Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Fel should be 22 minimum. :v:

It looks like you dropped 5 from BS and 10 from Fel to add 10 to Int.

Oh, nope. I see why TBN said that now. Fel should just plainly be 31. Savvy gave me the other +5 to Int.

Thanks, guys!

When I was copying over my stats, I was replacing a pre-filled poo poo, so I think I just messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kragg Gehanborson

I beat people up for money. It is poo poo work, and my knuckles are usually bleeding by the time I am finished. What it does do is keep food on my table and my family's table. It is a rough world out there, and my father always tells me that we have to be hard to survive in it. I am. I am hard as stone.

My last job went smooth as snot. Stupid kid thought that he could get away with not settling his gambling debts but I caught up to him in his usual bar and taught him better. Maybe I kicked him a few times extra, but he had it coming, mouthing off like that. I did not care who his mother was, and neither did my boot. Turns out, I should have cared.

A few days later, I am walking down the street, not a care in the world. Suddenly, I could not move a muscle, just froze in the middle of the street and fell down. Broke my nose when I hit the ground. Then this tiny little woman with a lot of big hulking guards tells me I should not have hurt her little boy and starts putting the boot in. Luckily, I do not remember much after that until I woke up here; telling you my cautionary tale. Never, ever take a job without checking out the mark, and who might care about them first.

pre:
Kragg Gehanborson, Male Dwarf 
Careers: Protagonist (Bully Boy)

Height - 5'2, Weight - 140 Star Sign - Grungi's Baldric
Hair - Granite Gray, Eyes - Copper
Age - 20, Birthplace - Karak Norn (Grey Mountains)
Siblings - 2+ (Kallon M, Katrin F)
Distinguishing Mark - Huge Nose

WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	WP	Fel
57	31	44	47	28	33	39	27

A	W	SB	TB	M	Mag	IP	FP
2	13	4	4	3	1	2	2

Weapons:
Orcish Large mace (SB+1, with the Impact (roll 2d10, keep highest for damage) and Tiring (impact only applies for the first attack) Qualities)
3 Orcish daggers SB-3 range 6/12 Reload Half

Equipment:
50' rope worn as belt
Tattered and battle-worn Marienburg gang clothing (Kragg has consistently refused orc/slaver garb to replace his own)

Skills
Common Knowledge (Dwarfs) (int)
Dodge Blow (Agi): 1/round, agi test to avoid an attack
Haggle (Fel)
Intimidate (Str)
Outdoor Survival (Int)
Ride (Agi)
Speak Language (Khazalid)
Speak Language (Reikspiel)
Trade (Stoneworker) (Agi)

Talents: 
Dwarfcraft	      +10% on some Trade skills (Stoneworker)
Grudge-born Fury      +5% WS vs Orcs, Goblins, and Hobgoblins
Night Vision 	      Can see 30 yds in natural darkness
Resistance to Magic   +10% on Will Power Tests to resist magic
Resistance (+10% on checks) to Cold-, Weather-, or Water-based effects
Stout-hearted 	      +10% vs Fear, Terror, and Intimidation
Street Fighting       +10% Ws & +1 damage when unarmed
Strike Mighty Blow    +1 damage in melee
Strike to Injure      +1 crit value or
Strike to Stun        Strength vs Toughness (+10% per AP on head)
                      test to stun for 1d10 rounds
Sturdy	 	      No Move penalty in heavy/plate armor

Quick Draw            Ready Action is a free action once per round
Suave                 +5% Fel, already included

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Next, each of you gets 400 XP; you can spend it immediately on whatever Career Advances you wish.

Kragg gains +2 Weapon Skill, +1 Strength, +1 Toughness, +1 Intelligence, +1 Willpower, and +1 Fellowship
Purchased Advancements:
Attacks +1
Strength +5%
Strength +5%
Willpower +5%

TychoBrahesNose posted:

[i]To start with material goods, you have:
Also, everyone gets 325 XP.

