Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Then, during Tennant’s second season, Martha spent the entire time, from The Shakespeare Code all the way to “oh, she was blonde” in Utopia, living in Rose’s shadow.

Honestly I love Freema's delivery of this line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I try to take a positive approach to Doctor Who and avoid kneejerk reactions when I can, and maybe I'm a little too easy on some of the problematic stuff that comes up in individual episodes or across seasons as a whole. With that said, holy poo poo is The Doctor's Daughter bad. About the only redeeming thing I have to say about it is that it is NOT The Unicorn and the Wasp, which is perhaps even worse. I'm a big fan of season 4, which I think was the strongest of Tennant's seasons as the Doctor and which I know had the best companion in Donna... but these two episodes are AWFUL. I was surprised at just how bad they were, because I actually remember them being "only" not very good but at least not atrocious. I was wrong, these are quite conceivably two of the worst non-Christmas Special episodes of Doctor Who that the revival has done, a one-two punch of poo poo amidst an otherwise quality season of compelling episodes.

The Doctor's Daughter's big problem is that it attempts to force an emotional reaction that it simply hasn't earned, requiring enormous leaps of logic and some very out-of-character behavior in its attempt to fit in the message it seemed to be trying to deliver. Martha's presence is completely unnecessary, she could have been easily written out and not only would it have made no difference, but the story would have probably been stronger for it. The Doctor is written as an idiot incapable of answering nonsensical (and smug) accusations against him, and the twist/conceit of the episode only really makes sense on paper, as what appears on the screen fails to capitalize in any way on the intriguing concept. And the open ending... oh my God that ending may be one of the most groan-worthy things since the end of Fear Her.

Jolted through time and space unexpectedly by the TARDIS, the Doctor, Martha and Donna step out into an underground tunnel and are immediately held at gunpoint by young soldiers. The Doctor's hand is jammed into a device, he narrates what is happening to him and then out of a chamber steps a fully grown blonde woman in army gear, who the Doctor nonsensically declares to be his daughter. The title was deliberately misleading, probably specifically to kick up a fuss from fans and get them watching out of morbid curiosity. I recall plenty of people here strangely thinking that RTD would be arrogant enough to actually bring one of the Doctor's never-seen children into the show proper, but just as many accurately seeing it for what it was - a PR stunt to draw attention mixed with a bit of being too clever for his own good. The character - Jenny - is played by Georgia Moffet, the daughter of Peter Davison, and thus in reality "The Doctor's Daughter" (who plays Tennant's daughter on the show, only for them to fall in love and get married in real life, making Tennant both the Doctor AND the Doctor's Son(-in-Law). But there is also a frankly insulting plotline about the Doctor being unreasonable for not immediately accepting her as his responsibility or feeling any sense of paternal affection for her. Keep in mind his hand was forced into an unfamiliar device, his genetic material extracted and scanned, and a fully grown person was spat out the other end of the machine with a head full of a completely different culture's values. Keep in mind she was built specifically for war, that she basically represents the anti-thesis of everything he himself stands for. That this is compared in any way to fatherhood (deliberate or accidental) is ridiculous, and seeing Donna and Martha take that line is just nonsense - also notice that THEY aren't grabbed and have their genes extracted despite there being plenty of time before the attack comes, with some rubbish throwaway line about the machines being shut down for the night coming later on. That's the big problem with this story, the writer had a key element he wanted told - the Doctor has to deal with the creation of a "daughter" - and just jams the rest of the story around that whether it makes sense or not, whether characters would take that line or not.

