Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd never be embarrassed by Varos, Fenric, or Remembrance and neither should you be!

Season 25 and 26 were as good as anything the series had done before or since, really. There's two weak stories between them ("Silver Nemesis" and "Battlefield") but aside from that it's got some of my favourite stories ever featured in the series ("The Happiness Patrol", "The Greatest Show In the Galaxy", "The Curse of Fenric", "Survival").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Davros1 posted:

Here's something I've been pondering. Jason Connery was in Varos, so does that mean Sean Connery has seen Varos?

If not, then you know what to do.

Find Sean Connery, and lock all the doors.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DoctorWhat posted:

If not, then you know what to do.

Find Sean Connery, and lock all the doors.

If you force him to watch Who, you are forced to watch Highlander 2 and Sir Billi. It's the Connery way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has any of the series bible Davies wrote for the revival ever surfaced on the internet? I know that The Writer's Tale is probably much more insightful but I was listening to an interview Paul Cornell gave maybe a couple of years ago and he talked about all the writers being given a copy, and I thought it might be interesting to read. Lacking any flair for writing myself, I've always been quite interested in that sort of behind the scenes stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Metal Loaf posted:

Has any of the series bible Davies wrote for the revival ever surfaced on the internet? I know that The Writer's Tale is probably much more insightful but I was listening to an interview Paul Cornell gave maybe a couple of years ago and he talked about all the writers being given a copy, and I thought it might be interesting to read. Lacking any flair for writing myself, I've always been quite interested in that sort of behind the scenes stuff.

No, and The Writer's Tale doesn't really cover that unfortunately.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ought to re-read The Writer's Tale. It's been quite a while since I did (probably not since it came out, which is a good four or five years now) but I enjoyed reading it and might even enjoy it a bit more now that I'm a bit older and more familiar with serialised television myself.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Floorgazer posted:

I find it really hard to explain to people why I like this show sometimes. Pretty much everything post-Davison and pre-revival is pretty embarrassing to be caught watching. Dealing with people who call it "My Little Pony in space" makes it an uphill battle, really.

Sometimes you enjoy a thing in-spite-of. Sometimes you enjoy a thing for what it could be, rather than for what it is. And sometimes you just really enjoy laughing at rubbish monsters and scenery chewing.
You don't have to defend its honor or evangelize, just explain what you like and shrug at the rest, like you would while watching. People who can't get that and/or admit there's something they like the same way, that's usually a warning sign anyway.

For instance the quoted person likes videogames and anime, which are sugar-glass houses to be throwing stones from (I say with authority as a person who likes videogames). They wouldn't have gotten the same response out of comparing Doctor Who to Adventure Time.

edit: I shouldn't phone post

Spindle fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 8, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Metal Loaf posted:

Season 25 and 26 were as good as anything the series had done before or since, really. There's two weak stories between them ("Silver Nemesis" and "Battlefield") but aside from that it's got some of my favourite stories ever featured in the series ("The Happiness Patrol", "The Greatest Show In the Galaxy", "The Curse of Fenric", "Survival").

Even Battlefield isn't that bad really. I mean, you get the Brig being bloody brilliant.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Floorgazer posted:

I find it really hard to explain to people why I like this show sometimes. Pretty much everything post-Davison and pre-revival is pretty embarrassing to be caught watching.

Some may call it... mostly shite

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Even Battlefield isn't that bad really. I mean, you get the Brig being bloody brilliant.

Well, that goes without saying.

I think that a lot of those last two seasons went into the revival. The ethos and aesthetic of it carried over a lot (by way of the movie and the NAs, of course).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Some may call it... mostly shite

The Star Trek Effect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone remind me which DVD includes in its special features Paul Cornell's featurette about Terrance Dicks? I'm pretty sure I remember watching it many moons ago; I thought it might have been "The War Games", but no such luck. Any ideas?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anyone remind me which DVD includes in its special features Paul Cornell's featurette about Terrance Dicks? I'm pretty sure I remember watching it many moons ago; I thought it might have been "The War Games", but no such luck. Any ideas?

IMDB says it's on The Horror of Fang Rock.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

On the subject of Philip Sandifer, I'm just going to post here what I've posted in IRC many times before:

Shortly after he did his post on Survival, Phil Sandifer decided that modern, televised Doctor Who was the one true future for Doctor Who - that any other attempts were doomed to being narrative and creative dead-ends. He decided that proving this point is, always was, and forever would be the core purpose of his blog and his DW-writing in general.

In this pursuit, he's actively constructed a counter-factual version of Big Finish in his head that's sufficiently bad as to be dismissed out of hand, in favor of fellating an equally ficticious version of Moffat-Who at all possible times.

It's intellectually dishonest and he's well past the point where he began "believing his bubble-wrap", as he likes to put it. He's a clever writer and I like to think his heart's in the right place, but he is so dead wrong about everything post-1989 that it hurts to read it.

This is pretty much my opinion on Sandifer. I read his early stuff and it was brilliant, but it was apparent when he started critiquing the "Wilderness Years" that he had a preconceived narrative where RTD's vision was the One True Who and everything else besides the 63-89 series was just EU fluff. And I can see the realistic analysis that the NAs or comics or BBC books were basically dead ends, but Big Finish is actively putting out new material with the original actors and writers and endorsed by the current and previous exec producer of the TV show. Even if it's not in the scope of his criticism, it shouldn't be dismissed as some sort of dead end that ended in 2005, which is what he seems to be saying.

DoctorWhat posted:

Colin Baker as everyone.

Colin Baker, Shatner, and Paul Darrow in a 12 part audio series. :smug:

I took the survey, and while Star Trek would be great I was most intrigued by what they could do with Bond (like getting Dalton or Brosnan to do some more stories) or The Prisoner. Not sure how good it would be with McGoohan dead, but I really liked the Jonathan Blum book from a few years back and it's drat shame the Cartmel one is unavailable. I love that universe though.

Besides Who I really like their Dark Shadows audios, and Blake's 7 is on my to do list.

I just started the Lucie Miller audios and they aren't as bad as people have said. Lucie is brash and very abrasive, but not much worse then say Donna, Tegan, or Molly. I think that sort of companion works well with 8, because he's so nice and compassionate. Can you imagine him with a Victoria? Snooze city.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

... in the original broadcast version.

In the version you can buy, they edited out part of the Brig's best lines in that episode:

"Just shoot him?"
"No impossibly complex plans, no (something something), just shoot him??"

(I think there was a 3rd line he had in that, too difficult to remember.)

I found out when I... obtained... a copy of the Battlefield DVD, I went straight to that part in the episode... then when I saw it was edited, I got rid of it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

This is pretty much my opinion on Sandifer. I read his early stuff and it was brilliant, but it was apparent when he started critiquing the "Wilderness Years" that he had a preconceived narrative where RTD's vision was the One True Who and everything else besides the 63-89 series was just EU fluff. And I can see the realistic analysis that the NAs or comics or BBC books were basically dead ends, but Big Finish is actively putting out new material with the original actors and writers and endorsed by the current and previous exec producer of the TV show. Even if it's not in the scope of his criticism, it shouldn't be dismissed as some sort of dead end that ended in 2005, which is what he seems to be saying.

Colin Baker, Shatner, and Paul Darrow in a 12 part audio series. :smug:

I just started the Lucie Miller audios and they aren't as bad as people have said. Lucie is brash and very abrasive, but not much worse then say Donna, Tegan, or Molly. I think that sort of companion works well with 8, because he's so nice and compassionate. Can you imagine him with a Victoria? Snooze city.

I don't think anyone has bashed on the Lucie audios - they kick rear end, generally! I'm doing a re-listen with my folks and it's been real fun.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

RunAndGun posted:

... in the original broadcast version.

In the version you can buy, they edited out part of the Brig's best lines in that episode:

"Just shoot him?"
"No impossibly complex plans, no (something something), just shoot him??"

(I think there was a 3rd line he had in that, too difficult to remember.)

I found out when I... obtained... a copy of the Battlefield DVD, I went straight to that part in the episode... then when I saw it was edited, I got rid of it.

