Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I was expecting it to be a scam and the cameras showing it didn't actually move at all. Lance Bass was great, the usual little background gags were super - I especially liked Forrest's claim that only 1% of all people who have ever lived have been to space, when it's closer to 0.00001% of people being alive now.

Another great episode though, tons of laughs all the way through.

muscles like this? posted:

The goofy thing is Forrest not telling people WHY he's doing what he's doing.

Yeah it kinda feels like he needed to drop a line in during the first episode to say that he can't tell people what he's doing as it would affect the integrity of his reviews or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The second episode was put up on Hulu today. It even got one of their banner things. So those of us without Comedy Central will only be three weeks behind. Which is better than nothing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm going to be a little kinder to it, but it is pretty inconsistent. Except all the art for it, regardless of who's making the piece, is that 'rushed and lazy' style which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Speaking of the art, one quick segment (the joke was the guy loved the woman's rear end donkey) looked exactly like the art style of Poorly Drawn Lines:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Of all the things in the entire world to plagiarize...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fezz posted:

The second episode was put up on Hulu today. It even got one of their banner things. So those of us without Comedy Central will only be three weeks behind. Which is better than nothing.

That's good news, the on screen advertising was pretty awful during this week's episode. They covered up part of the memorial with an advert for one of their dumb apps or something! Idiots.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm glad (minor character actor in review spoiler?) Fred Willard got some work and didn't have to paul ruebens his life away after getting caught jerking off in a theater. It isn't regular work now that he's dead, but it was basically the character he always plays, he didn't have to be an anonymous warty fart monster in mystery men or anything.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

muscles like this? posted:

Technically the show should be paying for all of this stuff since its all worked related expenses. Even if they didn't he'd have a huge tax write off.

The goofy thing is Forrest not telling people WHY he's doing what he's doing.

Andy Daly has said in interviews and stuff that the logic is supposed to be that telling people would ruin the authenticity/integrity of his reviews, which is the obvious explanation for anyone watching the show, I think. The cameras being present is probably the harder thing to justify if you're going to bother thinking about the internal logic of the show, but he explained that by saying that people just think that he's filming a documentary TV show about the live of a critic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy gently caress that opening sketch on tonight's Inside Amy Schumer.

EDIT: But gently caress THAT SKETCH because the CoD sketch was Pryor-tier.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 9, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, Inside Amy Schumer is such a mixed bag. You have good sketches like the video game one, but they're hidden beneath the mountain of gross-out jokes about sex and vaginas. Also, if you're going to bleep out "pussy" in a show where a good amount of your material is about them, then why bother?

The episode I saw of Review was excellent, though. I hate that I got into it late.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I actually saw Amy Schumer live a few weeks ago and she talked about that. She said that she went to the network and fought to be able to say pussy on Comedy Central since you can say dick without being bleeped and she said the network said yes. So if it's bleeped maybe they changed their minds last minute...or maybe she was actually saying something worse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I actually saw Amy Schumer live a few weeks ago and she talked about that. She said that she went to the network and fought to be able to say pussy on Comedy Central since you can say dick without being bleeped and she said the network said yes. So if it's bleeped maybe they changed their minds last minute...or maybe she was actually saying something worse.
Comedy Central's censoring has been weirdly inconsistent for a while. Sometimes you get to hear "poo poo" unbleeped, other times you get... that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That video game sketch was great, but the biggest laugh was the headline on the TMZ site "Amy Schumer attacks disabled child. Are women funny?"

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

We're starting off with raaaaaaaaaage!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF!

I love Manzukas so much, he and Daly are the best together.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

:siren: ZOOKS :siren:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I used to work for an accountant. He was a nice man :geno:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Rookie mistake there, not saving all your energy for the gently caress off

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

PotatoJudge posted:

Rookie mistake there, not saving all your energy for the gently caress off

Doesn't matter bro, his gently caress muscles weren't weak from unuse!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

SMAAAAAAAAAAAASH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF!

I love Manzukas so much, he and Daly are the best together.

The best part of that was the end with Urbaniak, "he turned around and drove off."

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?
I gotta say, if the world was completely fair, Andrew Daly would win the Emmy for outstanding lead actor in a comedy series. He probably won't even get nominated - this show doesn't have the campaigning budget of Big Bang Theory & other "big network" shows - but it's a drat shame.

It's such a defeated, deeply troubled character, yet you believe every miserable twist to his life and it's all loving hilarious. I can't honestly think of another half-hour comedy show where the main actor brings this much to his performance. Closest would probably be Carell during The Office. All the other recent nominees and winners - Jim Parsons, Alec Baldwin, Louis CK, Jason Bateman, Jon Cryer, Larry David - IMO Daly outacts every single one.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love Andy Daly and think he deserves all kinds of awards but being a better actor than Louis CK isn't a huge achievement.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I finally got around to watching Review for the first time last night and...uhh...it's a lot different than I expected.

I thought it was going to be "real," in that Andrew Daly would actually do the things in a non-scripted fashion. So I pretty much hated the episode, but I figure I need to start from the beginning with the right mindset of "ok, it's a show about a fake show where he does real reviews...but on his fake show, so it's not real."

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I finally got around to watching Review for the first time last night and...uhh...it's a lot different than I expected.

I thought it was going to be "real," in that Andrew Daly would actually do the things in a non-scripted fashion. So I pretty much hated the episode, but I figure I need to start from the beginning with the right mindset of "ok, it's a show about a fake show where he does real reviews...but on his fake show, so it's not real."
You're doing it all wrong, you are supposed to watch it with a mindset that it's a real show about a real show in a fake world with real reviews but on his fake real show so it's real in the sense that instant coffee isn't real coffee but it feels real. It's a rookie mistake.

If you just sit down and watch it and enjoy it for what it is you're a loving jabroni.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Review is the best show on TV right now. I sneaked a peak at the later episode titles and I won't reveal anything since some people wanna go in blind, I wish I had for the pancakes reveal but goddamn. This is going to get amazing, :getin:

I hope his relationship with his ex wife crumbles even more, and seeing as next episode has revenge in the title, I'm hoping it will.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Review needs to end as a one-season wonder with an episode reviewing suicide.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PostNouveau posted:

Review needs to end as a one-season wonder with an episode reviewing suicide.

I really think that's the way to go out, it seems like the only possibility.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Hamass posted:

I gotta say, if the world was completely fair, Andrew Daly would win the Emmy for outstanding lead actor in a comedy series. He probably won't even get nominated - this show doesn't have the campaigning budget of Big Bang Theory & other "big network" shows - but it's a drat shame.

It's such a defeated, deeply troubled character, yet you believe every miserable twist to his life and it's all loving hilarious. I can't honestly think of another half-hour comedy show where the main actor brings this much to his performance. Closest would probably be Carell during The Office. All the other recent nominees and winners - Jim Parsons, Alec Baldwin, Louis CK, Jason Bateman, Jon Cryer, Larry David - IMO Daly outacts every single one.

I agree with everything in this post. I'm just worried this show is emptying it's balls in the first season.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CaptainHollywood posted:

I agree with everything in this post. I'm just worried this show is emptying it's balls in the first season.

I would be 100% okay with this being a 1 season show, and I think that that's probably the way it's heading.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I had no idea that this was based on an Australian show. Is that worth tracking down?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ariza posted:

I had no idea that this was based on an Australian show. Is that worth tracking down?

I tracked down the first season. It's the same but different. A running joke in the Australian show is someone will write him a letter, ask a question. He will ignore all that and focus on one word or one phrase and go experience something completely different. Like someone says I'm thinking of changing sports teams because they keep losing but I don't want to feel like a traitor, what do you think? Hmmmm What's it like to betray someone? Lets find out.

Another running joke is at the summary he will do the most convoluted mixed metaphors ever. As I climbed the hills of redemption and peered over the vista of self discovery some birds of regret pecked out my eyes of self absorption until and on and on and on. I find it really goddamn tiring and never funny. Some parts are funny but never those parts.

So no, I think this version is "better", but at the same time, knowing it's an adaptation made me enjoy it less.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Austrian mook posted:

I would be 100% okay with this being a 1 season show, and I think that that's probably the way it's heading.

Yeah this is my favorite show on TV right now but there shouldn't be a Season 2.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Yeah this is my favorite show on TV right now but there shouldn't be a Season 2.

You may think that, but if there is a second season it'll probably be great. Andy Daly is just too good for something he's the lead of to not be better than any possible replacement.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I just don't see how this ends literally with anything other than suicide.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Punch Card posted:

You may think that, but if there is a second season it'll probably be great. Andy Daly is just too good for something he's the lead of to not be better than any possible replacement.

I've loved Andy Daly ever since I saw him on Crossballs forever ago, but I'd rather get any new Andy Daly show than Season 2 of this.

Austrian mook posted:

I just don't see how this ends literally with anything other than suicide.

I'd rather see him be fired tbh. As in the show supposedly keeps going on without him.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 12, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's like 6 episodes in, and he's already ruined. How could they possibly rebuild him for another season? Give it another 6 episodes and he'll be at the level of Rickity Cricket from It's Always Sunny.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The shocking season one twist will be that all this time he has been secretly reviewing "riches to rags to riches" and he is now getting ready for the rags to riches part. That or they just simply don't rebuild him up, I don't see why that is needed for a season 2, there can always be more despair.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The Review is outstanding, but Nathan For You is still modern CC's ultimate weapon (which is saying a ton given how on fire they've been the last 2 years). Cannot wait for S2 to begin.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The Review is outstanding, but Nathan For You is still modern CC's ultimate weapon (which is saying a ton given how on fire they've been the last 2 years). Cannot wait for S2 to begin.

It's my most anticipated show of the year- and I watched nearly every season of 24 as it aired. (Missed most of season 1 on TV).

What makes Nathan For You great, is how unmanufactured the comedy is. Nothing is "played up" for the show. Everyone gives the most :geno: reaction. It really helps makes it feel real. If you haven't watched the show, give it a shot immediately.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 12, 2014

radlum
May 13, 2013
I wish Forrest would Review the CC webpage so he'll give half a star to watching Review on it. Why can't they post full episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radlum posted:

I wish Forrest would Review the CC webpage so he'll give half a star to watching Review on it. Why can't they post full episodes?

The app is pretty good, I just watched all of Review and Broad City on it.

• Locked thread