Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Zhu Qiang FP: 0 -> 1

Even as his body remembered to ride along with his young allies away from the bandits, a long-simmering, long-waiting redness continued to wash over Qiang's heart and mind. The redness had long festered inside, held back by Qiang's patience and concern for children, children now lost, taken, kidnapped by the very same caliber of scum that chased them now! It raged inside, consuming all of Qiang's patience and sensibility, until everything washed away, leaving only the group of young heroes, their pursuers...

...and the Great Red-Mountain Demon.

"Hng, such foolishness!" Qiang scowled, immediately slowing his horse and turning round to their immediate chasers. He glowered to the spirit-beast of the swamp, sharing a look of equaled frustration and cautious respect, before charging directly to the horsemen, directing an even blacker glare to them as the Great Red-Mountain Demon's chi crackled to the surface.

"You dare?!" The Great Red-Mountain Demon roared, chi surging to life behind him. "You dare pursue the Great Red-Mountain Demon, you vermin?!"

Compelled by Retired Vigilante
Rolling Chi to apply [Do Not Pursue Qiang!]
(7:54:15 AM) Velyoukai: !r 4df+3
(7:54:17 AM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, /+-/+3 = 3
nyaooooron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

Hong spots an opportunity, and rides his horse through a gap in the trees. His hand darts out, too fast to follow, and Hong speeds on.

The branch he rigged to slap the next rider to pass in the face stays.

KPrime, /-/++2 = 2 Deceive to set up Hundred Branch Slap

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 1/2 XOOO/OOO

So. He was back.

"Leave the monster to me! It cannot be defeated so easily by physical means! Just keep those dogs and barbarians off my back!"

Zhang lets his mount fall behind, directly into the path of danger alongside the old man. But while Zhu Qiang was focused on scaring off the mundane threats, Zhang was focused on the stranger foe beside them. He closes his eyes, and remembers his training.

"Chi flows. It does not . It is as water, as rain, as a flood. Hold it back, and it will burst free and drown those who thought to control it. Repeat: I shall not confront chi as an enemy, but shall accept its mysteries as gifts to be cherished. Nor shall I crudely seek to bend and break it as one would unforged iron. Instead I shall gather it as the tree gathers the breeze. The wind shall blow and I shall bend. The sky shall open and I shall drink my fill"

Zhang lets his eyes flutter open, then, with great purpose, guides his horse directly at the monster, and, pulling a needle seemingly out of nowhere, directs it into a chosen place, then strikes a pressure point with two fingers. Not a pressure point that would cripple it or wound it. Or even hurt it. No, this has one goal: to open the target's mind and body. The sky shall open, and I shall drown you in it.

I move to the Rear and attack the monster's mental track using...chi! I dunno if that's allowable though. If not I'll change it. Also, do we still get the free chi roll for chi armor?

Chi attack!: 4dF+3 1

Compelling Student of the Storm-Eyed Sifu, and then immediately spending that fate point because Orokos hates our group, thus making it a 3

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 27, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
That's fine, and yes you get to make a free roll for Chi. Difficulty is +1.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 2/2 XOOO/OOO

Chi Armor: 4dF+3 1

Christ why do I bother rolling

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

Yue holds on tightly to Silver Cloud, focusing her chi to create chi armor. "Those bows are bad news!" she cries out, happy to pretend the monster's not even there. Eugh, what even IS it? Better the doctor than her. Then, she begins to weave her ribbons into a beautiful pattern in the air--one meant to keep any stray arrows off.

[01:50] <Morphball>: Ridley: chi armor: 2 = 4dF(x,+,-,-)+3
[01:52] <Morphball>: Ridley: athletics: 3 = 4dF(x,x,x,-)+4

Just going defensive this round.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A Thrilling Chase Through the Woods!
The horses thunder down the narrow path, everyone jostling for position as the chase begins. For the moment the heroes have a narrow lead on their immediate pursuers. The main mass of barbarian horsemen are still losing ground, but they haven't lost the trail yet.

Silver Cloud bends low over the saddle as he urges his big warhorse on, as Yue weaves a defense behind them. Xu Li casts his trap behind him, but it simply goes off imediately. Not quite what he intended. Hong's simpler attempt seems ready to pay dividends, however.