Next up is the last of the direct ability score increases before we move solely to the standard method for improving traits:
Kragg gets +2 Agility, +2 Will, +2 Strength, +4 WS, +1 Int, +1 Magic

And finally is the D&D Birthright-style Bloodline abilities:
Kragg acquire Blood Lineage: Verena (Minor)
As those now possessing Divine Heritage, each of you gets +1 Wounds

Standing Above the Breakers (Toughness):
You possess Resistance (+10% on checks) to Cold-, Weather-, or Water-based effects, as well as the Outdoor Survival skill.
The Major version of this power gives you natural armor and immunity to cold-, weather-, or water-based effects.
This seems appropriate for Kragg, but the decision is up to you.
Purchased Advancements:
WS +5%
WS +5%
Agi +5%
25xp left

Available from Protaganist
Wounds +1
Wounds +1
Agi +5%
Willpower +5%
Menacing, Gossip

Planned Career Exit: Duelist

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 3, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
T-24(ish) hours until recruit closes. Last call for murder victims characters!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Recruit is now closed. The (un)lucky chosen are:

John Dyne: Erik, Norse Berserker
dichloroisocyanuric: Angran Thelesian, Elven Scribe
Waci: Ilsa, Human Initiate of Shallya
Scribbleykins: Mathuviel Thylenin, Elven Thief
Lord Hypnostache: Friedrich, son of Franz, Human Peasant
Epicurius: Otto Förster, Human Woodsman
LLSix: Kragg Gehanborson, Dwarven Protagonist

If you were not selected initially, let me know if you are interested in being called up as a replacement should another player back out at any point. There is an assortment of not-yet-PCs in the same boat as the rest, and they can be easily integrated into the campaign should the need arise.

Game is live!

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 1, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Things I particularly like from the initial introduction to your characters, that I am looking forward to being developed as the game progresses:

* Erik's reserved demeanor -- an interesting choice for a berserker
* Angran's circumspection and equanimity regarding his dire circumstances
* Ilsa's challenge to live according to the tenets of the Cult of Shallya -- will her experiences strengthen her faith, or break it?
* Mathuviel's casual racism -- who said the protagonists of the story had to be good people? -- and her attempts to hide her vulnerability
* Friedrich's insufferably sunny and wide-eyed ignorance
* Otto's intense desire to be reunited with his family. Not that it will work out, necessarily, but it provides fantastic opportunities to drive the plot
* Kragg's gruff first person narrative style

Of course, these are just my own particular ideas; feel free to run with them, but also don't let my feedback stop you from coming up with completely different motivations and character development than I expect.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Scribbleykins posted:

Should I hurry this along with more Pick Lock rolls per post?

I don't want to cut off characters' conversations, or their opportunities to free themselves, but there's no sense in dragging this out either. How about for each post you just roll enough times to beat a Challenging (i.e., -10%) Skill Test? Since you're starting with Kragg, you can edit your post to reflect this, and if someone else accomplishes something in the meantime, you can then change your subsequent actions. But the only other person who's currently free will take some time to search the boat in any case, so it's not essential that we match your actions round-by-round.

Also, it seems a bit unrealistic to me that a single splinter of wood would stand up to repeated lockpicking attempts, so let's say that if any attempt results in 2 or more degrees of failure, then the wood snaps and you have to go find a different tool. Splinters are everywhere, so it'll be an Easy Perception test to find an appropriate replacement -- go ahead and include such Perception test(s) in any given post if it's relevant -- the issue at that point just becomes how much time it takes everyone to get out of this deathtrap.

For those of you relying on Strength to bust your way out, others can help you once they're mobile (even if they still have their own chains on) -- let's just say such cooperation reduces the difficulty by half of their Strength characteristic (so 31 Str adds 15, making the feat halfway between Challenging and Hard instead of simply Very Hard).

