Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hello SAS! In an effort to bring attention the fun CFL threads in TFF that some Canadians are unaware of because they reside in TFF, it's gonna have a small stay here for a few days so click the bookmark link and get ready for some questionable actions by your favourite teams and players before the regular season!
:canada:

Free Agency began a few days earlier than originally expected because of holidays so it's now time to have a rundown of REALLY IMPORTANT NEWS THAT HAS HAPPENED SINCE SASKATCHEWAN WON THE GREY CUP.

Most notably the RedBlacks of Ottawa had an expansio HOLD THE PHONE.

No we all know the biggest news.

This old bastard finally hung up his cleats to end his reign of terror.

So far Alex Brink, Tanner Marsh and Troy Smith all aim to battle for the role of Never Living Up To Anthony Calvillo's replacement.

But onto far more pressing matters! Signings.

They're being tracked on a nice layout here: http://cfl.ca/page/2014-free-agent-tracker
with all full league transactions on the normal page http://cfl.ca/page/transactions

Big deals that are very important
QB
Zach Collaros (released early) signed with Hamilton
Henry Burris (released early) signed with Ottawa

WR
Nick Moore signed with Winnipeg

OL
Justin Sorensen signed with Edmonton
Steve Myddleton signed with Hamilton

LB
Shea Emry signed with Toronto
Jamall Johnson signed with BC
Malik Jackson signed with Ottawa

DB
Jovon Johnson signed with Ottawa
Brandon Stewart signed with Hamilton
Pat Watkins signed with Edmonton

P/K
Justin Medlock signed with Hamilton

Notable Player Losses
Alouettes lost OL Michael Ola to Miami (NFL)
Argonauts lost WR Dontrelle Inman to San Diego (NFL)
Hamilton lost LB Simoni Lawrence to Minnesota (NFL)
Winnipeg loses LB Henoc Muamba to Indianapolis (NFL) and WR Chris Matthews to Seattle (NFL)
Saskatchewan loses SB Weston Dressler to Kansas City (NFL) and Kory Sheets to Oakland (NFL)
Calgary loses DE Cordarro Law to San Diego (NFL)
Edmonton loses LB Damaso Munoz to Tampa Bay (NFL)

Trades
-Saskatchewan recieve 8th overall in 2014 draft,P Josh Bartel and DL Shomari Williams from Hamilton Tiger-Cats for the 9th and 11th overall picks.
-Blue Bombers acquire QB Drew Willy from Saskatchewan for WR Jade Etienne
-Ottawa receives DL Justin Phillips and 23rd overall 2014 pick from Calgary for 19th overall and a 3rd round pick in 2015
-Blue Bombers acquired DB Chris Randle, 26th pick 2014 from the Stampeders for 24th overall.

OP will be updated when needed. Now bookmark the thread and discuss why Saskatchewan will be last place in the west.t

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Bombers will be last in the west. They're in the west, right? Even if they aren't I'm sure they'll find a way

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
As an Eskimo fan I'm entirely confident we have last place in the west firmly secured. Unless the REDBLACKS are in the west or other stupidity? How are they doing the schedules now that it's unbalanced?

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

As an Eskimo fan I'm entirely confident we have last place in the west firmly secured. Unless the REDBLACKS are in the west or other stupidity? How are they doing the schedules now that it's unbalanced?

Go GREENGOLDS!

The schedule is here: http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2014/time_zone/0
Every week there will be one team with a bye, so we get a 20 week season this year :toot:

I'll be moving from Edmonton to Calgary some time this summer, which is going to be different for football. I've only been to one game at McMahon and while the fans were fun the stadium seemed a lot smaller. Any secrets I'm missing to enjoying a game in Calgary?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Faxman posted:

Go GREENGOLDS!

Every week there will be one team with a bye, so we get a 20 week season this year :toot:

I'll be moving from Edmonton to Calgary some time this summer, which is going to be different for football. I've only been to one game at McMahon and while the fans were fun the stadium seemed a lot smaller. Any secrets I'm missing to enjoying a game in Calgary?
I'm not a huge football fan but I've been to a couple games at McMahon. The part I found coolest is that since there's a train station like a block away, a huge number of people get there on the train, especially when the weather's nice. Even if you never use Calgary public transit besides, it's a lot of fun chatting with other fans as everyone makes the trek out on game days.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Faxman posted:

Go GREENGOLDS!

5 games in week 8! Groovy.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Pre-season games just five days apart for the Bombers. I guess it has to be someone that gets the short end of the stick, but I can't see this being a beneficial thing for the worst team in the league.