There's long been an argument over nature vs nurture, but I have no idea where this story fits. Jenny is a soldier, identical to all the other human soldiers in the camp apart from the fact that she comes from different genetic stock to everybody else. She has all of their values, none of the Doctor's (why would she? She was "educated" by their culture's machines, and she never had an infancy or a childhood), and thus there is no reason for her to act any differently to any of them. But she does take exception to the Doctor calling her out on that, and is open to his way of thinking even though nobody else is (until they are later on!). Why? What difference is there? Donna seems to take her physical make-up as in some way proof of a connection between her and the Doctor that is simply non-existent, and demonstrates to him that Jenny has two hearts just like the Doctor does. This seems to hit home with him even though it makes no difference at all, he already knew she was extrapolated from his genetic material, of course she'd have a Time Lord's physiology. What's worst of all though is that she continually insists smugly that the Doctor is as much a soldier as she is, making crude and simplistic points that should be easily batted aside... except he just sits gaping like she's torn through all his possible arguments to some bullshit truth beneath it all (and Donna sits smugly beside him as if approving or agreeing with Jenny's points).

While all this is going on, Martha is having adventures with a fish-man whose speech is delivered through a water-breather, meaning all he ever says is,"Blub blub glub blub blub." She seems to pick up on his meaning most of the time and convinces him to go out onto the surface of the planet with her so they can get to their destination ahead of his fellow soldiers (why does he agree? She fixed his arm but he's still a soldier who believes they're going to a holy place). There he sacrifices himself bravely to save her life, sadly telling her,"Blub blub glub blub blub" as he dies and she shrieks in dismay.... why is Martha there? She serves zero purpose to the episode, the TARDIS is trapped behind rubble so she's not the one keeping the Doctor on the planet after he escapes captivity, and he mostly seems to forget about her until he runs into her again at the end. Martha has already had her big goodbye (twice!) and she's not even accompanying the Doctor on this adventure, and her Hath companion dies and the rest of them would have figured out which way to go when the Doctor unlocked the map anyway so she wasn't even needed for that. In fact, you could have left her out of the story entirely, had Donna be the one separated from the Doctor which forced him to team up with Jenny, and not only lost nothing but probably had a more streamlined episode. I simply don't get what purpose Martha serves to this story - none of which is a knock on Freema Agyeman, who as usual does a fine job with the material she has, it's just that there's really no reason for her to be around.

In the end, the Doctor figures out the mythology of both sides is based on their twisted understanding of the terraforming device in the spaceship at the center of their base. Donna has figured out the purpose of the numbers she keeps seeing (and the Doctor keeps ignoring), they're a dating system, which helps him figure out that the society is only a week old - the generations of warfare is generations of new soldiers being produced to fight on both sides every single day, with the original crew apparently wiped out by basically the first day and the survivors left to figure out things on their own without context. That's an intriguing concept that really makes no sense in the story as presented - why is one of the soldiers considerably older than the rest? They don't rapidly age (or do they?) so was he produced to be old from "birth"? In any case, the Doctor explains that the device will turn the planet into a paradise both sides can share in, and either through religious awe of "The Sigh" or because they take his words to heart, the purely military minded soldiers on both sides lay down their weapons. The old soldier doesn't like this and takes a shot at the Doctor, and Jenny throws herself in his way (of course). The Doctor is heartbroken, having apparently fully accepted her as his daughter and new traveling companion, and when it becomes clear her Gallifreyan physiology doesn't include the ability to regenerate, he becomes so enraged that he grabs the gun and makes to kill the old soldier... before making a big speech about how he's the man who never would and that must be the basis of their new society. It's.... garbage. His emotional extremes haven't been earned, he barely knows Jenny and though I'm sure he'd be sad at the death of anybody, the extent of his grief is just overblown, as is his sudden apparent overwhelming anger and the enormous effort of will it apparently takes to push past it.... and then not long after he's completely back to normal on Earth saying goodbye to Martha and ready to continue on some fun adventures with Donna.

