Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Valt posted:

Egm be warned anything custom. Is mostly going to be met with hostility.

By who? CA? I think the people here are just concerned that running vintage cloth-wrapped wire through a bouncy hardtail motorcycle frame is a recipe for short circuits. No one says it's bad just because it's different. Just that there's a reason people use rubber coated wires these days and why wiring harnesses are usually built from new material, not something that's been rumbling around in an elevator for fifty years.

If it works, awesome, go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p339/...lors-available/

Cheap enough, used this along with modern wire on my bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You guys crack me up. I am using it because it was handy and cheap. We got something like 1000 feet of wire for 60 bucks. Which is enough to do the evo and shovels in my buddies garage plus mine and a bajillion feet extra for the next bikes we do. It's in really good shape. You would think it was brand new. Regardless it's the wire going in, I love the colors and the price.

I have ridden rigids before, they do bounce you out of the seat occasionally. It comes with the territory. I like the ride on a rigid a lot.

Edit: I looked at a pot of modern cloth wires but I couldn't find any good looking blue/silver/white ones. Just black red and yellow.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Sagebrush posted:

By who? CA? I think the people here are just concerned that running vintage cloth-wrapped wire through a bouncy hardtail motorcycle frame is a recipe for short circuits. No one says it's bad just because it's different. Just that there's a reason people use rubber coated wires these days and why wiring harnesses are usually built from new material, not something that's been rumbling around in an elevator for fifty years.

If it works, awesome, go nuts.

The vocal majority at least are very much against custom bikes.

The point is its not a factory bike that will see a hundred thousand miles. So the wiring isn't really going to matter unless its bare.

As far as bouncing goes, I was really just talking about spring seats. As non spring seats don't really bounce you. But spring seats bounce you out constantly, which I personally find really annoying.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Valt posted:

There's a huge difference between EGM's very clean, well thought out [1] build and Hipster Ricky chopping the tail off of a CB350 because it looks cool.

[1]Wiring decisions notwithstanding

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Valt posted:

CA is very against bikes that aren't explicit art pieces, but will still never be ridden. This includes the ones that the owner rebuilds in their (usually cafe racer) vision and then finds the ergos / suspension etc suck so horribly that they make up excuses to give up riding it.

I'm not getting that vibe from EGR's build.

That being said, this is a comedy forum for nerds, expect some ribbing

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Valt posted:

The point is its not a factory bike that will see a hundred thousand miles. So the wiring isn't really going to matter unless its bare.

As far as bouncing goes, I was really just talking about spring seats. As non spring seats don't really bounce you. But spring seats bounce you out constantly, which I personally find really annoying.

No one's against custom bikes, they're just against bikes that end up stranding their owners because of poor design decisions. I'm hacking the gently caress out of a bike and no one's giving me poo poo about it (although they will once they see my welding...)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is it better welding than that BMW sidecar hack?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

Is it better welding than that BMW sidecar hack?

The guy that taught me how to weld told me after I got down on my own welding for being ugly and poo poo: "The only bad welds are those that don't hold".

And then he tried to snap the weld and couldn't, and proclaimed my welding good.

So with that in mind, I'm going to say I hope they are as good as the welds on the BMW hack because those appear to have held together. If they haven't, then I do hope they are better.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Z3n posted:

The guy that taught me how to weld told me after I got down on my own welding for being ugly and poo poo: "The only bad welds are those that don't hold".

And then he tried to snap the weld and couldn't, and proclaimed my welding good.

So with that in mind, I'm going to say I hope they are as good as the welds on the BMW hack because those appear to have held together. If they haven't, then I do hope they are better.

Welds don't need to be pretty. You just need to make sure you're getting good penetration. I wasn't 100 % on my welding till I saw some samples in half and tried bending a few butt welds. You feel pretty drat good when nothing fails .

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCoconutman posted:

Welds don't need to be pretty. You just need to make sure you're getting good penetration. I wasn't 100 % on my welding till I saw some samples in half and tried bending a few butt welds. You feel pretty drat good when nothing fails .

Yeah I sawed through a few of mine, saw good penetration with no voids, pretty cool. Anyways, that's enough derailing. Looking forward to the rest of the progress on this bike :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I didn't take any pictures this weekend but we got the oil tank welds all ground down and looking pretty, we need to do a bit more spot filling to make sure its good and some final cleanup. Working on getting the back tire mocked up to measure how long of a belt I am going to order. We were thinking of converting it to a chain but the cost of the kits are just something I don't want to spend money on.

