Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Neris posted:

Some essentials that you need to remember to get.
  • Your ID (if you are over 21 and plan to drink.) Most bars will ID you. One genius solution to the anxiety of losing your ID is to photocopy it, glue it to your cup, and leave your real ID in your tent.

It's important to note that some bars will not accept a photocopy. I imagine they will continue to become more numerous as police presence becomes more and more overbearing. Shouldn't be too hard to carry it around in an ID card holder attached to your utility belt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

So neither did I or anyone from my crew got tix. This should be interesting. If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...

But really, if you register for STEP asap you should be fine. I believe that in at least one previous year, everybody who registered for STEP after initially not getting a ticket eventually got a ticket through STEP. So you don't need to hope for a miracle.

Also, being in SF surrounded by burners (all through august you see people trying out their shade structure in the park by my house) means that I hear about extra tickets all the time in the month or two before the burn, so I'm happy to direct some towards people in the thread. Post about if you still need tickets closer to the event!

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Jaz posted:

My camp is planning to have a small DJ setup. You are welcome to come and play on it. We will be mostly chilling out in our dome, no big nightclub vibe/stage or anything.

Small nightclub vibes are certainly fun too. I would be super happy to play your tiny dome party out there if you'd let me. Especially if your camp is tired of house and angry dubstep.

I would also be happy to help fund part of your system if it would help you get one out there. Was considering buying a new setup for my camp (ours got moved to our art car!), but electronic music doesn't go over very well in my village, so it wouldn't really work for what I'd like to do. Might as well help somebody else with theirs, you know?

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

All DJing interested dudes, my friends and I are building an art car which will also host a party lounge (it's gonna be pretty massive) and would of course love anyone to join. Once I have more info I'll let you know. This is what they did last year.

I'm so down. Is that, uh, a rave owl mounted on your car? Or an adjacent car? God I love burning man

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Neris posted:

Anyone else?

Me and Carmen. Tutu tuesday 2013, probably? Fire. No barriers! Somehow the tutu is not on fire.

Edit: some more:

In 2013, the Sierra Nevada were on fire and the smoke blew into the desert and dimmed the sun.

Gigsville's Eye of Sauron + poofers.

hey there check out this stranger's picnic basket that has one single button inside, let's press it OH GOD IT MADE FIRE COME OUT OF THAT GNOME, HOW AM I NOT SURPRISED

I think this last one really captures the spontaneity and "what" and "whoa" of the burn.

Chouffe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 4, 2014

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

BathroomTile posted:

Those of you not using SLR cameras, do you guys bring out disposable cameras for the Burn?

If you have an iphone or other decent cameraphone, I recommend it. Somebody mentioned lack of moving parts. That probably helps! And despite nearly never actually planning to do things, once in a while I do like to have a good map/event list, and that's way easier to use from my phone.

I just keep it in a pocket away from unnecessary dust. These are all iphone photos, and I don't think I cleaned my camera once. The auto HDR can be kinda weird, and night is kinda blurry, but I feel like it's going to be better than a disposable camera.

waitin for the whiteout to subside before continuing vehicle motion

while waiting, we played Eye of the Tiger so these people started working out to show off their fitness

our art car, the heavy metal tiki god

lol dawn

dawn got weird ("I'm saluting the sun! Salutations, sun!!")

skee ball

Try This One Easy Trick For Fixing A Bike With A Scarf Stuck In The Back Wheel

The Car B Que (griddle on front, grill in one back window, pizza oven opposite)

the burn

uh

temple burn

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

JoeCool posted:

I have very sensitive skin. Would I enjoy going to burning man?

Probably depends how severe and how much you care. For me, I will happily (joyously?) endure or work around most things that don't send me to the med tent. So if I had severe respiratory issues, I would probably avoid burning man due to the dust.

I'm not sure what problems sensitive skin can result in, though.

If your problem is primarily sun, you will want a parasol (with a wrist strap haha) and lots of light white clothing and sunscreen to keep you both cool and not burning. Or bring a hexayurt/RV and just sleep all day (I know people who do this).

If you're worried about the dust being irritating, you could practice at home by having somebody toss a bunch of, uh, mud dust on you and then doing something awesome outside and seeing if you hate your life. Maybe you'll react more intensely to the playa dust though? I'd have to know more about your condition.

