Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Aaaahhh yeaaaah, the Bernie Mac Festival!
The energy in Reno is already VERY strong for this year. Lots of art projects cooking up at The Generator, which came to be from the core of the Pier Group guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Partly. The Generator is this huge warehouse, and only a corner of it is being used to build Embrace. Dozens of other projects, small and big, are in there too.

As for Embrace: I think the idea is loving great. A big part of the Temple experience is being mindful of relationships, and often letting go of relationships that ended in one way or another. The embrace represents that, and when it burns (and it will! Whether it's the temple or not, it's being built)... let's just say that it will probably be a very big emotional/sentimental event. Not to mention pretty loving epic, since it is burning man after all.

There's already some controversy about the proposal to have Embrace be the temple, so you're not the only one who's not feeling it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

fits my needs posted:

Looks like a majority white people thing. Cool for white people I guess or heavily Americanized minorities that will be accepted if they're white enough.
So you've never been, right?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Looks like the wife and I have tickets with our name on them. Will probably be the last year we go, at least in a while. Exciting, but also kinda sorta not :3:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

If I hear that "the playa provides" one more time though...
heh.
My partner in crime (aka wife) and I said that to each other sarcastically all the time during most times of need. It's funny, try it out.

Even funnier when it actually provides, man

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

I have a BM account and waiting on info for the STEP program. Will also try doing the low income ticket thing, which opens this Tuesday.

All DJing interested dudes, my friends and I are building an art car which will also host a party lounge (it's gonna be pretty massive) and would of course love anyone to join. Once I have more info I'll let you know. This is what they did last year.

I'd REALLY like to DJ on an art car for a couple of hours at night. Sign me up plz :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Even if it came down to you needing to be in the shade all the time, there's a lot going on during the night time, so that'd be okay :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

bj2001holt posted:

We are looking for some people to ride-share with from Fort Collins, CO if anyone here is interested. We are towing out a decent sized camper and have space in the truck additional for gear/people.

There are lots of burners that travel from CO, you should have no problems finding someone that wants to ride with 2 virgins.

My camp's first meeting is tonight. I doubt we'll commit to making 300 gallons of beer again, but we'll probably make at least 50.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That's loving awesome. I didn't even know tomato harvesters were a thing.
Can I claim a spot to watch the man burn from it now? :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

One thing I'm still not sure of is what seems to be the "best" thing to wear.

You have to adjust for your regular outdoors exposure habits. If you rarely stay out in the sunlight for hours on end, then it's best to be safe and get sleeves and very breathable, in light colors.

As for hygiene, easy ways to prevent grey water while still keeping clean are no-rinse soaps and disposable moist towels (which you still need to haul out).

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I really hope someone builds a big-scale version of this "Rubens' Tube": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awbKQ2DLRE

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone want to donate a Segway?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

stratdax posted:

Says he has the physical ticket and a receipt from Ticketfly.
This sounds fishy. Keep looking.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Big Sound Camp "White Ocean" posted in their facebook:

Whoa.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

We got placed at 3:15 and A. In other words: :c00lbert:

Let the hype begin!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

schweg posted:

The idea of going out and air conditioning the desert sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong?

My personal opinion is that as a virgin, you should be in a tent. Playa everywhere, all the time. Hot as gently caress. And then you still want to come back? Ok, cool.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

It's starting to sink in, the excitement is rising. Our camp is coming together smoothly, and the brew is turning out loving amazing. We've got official events listed on the WWW, so we're expecting a lot of traffic at 3:15 and A... I'll post our schedule once I know the better details to share :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ouch! That sucks and sounds terrible.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

YES
Come to HomeBrauHaus, drink beer, sit at our motherfucking benches that we've been building, and say hi!

Let's say... :siren: GOON MEET: Friday at 4pm, 3:15 and A :siren:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 30, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I'll be with the Black Rock Center for Unlearning at 4:15 & Cinnamon.
Cool, I camped with BRCU for its first 2 (or 3?) years. You're going to have a lot of fun :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

How the hell did you guys end up in BRCU anyway? Honestly curious question, that's all.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm not as awesome as mitztronic (do let me know if you get a slot, I want to come check it!), but I'd also love to DJ on an art car, or during a camp's event thing too.

Potrzebie posted:

Monday through Sunday we'll be arranging beer aerobics at 4:30 and A every morning at nine o'clock. See you there!

We're doing Beer Yoga at 10 am on both Friday and Saturday! My wife is the instructor :c00lbert:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Yep, water and food will be aplenty everywhere. For your marine battery: is it possible to purchase ahead and tell them to hold it at a store for pick-up?
Is your car rental already all settled? If not, do that now or ASAP.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

This just in:
I'll be DJing at BRCU (4:15 & C) on Tequila Thursday at noon! Goons camping at BRCU are totally expected to come say hi and perhaps even provide me with lunch snacks.