Also, Scribbleykins, are you on IRC? I'm usually in #acolyte or #badwrongfun throughout the (Australian) day; these conversations will likely have quicker turnaround if you want to hold them in that venue instead. But posting in this thread is perfectly fine too.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Gotcha; rolls and fluff text has been updated. Not to spoil things, but repeat attempts at freeing folks by way of Pick Locking probably won't be an issue.

I do have an IRC client and can log in to see if you're around the next time I have a question.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Scribbleykins, that is some awesomely abysmal rolling. I hope the others give Mathuviel no end of poo poo for wasting precious minutes not freeing them while the boat rides lower and lower in the water...

LLSix posted:

breakin' out: 1d100 11 2 DoS? but still a failure for a very hard test unless I can get a break from having maybe weakened the chains during the crash/my intro post? Or a success if Mathuviel can help?!

I had not volunteered the information before you tried your chains, but indeed having several degrees of success on your initial strength test means that the chains took the brunt of the impact, and trying to break them in the same exact spot makes your test easier than Very Hard -- which means you succeed, with or without Mathuviel's help. I will have a post to that effect up (along with updates for everyone else) once I know what Otto and Friedrich are doing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I like that Mathuviel can apparently hear a low growl and Friedrich shouting in spite of the fact that Friedrich and Erik can't hear each other or Growt due to the winds, surf, and distance. Those are some ears. :sparkles:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

I like that Mathuviel can apparently hear a low growl and Friedrich shouting in spite of the fact that Friedrich and Erik can't hear each other or Growt due to the winds, surf, and distance. Those are some ears. :sparkles:

Hey, I was thinking you were going for that good ol' berserkin' snarl there. Not my fault you're a disappointment to your career. :colbert:

To be honest, I thought Friedrich shouting loudly would at least be vaguely within listening range. If that's not the case, then I messed up and took too much creative freedom. I'd edit, but Ilsa and Otto already got off some posts reacting to it, so I won't unless Tycho requests it. Feel free to call down the hammer on me for it, though, Tycho. I'll happily autofail a roll later on to make up for this one, or whatever else seems fair.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Eh, I was picturing the scenario more along the lines of what Dyne is saying, but I have a rather high bar for vetoing player initiative/creativity. And it doesn't negatively impact the plot or story -- you're likely to have looked outside sooner or later anyway -- so rather than apply any mechanical penalty I'll just make fun of Mathuviel instead.

I hope I'm not cutting short Kragg's or Friedrich's actions, but I figure I already had some indication of what they were doing this round anyway.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Scribbleykins, Mathuviel can in fact aid in the grapple. I'll ponder exactly what it will accomplish (Adding half your Str, as with the escape attempts from the shackles? Requiring a second roll for Growt to escape the grapple?), but in the meantime you can roll to initiate the grapple, though success may not be determined until we know the outcome of Dyne's roll to control the grapple.

In general, y'all are welcome to roll any Tests for yourselves using Orokos or the online diceroller of choice. But if for some reason you want me to roll for you, just let me konw.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
dichloroisocyanuric: going for Growt's keys will be a very difficult (+20) Agility Test. Or just whacking Growt will be the usual WS test (at +15% , after all bonuses and penalties) -- you'll even get a bonus to damage since you're using more than just your fist. Gp ahead and pick whichever action you want to do and make the appropriate roll.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Dyne: Can you roll for your contested Strength test too, and add the result to your most recent post?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I am going to wait to see the results of John Dyne's action. Tempting though it is too keep beating on Growt even if he surrenders.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
LLSix, I like the spin you put on Kragg's failure of Toughness. If you're thinking that he's experiencing psychological trauma from recent events, we can certainly translate that into game mechanics, if you'd like. What I am thinking is that Kragg can have an Insanity Point or two, to start him on the path to hydrophobia or claustrophobia or something similar. (A dwarf with claustrophobia? Hmm...). If you want what amounts to a head start on mental derangement (and especially if you want to role-play consistent with that), I am willing to give Kragg a suitable reward to compensate when I first hand out XP. If you're not interested in that trade-off, though, that's perfectly fine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TychoBrahesNose posted:

