Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I watched that intro a second time since I was overly focused on the visuals, and that really overshadowed the awesome as gently caress new version of the theme.

What instrument is that playing the actual melody? It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before, and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I just want them to bring back the Middle Eight. It's the best part!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

I just want them to bring back the Middle Eight. It's the best part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2oCK89xxNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBkFaBr0Ys

:colbert:

EDIT - Why won't it let you link the "start at 0:30" thing? Ah, you knew what I was getting at.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

After The War posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2oCK89xxNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBkFaBr0Ys

:colbert:

EDIT - Why won't it let you link the "start at 0:30" thing? Ah, you knew what I was getting at.

I have no idea what you're getting at, the Middle Eight in both of those is incredible.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

I have no idea what you're getting at, the Middle Eight in both of those is incredible.

People -- in this thread, no less! -- have spoken against them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FINALLY, the first season of the 4th Doctor Adventures is part of a discounted package for today's Big Finish deal. Yay Tom!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Noooooo 4th Doctor series 1 AND Dark Eyes 1 and 2 on sale on the same day

This is worse than a Steam sale.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I watched that intro a second time since I was overly focused on the visuals, and that really overshadowed the awesome as gently caress new version of the theme.

What instrument is that playing the actual melody? It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before, and I love it.

Wait a minute, where is this version of the intro which doesn't have a lot of hooting goons yelling over the top of it and you can hear the theme properly?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Trin Tragula posted:

Wait a minute, where is this version of the intro which doesn't have a lot of hooting goons yelling over the top of it and you can hear the theme properly?

There isn't one. They are actually part of the official theme.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheezle posted:

There isn't one. They are actually part of the official theme.

dun-dun-dun-dunn
dun-dun-dun-dunn
dun-dun-dun-dunn
OH MY GAWD
woo-ee-ooo
wee-oo-eee

EDIT:

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Noooooo 4th Doctor series 1 AND Dark Eyes 1 and 2 on sale on the same day

This is worse than a Steam sale.

It really is. I need money for food, don't they realise?

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I could totally go to a cinema opening of the new episode but I have no interest in people hootin' and a-hollerin' over MY TV show. Maybe if they did a late night repeat.

Also I've already paid for it once through my TV license.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Psybro posted:

I could totally go to a cinema opening of the new episode but I have no interest in people hootin' and a-hollerin' over MY TV show. Maybe if they did a late night repeat.

Also I've already paid for it once through my TV license.

Yeah, that's sort of how I feel. I'm sure going to Day of the Doctor would've been fun, and I'm sure Deep Breath would be too, but Doctor Who isn't a 'big live experience with audience responses' thing to me. It's something that I sit down and watch, quietly, at home, possibly with my dad but otherwise alone. Sure I can nerd out about it after the fact, but during it is a quiet, personal affair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Planet of the Ood is a fun if unremarkable story whose biggest flaw is that it doesn't cover any new ground. It does what it does well, but no better than any other story that has covered similar themes or development of character. In the end it is pretty forgettable, even the worst aspects of it tend to be so middle-ground that they don't stand out enough even to be mocked, and I imagine the reaction of most people to seeing the episode name is,"Oh yeah, that was an episode."

The Ood were first seen in the Satan two-parter from season 2, and they all died at the end of those episodes leaving some troubling questions about their status as "willing" slaves. This story attempts to address those issues, which is probably the most memorable thing about it, but it does it in a pretty hackneyed way. The Ood are slaves, pure and simple, and the eye-rolling justifications from the future humans questioned about it ("they WANT to serve!") never sat well with me. In season 2, the concept is introduced and then quickly sidelined by the imminent threat of the escape of The Beast, and the only nod towards seeing them as equals comes in the final tally of dead crewmembers. This is perhaps the only fresh element this story brings to the show, the rejection of the notion that any race, anywhere, in any time, deserves or WANTS to be a slave. Earlier episodes made the point that 21st Century morality isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all, but this episode rejects any notion that the Ood's status is a good thing, and especially rejects the callous treatment that the humans give them. The Ood are victims, exploited and mistreated, even the so-called "Friends of the Ood" seem to have an air of condescension to them. It's actually a pretty wonderful thing that their eventual freedom comes about through their own actions/planning, as opposed to those of the Doctor or even Donna. Sure they try to help, as does the undercover "Friend", but it is the Ood themselves who actually put things in motion and bring things to a peaceful conclusion... as well as take the one human most responsible for their miserable lot in life and gain the ultimate revenge by making him one of them (even if exactly how that happens doesn't make a goddamn lick of sense).

RTD's era had an odd mixture of the optimistic and the pessimistic, alternating between showing a future where everything was wonderful and then showing there was something rotten at the core. This story is set during The Second Great and Bountiful Human Empire, which at first sounds wonderful and uplifting until it is revealed that it is entirely built on the free labor and servitude of The Ood. None of the humans in the story have any redeeming features, with perhaps the exception of Dr. Ryder, who only gets maybe half a minute revealed as anything other than another rear end in a top hat exploiting the Ood. This is to the story's detriment, the humans are almost cartoonishly evil in the attempt to show how blase society is over their treatment of the Ood. If that is the case, and since as far as I know the Ood's "song" is only heard by the humans on the planet, it strikes me as a little unbelievable that the ENTIRE human empire suddenly gives up the most convenient and accepted time/labor-saving "device" they know. The writer wants to have his cake and eat it too - humanity as a whole is complicit in accepting the lie that the Ood WANT to be slaves, but also far too eager and accepting of giving up that lie. The only humans we do get to see are just horrible, horrible people. There's Halpen who is straight out of the "evil corporate fatcat" textbook and ends up changing far more than his mind; Commander Kess who has the distinction of being in one of the most embarrassingly awful scenes in the show's history, involving the Doctor and a giant claw; and Solana who has the most interesting arc, another human who fails to take inspiration from the Doctor, somebody who seems to better suit the look of the show's typical companion (like Penny in Partners in Crime) and proves unworthy, though her fate is more fatal than Penny's. Then there are the nameless characters and executives, who are indifferent or bemused by the plight of the Ood and treat them as accessories - that's the point of them, but the lack of any sympathetic humans (outside of the time displaced Donna) means the story lacks depth.

Donna once again proves her competence, her practicality, and most importantly her insight - especially in the way she see things that the Doctor does not. That's all wonderful, but it is nothing we haven't already seen in the previous two episodes. She puts aside her gushing about being on an alien planet to go back into the TARDIS and put on sensible warm clothing. She immediately questions the morality of the Ood's slavery. She picks up on the fact that the Ood being born with an external secondary brain means they need to be trusting (questionable, but a lovely way of looking at things). But she also isn't some paragon of virture or the perfection of humanity, when the Doctor opens up her mind to hear the Ood's lament she can't bear it and makes him close her mind again to prevent her experiencing the pain (she suffer the same thing unwillingly at the end of the season). She's a good person, but she's not a saint, and it is her flaws as well as her virtues that help make her such an interesting and compelling character. Martha suffered in that regard, and so did season 2 Rose (though she did at least have a character arc). Donna's single season allowed her to develop and grow, and finished things off in a strong way.

David Tennant gives about the same level of performance he normally gives, whether you think that is a good thing or not. It is mostly reactive though, he just runs around from catastrophe to catastrophe, figuring out what is going on but not really instigating anything. About the most proactive thing he does is in his speech to Solana, which fails to make any difference, and the most memorable part of the story for him is probably, sadly, in the awful, awful chase scene. In the climax he gets a worrisome bit of foreshadowing of his approaching death when he is told that his "song" is soon to end, and there is also a slight bit of a wink towards the "Doctor-Donna" ending of the season, hidden away in a bit of linguistic mangling and a repeat of the joke about the Doctor and Donna being a couple.

The story ends with Donna committed fully to traveling again after being horrified by the revelation of the slavery propping up the future of humanity, which makes it kind of amusing that the next two episodes will be set back in modern day London. It's not a bad story, but it fails to reach the heights of a truly good episode, and without wanting to seem too snobby it's not too much of a surprise considering it was written by Keith Temple, who produces scripts for the likes of Casualty and Emmerdale. I'm sure he's a perfectly serviceable writer and he delivered a perfectly serviceable episode, but those aren't the type of episodes that stand out in people's minds. It's directed by Graeme Harper, who directed for the classic show and also the revival, and in the latter he produces once again mostly perfectly serviceable stories (and sometimes the odd corker, like Waters of Mars). Despite the criticisms I've laid out, I don't discourage people from watching this episode, and it DOES address a worrisome aspect of the Doctor Who universe introduced back in season 2. It's just that... well, you know.... it's easy to forget it exists, and even when you remember the one part you're probably most likely to remember is either the terrible claw scene or that bit where the rabid Ood leaps on a guard and tickles him to death.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh Tom!