Qiang's stand causes the nearer group of raiders to scatter to avoid him, thought the form up as his charge passes. Better leave the crazy old demon-priest to the others. They choose to instead focus on another target - Hong. Dodging around Qiang means they can't quite catch up, and their shots are hurried and inaccurate.

As he turns his horse back, the dog pack rushes in at Qiang. His fearsome presence seems not to phase them as they leap and snap at him, eyes rolling with fury.

Meanwhile, Dr. Zhang falls back to engage the abomination. Chi flows through him, and he can feel it pushing against the foul beast's will, but his battle is not against only the monster, but it's master. For the moment it presses on, even as the flow of energy begins to turn against it.

It leaps at Dr. Zhang suddenly, flying nearly ten feet through the air as its massive, jagged claws slashing as it leaps over horse and rider before landing, barely breaking stride.

Suddenly Jun shouts form ahead. "DUCK!" A glance in her direction shows the scribe taking her own advice, as she passes under a fallen tree that forms a head-high barrier across the path. You'll be passing under it in a moment.

Notes
Spectator, where art thou?

Xu Li fails to meet the difficulty to place his trap. Hong does manage to place his as a boost. Yue places a defensive aspect.

I think the most sensible for Qiang is to place his aspect on the nearer group of horsemen, which he succeeds with style on because they rolled for poo poo (this shortly becomes a theme for them).
[20:52] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/-+ = -1

Defense vs Zhang's Chi attack. I use one of my scene FP to reroll, and get a tie, so the Doctor places the boost Rain Threatens.
[20:53] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -//-+1 = -1
[20:53] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+/++1 = 3

None of the opposition guys got any Chi armor. Their rolls were so atrocious I'm not even gonna bother.

Raider Group One fails at life! They fail to move forward, and fire some arrows at Hong, attempting to place the aspect Duck and Cover on him.
Drive to Move Up: [20:55] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, //--+2 = 0
Shoot vs Hong: [20:55] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+--+4 = 3

Raider Group 2 however is made of sterner stuff. They move up to the Rear and place the aspect Hail of Arrows on the Front.
Move up: [20:59] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+//+2 = 2
Shoot: [20:59] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/+++4 = 5

The dogs go after Qiang - they aren't the ones he scared off. They get a +1 for mobbing up, even at a lower rank, due to a stunt. It's a straight attack in this case.
[21:01] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -++-+3 = 3

The raid leader rolls to place an advantage on both groups of of horseman (again, a stunt), and nails it. Both get My Life for the Horde! with two invokes.
[21:03] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++++2 = 6

The monster makes an attack on Zhang! No extra shifts from weapons if it manages a hit.
[21:05] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/+-+4 = 3

Finally, the chase scene makes a special attack. It places a Roadblock in the Lead zone. If you move into the lead this turn, you need to defend against the attack below. It will move through each zone, attacking everyone in it (including the bad guys) until it falls off the end.
[21:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +///+3 = 4

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Xu Lei only catches a glimpse of the old man's colossal chi aura. Such impressive skill. He wonder what it takes to become that much stronger.

His trap doesn't do any good, so he doesn't have a lot of options in this chase. The wilderness on horseback doesn't give him much chance to wield construction material against these barbarians. Well, he does have these bag of nails (why wouldn't he have a bag of nails, he is a carpenter), but how to throw them in a way that would lay waste of these bastards.

He gets an idea. After all, if that guy's charging up so much chi, he's got to bleed them off in some way...

"Hey, old man!" He tosses the bag of nails backward. "What can the Mountain Demon do with these?"

Rolling Crafts to give Qiang a Bag of Nails. +-+/ +4 = 5. That should do it.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang FP: 0 -> 1

"Well met, Xu Lei!" Qiang roars, riding ahead of his pursuers slightly to meet the flying bag of nails. His hands light up with the raging Chi beneath his flesh, then lash out as his horse passes by the bag. A sound similar to crackling lightning fills the air, followed by a barrage of Chi-infused nails that spread behind him to waylay the path of the approaching horde.