There's one moment in this episode that stands out. Donna is needling the Doctor about not wanting a daughter to cramp his style, having a bit of a laugh at his expense. Quietly, he informs her that he HAD a family (a REAL one, not this genetic extrapolation bullshit, which might as well be loving looms), that they're dead, and that pointing to Jenny and calling her his daughter is just another cruel reminder of what he once had and can never have again. Donna is rocked by this revelation and apologizes, and that small, quiet moment is probably the most genuine and earned emotional moment in this otherwise ridiculous episode. It stands in isolation, it's presence actively making every other part of the episode look worse by comparison.... though nothing is as bad as the ending. Apparently it was Steven Moffat's idea - the dead Jenny (her "dad" had no problem leaving the body behind) belately comes back to life, either due to a late quasi-regeneration of some effect of the terraforming gases. She leaps up, steals the spaceship and flies off with an excited look on her face declaring she's going off to travel and have adventures. It's a groanworthy and, again, unearned celebration of a character I found grating. I guess the notion is that it's a great thing that this person who was created fully-grown with a mind full of military training/values and less than a day of life experience and the barest of exposures to a different way of thinking now has her own starship to gallivant around space in. It's not quite as bad as giving the bored rich burglar her own flying bus so could escape justified punishment for her callous crimes, but it is pretty awful, and I really can't imagine anybody seeing that ending, pumping their fist and saying,"Yes! She totally deserves that, what a great thing that was!"

I.... I hate this episode. It's awful. Crude, emotionally manipulative trash with bad characterization and a poor realization of what could have been an intriguing concept. But I'm going to end this on a positive (kinda) note.

The Unicorn and the Wasp is worse.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think The Doctor's Daughter is the only episode of the show I've started that I couldn't finish. As you mention, the notion that she's actually his daughter in any meaningful way is just so transparently nonsensical and as a result the crux of the episode feels like a mawkish parody of real emotion.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You should have listened to me at the time

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I, uh, quite like The Doctor's Daughter. Okay, the entire Martha subplot was entirely a waste of time (and I usually skip it), but I get where Donna's coming from, sort of. Keep in mind she's recently lost her own dad, and she's still very close with Wilf. I imagine she places quite a high value on fatherhood, especially since her mum isn't terribly supportive. So when Jenny appears, naturally she wants the Doctor to accept his own daughter, both for her sake and his. Also, from where she's coming from, you are usually regarded as responsible for your biological offspring, hence her crack about the child support agency. The fact Jenny was created artificially doesn't figure into it. That she was created by force is glossed over, but considering in the circumstances it was nothing more traumatic than a sore hand as a result, I can see why they largely ignored that angle. At the same time, she knows that the Doctor's the last of hi kind. She doesn't know about River Song (or that she's even a pseudo-Time Lord), or the Master. Jenny is the only other of his kind in existence, so by getting him to accept her, it will hopefully help mend her friend's own pain.

As for Jenny herself, well it makes sense she wants the Doctor's approval. I mean, at first she disregards the Doctor's pacifism because it doesn't fit in her militarized worldview. But when Cobb, the only other paternal figure she's known-dismisses her as from pacifist stock, she begins to try and understand him, and define herself now she's been thrown out of the 'soldier' group-especially since that's literally all she knows. Especially when she learns she's not just from pacifist stock-she's from an entirely different stock completely than anyone else on the planet, or for the matter, the known universe. Ultimately, her stealing the shuttle is very clearly intended to evoke her father stealing the TARDIS way back when, setting out to emulate her dad. I think not killing off was the right choice, since there's a lot of potential in the character. It's too bad nobody's actually used it.

The Doctor, well there's really two very good reasons why he's reluctant to accept Jenny. The first, of course, is guilt. Jenny's not just emblematic of Susan and the rest of his family, but at the same time everything he did during the war. The second is what happened the last time he encountered a fellow time lord-the Master died, and left him alone in the universe. And that was his mortal enemy. It's far easier for him to just push her away rather than risk getting attached.

