMorg doesn't publish their financials so I can't find exact numbers from them regarding ticket sales or costs to put on the festival but I definitely don't feel bad for them regarding land use fees. Nevada should be able to reap the benefits of an annual festival attended by 70,000 people with deep pockets. BMorg takes in more money in ticket sales than it spend on logistics, facilities, staff, and art grants, I'm sure they can spare a few million for land use permits.

Not that that's an excuse for the ludicrous demands of the police with that stupid cop village they want...

gently caress you very much.

Nevada's already picking up a massive tax revenue bump from 70,000 people purchasing goods and services on their way into the middle of nowhere, not even considering what BMOrg actually pays out to handle the logistics out there.

Even if you figure every ticket of 70k sold at face value (which they don't, a lot of those are in the low income program/are used for support staff), they're barely clearing 30 million in sales.

That means this BLM bullshit is 1/6 of their ticket sales off the top.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just got an email from a camp I worked with a while back, apparently the Playa has a serious mosquito problem this year!

Let's see who prepared for -that-! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I always wanted to visit the salt flats

Clearly BRC isn't inhospitable enough. Need to move someplace even less comfortable.

RACHET posted:

This is just posturing. EDC and Burning Man bring in way too much money for a state like Nevada to gently caress themselves over by losing those events.

Tell that to the BLM, or the attempts by Washoe County to wring more money out of the Org.

• Locked thread