Defending against dogs with fite
(11:21:24 AM) Velyoukai: Qiang defends vs horde
(11:21:24 AM) Velyoukai: !r 4df+3
(11:21:24 AM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, +/+-+3 = 4
whacha
Working with Xu Lei to place [A Field of Dire Nails] before the horde's horses to try to trip/knock them awry.
(11:25:20 AM) Velyoukai: Qiang Chi roll vs horde
(11:25:20 AM) Velyoukai: !r 4df+3
(11:25:20 AM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, /+//+3 = 4

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

"Tch!" Hong's hands lash out, catching the hail of arrows in either his palms and deflecting them with his sleeves. "I hate arrows! They're so impersona-" He shuts his mouth. "Gah! YOU CAN HAVE THESE BACK!"

Hong slaps a branch and falls back, riding in parallel with one of the archers. As the archer spots the incoming branch and begins to duck, Hong reaches over and, with all speed available, begins pinning him to his saddle by his clothes!

KPrime, //+++3 = 5 No aspect for them!
KPrime, +-+++1 = 3 Chi Armor (I forgot)
KPrime, +/+/+3 = 5+2 =7 from the boost to try and take this guy out!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 2/2 XOOO/OOO

Athletics Dodge!: 4dF+2 3
Chi attack!: 4dF+3 4

I'll tag my boost to make that attack a 6!

Zhang narrowly avoids the monsters swipe as his horse whinnies loudly, then reaches forward and, with the scent of rain stating to fill the air, jabs two fingers again directly into it's pressure point, trying to open it's chi channels and reconnect it to the world!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Ugh! These people just WEREN'T GETTING IT! Couldn't they see that she was trying to enjoy a ride with the gallant and handsome and gentle and altogether wonderful Silver Cloud? How is she supposed to do that if they're going top speed and dodging arrows?!

A bit of a twist and a flip, and she's sitting back to back with Silver Cloud, and from there, she has the right angle to start catching some of these arrows.

If these fools are going to shoot at her, she's going to shoot back!

[10:51] <Morphball>: Ridley: athletics snatchin' arrows: 8 = 4dF(+,+,+,+)+4

She forms her ribbons into a makeshift bow - the shooting kind, not the other kind - and starts returning fire at these, these THUGS.

[10:55] <Morphball>: Ridley: fight with arrowses: 0 = 4dF(+,-,-,-)+2

It's...maybe not all that effective, since she's having a hard time with the aiming part. But drat it, they need to leave her alone!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As the chase continues down the path, Qiang and Xu Li work together to cast makeshift caltrops in the path of the onrushing raiders. They try to swerve out of the way, taking the risk of losing ground. Hong's makeshift trap slams into one of the archers, launching him from his saddle. The other two press in, drawing their curved swords to attack, though Hong use his stolen arrow to pin one to the saddle through his leg! The man howls in pain, but it gives the other a chance to take a wild swing at Hong.

Dr. Zhang continues to battle the beast. The creature's hide is hard and slippery, some sort of insect like shell. Truly, the creation of this thing is crime against nature. There's a jolt of energy as his blow hits the pressure point, a deep sense of wrongness that sends chills up Dr. Zhang's spine. The beast emits what can only be called a scream of anger and pain, its eyes rolling and turning red with blood. It lashes out with its claws, trying to tear the offending arm from its owner.

The other group of archers duck Yue's return fire, then return fire themselves. There's a proper archery duel brewing here. Their leader joins in as well, urging his mount forward and firing a black arrow at her.

"Heads down!" Silver Cloud shouts as the group just behind Jun passes the fallen log. Ahead, the trail splits, one side rising a bit higher. Jun takes the lower path, hoping that maintaining speed will overcome the advantage of higher ground.

Notes
A Map! | Aspect Document

The Dire Nails aspect gets placed on both groups of riders.
[20:16] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-//+3 = 3
[20:16] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +--++3 = 3

The archer Hong attacks defends!
[20:16] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -++/+3 = 4

The Beast defends vs Dr. Zhang, and takes a little stress for its trouble.
[20:20] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --+/+4 = 3

The archers also defend vs Yue. At least it isn't a success with style, eh?
[20:20] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++++2 = 6

The Beast attacks Dr Zhang! +1 stress on a hit.
[20:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/+/+4 = 6

The dogs try to place the aspect Tripped Up on Qiang!
[20:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +--++2 = 2

The raiders Hong attacked draw swords and slash away at him! They invoke My Life for the Horde to make it a 4!
[20:24] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-//+2 = 2

The other group of archers fires on Yue. They also invoke My Life for the Horde to make a 4.
[20:25] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /--++3 = 2

The leader also fires on Yue after moving up closer.
[20:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +///+2 = 3
[20:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++--+3 = 3

And everyone in the Front (Yue, Xu Li) needs to defend vs 3 to avoid crashing into the obstruction! As a note you can invoke Jun for a +3 against this attack, though she has only one free invoke.
[20:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --+++3 = 3

Also an aspect is placed on the scene - Split Trail.
[20:41] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /--++4 = 3

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

[23:04] <Morphball>: Ridley: athletics to do dodgery of obstaclations: 4 = 4dF(-,x,x,+)+4

Yue twists around, ducking her head and hanging on tightly to Silver Cloud. "We have to get clear of these guys! Somehow!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Athletics against the obstruction! +//-+3 = 3. Is that enough?

Xu Lei ducks down from a set of branches only in the nick of time. He doesn't know how much longer he can keep with this pace. Ugh, forget just running away from them.

"Let me bail you out, old man!" The carpenter slows his horse enough to keep pace with Qiang and the raiders. He moves adjacent to a nipping dog, makes a quiet prayer for dear life, and swings out of his saddle just briefly enough to throw a kick at the beast's nuzzle!

Moving to the rear and attacking the dogs with Fight! /+++ +2 = 5.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A tie vs the hazard will lead to the boost Unbalanced being placed on you, but no stress.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang FP: 1

Qiang eyes the horde of dogs nipping at the heels of his horse with rough dismissal, despite his horse's brewing nervousness and Xu Lei's attack. He digs deep and coats his hands with the power of his inner Jin, then turns it from neutral to negative as he flashes the aura of power before the wild creatures.

"Hmph, it has been a long while coming since packs of mongrels were sent at me." He grumbles, before pulling closer to Xu Lei's horse and nodding to the young man. "A fine show of force. We must continue to show them their folly, boy."

(2:02:14 PM) Velyoukai: Qiang Defend vs [Tripped Up!] w/ Chi
(2:02:19 PM) Velyoukai: !r 4dF +3
(2:02:19 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, ++-/ +3 = 4

(2:11:08 PM) Velyoukai: Qiang Apply [Cowed by Power] to dog horde w/ Chi
(2:11:12 PM) Velyoukai: !r 4dF +3
(2:11:13 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, +++- +3 = 5

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong

"Hoy!" Hong leans back hard, avoiding the sword-swings by a narrow stroke. "Rude! I'm just trying to help you stay on when you hit that log! If you want to be that way- FINE!" He grabs the pinned man's head and slams it into his saddle-horn, hopefully disorienting him enough that the nails will do the rest.

KPrime, ++-/+3 = 4 TIE (they get a boost)

Counter!
KPrime, +//-+3 = 3 attack, invoking DIRE NAILS to boost that to 5

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 2/2 XOOX/OOO

Fight dodge!: 4dF+3 3

Zhang is too focused on trying to attack the monster to properly dodge and takes a meaty chunk of a swipe as a result! Seeing the incoming branch and suddenly taking inspiration (and trying to avoid the monster who just drew blood), Zhang spurs his horse away from the monster and towards the archers, and begins kicking out at them, not really attempting to hurt the beasts but instead disrupt them enough to lead the raiders into the trees!

Athletics (Storm Rumbles in Distance; place aspect): 4dF+4 2

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 5, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xu Li joins the growing scrum following Silver Cloud and Hawk-Eyed Jun, lashing out at the war hounds. The big animals nimbly leap aside, trying to swarm Zhu Qiang again, but his imposing presence makes them shy away, and the branch forces them to scatter. Still, one of them stays close enough to the carpenter to try and bite a chunk out of his leg.