While I suppose it's not really fair to factor in retcons that happened after this episode, the War Doctor casts a shadow over this episode with hindsight. Considering the commonalities in both his and Jenny's creation, born solely to fight, the Tenth Doctor's rejection makes that much more sense. He tells Donna that when he looks at Jenny he sees his family, but it's entirely possible he sees the War Doctor, too. But at the same time, there's an inherent Doctorishness that still comes through in both of them. It's obviously not quite as clear in Jenny, since she's created tabula rasa with only military knowledge, while the War Doctor still has 8 lifetimes of being the Doctor behind him, but it's clearly there in her sense of inquistiveness and ultimately in refusing to shoot Cobb, just like the War Doctor ultimately didn't destroy Gallifrey. Perhaps the Doctor's lack of an answer isn't conceding the point, but realising that Jenny isn't the person who would destroy Gallifrey, and could be guided away from that path with the right example. The War Doctor ultimately became the Ninth after all, and Jenny's not got that same baggage to carry.

Is this an all-time great episode? Absolutely not. Does it have some good character moments, though? Absolutely.

Anyway, that's my :spergin: over and done with.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Never mind found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPhhaXiUTE

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The BBC's longest-running science fiction comedy game show!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

The BBC's longest-running science fiction comedy game show!

:smugdog:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You should have listened to me at the time

I really should have. I wrote this in 2008:

Jerusalem posted:

I thought the "charades" scene was hilarious. The episode was muddled and would have worked better for me as a straight up murder-mystery, but as with The Doctor's Daughter, if these are the "worst" the episodes get I'll be quite happy.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Those two episodes haven't aged well at all and The Unicorn and the Wasp is almost offensively bad, and I don't ever want the show to approach these depths ever again. Though I still think the charades scene and Donna continually asking who the murderer was during the parlor scene were funny at least.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If ever there was anything so nice it deserved to be posted twice it's that.

( :argh: Jakiriman!)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

If ever there was anything so nice it deserved to be posted twice it's that.

( :argh: Jakiriman!)

Jakiriman just sounds like a title from Spare Parts

Or possibly a cut potentially racist character from Tomb

Cybermanny either way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Anyway, that's my :spergin: over and done with.

You make good points, but at the heart of it my problem is that none of these moments or actions are earned - just like the Doctor gets his hand forced into that machine, we're rushed through this sudden arrival of a complete stranger who is supposedly meant to be immediately injected into the very heart of the life of the titular character. She's a non-entity, and thus I can't get invested in her character arc, while she's being treated as the most important person in the universe.

There are parallels to be made between this story and the Flesh 2-parter from season 6. Where that story works for me is in the confusion between the two groups, and the fact that the Doctor is a eager participant in proving the validity of his own insistence on their right to be treated as individuals. The Flesh-Doctor may be a new entity, but he at least has the benefit of the Doctor's full memories/personality, even if the moment he comes into existence he branches off into being his own unique person.

By contrast, Jenny is the product of another culture produced by the forced acquisition of the Doctor's genes. She jams her way into a very specific and vital role in his life without earning her place (the Flesh Doctor was complicit with the original in gaining Amy's trust and understanding of his validity), and she takes a very aggressive and patently absurd take on who and what he is that he simply sits and passively takes despite the fact she has zero basis for any of her claims ("you're obviously a soldier, that's obviously a weapon" etc).

There may be moments in the story that would be good with the right character in the right setting with the right build up, but in this story I simply don't feel that they're earned. The audience is just meant to accept Jenny's importance simply because she exists, as if that is good enough.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

You make good points, but at the heart of it my problem is that none of these moments or actions are earned - just like the Doctor gets his hand forced into that machine, we're rushed through this sudden arrival of a complete stranger who is supposedly meant to be immediately injected into the very heart of the life of the titular character. She's a non-entity, and thus I can't get invested in her character arc, while she's being treated as the most important person in the universe.

