Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

mrbasehart posted:

The soundtrack is very nice, and reminds me a little of FEZ in spots.

Is the game's ratio 4:3 or does it look narrower to anyone? It looks like a iPhone port. Did the designers say anything about they wanted it to look like that?

The game is primarily built akin to a SHMUP ratio if that makes any sense. Basically, its meant to look like that.

chocolatekake posted:

I am doing the post-game stuff, but I'm not getting all the collectibles. You reminded me how not all of them are super involved, so I'll get most of them. I know one I won't be recording, but for that one and any others that give me trouble, I'll still show them off.

I must've missed something, is there more to the post-game than getting the last items? I just got like two before I stopped playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Highwang posted:

I must've missed something, is there more to the post-game than getting the last items? I just got like two before I stopped playing.

There's a few extra places you can go that, depending on intent, either add to the atmosphere or are legitimately worth looking at.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

mrbasehart posted:

Is the game's ratio 4:3 or does it look narrower to anyone? It looks like a iPhone port. Did the designers say anything about they wanted it to look like that?

The screen uses the game tiles in a 10x10 grid, plus the UI (about 1.5 tiles) at the top. That's another influence from Link's Awakening, although that game was 10x8 and had a UI that was 1 tile tall. And I think Sean said he wanted to work with 10x10 because he wanted to design spaces around that size. Oddly enough, the aspect ratio of Anodyne is close to the Game Boy's ratio, if it was turned 90 degrees.

Edit: Also, some good news. The collectible I was worried about has been taken care of, so I won't have that looming over me.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 2, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Dungeon 4 is done. But we've still got a ways to go. Cube King monologues in following post.

No New Characters!

New Cards!

No. 30
They always said, "Get off the computer! Or you'll never make friends!"

No. 31
I'm only the ruler for the extent of a conversation.

No. 32
I'll bet you think you're 'making my job interesting'!

No. 33
I hate diagonals.

No. 34
Don't even try that claritin clear poo poo with me.

No. 35
Swipe this card to unlock the door to your room!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Cube King Monologues

Black Cube King - Music

Well, even though I'm the ruler of this part of space, I am not really ruling over anyone.
Those friends of mine - they're all rulers of their own parts of space. Ruling no one really, either - we're all alone in that respect. But we're not alone in that we talk to each other, and in other ways we are not alone, too. This is just one place in which I exist.
My friends and I - our parts of space have a lot of commonality to them in why they exist and how they're organized. Similar interests and desires, and the like. We like to talk a lot about how to rule, and so forth.
But the tragic thing is that we rarely, if ever, get to meet eachother in the physical form.
So you're not actually talking to their physical forms, but a representation of them in some holographic form.
I know, it's unfortunate. It's unfortunate because we share so much in common, but we can only help eachother as friends so much.
There's just a small thing lacking when you can't have a one-on-one physical conversation all the time.
But I'm not complaining. It's better than nothing at all! I can't imagine what it would be like otherwise. Something terrible.
It was nice talking at you, good luck with whatever you're up to.

Orange Cube King - Music

Why am I the ruler?...I'm not sure why, but my friends around here saw it fit to put me in this position, because of the immediate state of this space. Maybe this is the case because cubes are best at sitting still on flat surfaces. As for why someone needs to sit up here - that's beyond me!
The others - my friends over there - have merits of their own. It's not like they couldn't sit up here in the future, they just can't do it now. Sometimes, we switch off who is the ruler, but every time, we always have to reinterpret this region of space! Perhaps Mr. or Ms. Pyramid comes up here because we decide to make the throne shaped in a way that best fits them, by re-imagining this world, so to speak. Does that sound silly? It might be. But that's how it is. It happens quite fast. Minutes, hours - not necessarily a long reign.
Though, when I am ruler, it feels slightly strange...I somewhat feel isolated, wanting to be avoidant of others...
...but isolation is not the right word, though it covers parts of the feeling. I'm not isolated, and I don't dislike the others. We consider ourselves all friends, but you know, no one really comes up here except to say a few words. So I have to think about things or I might go crazy! Maybe that's part of the isolation.
Outside of those inane questions about *why* we're here occupying this space, I'm curious as to why we're even friends.
I like to think that whenever we're under the interpretations that I'm best to rule, that they give me comfort in being able to hold this position for as long as it takes to reach the next interpretation. You know, encouragement and the like, their physical presence, those are comforting.
I suppose that's enough to satisfy me, though it would be nice to have one or two of them try and understand how I feel about being a ruler. Not that I'm complaining about encouragement! But maybe then, we could have multiple rulers...what a thought! Maybe that implies that when I am not ruler, I must act the same way I sometimes wish they would...who knows if that can be done.
I've gone on too long. If you head off in the other directions, there's another similar region of space, though I think it smells a bit different.
It was nice to meet you.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 27, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Oh man, we are cyberspace now. That level stuck with me so much, it just hit so close to home that I couldn't help but appreciate it.

Hotel was kinda drab imo, there's another level that's similar but far better in certain aspects.
Edit: Oh hell this is the skyscraper zone! This is the area I was thinking of, and man it was nice. That first NPC you talk to was fairly poignant.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 3, 2014

shoelace
Jul 25, 2013
Just wanted to say that I'm loving this LP so far! I was super curious about this game but I couldn't get past the first boss. :saddowns:

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Unless this is a huge spoiler, what is the item being depicted on card #13? A sword? A weather vane of some sort? Lightning rod?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it cool if I link a really good remix album? I think there's one song that hasn't been heard in the game yet.

I really like this game. I was thinking of doing an LP of it myself but :effort:.

In a lot of ways it makes me think of a more cynical Earthbound.

Also are you going to show off the death sequence?

e: Apparently you did and I just hadn't gotten that far yet! Youngtown is.. Possibly the most interesting area other then the roofs, though for an opposite reason. The 8Bit dungeon is the worst area.

shoelace posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm loving this LP so far! I was super curious about this game but I couldn't get past the first boss. :saddowns:

The only boss I ever died against is the first one, so there's that.

TKMobile posted:

Unless this is a huge spoiler, what is the item being depicted on card #13? A sword? A weather vane of some sort? Lightning rod?

I am pretty sure it comes up later.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 6, 2014

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

TKMobile posted:

I always thought it was the wind mill that you activated right before getting the card.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Anatharon posted:

Is it cool if I link a really good remix album? I think there's one song that hasn't been heard in the game yet.
Go for it. I'm definitely up for some remixes.

Double Rabite posted:

I always thought it was the wind mill that you activated right before getting the card.
It is. It's just super downscaled to fit on the card, that's why it's so different and hard to recognize.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chocolatekake posted:

Go for it. I'm definitely up for some remixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGOu2vN8RrI

Here you go then!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That hotel! That was a real change of pace from the fantasy environments. Startin' to feel really Earthbound up in here.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

It's been a while. Welcome back to Holy poo poo! :siren:Edit: There seems to be some desync towards the end of the video. It's in the source recording, so I'm probably going to leave it unless it really bothers people. Sorry!:siren:

No New Characters!

New Cards!

No. 7
Limited time offer! Buy one, get one free - only today!

No. 8
Remember the time that you lit a candle when the power was out?

No. 9
Mmmm, your pillow was cozy last night.

No. 10
This'll teach 'em for calling me the fumi-GAY-tion guy.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 25, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The "music" in Young Town is so unsettling. It's giving me a serious "listening to a shortwave radio in a dark room in the darkest part of the night" feeling. Also all that killing for the bodies card. It's easily one of the most hosed up parts of the game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

A fact you didn't touch on is that when you stab people in Young Town, you can still talk to them after. They only have a handful of canned sayings, mostly about how now they're going to miss their favorite shows and the like, but... it adds yet another layer to the creepiness. These people are being stabbed and only see it as an inconvenience.

More importantly, they aren't actually dying despite being killed.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

KataraniSword posted:

A fact you didn't touch on is that when you stab people in Young Town, you can still talk to them after. They only have a handful of canned sayings, mostly about how now they're going to miss their favorite shows and the like, but... it adds yet another layer to the creepiness. These people are being stabbed and only see it as an inconvenience.

More importantly, they aren't actually dying despite being killed.

I actually didn't know that until just last night! And I agree, so I will show it off quick in a later video.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That is the creepiest level. That whole place is just so wrong.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This game's music is amazing. I really want to play it now...I wonder if this will ever get picked up by Sony for a PSN release?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Note that our protagonist has the same name as the town he murders people in...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think Youngtown is the high point of the game, atmosphere wise.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SSNeoman posted:

Note that our protagonist has the same name as the town he murders people in...

Also note:

chocolatekake posted:

No. 29
Oh, you collect cards, too? Real classy, Ying.

I am pretty sure our protagonist is the assumedly psychotic, parking-lot obsessed mayor of this town.

The staticky greyscale filter in the area implies this is actually something in the past, like a flashback on an old TV or the like.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there a card gate into the final dungeon? That's the only reason I can think of why you even had to confront that boss.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Young-town was always so messed up. I also just now realized that your broom becomes a knife in that level so its really unsettling.

Also if you really want, I can try and fix the audio desynch in Adobe Premiere. Just give me a heads up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Highwang posted:

Young-town was always so messed up. I also just now realized that your broom becomes a knife in that level so its really unsettling.
poo poo, so did I. :stare: I love the mood throughout this game and how nothing is ever quite right (and some of it is very, very wrong).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, so did I. :stare: I love the mood throughout this game and how nothing is ever quite right (and some of it is very, very wrong).

You should look up the LP of Yume Nikki then. This game is basically the atmosphere of Yumme Nikki with the gameplay of Zelda.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You should look up the LP of Yume Nikki then. This game is basically the atmosphere of Yumme Nikki with the gameplay of Zelda.

Yeah, this game is so much like Zelda to a fault somewhat. The atmosphere and various set pieces keep it interesting however so I can't complain.

I could never get into Yume Nikki myself, I had no idea what to do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It was one of the first LPs I watched here, and I still have it bookmarked in the archive for the occasional rewatch (when I'm feeling extra-creepy, I suppose). I get the strongest shades of Yume Nikki when Young uses the transporter gates at the Nexus--I think the SFX may be a direct rip from that game.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Highwang posted:

Yeah, this game is so much like Zelda to a fault somewhat. The atmosphere and various set pieces keep it interesting however so I can't complain.

I could never get into Yume Nikki myself, I had no idea what to do.

I had a similar problem with Yume Nikki at first. As much as I love exploration, it was way too open-ended for me. I kept being disappointed with not making progress so I eventually just used the wiki to figure out stuff to do. I still love it, though, so having used a guide of sorts is fine by me.

Also, nobody's been complaining about the desync, so I think I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the offer though!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

It was one of the first LPs I watched here, and I still have it bookmarked in the archive for the occasional rewatch (when I'm feeling extra-creepy, I suppose). I get the strongest shades of Yume Nikki when Young uses the transporter gates at the Nexus--I think the SFX may be a direct rip from that game.

All the video links are dead. :negative:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Aw, poo poo. Maybe talk to ohmRICE? I think I've seen her around. If I run into her, I'll see if she has the videos elsewhere.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Glazius posted:

Is there a card gate into the final dungeon? That's the only reason I can think of why you even had to confront that boss.

None of the dungeons have card gates blocking them. I'll remember to bring this up when I come across it.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Another quick announcement, Anodyne is 50% off on Steam until next Monday!
The Humble Store is also having a sale!

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 6, 2014

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

You can actually still watch them by downloading the flash version from the polsy page.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Nuclear Pizza posted:

You can actually still watch them by downloading the flash version from the polsy page.
Awesome, thanks! I was hoping to watch that one.

I missed a card in this video by accident, I'll be getting it first thing next time. Also, I'm dumb. For some reason I thought lions took five hits this whole time. They only take four, but they die kind of weird.

No New Characters!

New Cards!

No. 22
Don't get violent around me.

No. 23
I've always wanted to be on Iron Chef.

No. 25
Are you amused yet, human?

No. 26

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 15, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Those rooms aren't just the hardest rooms in the entire dungeon; the Lion Card may in fact be the hardest platforming challenge IN the basic game. There's really no way of showing just how perfect that jump in the Fire Annoyer room has to be in order to nail it without playing it yourself. Add that into the fact that Lions are basically Dogs But Worse (tm), and you have a recipe for a lot of hate directed towards the circus. :argh:

And yeah, if it wasn't made obvious enough, you rescued the boss(es) of this area from committing suicide. Only to kill them yourself. Good job, Young! :thumbsup:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

KataraniSword posted:

Those rooms aren't just the hardest rooms in the entire dungeon; the Lion Card may in fact be the hardest platforming challenge IN the basic game. There's really no way of showing just how perfect that jump in the Fire Annoyer room has to be in order to nail it without playing it yourself. Add that into the fact that Lions are basically Dogs But Worse (tm), and you have a recipe for a lot of hate directed towards the circus. :argh:

And yeah, if it wasn't made obvious enough, you rescued the boss(es) of this area from committing suicide. Only to kill them yourself. Good job, Young! :thumbsup:

Was that what was happening? Oh. Ok.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The later levels really bring on the darker aspects of the game's plot, and the circus lays it on pretty heavily. I remember being really bummed out when I beat the acrobat bosses.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

To be fair, they did try to kill Young for trying to help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ViggyNash posted:

To be fair, they did try to kill Young for trying to help them.

Well, it was ritual suicide to some cruel, unfeeling cultgod. You can't make the cultgods angry without expecting some acrobats wanting to beat you up.

(I forget if it's actually got any sort of basis in the game, but The Seeing One seems more and more like an analogy for the player... :tinfoil:)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 15, 2014

• Locked thread