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 8, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Speaking of amazing, the guys doing Embrace are doing 35 trips Reno-BRC-Reno to get the art piece out there. Each round-trip is about 7 hours without Burning Man traffic, but the crews are then also unloading and building. God drat. :aaa:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Since you're virgins, I'll say it: do NOT drive all the way to Black Rock City without a ticket. Whoever doesn't have a ticket will have a really bad time.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ninja Pangolin posted:

What are things I absolutely have to do?

- go in the Man before Saturday
- go in the Temple before Sunday
- go to Center Camp and hang out for a while. Talk to people, listen to the randomness that is usually on the stages, join a drum circle, whatever.
- be naked (even if it means going into deep playa where no one can see you)
- see the sunrise
- go all the way to the trash fence
- say "yes" more than "no"

I expect a post-burn trip report!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I can't believe I almost forgot it:
- be alone, do your thing
seriously. Do your thing. Check it out. Once you've had enough, find your next thing.

Story time!
First burning man, first night. I had a very small 1 person tent, the lightweight backpacker kind. I went to bed around midnight, after having a lot of fun just after setting up tent before dusk. At around 3~4 am, I need to go piss away some of the beer, and while walking to the potties, I hear music I really enjoy. After emptying the tank, I feel rather awake so I figure I'll go check it out.
Next thing I know, I was dancing on the corner of Esplanade & 8:30, at a camp with big walls of light, and a DJ blasting old school 90s house/pop. I wasn't just dancing though, i felt like no one was watching, it was amazing. I was bustin' moves that I'd only done in my living room :slick: I danced like a god drat fruit, and loved every second of that experience. I didn't know I wanted that, but it would have not happened if I followed my own, private and personal instinct. If I'd been hanging with friends, girlfriend or wife, I probably would have gone back to bed or tried to convince them to come with me... and then I probably wouldn't have gone all :c00l:, so I hope you get the point: be alone, find a way to get weird, and go balls deep at it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

If you haven't been keeping up, watch and prepare your gear to handle similar conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OU0kF1E1iU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

IMO: It gets cold, but not so cold that you've got to worry about your legs. Legs are easy to warm up, and for me the constant walking, biking, dancing, being near fire, etc, make it so thin fake leather pants are my go-to night attire. On top: a vest of some sort, and a big fake-fur coat (scored from the Ladies section at the thrift store).

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

mitztronic posted:

It's been below freezing in years past... I've heard its been pretty warm the past few years but you really never know from what I hear.

True. One of the principles is "self reliance", so... look up weather reports, figure out how cold is cold for you, and prepare accordingly! :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Another great piece of advice from yours truly.

Go on a guided art tour (http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_tours.html). You'll learn a lot about the art, the artist, why it was chosen, stories about the build, and all sorts of "playa lore" that you can then share back at camp, or while waiting for the Man to burn, and be just the coolest burner around.

(Or download the official audiotours and listen to them by yourself in your loving headphones: http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_installations_audiotours.html)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm surprised you don't have yourself a "page" for your DJ stuffs. You should, because you're pretty great IMO.

On the note of DJ things, I made a 1 hr mix with the journey to BRC in mind. Free mp3 download; ideally, you'd push "play" as you're getting off I-80: https://soundcloud.com/alfaj0r/burning-man-2014-caravansary

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

New page, reminder:
:siren: GOON MEET: Friday at 4pm, location is 3:15 and A (HomeBrauHaus, free beer if you bring your cup!) :siren:

*edit: RockstarLibrarian has released her "Music Guide" : http://www.rockstarlibrarian.com/?p=1857. Have I mentioned that I'm super stoked to be near Carl Cox's new camp? I'll probably be hanging there quite a bit at night :)

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 19, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That should be easy enough to find. Important detail missing: When are you hoping to arrive at BRC?

*edit :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 20, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I thought you were stranded in SF.
As for Fernley ticket shopping, you probably won't be alone. Make your signs legible from far away, and best of luck. You could try Craigslist, but beware of scammers and all that fun stuff. Here's Reno's CL: http://reno.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=burning+man+ticket&sort=rel

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Packed all of camp yesterday, early entry team is on the road right now with 240+ gallons of homebrew beer, a big rear end bar, shade, kitchen and more. I can't wait to head out next week!

In the meantime, here's a GREAT video to get in the mood: http://vimeo.com/103975643

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

http://www.ustream.tv/burningman !

Also: Embrace will burn on Friday at sunrise/7am, promises to be amazing.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

If you are stuck in Reno, here's a good guide to town :) http://freshbakin.com/drowningman/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Leaving tomorrow morning :toot:

Meanwhile, here's a great link: http://makezine.com/2014/08/26/behind-the-scenes-the-build-at-burning-man/

• Locked thread