There are parallels to be made between this story and the Flesh 2-parter from season 6. Where that story works for me is in the confusion between the two groups, and the fact that the Doctor is a eager participant in proving the validity of his own insistence on their right to be treated as individuals. The Flesh-Doctor may be a new entity, but he at least has the benefit of the Doctor's full memories/personality, even if the moment he comes into existence he branches off into being his own unique person.

By contrast, Jenny is the product of another culture produced by the forced acquisition of the Doctor's genes. She jams her way into a very specific and vital role in his life without earning her place (the Flesh Doctor was complicit with the original in gaining Amy's trust and understanding of his validity), and she takes a very aggressive and patently absurd take on who and what he is that he simply sits and passively takes despite the fact she has zero basis for any of her claims ("you're obviously a soldier, that's obviously a weapon" etc).

There may be moments in the story that would be good with the right character in the right setting with the right build up, but in this story I simply don't feel that they're earned. The audience is just meant to accept Jenny's importance simply because she exists, as if that is good enough.

I though that Jenny's take on the Doctor was simply looking at him through the only lens she has-as a soldier. After they get out of the cell, she's clearly interested in learning what the Doctor actually does, both from him and from Donna.

I guess I'm a fan of the idea of Jenny more than how she was handled in the episode itself. Maybe if they'd dumped the whole Martha subplot and given her more character development, it would have worked better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I though that Jenny's take on the Doctor was simply looking at him through the only lens she has-as a soldier.

That makes sense for her, but the way Donna seems to accept or approve of what she is saying, and the way the Doctor is left speechless by her observations, really makes little sense. Yeah I can see her saying,"Oh you're obviously a soldier and that device is obviously a weapon!" but I can't see Donna going,"She's got you there :smug:" or the Doctor going,":aaa: drat there's no possible way I can argue with that."

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess I'm a fan of the idea of Jenny more than how she was handled in the episode itself. Maybe if they'd dumped the whole Martha subplot and given her more character development, it would have worked better.

Yeah, in concept both her and the multiple generations per day, muddled up history are interesting concepts that I just don't think were executed well at all. Taking Martha out may have given them more room for interaction between Jenny and the Doctor by putting Donna into the separated companion role, but there's just too much jammed in there and rushed through for my liking.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I had completely forgotten that Martha was even in Doctor's Daughter when I rewatched it last year. I guess she was there because they wanted somebody to spend time with the Hath, but yeah it was superfluous.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That makes sense for her, but the way Donna seems to accept or approve of what she is saying, and the way the Doctor is left speechless by her observations, really makes little sense. Yeah I can see her saying,"Oh you're obviously a soldier and that device is obviously a weapon!" but I can't see Donna going,"She's got you there :smug:" or the Doctor going,":aaa: drat there's no possible way I can argue with that."

Jenny is nearly as insightful and intelligent as The Rani

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'll be at the Ziegfeld Theater by noon in full regalia! Can't wait to see you, Diabolik900!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

It's not quite as bad as giving the bored rich burglar her own flying bus so could escape justified punishment for her callous crimes, but it is pretty awful, and I really can't imagine anybody seeing that ending, pumping their fist and saying,"Yes! She totally deserves that, what a great thing that was!"

Hey, I don't like Iris Wildthyme either, but I wouldn't call her stories "callous crimes."

They're a whole different kind of crime

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jng2058 posted:

I'm not angry. I'm sad. It's so tiresome to see people who love a thing look down their noses at other people who love the same thing, just because they love it "too much"? To decide not to do something cool like watch Doctor Who in a movie theater because *gasp* there will be fans there?

I know this is all in the past now but I have to point out that my exception is not to fans, but fans who force the fandom onto other people. Which is the typical type of fan who shows to premieres. The same way I'd be really annoyed with someone who constantly pushes their dumb fad diet on me, or religion, or whatever it may be.