Nine teams makes the schedule so goofy. I don't expect it to happen, but if Edmonton somehow wins their division, they would get 22 days off between their last game and the West division final.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

So is Shomari terrible now or what.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Faced with the prospect of basically nobody to throw the football to him in 2014, Terrence Edwards has called it a career.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Hey look the Rouge et Noir have started a naming contest for their dumb new mascot
http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/article/redblacks-unveil-their-new-mascot

I hope it's something stupid and silly, such as a Choppy or Reginald.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Faced with the prospect of basically nobody to throw the football to him in 2014, Terrence Edwards has called it a career.

So how possible is it that the bombers don't win a game? :suicide:

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hey look the Rouge et Noir have started a naming contest for their dumb new mascot
http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/article/redblacks-unveil-their-new-mascot

I hope it's something stupid and silly, such as a Choppy or Reginald.

I skipped a few words reading that article and it really made it sound that Henry Burris was going to be the new mascot.

The Article posted:

...the Ottawa REDBLACKS introduced their new mascot before the Ottawa 67’s game. Henry Burris, the newly acquired QB...

Now I can't stop laughing at the thought of Burris having to fulfill both roles for his new team.
"drat we had to punt the ball. Guess I'd better go put on the giant foam head and try to start the wave"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Wait, so the team name is actually 'REDBLACKS' and that's not just an internet meme?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

So how possible is it that the bombers don't win a game? :suicide:

Schadenfreude is all us bomber fans have left :unsmigghh:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

Wait, so the team name is actually 'REDBLACKS' and that's not just an internet meme?

I know right. It's like the development team stopped working on the design halfway through because the REDBLACKS cheques started bouncing or something and the Ottawa REDBLACKS just said "gently caress it" and rolled with what they had. Even the logo is total "working title" in the vibes it gives off. Oh well. Have faith, I guess - the Blue Jackets and Wild are good examples of expansion teams that cleaned up their acts given a little time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's also a very different name in French and they are at least feigning some French targeted marketing

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Stickarts posted:

I know right. It's like the development team stopped working on the design halfway through because the REDBLACKS cheques started bouncing or something and the Ottawa REDBLACKS just said "gently caress it" and rolled with what they had. Even the logo is total "working title" in the vibes it gives off. Oh well. Have faith, I guess - the Blue Jackets and Wild are good examples of expansion teams that cleaned up their acts given a little time.

But at least Blue Jackets and 'the Wild' are actual things. REDBLACKS just sounds like something your racist grandpa yells when you ask him to describe biracial children from his two least favorite ethnic groups.

It works in French thoughbut that's probably more because there's a few CIS teams whose name is just their team colours.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

It's also a very different name in French and they are at least feigning some French targeted marketing

I think this underlines how weird "REDBLACKS" is with the all-caps, with the French-language name being the actually sensible "Rouge et Noir d'Ottawa."

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

That isn't a photoshop. It's their actual logo.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Truth that Rouge et Noire sounds and looks way more acceptable - it comes across as very (Euro) footbally, and I mean that in a good way. ALLCAPS REDBLACKS is a little too 47th chromosome for me.

AND LOOKIT THAT LOGO. It is not even approaching exaggeration that I could come up with something better than that on the spot. Right now. I mean look at it.

Anyway, speaking of French marketing - I am very interested to see how Montreal does now that maybe the CFL's greatest QB ever isn't there anymore. Pretty easy to get 20,000+ to a game when the Roughriders are losing you're winning cup after cup and have been contenders since the team returned the mid-90s. If the downturn has begun for the Als I wonder/worry if they will be relegated to also ran within the next few years.

Montreal definitely is a
Hockey

Everything else
sort of town, hopefully the support is deeply enough entrenched there.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I suggested they name their mascot CAPSLOCK but i dunno if they'll pick it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why is the logo a table saw blade?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Probably something to do with logging before anyone cared about Ottawa or the area.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Saskatchewan loses SB Weston Dressler to Kansas City (NFL) and Kory Sheets to Oakland (NFL)

Happy to see these guys moving up; they deserve it.

Drunk Canuck posted:

OP will be updated when needed. Now bookmark the thread and discuss why Saskatchewan will be last place in the west.

This… yeah. At least Riders fans are accustomed to having their hopes and dreams shattered in the worst way possible.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Drunk Canuck posted:

Probably something to do with logging before anyone cared about Ottawa or the area.

Yes, that's why. It's also why the mascot is a lumberjack. I guess the long forgotten lumber industry does lend for better branding opportunities than either the government or the spectre of failed tech giants that still haunt the place.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Watching Troy Smith suck it up on the Alouettes should be pretty fun. Like an alternate history Ravens where Vinny Testaverde is still the best QB they ever had.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Watching Troy Smith suck it up on the Alouettes should be pretty fun. Like an alternate history Ravens where Vinny Testaverde is still the best QB they ever had.

He was probably the best QB the Als had going for them last season.

:negative:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Gary "Nothing but Disappointment Follows Me" Etcheverry named new Bombers DC
http://cfl.ca/article/bombers-name-etcheverry-defensive-coordinator

I don't know what O'Shea is thinking, but it's not for the benefit of his job security.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Gary "Nothing but Disappointment Follows Me" Etcheverry named new Bombers DC
http://cfl.ca/article/bombers-name-etcheverry-defensive-coordinator

I don't know what O'Shea is thinking, but it's not for the benefit of his job security.

CTE is a hell of a thing.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stickarts posted:

Truth that Rouge et Noire sounds and looks way more acceptable - it comes across as very (Euro) footbally, and I mean that in a good way. ALLCAPS REDBLACKS is a little too 47th chromosome for me.

AND LOOKIT THAT LOGO. It is not even approaching exaggeration that I could come up with something better than that on the spot. Right now. I mean look at it.

Anyway, speaking of French marketing - I am very interested to see how Montreal does now that maybe the CFL's greatest QB ever isn't there anymore. Pretty easy to get 20,000+ to a game when the Roughriders are losing you're winning cup after cup and have been contenders since the team returned the mid-90s. If the downturn has begun for the Als I wonder/worry if they will be relegated to also ran within the next few years.

Montreal definitely is a
Hockey

Everything else
sort of town, hopefully the support is deeply enough entrenched there.

Montreal is an event town. Other than Canadiens hockey, they fill stadiums and arenas for big events, not necessarily for the sake of sports.

That's why the city is famous for one-off boxing fights, wrestling events, concerts, festivals, stand-up, etc... It's also why when the Impact were in the B-League and made it far into the CONCACAF Champions League, they filled the Olympic Stadium, or why the Blue Jays pre-season games are also going to fill the Olympic Stadium.

If the Als continue to do relatively well, they won't have attendance problems. I wouldn't worry too much about that

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This thread may now be returned to its home in TFF

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Arland Bruce got cut for weighing in with anti-gay remarks on the Jon Martin thing

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/alouettes-release-arland-bruce-two-weeks-homophobic-comments-031907468.html

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Saskatchewan and their fans offended the gods with their hubris and have been struck down

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Amazing news from Ottawa, today they signed Paris Jackson.

Also Kevin Glenn is still asking for a trade out of there.

I really do not understand where he hopes to land because there is no god drat team in the league where he'd be starter. He just doesn't want part of the Rouge Et Noir passion.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

Amazing news from Ottawa, today they signed Paris Jackson.

Also Kevin Glenn is still asking for a trade out of there.

I really do not understand where he hopes to land because there is no god drat team in the league where he'd be starter. He just doesn't want part of the Rouge Et Noir passion.

Maybe they can trade him to the Atlantic Schooners for a future expansion draft pick.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Winnipeg is interested in Glenn for the short-term, but Ottawa is demanding the No. 2 pick in the draft and our GM won't budge. Refreshing considering if Joe Mack was still the GM he would of traded the pick for someone much worse by now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Duro posted:

Montreal is an event town. Other than Canadiens hockey, they fill stadiums and arenas for big events, not necessarily for the sake of sports.

That's why the city is famous for one-off boxing fights, wrestling events, concerts, festivals, stand-up, etc... It's also why when the Impact were in the B-League and made it far into the CONCACAF Champions League, they filled the Olympic Stadium, or why the Blue Jays pre-season games are also going to fill the Olympic Stadium.

If the Als continue to do relatively well, they won't have attendance problems. I wouldn't worry too much about that

This is so correct. I went to opening day for the Expos last season, and saw for the first time them opening up all of the upper level seats at the Big Owe. Over 45K. The place was rocking and an exciting place to see a game! Much different than the other 20 or so games I enjoyed with 4-7k other folks.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

sweet thursday posted:

Saskatchewan and their fans offended the gods with their hubris and have been struck down

The price is blood.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just to be clear I remember 14,000 fans showing up for Reggie Slack's prescriptions. Or some hot hot Tom Burgess. Riders are the ultimate bandwagon team these days. I can't wait for the new stadium to be built just in time for the team to suck. It is destiny.

Fair point re: Montreal. I suppose I knew that, what with UFC - but even then, would there be nearly the support if GSP hadn't owned the belt like the Church did Quebec before the Révolution tranquil?

e. I guess I'm making GBS threads on Montreal here. I like the city and, uh, the habs. I just really don't like the Als. Guess why.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Stickarts posted:

I just really don't like the Als. Guess why.

It's hardly Montreal's fault that the Roughriders can't tell the difference between 12 and 13.

• Locked thread