Hong knocks his opponent out cold with his attack, and the man falls out of the saddle, foot catching in the stirrup. His horse shies, trips on the caltrops, and goes down - and the rider behind doesn't have time to avoid the pileup. The barbarian is thrown from his own horse as it falls and crashes into a tree with a disturbing thump.

It's immediately echoed by the crack of another rider's skull impacting the low branch as he fails to duck in time while trying to draw a bead on Hong. His horse continues to run alongside the others, riderless. The other two fire hurried shots at Hong while their leader shouts invective at them, to no avail.

Dr Zhang moves in to flank the archers, drawing their attention away from Hong for the moment. While he is looking the other way, the beast dodges into the brush alongside the road - and disappears.

Silver Cloud calls over his shoulder to Yue, "We need to do something to lure the main group away! We can deal with this forward group, but if the rest of them catch up we'll be in real trouble!"

Notes
A Map! | Aspect Document

The dogs defend against the attack, but do get the aspect applied to them.
[20:31] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++++2 = 6
[20:32] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+/++2 = 3

Hong takes down one of the group of raiders!
[20:33] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/+-+2 = 1

Dr Zhang gets to place his aspect.
[20:34] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-/-+2 = 1

The dogs attack Xu Li!
[20:43] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ///++2 = 3

The archers fire at Hong.
[21:04] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +--/+3 = 2

The beast... disappears from view for the moment (places the aspect Out of Sight on itself).
[20:44] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++-++3 = 5

The leader tries to place an advantage for his remaining minions and bombs the roll. So use up a fate point to try again and don't succeed.
[20:44] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --/-+3 = 0
[20:45] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /--/+3 = 1

And everyone who started this round the Rear (Dr Zhang, Hong, Old Man Zhu) needs to defend vs 3 to avoid crashing into the obstruction! As a note you can invoke Jun for a +3 against this attack, though she has only one free invoke.
[20:35] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/+/+3 = 3

The baddies also defend vs the branch. The dogs get the boost Scattered placed on them. One of the raiders in the remaining group is taken out. The beast and the leader both avoid the branch easily.
[20:38] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+//+2 = 3
[20:38] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/-/+3 = 1
[20:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, ++-++4 = 6, +/-++4 = 5

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

"We should leaad them away from the others!" she cries. "The two of us could lose them, and then meet back up with the others later!"

She's sure that this is a good plan because it will get her alone with the handsome and gallant Silver Cloud.

"Hey, you big snot-nosed dummies! Over here!" She waves both arms at the pursuing jerks.

[23:28] <Morphball>: Ridley: Yue is bad at provoking.: 2 = 4dF(x,x,+,+)+0
[23:28] <Ridley>: And adding +2 for LOOK AT ME being compelled and subsequently invoked!
[23:29] <Ridley>: Hell
[23:29] <Ridley>: and 2 more
[23:29] <Ridley>: for her world-oysteriness
(So that is six and I am down a FP)

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 10, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong
()(X)()
Hong turns to taunt the falling raider and gets smacked upside the head with the branch. "DA!"

Swinging round, he takes out his anger on the next archer in line. "Seriously, just give up!"

KPrime, /-/-+3 = 1 defense (ow)
KPrime, /++/+3 = 5 attack

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 2/2 XXOX/OOO

"Watch out - the beast is gone, and I don't know where! It might - " "WATCH OUT!"

Athetics vs BRANCH: 4dF+2 2

Taking heed of Jun's waring, Zhang ducks just in time to avoid the obstacle! As Yue taunts and Hong attacks the archers, Zhang tries to fend off the dogs and get rid of them once and for all!

Fight!: 4dF+3 2
Tagging the dogs' aspect to make it 4

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei
Stress: OXO

Athletics defense: TurninTrix, +---+3 = 1. I take two stress.

"Whoa!" Xu Lei raises his leg in time to avoid a vicious bite, though that still feels too close for comfort. "These mongrels aren't a joke!"

He twists again to kick the dogs on the face, though he hopes to stun them this time, rather than outright hurt them. Let the others take the chance to strike while they're open.

Fight to create a Stunned advantage: TurninTrix, +/+/+2 = 4.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Velyoukai you're up.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang FP: 1

With the mongrels properly cowed and being handled by Xu Lei, Qiang turns his attentions to the more immediate cause for concern. Wretched banditry, worse than outright criminals by only the barest margins! Weak-willed and bullied into their crimes, they were the ultimate source of Qiang's disgust and fury.

He slowed his mount's gait just slightly, pulling alongside one of the fools that dared to shoot at his fellows, and lashed out to wrap a bulky fist through the scum's reins. "You seek to challenge us, boy? Then earn your right to glory!"

(8:43:44 PM) Velyoukai: Fight for crazy old Qiang to drag a dude through with him [Dragged Through Hell!]
(8:43:48 PM) Velyoukai: !r 4df+3
(8:43:49 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, +-//+3 = 3

(8:39:27 PM) Velyoukai: Crazy old man Qiang Defends against Nature w/ Physique + Mountain Does Not Fall!
(8:39:30 PM) Velyoukai: !r 4df+4
(8:39:31 PM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, //-/+4 = 3
drat the gods, ride through it, Qiang!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Posts coming tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, a family member was in the hospital this week and I had a job interview (it went well) so I'm behind.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Silver Cloud nods at Yue's suggestion. "Good thinking!" He waves at Jun until she turns to look at him, then he calls, "We'll meet up again soon!" He takes the next split in the trail, while Yue uses her ribbons to disturb the forest to either side to make it seem as if more riders took this fork.

Meanwhile, Xu Lei twists around on the back of his horse, holding on with hands made strong by years of work with adze and saw, and launches a flurry of kicks at the yipping and snapping muzzles of the war dogs. The resistance of their prey sends them reeling, and leaves them easy pickings for Dr Zhang, who rushes in from the side. A few well timed blows leaves the dogs sprawling in the trail in the wake of the riders.

Zhu Qiang engages the leader of the barbarians, riding close and grabbing hold to force the man into the oncoming obstacle. The man is a wiry bastard, with a face as worn as the hills the Red-Mountain Demon calls home. It is told that the Northern barbarians practice a sport of wrestling from atop galloping mounts, and Zhu Qiang now suspects there must be some truth to the tale, for the raider engages him with an unusual but effective technique, slippery holds and unbalancing shoves that threaten to knock the old man from his saddle. So intent on the struggle is the raider that he almost forgets the oncoming branch. He ducks just in time to avoid taking it fully in his teeth, but his conical helmet goes flying. The man's grey and black hair unfurls from its loose queue like a banner, but the Northerner keeps fighting.

Nearby, Hong manages to keep his saddle despite hitting the branch. The nearest raider laughs at his poor horsemanship - too long. Hong's twin-fisted strike slams into his chest and lifts him clear of his saddle. The man has just enough time for his mouth to form an O of surprise before he crashes into the rider behind. Both men and the horse go down in a tangle of limbs and desperate cries before coming to a stop in a broken heap. There's no time to savor victory, though, because the beast erupts out of the underbrush. It leaps in, claws bared and mouth foaming, and tries to tear the life from Hong!

Notes
A Map! | Aspect Document

I am going to try something to help speed things up as far as init in this game. Specifically, I'm going to do it in tiers. Rather than rolling initiative or doing AR's dramatic passed inits, I'm going to do it this way.
• Everyone posts whenever they're able.
• I resolve actions as follows: Create Advantage, Overcome, Attack, with the party having priority. Actions that don't quite fall into one of these categories will get resolved with Overcomes (like Yue's distraction here).
• This means that in resolving what happened this round, I'm going to resolve Zhu Qiang and Xu Lei creating advantages first. None of the bad guys are creating advantages, and no one is Overcoming any obstacles. Then when attacks happen, Dr Zhang has access to the advantage Xu Li created for his attack.
• Yes this means that if someone posts an attack before you, you can come in and load up extra advantages in an attempt to get a take down after the fact. WORKING AS INTENDED.
• As a note, some foes may have stunts or special abilities to give themselves priority, or even have get to punch someone before anyone else gets to act at all!

Advantages
Xu Li successfully places Stunned!
[12:00] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -++/+2 = 3

Zhu Qiang places Dragged Through Hell on the bandit leader.
[12:20] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-/-+3 = 2

Overcome/Misc
I'm going to say that with that roll Vivacious Yue and Silver Cloud manage to lead off enough of the distant pursuit that the rest of you are able to lose them. Yue needs to beat a +5 Obstacle to lose them and meet back up with the party later. If you fail, you still meet back up but at a cost.