Plus the fact that they seem to define themselves by media (as DoctorWhat put it) means that's pretty much all they have to talk about....well, it's a poo poo combination for being a social human being and I'd rather avoid those.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that EVERYTHING I am a 'fan' of, I generally avoid socializing with other 'fans'. Extremism just annoys me for some reason, I guess. Or possibly fun

edit: I think the movie premiere is a bad example, because it is meant to be a 'celebration' and why wouldn't you expect it to be ALL WHO ALL THE TIME, anyway? Doesn't mean I want to go...

And it turns out the *real* reason I don't want to go is that we're one of the markets that don't get an actual simulcast viewing, ours is a day later.

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 14, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, in concept both her and the multiple generations per day, muddled up history are interesting concepts that I just don't think were executed well at all. Taking Martha out may have given them more room for interaction between Jenny and the Doctor by putting Donna into the separated companion role, but there's just too much jammed in there and rushed through for my liking.

Honestly, it feels like a 2-parter that was edited down to just one episode. Everything does feel really rushed, but everything that is there works for me. Sort of. It's just like the framing and setup got left on the cutting room floor.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

I just downloaded the Fifth Doctor Box Set with Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric. This should be interesting...

Please let me know what you think of this, I was tempted to pick it up today (on a big 5th Doc kick that's mostly stayed relegated to TV episodes so far) but wasn't sure how it would fare. Also, the only Adric story I really watched was Black Orchid (where all he does is eat, anyway). Dunno if that will matter.

edit: Ohh, here's a chance to ask about something I found earlier. I've never watched Waters of Mars all the way through, so the Time Lord Victorious references were all going over my head. I had to google some scenes. But before I found the *real* meaning, I found http://whoniversefanon.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Lord_Victorious and read the entire thing as "canon" until I realized it was a loving fan fiction wiki.

I was REALLY wracking my brain to figure out where this TV episode was and why I had no recollection of it (I assumed the multi-doctor part was a comic story or something). By the way, for a laugh give a read to the 'climax' - somebody REALLY wanted to one-up the end scene of Day.

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 14, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Shu3WXR0rE

Matt Smith, all round class act

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor's Daughter

The bit that made me really mad is the whole The Man Who Wouldn't speech.

He's the man who wouldn't...drown spider babies in front of their mother.

He's the man who wouldn't...allow humans to defend themselves while he is gone.

He's the man who wouldn't...oust a PM for petty reasons, only to have a power vacuum filled by a rival Time Lord more power hungry than Francis Urquhart.

He's the man who wouldn't...give Rose Tyler a somewhat clone of himself to her for her to bang so she stops inadvertently causing the death of the multiverse.

He's the man who wouldn't...kiss a Zygon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PassTheRemote posted:

He's the man who wouldn't...oust a PM for petty reasons, only to have a power vacuum filled by a rival Time Lord more power hungry than Francis Urquhart.

He's the man who wouldn't...give Rose Tyler a somewhat clone of himself to her for her to bang so she stops inadvertently causing the death of the multiverse.

For the man who never would, he sure did it an awful lot.

It's one of the many Tennant scenes that you might be able to argue was intended to lead towards the whole 'mad with self-righteous power' Time Lord Victorious angle,but there's not quite enough evidence at hand to say that they intended that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

What about the Vervoids???

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Trin Tragula posted:

What about the Vervoids???

He wouldn't kiss them either.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I get to work from home today and Hulu added a ton of Who, which means I get to have it on in the background. So far, I've done An Unearthly Child, Tomb of the Cybermen and am currently on Spearhead from Space. I'm planning on watching one serial from each Doctor, any suggestions for the Fourth? (besides The Ark in Space, I watched that recently.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Genesis of the Daleks. It's really very good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

One of:

Genesis of the Daleks
The Talons of Weng Chiang
The Robots of Death
City of Death
Pyramids of Mars

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Robots of Death will always and forever be the correct choice in this situation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

McGann posted:

I know this is all in the past now but I have to point out that my exception is not to fans, but fans who force the fandom onto other people. Which is the typical type of fan who shows to premieres. The same way I'd be really annoyed with someone who constantly pushes their dumb fad diet on me, or religion, or whatever it may be.

