Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
An Unexpected Encounter at the Grateful Golden Plum!
A Map! | An Aspect Tracker!

Yue snags the end of Meiling's wet coat and tangles it around the other dancer as they fight. Meiling slaps at Yue, pushing her away as she tries to get herself free. "Still fast enough to beat you!" The fight is devolving into something a bit less graceful and impressive as Meiling tries to pull on Yue's hair to get her to fall off her perch.

Fat Dragon doesn't even bother to block Hong's attack. The man has a jaw that could crack stones, and does a number on Hong's knuckles. "And fighting you is like fighting a strong breeze - all it does is muss up my hair and waste my time!"

Zhu Qiang catches the Old Man's arm in a perfect lock, clearly catching him by surprise. He tries to pull free, getting nowhere, squirming, flailing, and eventually ending up with his feet braced on Zhu Qiang's bicep as he tries to extract his trapped limb. It's not going well.

The Red and Black Lions are reeling from their losses, but they don't give up easily! The launch another volley of projectiles at their assailants, aiming at the doctor and the carpenter in an attempt to keep them occupied so they don't go after the rivals instead.

From above, the Assistant Subadministrator's shrill voice filters down again. "What are you idiots doing? You aren't supposed to fight them yet! You need to get out of there, dammit!" Fat Dragon looks up, pursing his lips as he considers this.

Notes
Spectator: Yeah, you got another invoke onto your style, remember you can only invoke a given aspect once per roll though! Also Hwang is Jianghu Rank 1, though barely.

Defense vs Yue's advantage! It's a tie so Yue will keep her existing boost and add a new one.
[22:21] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+-/+3 = 2

Meiling attempts to place the advantage Bad Hair Day on Yue, but...
[22:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /-/-+3 = 1

Defense vs Hong! Fat Dragon no sells that like a champ. He might actually be less hurt now than he was a moment ago.
[22:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++/++3 = 6

Defense vs Zhu Qiang! The old man fails spectacularly. That advantage has two free invokes!
[22:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ---/+3 = 0

The Old Man tries to break free of the grip but fails at that too.
[22:29] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ---++4 = 2

There are not as many Red and Black Lions left, but they focus on the opponents who took down their comrades!
vs Zhang: [22:34] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +--++3 = 3
vs Xu Lei: [22:34] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -++/+3 = 4

Shu Li, Dr Zhang, and Xu Lei are up again!

pre:
INITIATIVE
Yue (+4)
Meiling (+4)
Hong (+2)
Old Man (+2)
Zhu Qiang (+1)
Red & Black Lions (+1)
----
Shu Li (+0)
Dr Zhang (+0)
Xu Lei (+0)
Lucky Hwang (-1)
Fat Dragon (Last)
pre:
Fat Dragon PS OXOO | MS OOO | [-2/-4/-6] | Chi Armor 1
Meiling PS OOO | MS OOO | [-2/-4/-6] | Chi Armor 1
Old Man PS OOO | MS OOOO | [-2/-4/-6] | Chi Armor 1

Lucky Hwang PS OOO | MS OOO | [-2/-4] | Chi Armor 0
Red & Black Lion Toughs PS XX | [Tabled/Scattered/-2/-4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei
Stress: OXO

Athletics! -//+ +3 = 3, will use my last free invoke on Table Flip Technique to make it 5.
Now to cross the water and into Zone 6: ++-+ +3 = 5.

More spears and arrows. Xu Lei is getting sick of these cowards trying to pin him down. If they want a fight, he can take it straight to them!

As he runs towards another group of Lions, he lifts up a table and hurtles it right towards them. The arrows and spears pin down the table instead, and cause it to fall harmlessly down the water with a splash. Meanwhile, Lei hops deftly across the stones in the moat and, as soon as he reaches the kitchen, grabs some pots and pans as a shield against the thugs!

Creating Kitchen Shield in Zone 6: -//- +4 = 2.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 29, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 3/2 XOOO/OOO Chi Armor x1

Zhang moves quickly to help finish off the last of the grunt soldiers, leaping across to the next group of Lions and tables. As he approaches several of the Lion make preliminary attacks, which Zhang is more then happy to turn back against them, using a series of clever sweeps and redirections to send their attacks right back at them!