For those worried about the wiring oddly enough it is actually shielded in plastic beneath the cloth. We were rewiring a shovelhead this weekend and while FH was soldering I noticed him stripping the plastic and asked, he said "Of course its shielded, who uses unshielded wiring?" Pretty funny.

Although while we were stripping the shovel down the owner noticed the right side frame rail in the back above the swingarm had sheared at the factory weld. Completely separated. It was one of the down tubes so it was pretty unlucky. I got to cut out a new gusset to match the left side and they rewelded the thing using the gusset to make it stronger, then had to shave down the new gusset to allow access to the swing arm axle (which is why there isn't one there on factory frames from what we can tell).

All in all a good weekend.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Got my fender in today, I had it custom made by ledsled to match my tire exactly. Can't wait to get it on the frame and start the sissy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so I sold my old honda last night and went on a buying spree. Got the chain conversion from ledsled, which is great, it has a beautiful chrome back sprocket. Got a new Dyna-S ignition system and coil to replace the old ignition. Ordered a new internal throttle and bars and Im heading up to Austin on Sunday to grab a set of brass DBBP risers that look like old flander's style risers. They are beautiful. Hopefully they look just as good in person.

We haven't gotten much accomplished over the past few weeks because FH was trying to get his Shovelhead finished for Giddy Up. But next week we shoujld start cranking through things and finishing all the fab work and getting everything off to powder coat and chrome.

I'm debating next year getting a custom paint job done by Dimes at Liquid Illusions up in St Louis as well as some engraving done on the rocker boxes, primary cover and timing cover.

I also got the seat in from Rich Phillips in St Louis. He is a friend of one of my buddies up there and the seat is beautiful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
That seat is gorgeous. Good get!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright the chain conversion came In today so we can finally move ahead with the frame. I grabbed the pieces from ledsled and they are beautiful.

There is the chromed rear sprocket

We also did some work yesterday on making the taillight, FH lathed out the middle of the valve cap while I polished up the brass and ground down the lens and the Victorian brass thingy. We fitted it all together and it works really well.

That's the pieces and here it is all lit up

Should have some actual updates later this week on progress on the actual bike instead of just parts collecting and creating.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright we got some pieces in and started getting to work.

Chain conversion in and set up. We are going to take one link out to snug the tire up a bit, then work on a fender that can move. Basically we will weld the bungs so that spacers can be added to slide the fender backwards as the chain loosens over time. The plan is to center a bung in the fender and run round stock from the side rails of the frame and shape it around the fender, then cut the middle out and weld a bung in. We will do this at the bottom the frame and at the top so there are two places to secure the fender to the frame. The sissy will tilt just slightly to allow movement of the fender. This will make sense when you see it.

Rear brake, possible seat location, close to that at least and then a wide view of the chain on the bike, I hate that mag wheel and want to replace it with a spoke as soon as I can. Anyone have a spoked 16 inch sporty wheel?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 10, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's some excellent fabrication work. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bugdrvr posted:

That's some excellent fabrication work. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.

Yeah I'm liking how it's coming together. We have a lot to do but it's finally moving along as almost all the parts are in.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Looks good thus far, I've always liked the look of a rigid. As for a spoked wheel, there's always chopper surplus if nobody else has one, http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/wheels/spokes/40spokeshovel.html

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
What's your plan for finish on the frame/tank/oil tank? Can you electroplate a tank without ruining the inside?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

What's your plan for finish on the frame/tank/oil tank? Can you electroplate a tank without ruining the inside?

Unfortunately no.

The current plan is to leave the tank stock until next year and paint the fender to match it for now. I will paint the shift lever the colors of the tins.
The frame will get a big fat silver metal flake powder coat job. So it will be silver, but not chrome. A few other pieces will be powder coated to match as well. The battery box, compressor housing, a few linkages and some other assorted things.
The oil tank will be chrome, the primary cover, chain sprocket cover, exhaust, bars and sissy along with various bric-a-brac will be chromed. My pegs and front brake lever are already chrome.
The exhaust tips, shift knob, tail light, timing cover, solenoid, other air connections/valves and risers are brass.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Ran back up to Austin again the grab these risers, even with 2 trips to get them they are worth it. man I love these things

Edit: guess I should add some info, these are made by DBBP from Norway. He had a reputation as one of the best riser builders for choppers. They are brass top and bottom but the bar grips and round part in the middle are admiralty bronze for added strength and durability. You can see the colors very clearly in real life, not so much in the photos.

Can't wait to get them on the Sporty.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 13, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Those gears look really off, how many teeths on each (maybe I'm just not used to HD gearing)?

Very nice looking build anyway!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Those gears look really off, how many teeths on each (maybe I'm just not used to HD gearing)?

Very nice looking build anyway!

23 front 48 back. That's the normal gearing on a Sportster.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I thought oem were:

883 - 27 tooth front
1200 - 29 tooth front

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

I thought oem were:

883 - 27 tooth front
1200 - 29 tooth front

Yup and a 61 tooth rear pulley for the belt. It's the same gearing.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yup and a 61 tooth rear pulley for the belt. It's the same gearing.

Ahh same ratio. Cool. Risers are sweet! Bike is looking great.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Ahh same ratio. Cool. Risers are sweet! Bike is looking great.

Yeah the size difference between a chain tooth and a belt tooth are pretty noticeable when you hold them up side by side. The gears and pulleys are the same size if you held them next to each other but because the chain links are further apart it makes them a lower count but same ratio.

We haven't gotten much (read anything at all) done on the sporty recently. FH couldn't get his new shovel to keep running under load. it would rev fine, start fine and all that but as soon as it came to moving when the clutch was let all the way out the bike would sputter and die. We went through all kinds of things

Electrical - everything fine
Carb - rejetted - no good... Replaced his super e with my super e - no good
Ignition - replaced his dyna s with my new dyna s - no good. Replaced the timing weights - no good
Clutch - pulled the clutch plates and reassembled everything - no good

what the gently caress could it be?!??!

Flattened cam. gently caress you camshaft.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright update time. I let this get a bit stale because with FH doing his finals and trying to get the shovel working I got nothing fabricated on this thing. But now I did.

We got the new chain kit in but the chain and sprocket hit the frame. DOH! Cut ti apart and pulled it out half an inch, rewelded everything with new slugs. Pain in the rear end but it works now. Then we made some new spacers to put on the axles and got everything lined up. Fun times.

Gusset in for the seat and to firm up the frame a bit more.

Oil bag in and mounted, holding the air springs up to make sure everything fits.

Springs mounted and shown closed and open. 3 inches of travel total. They are mounted to a plate they screw into, the tubing will come down underneath them and into the frame then route down to the compressor mounted in front of the battery.

Top mount of the springs with hinges to bolt the seat to to allow it to rotate as the spring inflate and deflate. Sitting all the way down it will rest against the frame a few inches off the fender.

The oil bag up close and if you look right in front of the battery you will see the metal plate on the side of the compressor. Its only 2x3 inches so the thing is tiny.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hey EGM, tell me about those air springs. Who makes 'em and where'd you get 'em? I ask because I might be putting air bags on a golf cart next month.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Safety Dance posted:

Hey EGM, tell me about those air springs. Who makes 'em and where'd you get 'em? I ask because I might be putting air bags on a golf cart next month.

They are goodyear, but firestone and a couple other manufacturers make them as well. If you are doing suspension for an entire golf cart you will need bigger than the ones for my rear end. But they are pretty cheap on this site.

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/AIR-SPRINGS.HTML

These guys are cheaper than anyone else and ship really fast.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Things are coming along. We got all the pieces for the air ride in their final places as well as getting the rear brake cylinder mounted and the foot clutch linkages made. The most fun part of this weekend so far was making the jockey shifter.

It's one piece of round stock twisted and hammered and ground down until we got the pattern that will resemble the sissy bar. The screw was just there to hold the linkage in place. We then put a bung in that little twist, welded it in and the linkage now attaches right there and looks really good, but we did that after I got my photos.

The knob itself is an original knob I bought from an old Victorian house circa 1880. So it's a nice little piece of history. We attached it by tapping one side to add a set screw, welding some shaved down square stock t the shifter and drilling a hole for the set screw to go into. It's pretty securely in place.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 9, 2014

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Pretty cool, you don't see many "suicide shifts" anymore.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Awesome thread, you're doing the sort of build I wish I could do.

Are you sure that shifter is going to be strong enough?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Awesome thread, you're doing the sort of build I wish I could do.

Are you sure that shifter is going to be strong enough?

Yeah its 5/16" steel. Its not going to break and its welded middle and bottom. The only part that is just the round stock is the corkscrew. It doesn't even try to flex when we shift it through the gears.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Are you doing a kickstart conversion? I saw someone managed to figure out a kit for the 1991-2003 years.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I suddenly find myself having vivid flashbacks to the pain of breaking my leg at 15 years old.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Nah no kicker on this one, not much done because of vacations and me moving over to a new job so nothing really to update either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah no kicker on this one, not much done because of vacations and me moving over to a new job so nothing really to update either.

I hoped for some more eye candy. You sure did give me some ideas for makeover that my XL1200 will have next summer (but definitely not getting the jockey shift myself)

• Locked thread