Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

quote:

Joe and Kurt are both potential bachelors. Joe's more outgoing and friendly, while Kurt's more of a goonish type.

Joe, Kurt, and Woody were the carpenters in Save the Homeland as well. Kurt was a jerk then too.

Joe and Kurt are involved in one of the Save the Homeland subplots, and Kurt by himself is in another. They both involve ~nature~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, can anyone think of a reason Dr Science! shouldn't romance another doctor? Because then he can become Dr. Dr Science! :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She doesn't need another doctor. What she needs is an assistant.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I always married Ann in the SNES one too, but I felt kinda bad about it. Since whoever you married would always start wearing a frumpy looking dress and spend all their time in your house just to cook for you.

Although Ann did occasionally pop up in your tool shed working on one of her inventions so I guess it wasn't all bad.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

RaspberryCommie posted:

I always married Ann in the SNES one too, but I felt kinda bad about it. Since whoever you married would always start wearing a frumpy looking dress and spend all their time in your house just to cook for you.

Although Ann did occasionally pop up in your tool shed working on one of her inventions so I guess it wasn't all bad.

That's why Eve was the best choice, since she'd be spending her day on making liquor as well so that the two of you could get tanked after the day was over.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ddegenha posted:

That's why Eve was the best choice, since she'd be spending her day on making liquor as well so that the two of you could get tanked after the day was over.
Truly, Eve was a woman who knew how to help out on the farm.

I'm sure she made a tidy sum on the side with secret sales, too.

Ranch Liquor!

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Mega64 posted:

I love how excited our rancher is everytime she gets a new notebook.

What kind of scientist doesn't get excited at the prospect of taking notes :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know we are eventually going to vote to marry the most goonish bachelor, so you might as well do it early.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Oh man, this really makes me want to play Magical Melody now. I don't think I've ever picked anything but the river, and it's always served me well.

Assuming our husband is going to eventually be put to a vote, can you still continue to raise Jamie's affection just to show off her marriage ending when it comes to that? Obviously you'll still need one of the normal bachelors to get 100 notes, though.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I briefly owned the Wii version of this game, and it looked like the shoddiest port imaginable. None of the buttons in descriptions appeared to have been remapped (e.g. it'd talk about Gamecube controller buttons even if they don't exist on the Wii) and it was just... loveless. I hope it's a bit better in its original incarnation.

Though nothing will match my disappointment in Rune Factory Frontier and the inescapable seven-second animations every time you tried to catch some Runeys wit your... egg, milk, wool and other stuff-harvesting magic sucker machine. Why can't you just open a screen and let us select a number?

e: The one thing I really miss from Harvest Moon is the ability to cook/craft more than one item at a time, instead of having to select the recipe, watch a little animation, rinse, repeat. They're a successful, extremely robust formula but some of the developer's design decisions are... baffling. Which is a shame because I have a soft spot for crafty, buildy tranquil games.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 22, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Lunar Suite posted:

The one thing I really miss from Harvest Moon is the ability to cook/craft more than one item at a time, instead of having to select the recipe, watch a little animation, rinse, repeat. They're a successful, extremely robust formula but some of the developer's design decisions are... baffling. Which is a shame because I have a soft spot for crafty, buildy tranquil games.

Rune Factory 4 lets you craft multiple items at once AND skip the animations at the same time! The RF series has a tendency to keep improving from one game to the next; for example, the quality-of-life improvements in RF4 make RF3 (which is still pretty good) seem like an alien game at times. Which is great compared to Harvest Moon's baffling decisions to invent one good feature and discard it in the next game e.g., double-jump.

Magical Melody seems pretty fun, but I wish there was more variety for daily dialogue.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Gonna go ahead and put in my vote for wooing Kurt.

This has always been my favorite game in the series, mostly because the gimmick actually gives you some long term goals, and it's always fun to see the town grow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

pichupal posted:

Oh man, this really makes me want to play Magical Melody now. I don't think I've ever picked anything but the river, and it's always served me well.

Assuming our husband is going to eventually be put to a vote, can you still continue to raise Jamie's affection just to show off her marriage ending when it comes to that? Obviously you'll still need one of the normal bachelors to get 100 notes, though.

I definitely plan to show that off.

Nondevor posted:

Magical Melody seems pretty fun, but I wish there was more variety for daily dialogue.

I think the dialogue is definitely the game's biggest weakness, since it gets very repetitive after awhile since everyone only gets a couple different lines until you unlock another friendship level with them, at which point they just say a couple more lines. Luckily there's a ton of people and festivals to balance things out a bit, and the actual gameplay is varied enough to kind of make up for it, but it's still a big flaw.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 3 - Poor (Spring 3 - 4)

Music: Spring Theme

Today we start with a knock on the door and meeting someone new.

I'll quickly explain it to you.

This is a shipping box. Put stuff in here like fruits, vegetables, animal products and items collected from the hills and fields. On the following morning, the stuff gets shipped, and you get paid then. Basically, you can put stuff in whenever you like, but you can't take anything out, so don't make a mistake or anything.

Bob pretty much explained shipping perfectly there, so no need for me to really say anything more.

The shed at the back of the house is the lumber shed. When you remove stumps and branches, the lumber automatically ends up there. You can use the A button to remove the lumber, but you can't put stakes in so be careful.

I don't know if you ever really need fences for anything. They just get in the way since it takes a second of running against them to jump over them.

Also, Bob is another potential bachelor despite being twice our size. Though to be fair, half of his size is his gigantic head.

Alright, now on to why I spent all my money on a frying pan I'm probably not going to use anytime soon.

3. Poor Note

When you have no money, you fully understand its importance. A note for re-evaluating the value of money.

You have to be below something like 100G at the start of a day to get this note. If you shipped stuff the day before, you likely won't get this note since it'll add that amount before checking for the note.

Suffice to say, this is obnoxious to get later on when you have a ton of money since there's no money storage system or anything like that. This one you definitely want to do early as possible.

4. Stationary Note

Remaining still for some time, wanting a chance to look at the surroundings. A quiet note.

You can also get a note just for not moving for a couple of minutes. Suffice to say, this is the easiest one to get.

You'll get Weird or Failed dishes if you try item/utensil combinations that don't work. They don't boost stamina much or give much money.

You may have noticed we had a letter outside while talking to Bob. You'll get mail sometimes, with a letter sticking out letting you know when you've got it.

They're usually not that exciting, of course, but what mail ever is?

When you ship an item, numbers will pop up telling you how much you'll get for that item. Keep in mind you won't get the money until the next morning.

5. First Shipping Note

Lots of deliveries from the first. Happiness of the very first delivery note.

And shipping gets another note. Up to five already!

Leave tilled soil alone, and weeds can grow over it and undo your work. Today, we'll get stuff planted though.

First, let's chat with the early risers!

Once you start talking to people, they'll start giving you greetings before spouting their line or two of dialogue.

Hi! Both of us being beginners is rough, eh?

Jamie's greeting is typical Jamie.

Well, do the best you can.

Today, we'll be exploring the mountains. Not Mt. Moon since there's lots of rocks in the way and little reason to go that direction, but we'll be checking out the spring.

The mountain is where you forage stuff, a lot of it seasonal.

Flowers don't ship for much, but of course they make great gifts for most people. Shipping them also help in bringing a person or two into town.

Herbs give a decent amount of money, and shipping a lot will bring a couple of people in. Some people may also like them as gifts.

Honey sells well and of course is useful in some recipes.

The Harvest Goddess Spring is where the Harvest Goddess is. You generally don't have any reason to come here unless you just hit a multiple of five notes.

Which we have!

Music: Goddess Spring

When you collect five notes they become a musical instrument.

AAAAGH

This was an emulator glitch that was too bizarre for me to pass up showing.

Pretty much all of the "unlock an instrument" cutscenes are the same except for the instrument in question. Hitting five notes unlocks the marimba.

Then you'll get to see all the instruments you've unlocked along with harvest sprite representation of The Beatles.

Back to the grind!

Check them out for the latest news.

I probably won't show off TV stuff much unless it's interesting. I think I forgot to actually check the TV today, so oh well.

CAT

I think it'll be tough, but do your best.

Actually, I forgot to visit the ranch yesterday. No matter, let's do that now!

Music: Encounter Theme

Oh yeah, people tend to teleport all over the place. Something you'll get used to.

You came over! Welcome to Blue Sky Ranch!

Hank is Ellen's father both here and in the SNES version. Rather than sell animals, he was constantly drunk and never did anything besides drink, which brought some uncomfortable overtones if you thought about it.

He's not nearly as much an alcoholic in this version, at least.

Are you the one that came over on the Exciting-Whatever plan?
That's right, Dr Science! is taking care of the puppy for us.

I'm Hank, nice to meet you.
Our store handles items related to animals. The guy you often see in the fields is my cousin Blue. He's helping us with this ranch. He can be difficult at times, but try to get along with him!

Even though we don't actually meet Blue in this cutscene, this still unlocks us finding him around town.

It's a notebook for first-time ranchers. It has a lot of information related to animals, so it's useful to read.

Keep at it so you can raise animals.

Here's our next potential bachelor, Blue.

Ask Ellen about him.

Blue is another of the anti-social goony types. The men in this town are either very social or very introverted, it seems.

He also resembles Gray a lot from HM64/Back to Nature right down to the blue cap, though there's no real relation apparently.

But it sure is comforting seeing healthy animals out in a meadow.

Hank's just there.

Can't buy any animals yet since we don't have a barn or chicken coop. You can buy feed for your animals, and you'll need specific feed for chickens. You can grow and cut grass for your other animals, which is cheaper than buying it through here.

You can buy both tools to raise your animals' affection, and actual animal products for cooking and gifts.

I'll go more into animals once we can actually afford to buy them.

But the rumor is that when ores arrive, so will the blacksmith. He's a rival.

Another hint. Ship ores to get a blacksmith.

Now to ship all our hard work.

want to modify the home that you're living in, choose "remodel."

Today, the plant farm is open! Time to buy some crops with our zero money!

I see, so your name is Dr Science!? I have a farm which I run with my daughter.

This is Nina, another bachelorette who originated from the SNES version. Liz is also her mother in that game.

Very nice to meet you! I'm Nina. It's hardly a farm, we just grow a few meager crops here.

If there's something you don't understand, please read it!
We sell various types of vegetable and grass seeds as well as tree saplings.

Free seeds! Always great.

Seeds are crazy cheap in this game (for reference, Turnip Seeds were 10x that price in the SNES version), and they'll still cover all tilled soil in a 3x3 square around you. Plant them in fertile soil, and you can make a lot of money pretty easily.

And you can buy tree saplings that will grow fruit, and ready-made veggies in case you need them out-of-season for recipes.

Many things happen at once, but work at your own pace!

At the south end is the beach. There's lots of coral here, though it doesn't sell for much.

You can also befriend a dolphin here.

Dace are pretty crap, they sell for horrible amounts and I don't even think you can make sashimi out of them like the other fish.

There's also plenty of mushrooms around. They sell alright.

You can also pick up dropped items, but this takes a bit of stamina too, so take care.

Make sure you stand in the middle of the square you're planting.

Also note I did this right along my ranch's fence, meaning once the crops grow high enough that I can't reach them, that middle-right square won't be reached. The middle square can't be reached either, but that's series tradition at this point.

And make sure you water your crops. It's the most tedious and time/stamina-consuming task of the day, but crops are also usually your most reliable and biggest moneymaker, so the effort is generally worth it.

That's quite a lot covered in one day. Don't worry, the next day's gonna be short.

I remembered to check the TV today. There's Liz!

And this is Ray, a character we've yet to meet. He's a huge fisherman.

His program also gives hints on the four big "king" fish you can catch. Useful if you're not using GameFAQs.

After just one day, they're already popping up! Turnips grow fast, and the fertile soil knocks a day off their growth rate.

More sashimi fodder!

Let's make a brief trip to the mine today.

There are 100 levels in this mine, though I'm certainly not going to do them all anytime soon.

Music: Moonlight Cave

We'll only do the first floor to show off the basics. You can dig the soil with your hoe to find clay. I'm getting this now because this clay will bring in a new town member.

To get ores, you break rocks. This is crappy bronze ore, nobody cares about it.

You can also break these gems to mine for ores, though they'll do random effects, some good, some bad. This one inflicts blindness, limiting your vision for a bit of time.

Got some gold ore, at least. And with that, my rucksack is already full, which is why I'm waiting to do this proper.

Not a bad way to make money, at least.

Then I spend the rest of the day gathering in the mountains.

And end the day with a little weeding. I don't talk to anybody today simply because there's an achievement for it, because of course there is.

Next time, probably more people, probably more stuff.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 1, 2014

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012
Magical Melody was my first Harvest Moon and I really had no idea what I was doing and it took me forever to find clay.

And I'm a bit conflicted on choosing Bob as a bachelor or one of the ones who show up later.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
You can woo the shipping guy? Holy poo poo, you must do it.

Such a dreamboat :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
"Bronze ore" in video games bugs the poo poo outta me.

It's a loving alloy for poo poo's sake.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Dr. Buttass posted:

"Bronze ore" in video games bugs the poo poo outta me.

It's a loving alloy for poo poo's sake.
Clearly, this game takes place in Glorantha, where bronze ore is extracted from the bones of the gods.

(They also both take their cows and crops incredibly seriously.)

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
For HM games like this where I can't reach the middle crop in a 3x3, I would always grow them in a fat C shape until I got the powered up watering can.

Something like this:

OOO
OOx
OOO

Where X has nothing growing there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Clearly, this game takes place in Glorantha, where bronze ore is extracted from the bones of the gods.

(They also both take their cows and crops incredibly seriously.)

We should have named our ranch Garstali. :(

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Nondevor posted:

Rune Factory 4 lets you craft multiple items at once AND skip the animations at the same time! The RF series has a tendency to keep improving from one game to the next; for example, the quality-of-life improvements in RF4 make RF3 (which is still pretty good) seem like an alien game at times. Which is great compared to Harvest Moon's baffling decisions to invent one good feature and discard it in the next game e.g., double-jump.

I got the new 3DS Harvest Moon - New Beginning? And it's pretty okay; a customizeable protagonist, nice graphics. Except for a few baffling controller decisions, time passing inside buildings and the slowest first month in video game history it's... well, Harvest Moon. It's a really good time sink for long trips, but day to day I find myself not caring.
Might give Rune Factory 4 a try when it comes out, thanks for the tip!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It seems kinda silly that you can't just step over the crops to water them, but okay. Do you plant individual seeds, or does one seed spread in a 9x9 pattern?

Lunar Suite posted:

I got the new 3DS Harvest Moon - New Beginning? And it's pretty okay; a customizeable protagonist, nice graphics. Except for a few baffling controller decisions, time passing inside buildings and the slowest first month in video game history it's... well, Harvest Moon. It's a really good time sink for long trips, but day to day I find myself not caring.
Might give Rune Factory 4 a try when it comes out, thanks for the tip!

No problem! Another benefit of RF4 is that there's so much to do in a single day for a really long time, so nothing feels slow. Also instead of a really long tutorial intro, the game goes "HEY WE'LL INTRODUCE ALL THE VILLAGERS IN A CUTSCENE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIND 'EM" and gives you free reign right after that. The cast is somewhat anime but not bad.

I guess you're screwed if you live in the PAL region though. It's not being released there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nondevor posted:

It seems kinda silly that you can't just step over the crops to water them, but okay. Do you plant individual seeds, or does one seed spread in a 9x9 pattern?

One seed covers a 3x3 square around your character, which is pretty handy.

This version at least lets you walk over sprouting crops, as I was able to water the middle ones still. Don't know what stage of growth will prevent me from walking over them, but I guess we'll see when I get further in.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
That's not a marimba, it's a xylophone!

There's a difference.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Later Harvest Moon games after this one made it so you could walk over crops. Not wasting a single space and using it all for crops. :colbert:

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

Looper posted:

That's not a marimba, it's a xylophone!

There's a difference.

True goddamn story. As an equally learned individual, I endorse and support your message. I'm a doctor. :colbert:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Nondevor posted:

I guess you're screwed if you live in the PAL region though. It's not being released there.
They did what.

Looks like the Developers of Rune Factory, Neverland, went bankrupt. No idea why that cancels the release of the game, but, well, tough luck for us PALs. :(

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Lunar Suite posted:

They did what.

Looks like the Developers of Rune Factory, Neverland, went bankrupt. No idea why that cancels the release of the game, but, well, tough luck for us PALs. :(

Yeah, I noticed that last night. In memory of the company that brought us Lufia, I immediately bought Rune Factory 4.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Now here's what I'm wondering, is this basically Link's Awakening where collecting all the instruments plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish and you have to fight a bunch of random final bosses?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm amazed the tool shop can even stay in business, what with you getting all the stuff on their counter for free when you start the game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It seems like some kind of long con. Sure, first taste is free. But soon you're needing repairs, and upgrades, and instruction in new techniques, and boy does it ever add up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 4 - Cloud (Spring 5 - 7)

Apparently I've had the dates wrong, thinking the game starts you on Spring 1 when it actually starts you on Spring 2. That should be fixed now.

Another morning, another knock on the door by someone new.

Nice to meet you! My name's Carl. My dream is to open a café in this village! A cute little store with delicious cakes and tea!

Hey, do you know about the festivals around here?

enough eggs are collected in the collection box in the town square.

We didn't have the Egg Festival again last year... That's why I brought eggs this year! There's a notice about the festival and the collection box in the town square, so you should go have a look and help out.

While we can't grow eggs yet, we can still buy them from the ranch next door, so why not?

Yeah! Alright then, let's meet at the Egg Festival!

Carl is another potential bachelor we can woo. It seems the bachelors come in much more quickly than the bachelorettes, since we're currently at six, with two more to be introduced lated this update, while the bachelorettes are still at three so far.

6. Lone Wolf Note

Not speaking to anyone for some time, wanting to devote yourself to working silently. A note that seems a little sad.

By not talking to anyone the previous day, we unlock another note that mocks us a bit.

It feels like every character in the game is on TV at some point.

I also remember to bring out the refrigerator, which is where you'll store crops and perishables. You can buy larger models later to store more stuff.

We have our first move-in! By shipping that load of clay the other day, that triggered Saibara to move in, directly to the north of us.

Let's go visit our new neighbor!

So you run a ranch! I'm a ceramic artist. I'd heard that the clay here was good, so I came with high hopes.

If you find some good looking clay, can you ship it? I can't get any unless I go out to the market.

I'm counting on you.

Saibara originates from HM64 and Back to Nature, and his role isn't too different here. He's actually one of the more useless characters since he doesn't actually sell anything, but rather has a couple of unlockables if you befriend him enough.

First you must learn the roads and trails.

Another day, another stage of growth. Now I can't even walk over the plants, leaving those middle ones unwaterable.

Also, I've collected enough money the past two days to buy the Rucksack.

Ten items, woo! Unfortunately, the final rucksack takes a little more effort to get, but we'll tackle that when it comes up.

If you use the tools well and reach the next level I'll put out new items in my shop.

It's a weird way of doing business, but whatever you say.

Going to the sea and the lake between work is a good diversion!

It sure is!

Here's another item you can find in the wild, the toadstool.

The mole is the one animal you can't pick up and cuddle. Instead, you want to smack it with a tool whenever possible. The game rewards you for being a jerk sometimes.

Let's check out the lake and meet a couple new bachelors.

Music: Encounter 3

I work as a plant hunter!

So what a plant hunter does is... well--I guess it's a job where I go find and bring back plants I'm asked to locate.

I'm planning to stay in this village for a while so if I see you around, please be kind!

Basil is a potential bachelor who likes plants. He'll also leave for part of the year.

Music: Encounter 4

Do you want a fish? Want me to give you one?

Wait a minute, let me just make a note of the size.

So it looks like... 42 centimeters... Pretty good size. You fish, don't you?

If you don't, you're missing out on half of life.

Oops, I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Ray. If you're good enough to become a challenging rival, I'll give you a custom made "Professional Fisherman's 125"! Size or quantity... Just make me say "Wow!" I'll look forward to it!

Then Ray just leaves the fish at our feet. He's another potential bachelor who likes fishing. He'll also give us a free rod upgrade at some point, though I forgot how to get him to give it to you.

I try out catching a few fish here and seeing if giving one of them to him would help.

Some new fish I caught. I give the Carp to Ray.

When a character's name is in green, it means you've already given them a gift that day. You can give as many gifts as you want of course, but only the first one will actually boost friendship.

All characters like different things. As you probably have guessed, Ray really loves fish, so those will boost his affection more than something like flowers. You can even lower someone's opinion of you if you give them stuff they hate like weeds.

in plants?

I'm interested in chopping them down so I can grow new ones!

Yes, you can cut down actual trees in this game. Earlier HM games were limited to stumps. You'll still probably be buying most of your lumber though, especially since trees take a ton of chops to bring down.

It leaves a stump and a random assortment of logs.

So what happens when you run low on stamina? Your character has a couple animations at half-stamina, quarter-stamina, and almost-empty.

And if you use up all your stamina?

Yep.

You passed out because you worked too hard. You need to take care of your body. You should go home today and really rest. When you feel tired you should stop doing hard work. When you don't sleep enough, you get tired easily, so go to bed early. Understand?

Okay, take care.

So all you really get is a lecture. Oh, and a note.

7. Limitation Note

You failed and fell down, but sometimes that's important in life, too. A note for forging ahead though you fall down.

Of course, I don't plan to really do that again since running out of stamina instantly ends the day.

Another cloudy day. A good time to try for another note since cloudy days are kinda rarer than sunny ones.

Cows aren't really any more difficult than sheep.

They must be reaching for TV shows at this point.

Turnips are ready!

Each turnip gives a whopping 180 gold. That's some good money right there.

It's good to keep an extra or two for recipes or gifts.

Since I don't feel like growing more stuff today, I just water what's left and work on clearing the land some more.

And some more tilling.

I'm very keen on fishing tactics.

I buy one each of potato, cabbage, and breadfruit seeds. Potatos give the same amount of money regardless of soil quality, while breadfruit will regrow after harvest until the season's over, with each regrowth taking only a couple days. These types of crops are usually your best money makers.

But the game rewards you for shipping a variety, and it's not like it's hard to make money in the game, so I'll focus on stuff that gets notes.

It's in the "ranch" section of your menu.

I try to buy an egg, but I don't have enough money today. Guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow.

If you're going to raise chickens, buy a coop.

Sadly, I'm already getting to the point where people are repeating themselves constantly.

I spend the rest of the day foraging, eating some berries on the way to help my stamina.

Then I clear out the stump and collect some more lumber while making room for further crops. And with that, that's another day done.

A Mini Game is a teeny tiny game. I'll talk about how to play this game next week(music note)

Thanks for the explanation!

Some festivals and other events are mini games, and doing them unlock them in the main menu so you can do them with friends. You know, if playing multiplayer Harvest Moon minigames with you is a thing they'd willingly do.

Alright, now I buy the egg.

I also check out land prices, since I'll be needing more land for livestock. Out of my price range for now, but after a couple more harvests I should be well on my way towards rearing livestock.

I went ahead and put the egg in the festival basket, though the sign is vague and suggests taking the egg with you to the festival. But then what'd be the point of the blue basket?

8. Woodcutter Note

Cutting down trees to collect lumber. A note of gratitude for the years it takes for them to grow.

This one's pretty easy to get just from trying to clear your land.

I do one plot each of breadfruit, cabbage, and potatoes.

I actively try to stay outside all day today, so I rely a lot on random items to keep stamina up, as well as day-old sashimi.

Food won't actually go bad even if you leave it in your rucksack for weeks, of course.

9. Cloud Note

A cloudy day... A sense of coming rain. A blue feeling. A sense of blessing for flowers and grass.

Each of the four weather types (Sunny/Cloudy/Rain/Snow) have a note if you stay outside in that weather for ten hours. At least for sunny, that's a huge chunk of your day since it only counts time between 6am and 6pm, requiring ten of that twelve hours to be outside.

I'm getting all these annoying ones out of the way as quickly as possible so I don't have to go out of my way later to get them.

Speaking of another annoying one, I decided to stay up all night.

This pond has the same fish as the lake.

Unlike past HM games, you'll still get paid for depositing stuff late at night. The shipper comes in the morning instead of the evening.

You'll also see we hit Spring 8, the day of the egg festival.

Fishing in the ocean got three of these.

Lack of sleep will make you tired, of course, which means stamina will deplete more quickly.

Once the clock hits 6am, you'll teleport back to your house.

10. Night Owl Note

Tired from staying up all night. But you like to stay up sometimes. A note of the sound of night.

Another one I'm happy to be done with.

And what stinks is without sleep, our stamina won't replenish. And I've got a bunch of crops to water. Wonderful.

Next time, we'll experience our first festival!

Also, with eight out of ten bachelors now in town, it might be time to start considering who we should get to know better. And also if there's anybody else we might want to befriend while we're at it.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 1, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Carl might make for a good assistant. He'll provide you with the all-important coffee.

e: Switched my vote later.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 25, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Mega64 posted:

The mole is the one animal you can't pick up and cuddle. Instead, you want to smack it with a tool whenever possible. The game rewards you for being a jerk sometimes.

Sorry; what's the reward for smacking around the mole? It didn't appear to do much in that screenshot.

Also I vote we romance Bob.

Mega64 posted:

What a dreamboat ;-*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poulpe posted:

Sorry; what's the reward for smacking around the mole? It didn't appear to do much in that screenshot.

Do it ten times and you get a note. That's the second hit so far since I forgot to show off the first hit (plus it was behind a bunch of trees so it was hard to see).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bob strikes me as big enough to be useful, and dumb enough not to ask too many questions. I vote Igor Bob

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bob strikes me as big enough to be useful, and dumb enough not to ask too many questions. I vote Igor Bob

Wow, that's actually really good. Switching my vote to this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bob is the only right answer of course.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Bob all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Is this game like HM64 where different spouses are more useful/do different chores than others?

I mean, I like Carl for the coffee thing, but Bob's sheer animal attraction...rawr.

• Locked thread