Fight!: 4dF+3 1
Tagging See No One Raindrop to make that a 3

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

Constable Shu is forced to release his grip on Lucky Hwang's collar to avoid the sword coming towards him. The blade is slapped down into the water with his palm, stopping it before it can make contact. Li doesn't relent, though. He follows the block with an immediate two-handed strike to Hwang's body, a crushing open-hand blow with all of Li's strength and weight behind it.

Fight attack: (--//) +0
Ugh, not good. Oh well, I'll wait to see what Hwang's defense looks like before I bother trying to salvage it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Lucky Hwang manages to get his sword around to block Shu Li's mighty blow, using the wide blade like a shield. The constable hits hard enough to shove Hwang up and partly out of the water, the blade ringing like a cymbal. He kicks wildly with his feet, getting just enough momentum going to land on the kitchen shore, where he scrambles to his feet. "Hurry up! We need to get out of here before more constables show up! Meiling, quit playing around!" Indeed, now that the place has mostly emptied out and several of the gang members are down, you can now here ringing bells getting closer.

Dr Zhang leaps over the scattered one on one fights of Stone Dogs and Red and Black Lions, a stalemate that has been going on in the background the whole time. Several of the constables are down, but more of the gangsters. You'll have plenty of prisoners to interrogate no matter what. The beautiful Doctor flings himself into the midst of a so far unengaged group, managing to get them tangled up with each other trying to attack him.

Fat Dragon looks back down at Hong and shrugs his beefy shoulders. "Sorry, but we'll be at this all day, and we've got things to do." He throws a heavy sweeping blow at Hong, but it's just a feint to force his opponent to keep back. The big man turns, nearly slips on the wet stones but recovers, and leaps across the water to land next to Lucky Hwang, cracking tile and making utensils leap off the counters as he lands. Hwang falls over again, but Fat Dragon helps him to his feet. "Next time!"

Notes
Spectator: Yeah, you got another invoke onto your style, remember you can only invoke a given aspect once per roll though! Also Hwang is Jianghu Rank 1, though barely.

Defense vs Shu Li's attack! Lucky Hwang gets a boost out of it - An Extra Bit of Momentum.
[10:13] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, /+-++3 = 4
He then attempts to get up onto the shore in Zone 6. He uses the boost to succeed and get out of the water.
[10:13] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, -///+2 = 1

Red and Black Lions defend vs Zhang! It's a tie so Dr Zhang can place a boost.
[10:14] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, //+/+2 = 3

Xu Lei's roll is enough to get a boost.

Meanwhile, Fat Dragon tries to disengage as well. First the throws a feint at Hong, trying to place the aspect Iron Curtain Defense on him.
[10:18] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, //+-+3 = 3

The he tries to leap over to Zone 6. Spends a fate point to reroll and manages to get a boost out of it too - Elephant Leap Technique
[10:17] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, -/--+4 = 1
[10:17] <Krysmbot> Chorebash, ++//+4 = 6

In game terms, the opposition is going to be Conceding the fight soon. The main rivals will be able to escape - they've got the stunts and fate points to pull it off unless you come up with something really crazy - but the more damage you do this round before they flee, the more stuff you get.

Yue, Hong and Zhu Qiang will be up!

pre:
INITIATIVE
Yue (+4)
Meiling (+4)
Hong (+2)
Old Man (+2)
Zhu Qiang (+1)
Red & Black Lions (+1)
----
Shu Li (+0)
Dr Zhang (+0)
Xu Lei (+0)
Lucky Hwang (-1)
Fat Dragon (Last)
pre:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ifll@place "Your Other Left!"

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Zhu Qiang

"Ho, old friend. The youth of today certainly have their vigor about them, don't they?"

Qiang grins, showing more teeth than pleasantness, and slowly, carefully lifts his rival's entire body above his head. A quick glance around shows the closest target is to the north, a viper-faced young lady bothering Yue, the young lady from the town center.

"My apologies for cutting our fight short." Qiang leans back, then heaves to send the old man flying at Yue's opponent! "I shall see you again, so bring your fists!"

(8:27:34 PM) Velyoukai: rolling will or something to throw an old man at a fat guy or something
(8:27:37 PM) Velyoukai: !r fudge +4
(8:27:37 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, //+- +4 = 4
+2 from the grasshopper aspect thingy.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

"Hey! After all the times you've made fun of me for quitting, the hell is this!?" calls Hong. "Seriously! NEXT TIME!"

He shakes his fist at the retreating Dragon. "WE SETTLE THIS, DAMNIT!"

KPrime, -+/-+4 = 3 Rapport to place Come At Me Bro on Dragon for next time. NEXT TIME!!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

[21:32] <Ridley>: !fate +10
[21:32] <Morphball>: Ridley: 9 = 4dF(-,x,+,-)+10
Using everything at once - pretty girl in a pretty dress, only sure footing, and my boosts on Meiling, for a dramatic effect!

"Ugh! You're TOTALLY not fast enough to beat me, Meiling!" Yue cries, her ribbons encircling the other girl's wrist. A twist, made possible only by Yue's superior footing, and her rival is sent through the air to crash into the old man who has similarly been thrown, and sending both opponents tumbling into the water. Then, Yue pauses to catch her breath -- a vision of loveliness, a delicate flower amidst the waters.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Fat Dragon waves at Hong. "I though I'd deal you a dose of your own medicine for once! The speedy Centipede left in my dust for once!" He laughs, but the set of his jaw tells Hong they'll face each other again before too long.

The dancer and the Red Mountain Demon fling their opponents at the same moment, sending them crashing into each other with a startled yelp from Meiling and a slight widening of the eyes from the Old Man. Tangled together, they crash down into the pond with a tremendous splash. Yue catches Silver Cloud watching her out of the corner of her eyes. He lets his sword droop for a moment, entirely distracted, then has to duck as a stray arrow nearly hits him.

After a moment, a spluttering Meiling surfaces and swims to the edge, clambering up onto dry land with some help from Lucky Hwang. She slaps his hands away, the wiry man stepping back with palms raised defensively. Meiling brushes her hair out of her face, looking not unlike a half-drowned cat. "Cheating harlot! This isn't the end, you hear? I'll show everyone just how ugly and clumsy you really are!" Fat Dragon risks her ire and literally picks her up, starting to carry her out of there as she struggles and continues to shout curses at Yue.

There's no sign of the Old Man - until a dumpling bounces off Zhu Qiang's head. When he looks up, he sees the Old Man looking down through the hole in the roof, silhouetted against the twilit sky. He nods to his old foe once more, sticks anther dumpling in his mouth, then turns and walks away.

As their leaders fall back, the Red and Black Lions loyally stage a counter-attack, screening their retreat! They bunch up and rush Zhang and Xu Lei in mass, trying to push them back to the edge of the pond and prevent anyone else from getting into position to pursue!

Notes
Old Man's defense!
[21:49] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 3 = 4dF(+,+,-,-)+3

Meiling's defense! She uses her last invoke on Stone Skipping Across the Pond as well..
[21:33] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 3 = 4dF(+,-,-,-)+5
She has to take the Moderate consequence Thoroughly Humiliated.

Meiling uses her action to get out of the water in Zone 6. The Old Man uses his stunt We're Done Here to exit the scene for free without conceding - though he can't come back for at least three scenes as a result.

The Red and Black Lions keep up the pressure, acting as the rearguard! Rather than attack, they try to place the aspect Driven Back on their targets. If it succeeds, they immediately invoke it to shove them into the water.
vs Dr Zhang!
[22:14] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 5 = 4dF(+,+,-,+)+3
vs Xu Lei!
[22:15] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 3 = 4dF(+,-,+,-)+3

Don't forget that the gang is a mob, meaning the consequences they have are shared across all zones they occupy!