LLSix, I like the spin you put on Kragg's failure of Toughness. If you're thinking that he's experiencing psychological trauma from recent events, we can certainly translate that into game mechanics, if you'd like. What I am thinking is that Kragg can have an Insanity Point or two, to start him on the path to hydrophobia or claustrophobia or something similar. (A dwarf with claustrophobia? Hmm...). If you want what amounts to a head start on mental derangement (and especially if you want to role-play consistent with that), I am willing to give Kragg a suitable reward to compensate when I first hand out XP. If you're not interested in that trade-off, though, that's perfectly fine.

I think developing the first stages of hydrophobia will be fun. Very dwarfy.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

This probably isn't a surprise at this point (since I've been so slow to respond already), but I haven't been able to and won't be able to post much for a bit. I'm in the middle of moving across the country and literally just had both of my computers break on me (including laptop.) I don't think I can keep the up a dedication to this while getting everything else I need done. If you want to boot me (since it'll be really bizarre to not be in for weeks and then suddenly show back up), that's fine. Otherwise, I will let you know as soon as I'm settled in. Do whatever is best for you, TBN.

I really am sorry about this.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat. That's a shame. Good luck with the move (and fixing your computers), Dichlo.

Tycho, what's the state of the game right now? Waiting for more player posts? If people are dropping out for long periods due to RL or lack of interest would it be possible to recruit more people? Or do you want to keep running it at the current pace and hope posting picks up?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
dichloroisocyanuric, Angran can be an NPC for the time being; just let me know once you're back in posting shape.

With regards to the slow progress: has anyone seen Lord Hypnostache lately? I've not seen anything from him in the MIA thread, and apparently he's still posting elsewhere. At the moment, I am waiting on him and Waci (with whom I've already chatted), but I'll have a post up in the near future regardless.
If I get confirmation of a lack of interest/time from anyone, then I'll definitely bring up a replacement from the previous apps (assuming they're still interested). But I don't want to add someone new at this point, since waiting on yet another person to post could only exacerbate the problem.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Sorry! Still here, I just didn't know what to post about, besides standing around aimlessly.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, there was that one ship to plunder, made readily accessible by rope, although it's become a moot point.

So now we have ourselves a mystery wineskin, some clothes, a secret macguffin, a fair bit of wood and rope, a door...

And no food or shelter-y items.

Best find that inn soon. :v:

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Lord Hypnostache: that's fine, I just wasn't sure if you were still around or not. Are you on IRC? If so, that makes it easy to find out whether I should be waiting on you in any given instance or not. Even a post in the OOC thread to the effect of "I got nothing; don't wait for me" would be sufficient.

Scribbleykins: you got a significant fraction of the stuff that could be gotten from the ship; probably the only important item you missed was the crossbow. Oh, and the GPS locator/satellite phone.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Also, LLSix, not that it matters terribly, but I just discovered that the proper term for Kragg's budding condition is "aquaphobia", not "hydrophobia" (thanks, Wikipedia!).

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Scribbleykins: you got a significant fraction of the stuff that could be gotten from the ship; probably the only important item you missed was the crossbow. Oh, and the GPS locator/satellite phone.

Bah, crossbows. See these pointy ears? Give me the ol' regular bow any day.

Really, I mostly bemoan the lack of sailcloth, which would've been handy in making a tent or lean-to or at least fashion into waterproof cloaks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

Bah, crossbows. See these pointy ears? Give me the ol' regular bow any day.

Really, I mostly bemoan the lack of sailcloth, which would've been handy in making a tent or lean-to or at least fashion into waterproof cloaks.

Maybe we'll get lucky and stumble over a troll fire or inn and not need to camp rough.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Also, LLSix, not that it matters terribly, but I just discovered that the proper term for Kragg's budding condition is "aquaphobia", not "hydrophobia" (thanks, Wikipedia!).