Attacks
The archers defend vs Hong and get taken out.
[11:55] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/--+2 = -1

The war dogs defend vs Dr Zhang. The dogs have another boost and Xu Li's advantage to invoke, so Zhang gets to 8, and takes them down (I'm running out of FP).
[12:00] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +//++2 = 4

The bandit leader tussles with Zhu Qiang, trying to Dismount him with barbarian grappling techniques! Note that Mountain Does Not Fall will apply to your defense against this.
[12:23] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-+/+4 = 5

Then Zhu Qiang and the bandit leader crash through the branch. I'm going to say what happens is Dragged Through Hell gets invoked here to bump up the branch's attack to a +5. The raider takes a stress from hitting his head on the branch. XOO
[12:25] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +///+3 = 4

Then the Beast attacks Hong! It rolls poorly so I invoke Out of Sight for a reroll and do better. It has W:2 but rolled // so no additional stress if it hits.
[12:28] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -/--+4 = 1
[12:29] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, //+++4 = 6

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

"And how about this, for size!"

Xu Lei somehow produces another pouch of nails and other junk, showering the contents on the Bandit Leader to distract him a bit.

Producing a Shower of Metal with Crafts: +/+++4 = 7.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 16, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong
()(X)(X)

Hong catches the Beast with a foot, but it claws and bites at his legs. "Rrgh! What even is this one?!"

He hurls it back to the floor, hard, trying to plant it headfirst into a rock. "Come on then! I fear neither man or beast!"

Krysmbot KPrime, /+/-+3 = 3 Athletic defense. I'll just eat the three stress.

KPrime, +/-++3 = 4 Athletic create advantage to place Slammed.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Velyoukai, Cirno, Ridley - do you have questions? Still waiting for you guys.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Seeing his prey re-emerge, Zhang makes haste to attack the beast once again!

"DOWN, foul creature! I'll deal with your creator soon enough - just as I will deal with you now!"

Chi attack!: 4dF+3 3

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

Yue suddenly realizes she's seen this area before -- the Waxing Moon troupe passed through here on their way through, and spent a night in a nearby cave, quite well concealed, that even had a bit of furniture in it! The others had told her it was an old performer's secret cave made to keep passing troupes safe from bandits, and since Yue had heard there were smugglers and brigands in the area she had realized it made sense.

In fact...that's the cave up ahead!

"Over there!" she points out to Silver Cloud. "Into that cave - I'm going to make sure they don't see." Leaping off the back of the horse, Yue uses her ribbon to pull down nearby branches and pull herself up, concealing the passage of the horse in a swirl of motion and flying leaves. She herself joins Silver Cloud in the cave once the leaves are whirling around enough that her disappearance won't be missed.

[20:11] <Morphball>: Ridley: 6 = 4dF(x,+,+,x)+4 athletics, plus spending a FP to declare that nearby cave.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Silver Cloud follows Yue's instructions, quickly disappearing into the cave. Dismounting, he gets his well trained mount to lie down and be quiet. When Yue follows him in, he takes her arm and pulls her over so they can crouch down next to the horse, hidden entirely from view in the small cave. A few moments later a mass of horseman thunder past, shouting at each other in the queerly harmonic tongue of the Northern wilds. None so much as glance at the hidden entrance to the cave. In moments, the sound of hooves fades into silence. With a sigh of relief, Silver Cloud lets go of his sword hilt, and smiles at Yue.

"That was brilliant. We should probably wait a bit longer to be sure they're gone, then we can catch up with the others."

--------

Dr. Zhang rushes in as Hong throws the Beast down onto the earth. As it tries to rise, the handsome physician strikes it with a rain of blows, circling as the Beast spins to try and face its tormentor, howling with fury.

The barbarian leader throws up an arm to shield his face from the carpenter's onslaught, and loses ground as his horse shies away too. When the deluge of metal bits stop, he looks around, realizing suddenly that he's alone. All his horsemen have fallen, and the rest of the force has split off to chase Yue and Silver Cloud. He pushes the old man away, then raises a small bone whistle to his lips. He blows hard into it, but no sound you can hear emerges. The Beast's ears stand up straight, though, and a shudder passes through its body. Its red eyes roll, but it continues to try and bite Dr. Zhang.

The barbarian blows on the whistle again as he wheels his horse around, then thunders back down the path, fleeing from the youxia.

Notes
A Map! | Aspect Document

Advantages
Xu Lei successfully places Shower of Metal on the bandit leader and gets an extra invoke on it!
[17:51] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --+++4 = 4

Meanwhile, Hong places Slammed on the Beast!
[17:51] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +---+4 = 2

Overcome/Misc
Overcome successful for Yue!

Attacks
Dr Zhang's attack strikes home! Getting an invoke of Slammed leads to it taking 3 stress! It's at XOXO.
[17:52] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --//+4 = 2

Conceding
The bandit leader decides to concede, since the only thing left on his side is the Beast and Yue lead off the rest of the pursuit. He escapes on his horse. He pays a fate point to Xu Lei in order to get away.

The Beast, possessed by bloodlust, hesitates a moment before fleeing. I'm going to compel Dr. Zhang to attack it anyways since it's a creation of an old enemy of his. Anyone else still in the area can create advantages for one attack.

If Zhang beats a +8 he takes it out. If he misses, it gets away. Anyone can take a Moderate consequence to provide an additional +2 on the attack.

If it gets away, it will show up again later...

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 24, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Yue smiles back, a bit bashfully. "Thank you...you were brilliant too. We should probably just...stay in here for a little bit." She looks around the cave for a moment. "When I was here before, with my troupe, I didn't care for it. I...don't like caves, much. They bring back memories of...of bad times. But somehow I don't mind it so much, here with you."

The dancing girl hesitates a moment.

"Do you have someone...special, Silver Cloud?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Oh, no you don't! You are not escaping to spread your evil!"

Zhang leaps off his horse and grabs onto the beast, striking it at every pressure point he can find!

I accept the compel!

Fight or Chi~: 4dF+3 2
...And I spent that new FP immediately on boosting this to 4. I need two volunteers?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hong
()(X)(X)

Hong makes a face at the beast's back. Zhang looks like he has it, but, best to be sure. Swinging his horse round, he tries to cut off the creature's line of retreat.

His horse, however, has had quite enough of today, and refuses to budge. "Damned animal!"

K`: -3 (4dF=0, -, -, -) whomp whomp

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Xu Lei can't reach the bandit leader in time, so he leaves it at that. After a beatdown like that, he's sure that man won't bother them again.

More than he can stay for this... monster, though!

"I'm coming!" He tosses his last bag of nails at the thing to slow it down!

One last Crafts advantage: 1:36 AM <Krysmbot> TurninTrix, /-+-+4 = 3.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Silver Cloud pats his mount's neck to keep it calm, keeping an eye on the cave entrance. "I have to admit it wouldn't be my first choice of places to visit, but under the circumstances I won't complain."

When she asks him her question, the glances at her, then not-at-all-casually looks back towards the entrance. "I was betrothed to... someone. Things - well. It was a complicated situation and I don't think it would have worked out in the end." He seems to be on the verge of saying more, but looks away again for a moment, then turns to regard the dancing girl from the corner of his eye.

"Do you have someone, Yue?"

----

Mixed news for the Doctor. Xu Lei got you an aspect, but Hong missed. Up to you if you want to spend another FP to get a full success. Alternatively, you're close enough to get a success with a cost. You can suggest one or I can make one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Okay we seem to have lost some players and a lot of momentum, but in talking to people and speaking for myself I think there's still plenty of interest. I think I just bit off too much plot to chew initially, and the plot I had moved away from the more exciting options. I'm currently buried by finals as well.

So after Christmas if everyone is game I would like to do a fast-forward/reboot to get us out of the rut. To that end I'll talk to everyone about how to shape events for the restart, and everyone will have a chance to change characters - either change aspects of the character you have, or switch to another one.

For now though please bear with me, as I won't have time to address things until after Christmas.

• Locked thread