Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Aw, you skipped over what might be a very important point - the "friendly" realm soldier actually has his mask off on his overworld sprite.

One thing we can give this game - the characters aren't interchangable. Willy is a strong Mana believer in spite of everything he's been through but has nothing good to say about the realm, while Ryu still considers himself a Granz Realm citizen, even while he refuses to act as the "inside man" while he's intent on his revenge.

And Dark Lord is a complete badass with his swordproof skin, but his motives are the most nonsensical thing in the game. I think the point of that speech was to show how belief in the goddess was dying out - that is, no one believes in her Because the ruler keeps denouncing her worth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
He has no face mask on his sprite? I never noticed... When I get home, I'll look at my recordings and see if I can't produce a screenshot for it.

One of the things I do like about this game is that all the characters are very distinct, and for the most part, they do actually have subtleties to them. I was planning to bring it up in later updates, though, as we start getting into real development. Most of the characters are a lot better in the late game... Except Willy. (And my most hated character.)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hahaha, you got hit by the Jacka-

Serifina posted:

Oh, Willy. I really, really hate you. But Shei-kun's going to get to hate you more.
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Update 2a: In which Nina gets a tragic backstory

Alrighty, you've seen one intro, now it's time for another one! But first, we have to choose a character.

So, everyone decided on naming the staff chick after someone who sometimes uses a staff and sometimes uses a sword. I can get behind that.

This dream again... it's a nightmare... Oh, please don't make me see it again!

Again, it's a black backround, and you don't need to see crap like that.

Then the goddess appeared.
In her left hand, she held
the light of hope, and in
her right, the Sword of Mana.
The goddess summoned
spirits to assist in
the creation of life.
Finally, to maintain peace,
the goddess cast away
the sacred sword.
It is said the sword rusted
the moment it left her hand.
The goddess then stranformed
herself into a great tree
that would sustain and
watch over the world.
A mystical power guards
the sanctuary where the tree
stands to this day...

Mother, that was great! I felt as if I could see the Mana Tree itself.

Oh, you. Always exaggerating.

Strange... That's the first time I've heard that song, but it sounded so familiar...

There's an even better songstress in the world than your mother, you know.

Will I ever meet her?

I'm certain you will. You can count on it!

... Goodie!

Call me crazy, but I'm sure that's not how ellipses are used.

Alright, now. No more long faces. You know I'm not one for long goodbyes.

Mother... No crying, even if I'm going away on a long trip, okay? (Sniff) I don't want to be embarrassed.

I think YOU might be the one fighting back the tears. You always were strong.

I would... really rather just stay here. I mean, I love the people around here. But if I go out into the world, I don't think I'll like anyone. I guess I'm just a little uneasy.

Sweetie, there will always be people you don't like.

But... I don't want to dislike anyone.

Liking and disliking have something in common. Your heart speaks to you, and you try to understand one another. As long as you feel, that's what matters.

As long as I feel, huh... ? Mother... Did you take a long trip when you were my age, too?

That's right. I set off to see the world accompanied by a Mana Clan swordsman. Don't analyze so much! Go and say your goodbyes to everyone.

"Don't analyze so much"? What does that even mean?

Alright.

Mana Goddess, help me. He's here, too.

I heard all about him. He was really somethin'! Is he in the village yet?

I don't think so.

Wonder what he's like... I can't wait ta see 'im! But I'll bust out laughin' if he's some lame old geezer!

Oh, Willy.

Take care'a yaself, girl!

Mm-hmm.

Yeah, whatever. Are you done talking yet? We have cool people to meet.

Thanks for everything, Kaseem.

Bogard, the swordsman who will be accompanying you, is scheduled to arrive sometime today.

Does Sir Bogard travel all the time?

That's right. He's got important business all over the world.

It sure is great to have such an experienced travel companion!

:gonk: Nina, no!

Well, he's a peculiar man, so you won't be bored.

:cry: Noooooooooooooo!

You bet we do, Willy! I'm going to blame it on you, too!

Some guy's leadin' a bunch of soldiers, and they're headed this way!

... Oh. That's bad, too. Also your fault.

What?

That's... not a bunch of soldiers, Willy.

What can I do for you?

So this is the heretics' village.

Heretics?

Yes, even he's confused about this, just like everyone else playing the game.

Battles rage everywhere, but you seem to have a peaceful town here... Even though people are suffering elsewhere, YOU seem to be enjoying yourselves.

Not that business again! I'm sick of hearing it. You've been the cause of your own hardships. First of all, peace--

No, Kaseem, two dashes is not the proper response. The proper response is "Git off mah lawn!"

Preaching at me? How dare you preach at Dark Lord! You who monopolize peace and wealth, using Mana power for evil...

What is this I don't even

Don't push your luck, heretic! Get them! Arrest the heretics! Don't let a single one scurry away!

... Scurry? That's the word you're using? Seriously?

Nina has a cute little freakout here as his cloak starts billowing out.

Y-yes!

They run off the screen as the mystery man continues billowing dramatically. I think that's why he was hired.

Mother!

Run on ahead!

Why are you attacking the Mana Clan?!

You're getting your just desserts. You can't hoard Mana power alone forever.

Hoard...? Mana power flows in abundance everywhere. Your own country is full of Mana power!

It's like he's accusing the Mana Clan of hoarding air or something.

Don't waste your rebuttals on me. Dark Lord has already passed judgment. Eliminating your village is the will of all of Granz Realm.

Granz Realm is full of genocidal assholes? Who knew?

How could you...

(Don't listen to him! You escape while I hold him off!)

So Elise smacks his rear end with a spell that, in one shot, takes mystery man to his knees and immobilizes him for the rest of the goddamn scene. It was that powerful. This entire time, she has been able to do that, yet can't stand up. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

Tch! You'll regret this.

Run! Run away!

But...!

Get going! And... go find your real mother!

That's not going to be plot important at all! It totally is.

What?

No, it must be... Dark Lord! Elise! What's going on!?

I didn't want to tell you like this, but... This might be my only chance, so listen! I am not your mother! You have another-- She's your real mother! Quickly now! Bogard! Please take care of her!

We can't stop using exclamation points!

Count on it, Elise. Don't worry about her.

Oh, phew.

She's in good hands!

:colbert:

MOTHER!

And she just warps them out like that. And they appear next to the manor in the exact same way.

And this man's reaction to seeing his longtime friend appear with a very young girl out of thin air?

Sir Bogard!? What seems to be the matter?

So, this happens often, then? Most people would be more shocked.

Hermann! You must protect this girl!

Super abrubt scene change GO!

Nina bolts upright and stands on the goddamn bed.

My mother...!

Bogard told me... He said your village was under attack...

I have to get home! I-I have to save Mother!

I can't imagine how you feel... But your village is... It's not there anymore...

You're lying! You're just playing some cruel joke! It can't be true. It just can't be! I'm going home... Mother must be worried!

Oh, but... I'd bring back your beloved village if only I could... But I can't... All I can do is weep with you...

... So it's true? The village... Nothing's left!?

I don't know what really happened... But I do know that Bogard wouldn't lie. If it was indeed Dark Lord who attacked the Mana Clan as he said, then I suppose...

She guides Nina back to the bed, where Nina stands on it like the good girl she is.

He's talking to my husband, Consul Hermann. Oh, it's such a bad dream. A terrible nightmare.

I see what you did there, game.

But remember that you are not alone in this. We shall discuss this with Lord Granz tomorrow.

Let's go to bed now and get ready for tomorrow.

:(

This looks familiar!

What? What's wrong? Where's Sir Bogard?

There's no time to explain! Take her with you! Hurry! Go!

Who's this? Mom, what's going on?

Keep quiet! Just get going! I'll deal with them!

There is pounding on the door.

Open up!

One moment, please! I'm dressing for bed!

More pounding.

Go! Quickly!

Auntie!

No, Mom! You come, too!

You're a big boy now. Take care of her!

Alright, Ryu! This is your big moment! Say something inspiring and heroic!

:doh:

Prince Stroud is such a nice man. I'll tell you all about it later.

The soldiers then bust in and advance, and she takes a step back. It apparently wasn't Prince Stroud after all. Also, on this route, we don't know that Stroud and Dark Lord are the same person, yet.

It's important to note that in this path, we don't see Ryu trip. They just keep running until you press the button. They've got some incredible stamina.

Don't... make me watch... Noooo...

Then we see her in current day!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Heeheehee.

That dream again...

No matter what you do, that memory comes back to haunt you, doesn't it?

... It's all because I abandoned him... I left him and that family behind to die...!

What? No. He didn't even trip in your flashback dream. Where is this coming from?

Don't be ridiculous.

But...

Some things you can do by yourself, and others you can't. If you don't understand that, you're no different from Dark Lord.

Me? Like Dark Lord!?

That's kind of mean to say, there, Bogard. Nina is a pure and innocent princess.

That's right. You need to judge yourself rationally.

I want to know what happened to him...

If you think you can handle the truth, you should find out for yourself. What was that kid's name?

You'd think this would have come up before, but it apparently hasn't.

And now we've named him. He doesn't get to turn into a dragon on this route, either.

Ryu!?

...? You mean you knew Ryu!?

No, not really... He was the son of my good friend Hermann.

Really!? He was the kid from the estate!?

Yes, that's right. His parents were...

Were they killed...?

I can't say for sure... I didn't see how it all ended.

Oh...

Cheer up, Nina. They're probably doing just fine.

You are a horrible fortune teller.

Alright, then! It's time to get moving.

But to where?

You're sick of being haunted by the past here too, aren't you? Nina, you need to find the survivors of the Mana Clan. They've got to be hiding out somewhere. Keep your chin up, eh?

All right, Sir Bogard! I won't give up hope! But what about you?

Now that you mention it, I've got plenty to do. Alrighty! Time to get out of here. You've got folks to visit in Topple.

Okay. Sounds good.

Bogard then takes us outside and asks us if we can use magic. I say yes. He then... teaches us something special. Nina is so happy about it she does a little dance.

He then walks off after telling us to use the statues to save. Well, we've got our freedom, so...

Aw, yeah. Sittin'! Well, let's just go save. Statues of the Mana Goddess are sacred, so having one right next to the house should be a good omen, right?

Welp.

Has anyone else noticed something about young Nina yet? No?

That is NOT a child's figure :suicide:

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 8, 2014

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Those aren't sits, those are squats. Girls gonna have thighs like a rock. She's already got massive calves from toting around those giant boots everyday.

Also, once again, more story doesn't necessarily mean better story. Part of me can't get over how bad the character designs (especially the facial portraits) are compared to letting your imagination fill in an 8 bit black and white sprite. Just about everybody has a terrible haircut too, but I think Willy might just win the prize for the shittiest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ddegenha posted:

Those aren't sits, those are squats. Girls gonna have thighs like a rock. She's already got massive calves from toting around those giant boots everyday.

Also, once again, more story doesn't necessarily mean better story. Part of me can't get over how bad the character designs (especially the facial portraits) are compared to letting your imagination fill in an 8 bit black and white sprite. Just about everybody has a terrible haircut too, but I think Willy might just win the prize for the shittiest.
Depending on what classes you all vote for, she might end up having stats to reflect those muscles. Or not. :v:

Also, yeah, people look pretty silly in this game. If it isn't their hair, it's something else entirely.

Some, though. Some characters have portraits that demand respect. When they show up, you will know.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ddegenha posted:

Nina will crush Dark Lord's skull like sparrow egg between thigh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dark Lord actually believes his own propaganda, doesn't he?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glazius posted:

Dark Lord actually believes his own propaganda, doesn't he?

In fairness, he has a reason. But... There is, of course, a lot of stupid involved.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Serifina posted:

In fairness, he has a reason. But... There is, of course, a lot of stupid involved.
I think you just summed up the game's entire plotline.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It's been somewhere between 5 and 10 years since Dark Lord led the attack on Mana Village. When you take into account his attitude towards his father and his name ("Shut up, he's not my dad anymore! I'm Dark Lord now!") he was probably a petulant teenager at the time on top of any other explanations the game gives.

As for what Sir Bogard is up to in the meantime, I have my suspicions, involving another armored man with an epic beard.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Sorry about the delays, folks! I had to move, and most of my time and energy was taken up by that. Now that I'm settled into place, I can get back to work.

Expect a small update and something to vote for later today.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I guess that Ryu didn't trip in Nina's side of the story because it would have been a bit ridiculous to have two people trip and give the "go on without me" talk in the same flashback. I also always liked how being forced to fight for basically-Hitler's amusement isn't enough motivation for the hero, so the writers also gave him murdered parents. It's kind of a running theme how they tried to make a simple, yet functional story deeper and more expansive and managed to screw it up in almost every conceivable way.

Raiad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 18, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I never played the original and never finished Sword of Mana. I have some dim memories of it, mostly mixed, but I'll follow this along for a bit.

Personally, though, I'd ease up on the constant blasting of literally every single detail, Serifina. It kind of makes your comments not fun to read when it's nonstop ranting. :(

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Bonus Update #1: Stats, Levelling, and Classes!

Welcome to the Bonus Updates! Bonus Updates will be fairly short on the whole, and will feature primarily "other" information about the game.

Today, we'll talk about character stats, advancement, and classes.

So, to start us off, these are our heroes.

Stats are thankfully fairly self-explanatory, although the exact formula for how they're used is not explained (and I'm not sure if anyone's ever figured it out precisely.) Anyway, they are as follows:

Power: Increases physical damage.
Defense: Decreases physical damage.
Intelligence: Increases magical damage.
Mind: Reduces magical damage.
Agility: Increases the chance that you'll hit, and decreases the chance the enemy can hit you.
Hit Points: If I have to explain this one...
Mana Points: Used to cast magic. However, any amount that is not a multiple of 3 isn't very helpful. Support spells are always 3 points, attack spells are 6 points, plus 3 per additional spirit. More information on this will come with the Bonus Update for Magic.
Next: How much EXP is needed before levelling.
Lucre: That funny L with the two slashes through it. Lucre is what this game uses as money, which is slightly amusing if you know what Lucre means.
Day: The current day of the week. This mostly affects magic, but there are certain other things that are affected as well. Nina's day is Luna, while Ryu's is High Holy Day. I'm not sure what the "spirit" there is meant to be called, as this is literally the only place that sprite is used.

On the right, you can see all the weapons (Sword, Staff, Gloves, Flail, Sickle, Bow, Lance, Axe, and Mace) and all the Spirits (Wisp, Shade, Luna, Salamander, Undine, Dryad, Jinn, and Gnome.) Much like Secret of Mana, we'll eventually have access to every single one of these weapons and spirits, but with one small exception. There are 9 weapons, but each of our heroes only get access to 8 - Ryu does not gain access to the Staff, while Nina does not get access to the Sword. This actually favors Nina pretty heavily.

The numbers to the right of the weapon or spirit indicate how many levels you have in that particular skill. These are added directly to Power or Intelligence for determining damage, and Wisp's level is also added directly to the effect of the Healing Light spell. These actually go up pretty quickly, since you're expected to spread your time playing between each type. Spirit levels only go up when used for attack spells, not for support spells. Again, more info for that in the Magic Update.

As you can see, Ryu's starting stats are geared towards the physical, while Nina is actually much more balanced. This will only remain relevant for maybe the first ten levels. Both characters can excel in any role that is chosen for them.

When we get enough XP to level up, we see this:

In order to level up in this game, we have to do so manually. This is due to the fact that you actually get to choose precisely how you level up, by choosing one of six level up types. Each one adds 4 stat points and 8 points to HP or MP. This doesn't sound like much, but it adds up over time.

Here are each of the level up types.

Random does exactly what it suggests - it randomly distributes the points that you get. Yes, this can be save-scummed, but I'm not sure if there's a limit to how many points you can gain to a single stat at once this way, aside from the limit of 4 points to the stats in all.

There's actually another layer on top of this already fairly free-form advancement. As you level up, if you gain specific numbers of levels in certain types, you will gain a Class Title, which are roughly equivalent to Seiken Densetsu 3's classes. Both Ryu and Nina are able to gain any of the classes in this game. It is, in fact, a three-tiered system. The first class is gained at 5 levels in any one single level up type. From there, you can gain one of two branching Class Titles off that initial Title - these are gained at a minimum of 15 level ups, and the requirements are more specific. The third class title again branches off the second-tier title at a total minimum of 30 level ups, giving us a whopping 24 class titles in all.

code:
                                          / Tier 3 Class Title
                     / Tier 2 Class Title
                    /                     \ Tier 3 Class Title
                   /
Tier 1 Class Title
                   \
                    \                     / Tier 3 Class Title
                     \ Tier 2 Class Title
                                          \ Tier 3 Class Title

Each class title brings with it a specific benefit: Most increase a specific weapon attack's power, as well as a certain magical type. The magic types are also split into the support and attack spells, and each class is likely to only increase one of these two. Other benefits include an increase to critical chance, evasion, defense against certain kinds of magic, and, for the Thief route classes, an increased number of safe spots on the trap ring when opening trapped chests. The magic-specific classes also grant access to an extra-powerful spell attack for one type of spirit, which is mostly cool looking but also reasonably powerful.