Nick Briggs posted:

And in 2010, I started a long email correspondence with Tom. Eventually, he suggested we met. So David Richardson and I went to visit him and luckily it all went swimmingly well. I remember that Tom was full of outlandish suggestions, which he appeared to be reading from a note pad. When I looked at the pad, it was blank. To this day, Tom can offer no explanation as to what he was doing. ‘It must have been nerves,’ he said to me recently."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom has REVERSE psychic paper - it appears blank to everybody else!

:allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Tom has REVERSE psychic paper - it appears blank to everybody else!

:allears:

This makes so much drat sense.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
After the doctor who youtube channel put up some videos of capaldi doing press for the new season, it got me thinking: Is he the highest profile, most "known" actor to be cast in the role? Did the older guys have anything as big as "thick of it"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MattD1zzl3 posted:

After the doctor who youtube channel put up some videos of capaldi doing press for the new season, it got me thinking: Is he the highest profile, most "known" actor to be cast in the role? Did the older guys have anything as big as "thick of it"?

Christopher Eccelston, probably.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Peter Davison in All Creatures Great and Small.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Withnail and I?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alien.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Pertwee was really well known from radio as well.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Pertwee was really well known from radio as well.

That legendary funnyman of the musical theatre?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the only actors cast who were more or less complete unknowns were Tom Baker (who'd done a few films, but was famously working on a building site, purportedly of no fixed abode, and had to be given clothes from the costume department so he'd have something suitable to wear for his first press conference when he was cast), Sylvester McCoy and Matt Smith.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the only actors cast who were more or less complete unknowns were Tom Baker (who'd done a few films, but was famously working on a building site, purportedly of no fixed abode, and had to be given clothes from the costume department so he'd have something suitable to wear for his first press conference when he was cast), Sylvester McCoy and Matt Smith.

Sylvester had been on Tiswas for years before Who came about, so he was reasonably known.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

That legendary funnyman of the musical theatre?!

I was thinking more of The Navy Lark, but that picture is amazing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The pants are in a (now unusable) pot of dye and boiling water and the color is coming out perfect with pinstripes intact; the shoes are the exact shade of green; and the iron-on question-marks for the dress shirt are being made at this VERY MOMENT!

PROJECT SIX IS NEARLY COMPLETE!

Expect pictures of the full outfit within HOURS!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quick! Run to the store! You have time to go buy a home perm kit and a bottle of peroxide!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Make sure it's the bounciest mullet possible!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I have visions of DoctorWhat kidnapping Colin Baker and reenacting a serial or two...

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh, is that what the kids call it these days?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CobiWann posted:

I have visions of DoctorWhat kidnapping Colin Baker and reenacting a serial or two...

The Real Twin Dilemma.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually, I do need to get some paint for the toes/soles of the shoes that match the new color of the canvas portions, I need to have the pant legs shortened and the vest taken in, I don't have a cat badge yet, and the question-marks won't be ready to iron-on until 24 hours after they've been painted red.

But still, especially considering I've pushed completion even CLOSER (to the 14th for the just-announced NYC world tour premiere instead of the in-theater repeat on the 25th), this is GOING TO HAPPEN!

CobiWann posted:

What, you mean The Wrong Doctors? Because otherwise why would I need Colin?

I AM COLIN

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CobiWann posted:

"In order to capture Colin Baker I need to think like Colin Baker, and in order to think like Colin Baker I need to... become him."

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DoctorWhat posted:

Actually, I do need to get some paint for the toes/soles of the shoes that match the new color of the canvas portions, I need to have the pant legs shortened and the vest taken in, I don't have a cat badge yet, and the question-marks won't be ready to iron-on until 24 hours after they've been painted red.

But still, especially considering I've pushed completion even CLOSER (to the 14th for the just-announced NYC world tour premiere instead of the in-theater repeat on the 25th), this is GOING TO HAPPEN!

What, you mean The Wrong Doctors? Because otherwise why would I need Colin?

I AM COLIN

You need someone to play Commander Maxil, don't you?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
J, you say the reason the "they want to be slaves" didn't work as a justification for why humans would be okay with oods but Harry Potter is a series everyone watched and it got away with the same thing and even called someone out for being not okay with it.

And anyway it's far enough in the future that I can buy morals changing a bit

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Have some Hartnell, from a very well known (more so than The Thick of It) sitcom that had 154 episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A0unznlciY

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Well Manicured Man posted:

"In order to capture Colin Baker I need to think like Colin Baker, and in order to think like Colin Baker I need to... become him."

DoctorWhat finally meets Colin Baker, but upon laying eyes upon him, realizes...he's been Sylvester McCoy all along! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I met Colin back at NYCC 2013, in case you all forgot somehow.

• Locked thread