Nope, sorry. LLSix is rabid now.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and stumble over a troll fire or inn and not need to camp rough.

I think troll fire still counts as camping rough when you're being spun on a spit above it.

Epicurius posted:

Nope, sorry. LLSix is rabid now.

Hah! I didn't even know that's what it really meant!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
So, just curious what sort of posting frequency people are expecting/hoping for...because a few people post more or less immediately after I update, while others can take a while. Is there a particular time (weekends?) when people are more available, so I know when to expect posts and/or prepare my own updates? Since y'all are running this at least as much as I am, I don't want to put pressure on people, but I also want to make sure that the people who are a bit more gung-ho don't get bored waiting around either.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Posted. Most days work well for me. The main question about getting a post in under 24 hours is if I've got company, which could be any day of the week. A lot of times I don't post either because I'm waiting for someone else to post or don't really have a lot to say (like this time). I'm very interested in continuing, but please don't ever feel like you need to wait for me to post.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
It's also tricky when some people are chatty, and others are more action-oriented. I don't want to cut off any potential character interaction/development, but I also don't want to hold things up just so two characters can chat about the weather for three pages (though actually, in the particular circumstances facing the characters just now, the weather is definitely worth factoring into any decisions).

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I can post every couple of days, I live with a very irregular schedule so every day of the week is equally bad/good. I do appreciate you asking this question from us!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Scribbleykins, I find it entirely fitting that Mathuviel can't be arsed to keep different human tongues straight -- since none of them have the timeless melodious qualities of Eltharin, what does it matter whether the round-ears refer to their assorted barbaric vocalizations as Reikspiel or Norscan or anything else?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When it comes to posting frequency, I can usually get in a post most days. Weekends or whenever I have an evening free I can post even more regularly provided the thread is active. Sometimes work or real life activities keep me a little busy several days in a row, but it's relatively rare I don't have time to at least check in.

Of course, it depends on how active everyone else is.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Scribbleykins, I find it entirely fitting that Mathuviel can't be arsed to keep different human tongues straight -- since none of them have the timeless melodious qualities of Eltharin, what does it matter whether the round-ears refer to their assorted barbaric vocalizations as Reikspiel or Norscan or anything else?

They say potayto pohtato, I say lamenibas, primitives.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Post edited. Included a question to the group on where and how we want to move from here, now that we know there's a battle going on.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The greenskins are at the base of a valley with rocks near the ledge. I say we push rocks down on them until they die. We'd be hard put to find a better ambush opportunity even if we are outnumbered more than 2-1

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Isn't our best bet to not get involved and run and hide? I mean, we're not in shape to take on enemies. We're unarmed, not very skilled, and just got off a boat that almost sunk after a fairly long ride where we had been starved and beaten.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

That was my first thought too. Also my second. But if we win we'll get some decent weapons. Our next chance to get gear is probably going to be robbing someone in even worse shape than us, which means probably robbing civilians and getting next to nothing and pissing off the local law. Plus, the greenskins are down in a ravine. If we start taking too much damage we can run away. What are they going to do? Flap their arms and fly up the cliff to chase us?

There's also the injured, maybe human to think about. Greenskins could be fighting over who gets to eat him and I don't relish leaving him to that fate.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
That seems like a rather big if though. Lets do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Might want to bring your views to us in-character as well, then! Mathuviel was, at best, just thinking of looting the battlefield after the fighting's over, particularly since the goblins had bowmen, but if enough people want to go to the fight, the rest can stay behind with our loot and the munchies.

Mathuviel will reluctantly come along with the combat party to provide support, but only because she knows she's faster, and can hide better, than any of you. :v:

But first an important number of questions for our GM: Tycho, can Matti recall whether the fighting would be in reach of lobbed rocks? Could she actually see a number of boulders, rocks or the like to throw down/avalanche onto the fighting below? Would it seem likely to take the greenskins some time to actually attempt ascending the cliff and/or going around to get to the top?

• Locked thread