Very importantly: Once you gain a class title, you can never gain a different class title of the same tier, or switch to a different branch.

With a grand total of 6 Tier 1 classes, 12 Tier 2, and 24 Tier 3, that's too much to fight with and try to do repeated votes for. Also, gaining class titles at a decent rate requires some level up planning, so, as of right now, you may vote for one final class for each of Ryu and Nina.

Unfortunately, NPCs (which includes Nina in my game and Ryu in Shei-kun's game) level up automatically and you can't control how they improve. Classes are for your main character only. Also unfortunately, I won't be giving you the full 24 to choose from.

Here's the deal: Whichever class is chosen, we will do our best to wield the primary weapon for that class, and primary magic for that class. We can't stick to that 100% of the time, due to how the game is constructed, but we will otherwise do our best to focus on what the class is geared towards. However, that said, because Gnome, Luna and Salamander are worse than useless, and the Sickle is a horrific weapon that I cannot stand, the four classes most associated with those are off-limits, leaving 20 choices.

Please choose one class for Ryu, and one class for Nina. Do not choose two from the same category. Last time, we ended up with two knucks specialists, which, while amusing, was somewhat limiting on showing things off. I've got the classes grouped into three categories, so please don't choose two from the same one. Also, do not feel constrained to choose physical for Ryu and magical for Nina - they will, in fact, be quite good at whichever class they end up with.

Here is the class list:

The primarily physical classes:
Paladin: Sword/Staff, Healing Light, Wisp attack
Warlord/Warmaiden: Sword/Staff, Healing Light
Weapon Master: Sword/Staff, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Gnome attack
Duelist: Sword/Staff, Shade attack
God Hand: Knucks, Healing Light, Wisp Attack
Warrior Monk: Knucks, Healing Light
Dervish: Knucks attack, Luna attack
Death Hand: Knucks (yes, only a bonus to knucks... but it's a huge bonus)

The primarily magical classes:
Grand Diviner/Grand Divina: Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Ghome/Wisp Attack, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Ghome Defense, Undine 8 Spirit Hit
Arch Mage: Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Ghome/Wisp Attack, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Ghome Defense, Jinn 8 Spirit Hit
Bishop: Wisp/Luna/Salamander/Undine/Dryad/Jinn/Gnome Defense, Healing Light, Wisp Attack, Wisp 8 Spirit Hit
Sage: Wisp/Luna/Salamander/Undine/Dryad/Jinn/Gnome Defense, Healing Light, Dryad Attack, Dryad 8 Spirit Hit
Dark Shaman/Dark Shamaness: Shade/Luna/Salamander/Undine/Dryad/Jinn/Gnome Defense, Healing Light, Shade Attack, Shade 8 Spirit Hit

The Other Classes (mixed/all rounder):
Nomad: Accuracy, Critical Hit, Bow, Luna/Dryad Attack, Easier Treasure Box Trap Rings
Rogue: Accuracy, Critical Hit, Bow, Flail, Easier Treasure Box Trap Rings
Ninja Master: Accuracy, Critical Hit, Evasion, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Gnome Attack, Easier Treasure Box Trap Rings
Odin/Vanadis: Lance, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Gnome Defense, Wisp Attack
Starlancer: Lance Attack, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Gnome Defense
Dragon Master: Lance Attack, Salamander/Undine/Jinn/Gnome Attack
Fenrir Knight: Lance Attack, Shade Attack

Remember, choose one for Ryu and one for Nina. Just a warning, some weapons and spirits do take quite some time to get, so don't be discouraged, we'll do our best to show off the chosen classes properly.

Also, for those classes that don't have a specific weapon bonus, you may choose the weapon. Except the sickle. Seriously, the sickle is a terrible weapon.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 21, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

theshim posted:

I never played the original and never finished Sword of Mana. I have some dim memories of it, mostly mixed, but I'll follow this along for a bit.

Personally, though, I'd ease up on the constant blasting of literally every single detail, Serifina. It kind of makes your comments not fun to read when it's nonstop ranting. :(

Don't worry! Much of future updates will in fact be lighter - there's just a lot frustrating in the opening. The Best Character in the game appears in the next story update (even if it's not my favorite character, 'cause that's Amanda). And I really do enjoy this game, even if it doesn't seem much like it yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I really liked the levelling system in this game, as I recall. It was a fun amount of customization without the ungodly farming for promotion items that SD3 threw at you :argh:

I'm gonna vote Odin Ryu (because seriously, Odin) and Warmaiden Nina.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Man, had I known God Hand was one of the classes in this game, I would've voted for the guy's name to be Gene. :sigh: Oh well, God Hand Ryu and Warmaiden Nina.

EDIT:

Serifina posted:

Amusingly, the first attempt at this LP, God Hand is what was chosen. However, please choose only one from the physical category - change one of your votes to something else, please.
Alright, missed that. Voting for Dark Shamaness Nina armed with a lance.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 20, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Carlioo posted:

Man, had I known God Hand was one of the classes in this game, I would've voted for the guy's name to be Gene. :sigh: Oh well, God Hand Ryu and Warmaiden Nina.

Amusingly, the first attempt at this LP, God Hand is what was chosen. However, please choose only one from the physical category - change one of your votes to something else, please.

theshim posted:

I really liked the levelling system in this game, as I recall. It was a fun amount of customization without the ungodly farming for promotion items that SD3 threw at you :argh:

I'm gonna vote Odin Ryu (because seriously, Odin) and Warmaiden Nina.

Yeah, it really is basically the best parts of SD3's classes... Well, without the extra fancy attacks, anyway. Oh well. Can't have everything! But it is a nice system and allows for a lot of variation in what you play, since the different specialties definitely play differently.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dragonmaster Nina
Warlord Ryu.

If that drat category restriction wasnt there I wouldve liked Ninja master Ryu.
Theres some extra perks with the thief classes that make things less tedious in some respects.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 20, 2014

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ninja Master Ryu. Really, those Polter Boxes are annoying.

Dark Shamaness Nina. I want to see what the mega Dark attack looks like.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You might have wanted to list what base classes each one comes from/what the general benefits are for them, just to give people an idea. I'd like to have a thief class in there for at least one, personally, and I don't remember much of anything in regards to what does what.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I'm all for Dragonmaster Nina, and for Weaponmaster Ryu.

And wow, these aren't roughly the same as the classes from Seiken Densetsu 3, these are exactly the same classes as Seiken Densetsu 3.

theshim posted:

Oh, the farming wasn't THAT bad... I mean, I only gained about 10 levels each playthrough looking for seeds.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I vote for Bishop Ryu and Ninja Master Nina.

Also, I know we use it negatively nowadays, but Lucre just means profit, surely?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If that drat category restriction wasnt there I wouldve liked Ninja master Ryu.
Theres some extra perks with the thief classes that make things less tedious in some respects.

theshim posted:

You might have wanted to list what base classes each one comes from/what the general benefits are for them, just to give people an idea. I'd like to have a thief class in there for at least one, personally, and I don't remember much of anything in regards to what does what.

The only additional benefit that I'm aware of is that the Thief classes (of which only three are available: Nomad, Rogue, and Ninja Master) is that it makes the Treasure Box trap rings easier, adding additional OK chances. Otherwise, I've already listed what the final classes give bonuses to - and those bonuses are always inclusive of the lower-tier benefits. Honestly, the treasure box benefits are all right, but not really all that major, but I'll add that info to the class info in the update.

Ghostwoods posted:

I vote for Bishop Ryu and Ninja Master Nina.

Also, I know we use it negatively nowadays, but Lucre just means profit, surely?

The default definition when you do a search for it practically refers to it as blood money. (Money acquired in a dishonorable or distasteful fashion.) It just seems like an odd and somewhat amusing choice, given that nearly all the Lucre acquired in this game comes from monster kills.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Current standings on the vote are as follows:

Ryu:
Odin 1
God Hand 1
Warlord 1
Ninja Master 1
Weaponmaster 1
Bishop 1

Nina:
Warmaiden 1
Dark Shamaness 2
Dragonmaster 2
Ninja Master 1

We'll leave the voting open until sometime tomorrow. However, right now there's a massive amount of ties going on - and in the event of a tie, we'll exercise executive authority and just choose between them. You don't want us to get to pick, do you?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The seventh mystery day icon is the Mana Goddess, it's Mana Holy Day. Still does for both Shade and Wisp what the other days do for their spirits.

I vote Warlord Ryu and Dark Shamaness Nina.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
I didn't realize back then, but this was the game that made me question where this series was going with itself. It went weird places after this...

Anyway, I vote for Ryu the Ninja Master and Nina the Dragonmaster. Double mastery, between ninjas and dragons.

Tajuh
Jul 15, 2012
I vote Ninja Master Ryu and Dragonmaster Nina.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Voting is officially closed.

Ryu will imitate another man who bears the same first name, becoming a Ninja Master.

Meanwhile, Nina will follow the call of destiny and become a Dragon Master, learning how to stab all the things with a lance.

There's only one problem. Ninja Master does not have a dedicated weapon bonus. Therefore, the he will wield the next weapon voted for. Gimme a vote, people! Do not pick Lance or Sickle.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The giant flail. You know, the one that takes five minutes per attack.

On a more serious note, the chains thing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SIGSEGV posted:

The giant flail. You know, the one that takes five minutes per attack.

On a more serious note, the chains thing.

I think you were thinking of the Mace. Which does kinda suck but not as much as the sickle. I like the chain better, though. Chain it is! (Edit: Which is totally called the flail, for the record.)

Serifina fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 24, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wooo, Dragonmaster!

I was gonna be totally okay with either one, but it'll be neat to have more versatility. I may not one-shot bosses, but I'm still gonna trivialize the poo poo out of everything to the best of my ability.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Awesome to see you two picking this back up again! I have an inordinate fondness for this game, and how open leveling and classes are. I just wish that there was a bit more, say, balance to how useful some classes are, compared to others? Glad to see lances are gonna be a thing though :neckbeard:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Just chiming in to say that I'm glad this is back :)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, I wasn't honestly even trying and I broke the game already. I can't wait for Serifina to post her updates so I can show you all :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just discovered that you are LPing this game again, sad that I missed the vote. :(

I can just confirm what others said, they tried to flesh out the characters and their motivations in contrast to the original and made it all worse, it's quite sad. Of course FFA was my very first RPG I ever played as a kid, so I have a special fondness for the game (played it about a dozen times), so perhaps I cannot objectively judge the remake. At least the music remakes are rather faithful to the original (which had the very best music on the Game Boy).

Now, the gameplay itself is much improved over FFA. The magic system, actual leveling of the weapons and spirits, different classes, more varied enemies and better boss fights (in the original nearly all bosses would just move in a set pattern through the room, and the really hard bosses would sometimes throw projectiles at you!). On the other hand they removed one of the most awesome (and loyal) party members from the original (actually a Final Fantasy icon), and gave us... Willy? A bad deal.

So I played through Sword of Mana only twice (once for each character), and I cannot remember, is the ASK command still in the game? I cannot recall ever using it, so it's probably gone :(

Anyway, I'm really glad this is back, looking forward to the next updates.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Speaking of the next update, I AM working on it. It's just been a busy week and I'm still trying to get a balance on everything.

Torrannor posted:

So I played through Sword of Mana only twice (once for each character), and I cannot remember, is the ASK command still in the game? I cannot recall ever using it, so it's probably gone :(

Completely gone. There is no ASK command at all, which sucks, because some of them were really good. The girl's, Lester's, Marcie's were all awesome. (The crazy dwarf's was all right.)

Also, the removed companion you mentioned - do you refer to the red mage or the chocobo? Because I have a number of words on both that will eventually come up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serifina posted:

Speaking of the next update, I AM working on it. It's just been a busy week and I'm still trying to get a balance on everything.

Completely gone. There is no ASK command at all, which sucks, because some of them were really good. The girl's, Lester's, Marcie's were all awesome. (The crazy dwarf's was all right.)

Also, the removed companion you mentioned - do you refer to the red mage or the chocobo? Because I have a number of words on both that will eventually come up.

Well, my reaction to the red mage is :argh: I am speaking about our trusty Chocobot of course.

You have words about both of them in later updates? I'm looking forward to it :allears: (I hope one can use that emoticon in a non-ironical way)

A shame about the ASK command though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This game's story nearly drove me to tears of anger even when I was a teenager, just because of how goofy it is.

Ryu: Oh yeah I tripped and she left me, getting me captured. I FAILED TO PROTECT HER!

Nina: I left that boy all alone even and was clearly selfish though we were being hunted down by armed soldiers. I FAILED TO PROTECT HIM!!!!!

It's not even that the characters have doubts, it's just dropped on you with all the subtlety of Mike Tyson breaking your jaw. And Dark Lord's name is that like a bad comic book supervillain. Strap in kids, you haven't seen the dumbest of it yet.

PS: Willy is and always will be, a loving twatwaffle.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 29, 2014

• Locked thread