Plus the fact that they seem to define themselves by media (as DoctorWhat put it) means that's pretty much all they have to talk about....well, it's a poo poo combination for being a social human being and I'd rather avoid those.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that EVERYTHING I am a 'fan' of, I generally avoid socializing with other 'fans'. Extremism just annoys me for some reason, I guess. Or possibly fun

edit: I think the movie premiere is a bad example, because it is meant to be a 'celebration' and why wouldn't you expect it to be ALL WHO ALL THE TIME, anyway? Doesn't mean I want to go...

And it turns out the *real* reason I don't want to go is that we're one of the markets that don't get an actual simulcast viewing, ours is a day later.

You may indeed be allergic to fun. My condolences. :sigh:

I went to see Day of the Doctor in a theater. It was great. Unless your definition of "forced" includes merely seeing someone cosplay as the Doctor, no one forced anything on anyone. It was pretty much like going to any other movie. I talked to the buddy who got us the tickets, other people talked with their friends. Then the episode started and we all shut up to watch it. People cheered or laughed at appropriate moments, gasped when Tom appeared, then it ended and we all went home.

That was it. Except for the crowd being even more receptive and generally happy at the end, it wasn't significantly different an experience than when I saw Guardians of the Galaxy last week. :shrug:

As to your broader point, I think you hit upon the problem in your edit. If you run into fans at a fan event of any kind, of course they're going to be mono-focused on whatever they're a fan of. That's the point of the event. Cons and screenings and fan get-togethers explicitly exist to allow people to deep dive into something they love and share that love with others who feel the same way.

If that's "extremism" to you, then so be it. Such events may indeed not be your bag. You gotta do (or not do) what makes you feel comfortable.

That said, THIS is one of those places where people are going to mono-focused on Doctor Who. Deviate away from Who conversation here for too long and risk probation. Many of us are "fans", so let's try to cut back on using "fan" and "fandom" as pejoratives. It just makes for a nicer atmosphere, wouldn't you agree?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
POSTING FROM THE FRONT:

The line is getting pretty crowded, though there haven't been any full cosplay of any other doctors except for me and a seven. No sign of diabolik. If you see this, look for me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DoctorWhat posted:

POSTING FROM THE FRONT:

The line is getting pretty crowded, though there haven't been any full cosplay of any other doctors except for me and a seven. No sign of diabolik. If you see this, look for me.

Doctor What, Diabolik and I will be there probably 6-6:30ish. I'm super pumped to see THE COAT.

It's a gorgeous, 80 degree, sunny, late summer day in New York and I'm sweating my rear end off in my Tenth Doctor coat. I'm so drat excited.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is fan made, and the promo comes from something else the BBC produced so as far as I could tell this is not spoilers. But I wish it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlALvZqT9kM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's really sweet :shobon:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So hey there, you cool thread, you! I like Big Finish! I also like Sylvester McCoy! These two things have rarely intersected for me! Hell, I think the only 7 audios I've heard have been Dust Breeding, Colditz, and Master.

I'd love to be enlightened on further good audio adventures with him. Hell, they don't even need Ace; I am not adverse to audio Bonnie Langford so long as the story is good. Anyone care to fire a few suggestions my way?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

If you see this, look for me.

"And tell him I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Fearmonger may be a very early Big Finish audio, but it is one of my favorite 7 stories and I recommend it very highly. It feels very much like it would have fit in easily with his television episodes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Finally in the theater! No sign of Doctor What or THE COAT yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled on the way out. In fairness, we were way back on the line.

Hyped as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, I see it...THE COAT!

Doctor What is up front bring photographed with several other Doctors, including at least two McCoys.

There's some sort of Doctor Dance Party at the front of the theater.

TL fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread