Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will win The Amazing Race?
This poll is closed.
Flight Time and Big Easy 14 19.72%
Bopper and Mark 4 5.63%
Caroline and Jenn 0 0%
Dave and Connor 6 8.45%
Margie and Luke 2 2.82%
Natalie and Nadiya 3 4.23%
Brendon and Rachel 2 2.82%
Jessica and John 1 1.41%
Jet and Cord 21 29.58%
Joey and Meghan 1 1.41%
Leo and Jamal 17 23.94%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I don't know if I should be glad that Natalie & Nadiya are eliminated or mad that they sucked so badly and Joey & Meghan could have been the ones gone instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

The Dark One posted:

How is staying outside and waiting any better than guessing and waiting inside anther capsule? :psyduck:

They stop one at a time, so they could get in one and wait the full rotation, or just wait a few more bubbles. It would make sense if they had been watching other teams and there were only one or two with the clue, instead of all of the evens having a clue.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I like that they switched from OMGZ Luke is deaf we're so special, to OMGZ Margie is in her 50s we're so special.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Watching the twinnies spectacularly implode was amazing. Even team YouTube didn't annoy me as much as them.

Bopper was awesome, but Mallory is just a tiny ball of adorableness, I don't mind seeing her back. But if they make it more than a few legs I'll be shocked.

Has there been a team run before that hasn't had a previous relationship?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

^^^ That was Mark, Bopper is the injured one.

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
I'm glad Team Twinnie were eliminated, they were already worse that last time and the race had just started. Sad to see Bopper not make it, and the scenes from next week have me worried about Team Kentucky's chances long term.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Some one help me out here... what team did Mallory come from and why should I give a gently caress?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I forget his name, but Mallory ran with her Dad. I seem to recall a detour in Europe where they had to eat, like, 5 pounds of sausage within a ferris wheel ride. It actually looked impossible. When Mallory and her dad failed, she won my heart forever with this line:

"It's okay, Daddy! I'll just throw everything up and we can try again!"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Rachel is my #1 reality show contestant that I never EVER wanted to see again. I don't know if I could keep myself from strangling her if I were on the race. Soooo annoying.

Fake Edit: DAAAAAAAAA!

Risque Business
Dec 8, 2012
Seeing them team up Mark and Mallory makes me wish they did an entire season of all teams made up of total strangers.

Also hoping the cowboys give the express pass to John and Jessica just to gently caress with their heads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Whoo boy, the Twinnies really sucked this time. Bit of a shame, I love strong all-girl teams. But on that showing they really weren't strong. :(

Propaganda Machine posted:

I forget his name, but Mallory ran with her Dad. I seem to recall a detour in Europe where they had to eat, like, 5 pounds of sausage within a ferris wheel ride. It actually looked impossible. When Mallory and her dad failed, she won my heart forever with this line:

His name was Gary.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm glad to see the twinnies go out early, if only for the fact that they seemed way more high strung this go around, as evidenced when they yelled at Leo and Jamal for making jokes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I hate the Twinnies and Youtube most, so seeing them come in last and second-to-last was wonderful. Especially loved how the Twinnies were all "yeah we're not going to argue or make dumb mistakes or stress out this time" and then did all of those things, spectacularly imploded, and were gone first.

Hopefully Youtube is next, since they lasted mostly off of other teams making stupid mistakes on their season, and everyone seemed very competent (which you'd expect from race veterans) this time.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

CapnAndy posted:

I hate the Twinnies and Youtube most, so seeing them come in last and second-to-last was wonderful. Especially loved how the Twinnies were all "yeah we're not going to argue or make dumb mistakes or stress out this time" and then did all of those things, spectacularly imploded, and were gone first.

Hopefully Youtube is next, since they lasted mostly off of other teams making stupid mistakes on their season, and everyone seemed very competent (which you'd expect from race veterans) this time.

This.

So far, none of the terrible parts of any teams have really come to the forefront. I'm sure that'll change as teams get knocked out and there's more time to focus on the arguing teams and Cancer and Deaf and whatever else comes up.

A pretty good start to the season, if team Youtube gets eliminated early on this could be a really great season. Hopefully the challenges get harder though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I didn't dislike the Twinnies, but boy are they hard to listen to, and this premier was the distilled essence of everything bad about their team. When they began yelling in the Ferris wheel, I was thinking "no way can I take a full season, or even half a season, of this".

Thank heaven.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

KilGrey posted:

Luke trying to cheer for his mom when she was 300ft up in the air was one of my favorite things ever.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The nice thing about early episodes of this show is that there are so many teams competing for airtime that the odious teams aren't on long enough to get really grating, excepting the Twnnie Implosion, of course. But since that's the last we'll see of them outside of the previously next week and the finale, I'll take it.

Of course you also don't get much time with the teams you like, but since there's like two teams I'm rooting for that was pretty much inevitable.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Oh man the Twinnies went first? Would it be too much to hope Rachel goes next so I can watch this season and enjoy it?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Adus posted:

Oh man the Twinnies went first? Would it be too much to hope Rachel goes next so I can watch this season and enjoy it?

Amen. I might actually tune in after all if that happens.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Pretty good start to the season, with the Twinnies gone early, we just have to get rid of Youtube and possibly Brenchel and we're in for fun times. Speaking of Brenchel though, is it me or were they actually pretty tolerable so far?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
There's no team I want to see gone more than Margie & Luke. Granted, Rachael may turn into a blubbering mess of hysterics if the wind so much as changes without her permission, but I can take some measure of satisfaction in watching her have emotional breakdowns engaging in mundane, everyday tasks suffer.

Margie & Luke use his disability as justification for every slimy, unscrupulous thing they do and to bully other teams while simultaneously playing for sympathy.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Pretty good start to the season, with the Twinnies gone early, we just have to get rid of Youtube and possibly Brenchel and we're in for fun times. Speaking of Brenchel though, is it me or were they actually pretty tolerable so far?

Oh that's just due to lack of screentime from there being so many teams. Once the herd is thinned some, you'll see why some of these teams are so loathed.

Edit: vvv YEah, I remember Mallory being this bundle of positive energy. :sun: I think that once her and Mark get more comfortable with each other that they'll really gel as a team.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 24, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, my main memory of Mallory was how much of a good/positive attitude she had.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh that's just due to lack of screentime from there being so many teams. Once the herd is thinned some, you'll see why some of these teams are so loathed.

Don't you worry, I remember full well why Brenchel was the drizzling shits back in their first run, and they're likely in a good mood due to doing ok on the start. Is there anyone else aside from Youtube/Brenchel I should keep an eye out for, though, for general unpleasantness?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bladeworksmaster posted:

Don't you worry, I remember full well why Brenchel was the drizzling shits back in their first run, and they're likely in a good mood due to doing ok on the start. Is there anyone else aside from Youtube/Brenchel I should keep an eye out for, though, for general unpleasantness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCl00F76P98

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

:catstare: Jesus H, my blood is boiling already.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I was annoyed when I heard Brendon and Rachel were coming back, but getting to hear "The amazing race was supposed to be fun and good" one more time changed my mind. Even though they're awful, I kind of like having them there.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Youtube isn't really going to bring unpleasantness, that's the wrong word. They're pretty positive and don't really seem to fight with anyone or eachother. They are going to be bringing extreme levels of annoyingness though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Youtube isn't really going to bring unpleasantness, that's the wrong word. They're pretty positive and don't really seem to fight with anyone or eachother. They are going to be bringing extreme levels of annoyingness though.

Look at how crazy and wacky I am! Aren't I crazy and wacky! Look at me! I said look at me!

I've got my fingers crossed that they're next.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
What stinks about TAR is gimmick team casting has taken over. At least back when it was mostly athletically fit teams you had a sense that it WAS a race. Now it just feels like the only thing it's about is which team of goobers is going to screw up and have an argument for half the episode.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

DurosKlav posted:

Bopper nooooooooooooo :(

DurosKlav posted:

My room is a little dusty tonight.

I feel you, man. Everything with Bopper made me teary too.

Good return to the show, I feel. I think it's going to be a good season.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Last season of Survivor looked pretty bad ahead of time, but the first handful of boots got rid of the terrible people and it ended up being great. If Luke & Margie get out next week, we'll be on track for TAR as well. Also even though I like the Cowboys and some other teams are alright, Mark & Mallory for the win. How can you not root for these guys! Bopper :(

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I have to wonder what made them want to cut out the Detour from the show when the Roadblock was so fast and easy, with absolutely no teams having trouble or changing places.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The 5 backflip thing was terrible, a quick task with virtually no chance of failure or lead change, guaranteeing whoever was last after the Ferris wheel was eliminated.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The 5 backflip thing was terrible, a quick task with virtually no chance of failure or lead change, guaranteeing whoever was last after the Ferris wheel was eliminated.

Particularly bad given that the Ferris wheel was chance. At least they had a consistent pattern with the odd/even thing that people could figure out. In general, one of the worst parts of the Amazing Race is the random tasks. I'm not talking about tasks where the cast have to look at hundreds of different things and find a matching item, that takes a certain kind of skill. I'm talking unrolling hay bails randomness where the contestants have no influence whatsoever over whether or not they succeed.

In general, I think the greatest failure of the Amazing Race is randomness. People getting eliminated or surviving because of bad cars, delayed planes, crap taxi drivers. It's all bullshit. Unfortunately a lot of it is unavoidable (though honestly I'm of the opinion that flights shouldn't ever be part of the leg, and that contestants should have to drive themselves almost all the time), but the producers should do everything they can to eliminate the randomness related to task design.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The awful Ferris wheel task was on the australian amazing race, can't remember if it was season 1 or 2. It was even worse there I think, I don't recall teams having a good way to figure out which sections contained clues. Why you would copy one of the worst amazing race tasks, I can't imagine.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Zwabu posted:

It struck me as really dumb, too. Way too much room for delays caused by getting set up and other things that are no fault of the teams', for a task that was really easy. *maybe* if it was all new teams, but these ones know they have to do heights and wouldn't be here if they couldn't handle it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

LibbyM posted:

The awful Ferris wheel task was on the australian amazing race, can't remember if it was season 1 or 2. It was even worse there I think, I don't recall teams having a good way to figure out which sections contained clues. Why you would copy one of the worst amazing race tasks, I can't imagine.

:eng101: It was also in one of the season of the Amazing Race Asia, and in both of those seasons there were actual clues in the correct capsules meaning teams couldn't do what the teams in this episode did and just go in one that someone else got a clue in. I think there were only about 3-4 correct capsules, too, which meant it really sucked for later teams.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

LibbyM posted:

Why you would copy one of the worst amazing race tasks, I can't imagine.

At least it wasn't hay rolls.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Look at how crazy and wacky I am! Aren't I crazy and wacky! Look at me! I said look at me!

The sustained long take on YouTube Guy in the bridal store was great. None of the editors think that guy's funny.

:v: I can't find my size!

:v: White isn't my color!

[gong of disapproval]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Dark One posted:

I have to wonder what made them want to cut out the Detour from the show when the Roadblock was so fast and easy, with absolutely no teams having trouble or changing places.

No time, they already bare bonesed a lot of it this week trying to show stuff for every team. If it were a 90 minute or 2 hour episode they could have done it, but there's no way they could have fit a detour into it with this mny teams in it.

Also the team I hated the most is gone so I am happy :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

KilGrey posted:

Rachel is my #1 reality show contestant that I never EVER wanted to see again. I don't know if I could keep myself from strangling her if I were on the race. Soooo annoying.

Why, why, why did they bring her back. Sigh.

Also tearing up for Mark and Bopper. Poor guys.

• Locked thread