Personally, one of the joys of burning man is working around my weird comfort issues. I am rabidly opposed to letting dust touch my hands and fingertips because I'm crazy or something. So I spend a lot of time planning how to be comfortable despite that, because burning man is worth it for me. And then it becomes part of the fun! And you get to learn about alllll kinds of gloves. And always have extras for people who suddenly want to help you put up your tower but didn't bring any gloves. And invent weird stories to tell people who ask why they never see you with bare hands.

(PS everything is sharp and rusty out there, so everybody should always bring a pair of gloves because there will be a time you'll need them).

So if you're sun-sensitive and being in the sun is going to send you to the med tent, avoid! If it won't send you to the med tent, consider your personality and think back to times you had to hack your surroundings to make yourself comfortable. Was it fun? Are you able to ignore it by being outgoing and having fun?

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Weaponized Cum posted:

Our art car has been fully funded! We raised $15,000 through Kickstarter. I want to share the project with you guys, so you can see exactly how it's going to look and how we will be able to host upwards to 25 people on the deck. You can check it out here.

I will be more than happy to host all/any of you and party the week away.

Glad there's a little more time on the kickstarter! How far outside the city are you building it? Or are you building it in SF? I'm sure you've got plenty of motivated folks at hand, but if you ever need an extra grunt some day, I'm in SF and have very good gloves.

This looks absolutely ridiculously stunning. The shell-dome is brilliant. The steps along the sides to maximize carrying potential (and ease of boarding) are great. Though you'll probably need to be vigilant about people hopping on and off.

Your choice of base vehicle is so good, too. Vehicles meant to go slow and move large weights probably work much more naturally as art cars than cars meant to go highway speeds. I'm gonna try to bring some little tomatoes out there because I think it would be extremely appropriate to feed them to folks on your car. Probably won't last past Tuesday though so I better find you early!

Also I'd be so excited to play on it for like an hour or so sometime, like you mentioned before! Just yesterday I finished putting together my very tiny and mobile "I don't mind if this all dies in the desert" set of DJ equipment so as long as you have a spare input in your mixer and a power outlet I'm good to go.

edit: just fyi having a playa cherry tomato has become my new fantasy, I can't stop thinking about it

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Whoops I somehow managed to volunteer to design our (15-person) camp's kitchen setup/rules this year so that it's not covered in people's random food, bullshit, and dirty dishes. Wondering if you folks have any advice!

We don't do communal meals, but we do like to share the same gas stove and a set of pots and pans and stuff. People usually make their simple meal for themselves and maybe another person or two, then clean their dishes (unless they're using burnable ones).

I think I'm looking for a solution that:
(1) - gives people some individual storage space in the kitchen so they can keep some things in there without taking up surface space that should be used for meal prep or cleanup
(2) - makes it easy to wash dishes and then get greywater out of the kitchen to the evap pool

For (1), I'm leaning towards making a couple of these playatech shelves that are very much like ikea expedits: http://www.playatech.com/index.php?deptName=03Bare%20Necessities&prodDesc=09Gear%20Gizmo but I'll need to find somebody with a table saw or something to help cut the plywood. (Side note: if you haven't seen playatech before, I suggest taking a look. They're simple designs for furniture that can often be cut from single plywood boards, packed flat, and then slotted together in seconds on-playa.)

Also my friend's camp has these badass cabinets that actually pack down to a small cube. But I haven't been able to track down blueprints. If anybody knows about these sorts of things, I'm interested.

Not sure what to do for (2). I think we've had a wash basin and air pressure sprayers for the past few years, but it's pretty minimal.

Does anybody have any expertise in this area that they could share? Kitchen storage/setup ideas would be great, but also if anybody has interesting approaches to playa kitchens or ideas on kitchen process/usage/guidelines/rules they'd like to share, I'd be really interested.

Thanks!

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

stratdax posted:

So I've heard they give you a book at the gate with a listing of things that are happening and when? Is it as detailed as their schedule of events online?

No, in fact there's a usually a mad dash to submit events once they open because they only have so much room in the book. There will be many online that don't make it into the book. The ones that make it into the book will likely be more well-attended due to being in the book.

Edit: it's called the What Where When

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Re: filling your week up with plans:

The playa is where plans go to die. Roll with it!

Re: ticketless passengers

Yeah they won't let your car into the burn unless everybody has a ticket. They will NOT let you leave your ticketless person behind. Well, I do know of one time that gate let that happen, actually: they then hunted down the people inside the event and made them leave to figure out the ticketless person's situation.

• Locked thread