Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Awesome new OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's not an awful ship, it just doesn't stand out anymore.

Meanwhile the drake got so bad that whenever I see one my mind automatically goes "bait". It's this years ferrox.

It's almost like the drake and the ferox switched places.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FoF posted:

You are the lifeblood of the swarm. God I hope you are also a trigger in the hellcamp right now.

I thought you were in TEST? :raise:

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

i do cocaine posted:

I thought you were in TEST? :raise:

No matter where I am does that make my statement any less correct? I spent time in goons and players like him are part of the life of goons. Making him a drone trigger in the hellcamp would be icing on the cake for a new player.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Siets posted:

Interceptors are now annoying-as-poo poo uncatchable gnats.
I hate interceptors.

1.1 has made things a tiny bit better... not much, though...

Many of them are now technically catchable if not travel fit, at least.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FoF posted:

No matter where I am does that make my statement any less correct? I spent time in goons and players like him are part of the life of goons. Making him a drone trigger in the hellcamp would be icing on the cake for a new player.

(it's the only remotely fun job in a hellcamp, except for that one time when the logi wing assisted 300+ Warrior II's to a newbee in a Rifter and told him to try to catch his tail)

VVV I love my Cheetah(s), when I want to go somewhere and I don't want to be bothered en route I use my Cheetah.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As much as I love interceptors, the Cheetah will always be my ship of choice to zip around the galaxy. :3:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Potential newbies: You are the lifeblood of the swarm. We love our newbies and will shower you in spacebux and let you lead us old, jaded bittervets into glorious combat in which we actually pray for you to get us all killed. Do you want to get paid to be clueless and lead your corp mates to a fiery end? Hell yes you do!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

vyst posted:

As much as I love interceptors, the Cheetah will always be my ship of choice to zip around the galaxy. :3:

Interceptors are so good at zipping around that if I travel fit them I feel absolutely no qualms whatsoever about moving small volume high value cargo right through gatecamps with them. I hauled all of the faction poo poo for my sin up in my "Cargo Claw", and I generally leave my snake implant clone wherever my last deployment was while traveling, then go fetch it in a travel fit stilleto.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr

andromache posted:

Want to wear a fursuit and yiff all day? There's Blawrf McTaggart for that.

I'm not a furry :smith:

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its a cool game with friends, so get into a corp with cool guys.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blawrf posted:

But your avatar wouldn't lie, would it?

There is also this damnning piece of evidence. :colbert:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Blawrf posted:

But you are the guy who tries to talk over the music at dance parties.

I'm still trying to decide which is worse.

Khriptik
Mar 5, 2013

geonetix posted:

So basically the last thread made me test the waters again.. But before I actually resub, are there significant changes I should read up on since .. fanfest 2011? The last few pages mentioned that the drake and hurricane are a tad worse, and clearly loads of interface stuff changed. Is it all dreadful or did the game actually turn "curiously excellent"?

Go for it, what's to lose? The game can be a little lack-luster sometimes but that's what you have the rest of the goons for, they're you're entertainment and vice-versa. Not to mention all the free poo poo you get as well.

EDIT: Also, atleast these guys aren't spergy to the point of having a dance music party over comms.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to solicit my nullsec recap videos on TMC and ask that they be added to the OP, we need that sweet sweet YouTube money.

Not really...

...well, sorta.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

Going to solicit my nullsec recap videos on TMC and ask that they be added to the OP, we need that sweet sweet YouTube money.

Not really...

...well, sorta.

I linked one article of yours but I'll be happy to do more if they are decent. Link them

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uba Stij posted:

Not really...

...well, sorta.

Well you could post some links to make it super easy for Vyst to grab them and put them in the OP.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Echoing Otacon's newbie sentiments. I joined about three months ago and was bewildered by the incredible scope of what you can do in, and how you can play this game. Newbies are really well supported, and goons are forgiving and have endless patience for newbie questions and mistakes. There are also regular in-game newbie classes run by a variety of seasoned veterans.

When you do sign up, make sure you join Theta Squad (then join all the other squads) because the Deklein region is a great place to learn small gang PVP.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 18, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

When you do sign up, make sure you join Space Violence (then join all the other squads) because the Syndicate region is a great place to learn small gang PVP.

Fixed. Seriously, join Space Violence.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Echoing Otacon's newbie sentiments. I joined about three months ago and was bewildered by the incredible scope of what you can do in, and how you can play this game. Newbies are really well supported, and goons are forgiving and have endless patience for newbie questions and mistakes. There are also regular in-game newbie classes run by a variety of seasoned veterans.

When you do sign up, make sure you join Theta Squad (then join all the other squads) because the Deklein region is a great place to learn small gang PVP.

Waldo P Barnstormer is a model newbie, not only because that name is equal parts amazing and hilarious, but also because Waldo posts a lot and posts well! Once you get in and have joined Theta squad, you must check out Waldo's Theta Newbie Checklist. It is beautifully concise and informative and will rapidly get you up to speed with everyone else. (Even I who have played this game since 2007 managed to learn a few things from it. :downs:)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I am, by example, not the model newbie. I poo poo around, don't like asking people for stuff, and generally just want to hang out with Goons in space.

So far folks have been very tolerant of that too. By all means be a Hero of the Swarm if you can, but don't let performance anxiety get in the way of trying the game.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Honestly, one of the reason it is so easy to recruitment scam in this game is because the truth is we are pretty much the perfect corp.

We make being new as easy as possible in this game, then have our fingers in every pie in the game and to wrap it all off we are successful enough that there are dedicated anti-goon efforts (that fail miserably). Playing EVE with us is basically like playing a different and more enjoyable game than everyone else.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why Gevlon thinks it's so exclusive, being in Goonswarm. You can literally be the worst j4g ever and still get in.

Well, maybe not the worst. I've seen some pretty dumb people...like in the last thread.

You don't think that was Gevlon, do you? :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

I linked one article of yours but I'll be happy to do more if they are decent. Link them

This is a playlist of the past five months of nullsec recap vids - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrk-tHMgg_i8KQe2y437GF7mnMxm_3on_

i do cocaine posted:

Well you could post some links to make it super easy for Vyst to grab them and put them in the OP.

Please, that would require forethought on my part.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

This is a playlist of the past five months of nullsec recap vids - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrk-tHMgg_i8KQe2y437GF7mnMxm_3on_

Please, that would require forethought on my part.

I added that playlist to the media part of the OP :)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Its most important combat feature is being radically vertical :colbert:

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Oooo a shiny new thread. I recently re-upped my sub after my corp of RL friends finally decided to leave the cesspit that is TEST. Now we are shobon-ing around with BNI, but I miss life in null! It sucks getting blapped by gate guns whenever you try and shoot shiny neuts... How goes the hellcamp?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I encourage everyone who has any interest in flying internet spaceships to try this game out. I started playing about a week ago and everyone has been super helpful. The greatest part is that even though space is scary you always have goon friends to fly around with.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Why are most all eve bloggers so terrible it makes me wonder if they converse with Cthulhu and their babbling causes sanity damage?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Fallorn posted:

Why are most all eve bloggers so terrible it makes me wonder if they converse with Cthulhu and their babbling causes sanity damage?

There used to be a couple good ones (Eve Altruist and Crazy Kinux come to mind) but today, most of them are terrible, especially the ones outside of TMC and CZ.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I don't understand why Gevlon thinks it's so exclusive, being in Goonswarm. You can literally be the worst j4g ever and still get in.

It is basically ignorance. The view from outside the CFC is very different from the way from inside (even being an ally and not a GSF member).

That, and this Gevlon is also an idiot.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fallorn posted:

Didn't swit mention he had a blog? That one's bound to erode a mind, if it's a thing.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
This mobile tractor unit is amazing for missions I can't believe I used to fly to every wreck in my 100m/s battleship like a commoner.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Amberskin posted:

That, and this Gevlon is also an idiot.

Is, has been, and always will be. Fortunately, he also tends to be an entertaining idiot.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

vyst posted:

Can I play for free
There are two main ways to pay for your account. One is to pay money as normal. The other is to use in-game currency to buy a month's subscription from someone who has paid cash for it with an item called a Pilot's Extension License or commonly referred to as PLEX. They get in-game money, and you get to play for another month. Scam someone for a billion ISK - not an unusual amount - and you can play for a couple of months and have money left over for some new ships.

Fuckin' a' man I want to play for free how can I get enough space cheddar to do that?

There are many avenues out there as a newbee to help you make money. If you end up joining GoonWaffe, take the time to view the Home Economics forum and find a method that works best for you. Some of the more common ways to make money are listed below - keep in mind that not all of them are newbie friendly but it shows you the scope of just what all you can do to get money. See our Chief Jewru Aryth's sticky post in Home Economics for more details:

Method | Sp Requirements | Capital Requirements | Scaling | Baseline Hours per Month
1. PI | Newbie SP | 50M | 5 Chars for a few billion tops before effort limited | 4 Hours/Month Per Char
2. Scamming | No SP | No ISK | Very limited scaling
3. Ratting | Moderate SP | 300M | Scales well with isboxer/afktars to 10
4. Mining | Moderate SP | 100M | Scales to 50-100 Chars
5. PLEXIN | High-SP/&or/MultipleChars | 500M-1B of ships | Scales to 3 chars
6. Wormholes | High-SP/&or/MultipleChars | 1-2B in Ships | Scales to 10+ chars
7. Arbitrage (Import/Export) | Ultra Low SP/High Standings - several alts | 1b scales to Market size
8. Production | Variable SP | 100M-20B | Scales to trillions
9. Invention | High SP | 1B | Scales to 200B or so
10. Reactions | Low SP | 10B | Scales to trillion or 100 towers whichever comes first | 8 Hours per Month
11. Margin Trading | Low SP, High Standings | 2B | Scales to 10's of billions | 10 Hours a Month
12. Character Arbitrage | No SP | 10B | Scales to 100's of Billions | 20+ Hours a Month
13. Manip/Spec | Ultra Low SP/High Standings | 30-50B | Scales to 10s of trillions

While this text is not inaccurate, a caution might be worthwhile. It is unrealistic to expect to earn enough to pay for account time in game for the first 4-5 months. Most goons earn their Plexs via Plexing (no.5), but they do so via ships that can be run afk. Of all of the items in that list, only scamming (no. 2) and PI (no. 1) are doable by newbies and PI will not pay for an account immediately. Plan to scam, or plan to pay to play.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
gently caress you guys for making me do this

Last time I played, Alphafleet was a thing, how much has changed?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

E_Motion posted:

Drone changes have made Capitals + Sentries the dominant fleet composition. As alphaing capitals off the field isn't realistic for sub capitals, alpha fleet implausible. As always, CCP continues to tweak things and there is an expectation that the effectiveness of drone fleets will drop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

E_Motion posted:

Quite a bit. Dominixes are in vogue now, but impending nerfs will drive it out of favor in lieu of Megathrons and Apocalypses. We own a lot more space now, and we also have sueprcap superiority.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I was so busy reading and marveling at our nice new thread that I missed page ground floor!

Seriously, sign up, join Theta, get showered in money and newbee attention. Join SpaceViolence, learn to small gang PvP. Syndicate is only 10 minutes from Deklein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Annoying uncatchable interceptors reminds me of the early days in S-U, where every morning 1-2 vets would hang out around the main undock with instalock sniping battleships to snipe dumb pirates with.

• Locked thread