Dr Zhang and Xu Lei and Shu Li are up!

pre:
INITIATIVE
Yue (+4)
Meiling (+4)
Hong (+2)
Old Man (+2)
Zhu Qiang (+1)
Red & Black Lions (+1)
----
Shu Li (+0)
Dr Zhang (+0)
Xu Lei (+0)
Lucky Hwang (-1)
Fat Dragon (Last)
pre:

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 10, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei
Stress: OXO

Athletics defense: +/-- +3 = 2, invoking my Kitchen Shield boost to raise it to 4.

Xu Lei grabs a whole load of pots and pans, tossing them straight at the goons to keep them at bay! They think they could push him down with numbers? He's learned better since those days, helpless against the bandit raiding his village. And besides, he's not alone this time.

"Help me out here!" He shouts at the kitchen staff, as he flings himself towards the demoralized Lions. "You can't just let these thugs do as they please!"

Invoking Tabled and Scattered for my Fight attack at the Lions: +/-+ +6 = 7. I'll spend my last fate point on Irate Staff and raise it to 9.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 3/2 XOOO/OOO

Fight dodge!: 4dF+3 1
Dear lord. I'll eat the hit, but consume Chi Armor to give myself Armor for the attack.

Zhang takes several hits as he ducks when he should've dodged, but then manages to hit them back when they go left instead of their other left!

Fight!: 4dF+3 3
I'll use my boost Your Other Left to make that a 5

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

"Stop!" Constable Li barks, clipped but formal. He bulls through the water leaving eddies and whirlpools in his wake.

"You are..." Both hands clamp onto the side of the pool, digging into the broken kitchen tiles.

"Under arrest!" With a mighty heave, Li throws himself into the air, a fist-first dive aimed right at Lucky Hwang.

First things first--Physique to leave zone 2: (-/+/)+3
Fight attack on Hwang: (+/-+)+3
I'll use my free Stubborn Dog Form invoke to make it +5.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xu Lei's cascade of cookware drives the Red and Black Lions back, and then they're bowled over as the staff hits them in the flank. Zhang deals with the rest, twisting and maneuvering the gangsters into each other and counter-striking with devastating precision.

Ever the lawman, Constable Li launches himself from the pond, water spiraling out from him, before he drops like a comet towards the gang leader. Hwang hops back, whipping his sword free of its scabbard and interposing the flat of the blade between them just in time. With an awful crack, the blow snaps the weapon in two, sending the sharp portion spinning off to embed in a post and the hilt off to strike another gangster out cold. Lucky Hwang himself, though, is thrown back, heels skittering across the tile floor, knocking gang members and cooks over like pins, then crashes through a window. He disappears from view, and a moment later there's a shout and a thump as he hits something other than the river below.

Fat Dragon watches as Hwang slides past, then lumbers over to the now open window. "Ah, good, a boat! Excellent work, Hwang!" He tosses Meiling unceremoniously out the window as she screeches in outrage, then begins to clamber out himself. He turns back to shout, "Next time won't be so easy on you!" When he jumps down, there is a splash and more yelling as the boat is unbalanced.

By the time Shu Li manages to push through the melee of restaurant staff and last few gang members, the boat is already disappearing into the river traffic. Just then, a squad of Copper Boar constables burst through the doors. In moments, the last few Red and Black Lion still standing are swarmed and pulled down.

Between Wei and Li the Copper Boars are quickly satisfied that you are the good guys, especially once Clear Skies and his retinue make their way over to join you.

"I haven't had that much excitement in years!" The older man says, waving a twisted knobby hand around. "Clearly our opposition has put together their own group to shadow you. That's good, actually... it means they think they'll have the matter in hand, and won't pay too much attention to it."

"Now, where were we - ah, yes. Silver Cloud and Hawk-Eyed Jun will explain in more detail what we know, and what we can do help. Good luck." He waves his cane about and walks off. Constable Wei bows and follows him.

Silver Cloud lingers, looking you over. "That was very impressive! I read the files my father had on you, but even so..." He smiles. "We are in your debt. I think this is the beginning of something important, and I think we have found the right people for it." Hawk-Eyed Jun glances at him for a moment, then nods in agreement. Both bow.

"Did you have any questions for the moment? There are some things we can show you, but that will have to wait for tomorrow," Hawk-Eyed Jun says.

Notes
Lions defense vs Xu Lei
[19:02] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /---+2 = -1

Lions defense vs Zhang
[19:02] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+--+2 = 1

Hwang defense vs Shu Li
[18:56] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++++3 = 7

And that's the end of that! For your troubles, since you took out the regular gang members and chased off your rivals, everyone gets two Fate points! You also get the aspect Minor Heroes with one free invoke. You managed to capture a large number of the Red and Black Lions too. You'll get some information from them. Lucky Hwang escaped, but the gang's strength is largely broken for the moment. The rival group currently has the consequence Undermanned.

Also, since you've now been brought together as a group, your as yet-unnamed Jianghu society can gain a stunt and will have a group Fate Point available to it. If you have any suggestions we can talk it over in the OOC thread.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 18, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As a quick note, this combat is over and you have until tomorrow morning free, and it's still pretty early in the evening. You can stop Hawk-Eyed Jun or Silver Cloud and ask a few questions if you want, or do other things!

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang

"Hmph, not a bad warm-up, at least."

Qiang sighs and bends over to hold onto his ankles, stretching out the kinks and aches from his old muscles. With a groan, he stands up straight again and joins the others to receive Clear Skies' words. Throughout the official's brief speech, Qiang remains stubbornly quiet, munching on his newly obtained dumpling and chewing its stick between his teeth until the group is left visibly alone.

"Suppose that's one way to start a job. Good showing, youngsters."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

"You know, I'd call this more than just shadowing." Xu Lei says, still airing out the smell of the kitchen from his clothes. "Sounds like you all had friends on the other side."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Realized I sort of left you guys hanging so I edited the last post. Silver Cloud and Hawk-Eyed Jun are still hanging around to talk.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

"Now, where were we - ah, yes. Silver Cloud and Hawk-Eyed Jun will explain in more detail what we know, and what we can do help. Good luck." He waves his cane about and walks off. Constable Wei bows and follows him.

Silver Cloud lingers, looking you over. "That was very impressive! I read the files my father had on you, but even so..." He smiles. "We are in your debt. I think this is the beginning of something important, and I think we have found the right people for it." Hawk-Eyed Jun glances at him for a moment, then nods in agreement. Both bow.

"Did you have any questions for the moment? There are some things we can show you, but that will have to wait for tomorrow," Hawk-Eyed Jun says.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zhang returns, hair slightly ruffled from the first. Somehow it only seems more attractive.

"In my defense I sincerely don't know who ANY of those people were. Yue, I don't suppose you could introduce me to the pretty gal who seemed to know you?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Yue winces at the carpenter's use of the word "friend", and, feeling miserable, shakes her head in reply to the doctor. "I'm not very good friend at all," she sighs. "I bet Meiling won't ever want to be my friend now, after I dumped her in the water in front of everyone."

The fact that Meiling openly loathes Yue seems to be completely lost on the young dancer--lost, or she's willing to overlook it entirely.

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

"It's only water," Constable Li observes stoically, though perhaps influenced by the fact that he himself is soaked head to toe. Small puddles form beneath him as he stands with parade-perfect posture, ignoring how unconventionally soggy his uniform is. "I'm not entirely sure she was disposed to consider you a friend before hand though, if it's any comfort.

"It seems our adversaries have the initiative on us," Li comments to Hawk-Eyed Jun. "I'd like to see everything you have on them... If it's not too much trouble. I can check it against what the Iron-Clad Bureau knows. Although as Xu Lei here said, maybe some of us know more that they could share?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

Hong stands, looking rather drier than most, but also vaguely put-out. "Freaking jerk stole my line!" He smiles widely. "I guess that worked out, though..."

His gaze, though it appears open and unthreatening, is constantly in the direction of Hawk-Eyed Jun.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Xu Lei looks at Yue with concern. "Well, I'm sure it will turn out that there was a big misunderstanding with her. You can patch your friendship up when you meet her again!"

He looks up to the hole in the ceiling. "It does sound like we'll meet them again."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Post coming tomorrow, I accidentally left my notes in Florida and my brother won't be able to scan & email them to me until tomorrow. Feel free to ask questions or banter if you'd like!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The rest of the evening manages to be uneventful, save for a late night thunderstorm that some of the uneducated peasants in the city seem to consider an ill omen.

As the sun begins the warm the next morning, you reconvene with Silver Cloud at a small shrine in the Tailor's Quarter, an unremarkable, middle class neighborhood. The shrine is empty, apparently having been cleared by some pre-arrangement. Hawk-Eyed Jun sits under a willow tree, with a portable desk, so intently reading her numerous documents she doesn't even look up when you arrive.

Silver Cloud is leaning against a stone pillar with a meditative poem carved into its face. As you arrive, he greets each in turn, being particularly affable to Dr Zhang, inquiring about his search for a new clinic and making a few suggestions, though its clear the privileged young man has little experience with such things, and visibly brightening when Yue makes her appearance.

Once everyone is here, he claps his hands and retrieves a lacquered box from next to the pillar.

"I know you've all heard how the heir disappeared while leading a punitive raid against barbarians on the Western frontier." He carefully opens the box, sliding the top back to reveal a broken sword in a velvet case. The blade catches the light brilliantly, finally causing Jun to raise her head.

"That is a lie. She disappeared from here, this very shrine. We don't know why she was here, but she brought five of her bodyguards with her. They were attacked by someone, we don't know who. The survivor didn't live long enough to tell us much. My father managed to secure control of this shrine. He and his best investigators looked searched it again and again, but could find no leads that didn't dead end. The Emperor directed a secret search be undertaken, but after two years it was given up. The heir had disappeared completely."

"And then, only a week ago, this appeared. It is her sword. It was delivered, in this box, to my father's offices. We traced it back, but it simply appeared in the courier's daily deliveries, as if from nowhere."

"We think it is a message, that she is not dead. My father explained why we cannot search openly, but we hope you might provide a fresh perspective on the matter." He gestures to the grounds. "The shrine has been left as it was, as much as was possible. Jun has all of the reports and records of the investigations. And we even have the... remains of the bodyguards, if you wish to examine them."

He places the box carefully on the ground. "I know that the trail is likely cold after so many years, but we have no where else to begin. I also have seen you in action. You have skills beyond those of ordinary people."

Silver Cloud bows. "I am at your service."

Notes
I'm going to try something from a different game. This will work a bit like a brainstorm from Atomic Robo. Each of you may pick a skill and describe a bit of investigation you're doing. Whoever rolls highest, as long as they beat a +3, will get to establish a Clue (or a Fact) as an aspect. Then everyone will roll again, with the new difficulty equal to the highest roll of the prior pass (or +3 again if no one beat that score). The highest successful roll again establishes a fact. We do that one more time. Then, finally, everyone rolls one more time and the highest roll gets to form a hypothesis about what happened.

This a chance for you guys to direct the story a bit. You can make up the clues, and they will be true. The hypothesis at the end will direct what I do next for the adventure.

Just about any skill could potentially work. Chi could let you tap into the spiritual energies of that day, to speak to spirits or feel the echoes of the fight. Maybe determine what techniques the attackers used. Notice, Investigation, or Crafts might spot tiny missed details (Notice just by seeing something odd, the others in more detailed deduction). Investigation can also work on the documents Jun has brought. Rapport could dredge up something from Silver Cloud or Jun they didn't realize was important - or could work on the reports, as you read between the lines of dusty old reports and catch a subtext no one else saw! Be creative!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

"Can I see the sword?"

Xu Lei takes broken blade from its case. He looks at the broken pieces and tries mentally figure them out like a puzzle.

"I'm no smith, but I've seen a smith work when I used to fix his hovel every week."

Let's start this off with Crafts: /+/- +4 = 4.

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

Li sighs. Five years... What clues could remain after so much time? There was nothing he can do but try, though.

"If I could see those records, it would be most helpful--everything you have, whether it seems important or not. One can never tell what small detail might unlock a greater pattern." But in the meantime...

The Iron-Clad constable brandishes a short, pointed stick of polished wood, and begins with a meticulous inch-by-inch examination of the shrine. Occasionally he prods or lifts something with care using the polished stick, taking the greatest pains to leave everything undisturbed even as he examines the physical surroundings.

Investigation for the roll: (//-/) +3
Dang, oh well, not me this round.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang

"Hm, an interesting blade, young Lei."

Qiang moves to Xu Lei's side and joins the lad in examining the blade, though his eyes search for the tell-tale traces of Chi rather than make or style. To the naked eye, the sword comes across simply as the broken child of the forge, and even to his Chi-honed eyes, there appears to be nothing amiss with the steel. Yet, perhaps stoked by the appearance of his ever-ready to fight rival, the flames of Qiang's suspicions flare.

Qiang hums, then releases a brief surge of Chi with a harsh kiai. "Spiritual Technique of the Owl: Bishamon's Evil Eye!"

(8:02:22 PM) Velyoukai: !r fudge +3
(8:02:22 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, -/// +3 = 2

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

Hong sidles over to Jun. Not letting her out of my sight.

"Soooo... I know you're the Empress of Information, here. Why doncha lay out what you think is important t' me? Buddha, anything that seems off, anything at all? I don't know a thing about all this, I was sorta... busy. Missed a lot of news."

KPrime, /+--+5 = 4 Rapport with Jun

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zhang tries to help investigate the area, but frankly, he's somewhat terrible at it.

Investigation: 4dF+2 1

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

Yue frowns. She's not actually that good at this sort of investigation. If they could investigate openly, she might use her charm and easygoing ways to ask around, but the proscribed nature of this leaves her at a bit of a loss.

passing this round

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hawk-Eyed Jun watches Hong with a surprising intensity. Probably where how she got her name. She nods, glances at her notes, and considers for a moment. "The fight here was very short. The guards were overwhelmed quickly and mercilessly. But the Emperor's heir was protected by some of the best. It's hard to imagine a large force could have hidden here unnoticed, which means whoever attacked them was either exceptionally skilled or had some other advantage." She proceeds to describe the state of the place when it was found, pointing out on diagrams who and what was found where.

She has a rather unusual accent, a bit nasal. Hong can't really place it.

Silver Cloud watches Xu Lei work for a few moment, but he's no craftsman. He wanders over to where Dr Zhang and Yue are standing. "We have the remains here, and the autopsy reports if you'd like to review them, doctor." He shrugs. "Or, we could go and get some tea. We didn't let many see what had happened here. Unfortunately with the politics now, I was only able to bring one of the original investigators, and a soldier who had helped to clean things up. And the woman who initially happened on the scene. She's a painter, I think. I've had them wait at that tea shop over there," he points to a nearby building with a green tile roof. "It's not a very good one, but poor tea is better than no tea."

Notes
Xu Lei and Hong tied so they both get to establish a fact they have uncovered in their investigations! Please name it. Also, round two! Same as the first, but now need to beat a +4.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Yue beams at the offer of tea. "Tea sounds wonderful! I can help ask those people questions, too, so that will work out quite well!" She may be a little naive, but it adds to her charm - sometimes people are more willing to answer things openly to someone with not a trace of guile.

[09:28] <Ridley>: !fudge +2
[09:28] <Morphball>: Ridley: 2 = 4dF(-,+,x,x)+2

A crappy rapport check to do some questioning.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

"This sword is interesting." Xu Lei suddenly pipes. "Old Zhou does good work and I know how far he bends his blades when he forges. The way this blade's broken into twisted pieces tells me that wasn't destroyed in the heat of battle. I'm sure my lords realize it, but if the damage is intentional, and I doubt the princess would break her own prized, then Someone Else Sent This Message."

He uh, leaves the remains of the blade to Zhu Qiang for him to kiai over. Lei suspects foul play has taken away the princess, but from who? He moves to check the structure of the shrine for signs of struggle.

Crafts again! -/+- +4 = 3. I can raise it later if no one else hits 5.

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

"Excellent observation, Lei," Li nods, impressed. "I've been able to confirm what little we know about the shrine itself, but either there is nothing new to find or time has washed it away.

"If you could let me see those reports and records that would be most helpful," he asks Hawk-Eyed Jun. "It may not turn up anything new either, but in a case like this we need to be thorough. Perhaps some tea could be brought in? I would be most appreciative, this may take some time."

Investigation again: (+//+) +6

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

"Some other adv- Wait." Hong looks at a gouge in one of the walls. He leans close and sniffs, looking at a slight discoloration or stain in the cut. "Merciful Buddha. Gu poison." He looks at Jun. "Whoever fought here was using Gu poison. That stuff would let one man fight an army, if he was careful... a single cut would kill in moments. I thought no one left knew the secret of its preparation..."

He turns to Jun. "I need to see a list of names of people who would have had access to this room. The man who told me about Gu poison-" my father "-also said that only a few this far north would know anything about it. Perhaps one of the other men he named is on that list."

Krysmbot KZA, +++/+4 = 7 Rapport!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hawk-Eyed Jun looks back and forth between Hong and Shu Li, then busies herself in her files. She hands Hong a list - longer than he'd hoped to see, but he's looking for very specific names, so it shouldn't matter. To Shu Li she hands a think folio. "A summary of our findings, with annotations to the relevant documents. Let me knows which you need to see more detail on." She turns back to Hong. "Gu poison? I thought it was a myth!"

Silver Cloud stares at the sword. "But what message is it supposed to send? Obviously that they have her, but why did they break it? Is it a warning?" He shakes his head. "Why wait so long?"

He promises to bring back tea, and goes with Yue to the shop. The magistrates turn their noses up at the dancing girl, but the painter is happy to chat, and even asks to do a portrait of Yue. She doesn't seem to know much, though. She just came upon the scene of a fight and ran to get the constables as soon as she stopped shaking.

Notes
Hong gets to present another fact. One more round of investigations.

pre:
Facts
Gu Poison, Someone Else Sent This Message

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Yue is flattered in the extreme and is perfectly willing to pose for a portrait - but just now, she has something a bit more pressing.

"Is there any chance you could describe for me the scene of the fight?" she asks the artist. "I know it can be frightening to stumble on that kind of thing. Were the fighters still there? Did you see what they looked like or what they were wearing?"

[22:06] <Ridley>: !fate +3 empathy
[22:06] <Morphball>: Ridley: empathy: 2 = 4dF(+,-,x,-)+3

trying to use empathy to coax the artist into remembering. Apparently poorly.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

"If they're sending a message now, then something has changed. Or least, that's my guess." He needs more than just a guess, though. And the only physical clue he has is with the broken blade. Wait...

"I need to focus." Lei takes a few seconds to breathe in and out, focus his mind. If something else has happened to this weapon, maybe he can sense it with his chi...? Master Long would certainly do better than him on this regard. But Lei has to try. He can't let the Emperor's daughter down!

Rolling chi to find some supernatural curse in the blade: +-+/ +3 = 4. If no one makes it to 8, I will definitely invoke a few aspects. (Master Long says: "Work with humility and diligence." and (Second) Finest Craftsman in the Jianghu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

Hong flips through the list, looking at both the copy Jun was given and the original list. "I don't recognize anybody on thi- wait."

He points to a name. "'Jia Xichun.' That's not a real name. It sounds right but if you look at the original they've written the character for 'false' instead of the character for 'spring.' The copy they gave to you has 'spring,' probably because the copyist didn't realize... but with that corrected, that name means 'Treasuring Falsehood.'"

He sighs. "What would a guy with a name like that be doing in here, eh?"

Hong gives the room one final glance-over, but his tired eyes fail to spot anything further.

KPrime, -///+2 = 1

• Locked thread