You might want to check what you watched as the DVD contains 2 versions - the original as-broadcast as well as a reedited special edition.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Zaroff posted:

You might want to check what you watched as the DVD contains 2 versions - the original as-broadcast as well as a reedited special edition.

Oh. What I got was a download, didn't know to check for different versions. OK, thanks, if I run into it again, I'll be sure to look.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So in my continuing Big Finish Tumblr Adventure, I've put together a post on The Marian Conspiracy. Please take a look! Follow and Like! actually please do follow and like, unironically.

http://zags-big-ideas.tumblr.com/post/78998286002/beaming-with-a-vast-intellegince-the-marian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really do wish that the tv series would take a leaf out of Big Finish's book and do some pure historicals ala The Marian Conspiracy. They've done some stories where the alien menace was mostly incidental to the meat of the story (Vincent and the Doctor) or where technically there was no alien presence at all (The Crimson Horror), but even then they have to throw in some fantastical element - a rocketship or an ancient alien parasite (or even the presence of a Silurian).

To be fair, even The Marian Conspiracy has a sci-fi element in that what brings them there is Evelyn's unraveling from history, and requiring a technobabble device in her purse to maintain her existence. But Big Finish has shown a willingness to experiment that is probably down to their audio format and less intense oversight from the BBC trying to milk the cash-cow that is the TV series. I think the show could and would be able to pull off a historical, but that nobody is willing to take the gamble and present a script that features no aliens, no advanced technology (outside of the TARDIS itself) and no "monster".

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What's the best way to get big finish stories via an android app? I haven't heard a single one and listening at work or in my car is the best way for me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What's the best way to get big finish stories via an android app? I haven't heard a single one and listening at work or in my car is the best way for me.

Buy them on a computer and move the MP3 files over to internal memory on your phone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I tend to download them and put them in iTunes. I think there's some kind of option on the Big Finish site to download them directly to your phone, but I've never tried it.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
The best way I've done it is download to a PC and upload to Google Play Music. I tried the method they describe on the site and the tracks were all out of order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ian Levine almost* had a run for his money for worst loving attempt at Doctor Who fanfiction ever.

Seeing that this stupid and nonsensical attempt at bald-faced copyright infringement barely made 1% of its funding goal filled me with a near savage sense of schadenfreude :drac:

* Not even close, this dumb loving thing was never going to happen.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 9, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Ian Levine almost* had a run for his money for worst loving attempt at Doctor Who fanfiction ever.

Still waiting on that adaptation of The Ben Chatham Adventures myself.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
FWIW I recommend downloading the audios as audiobooks, for iPods and iPhones at least. iTunes and iDevices will actually remember your last position for audiobooks, so you can switch over to listen to some music, then switch back to the audiobook and it will pick up where you left off.

I don't know if the Android music player does the same though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

One Swell Foop posted:

FWIW I recommend downloading the audios as audiobooks, for iPods and iPhones at least. iTunes and iDevices will actually remember your last position for audiobooks, so you can switch over to listen to some music, then switch back to the audiobook and it will pick up where you left off.

Yeah, I had a non-audiobook for Zagreus and it was AWFUL not remembering which was the last one I listened to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Starting out as a murder mystery before evolving into a character study, Omega enjoys strong performances from its two leads and supporting cast, but fails to take advantage of a stunning third-act cliffhanger and stumbles during its final act, crossing the finish line with an incredibly unlikely conclusion.

Synopsis - 3/4th's of a good story about one of the Doctor's lesser known but important villains makes a 90 degree turn and loses its way and a chance to place its stamp upon the title character. 3/5.

Ugh.

This was just... disappointing. I think CobiWann's final "score" is a little too forgiving too, outside of a single fantastic cliffhanger this was just thoroughly mediocre and uninteresting story with an utterly disappointing and bewilderingly condescending ending.

The first three episodes are basically an uninspired by-the-numbers affair, doing some interesting things but nothing that Big Finish hasn't done before and done better. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but the deliberately banal backdrop of the tourists more interested in the amenities than the history left me cold, and I feel like I've seen the "slightly sketchy actor/lothario-type" a million times before. The Academic completely wrapped up in his own little world was probably the most interesting character but he kind of dips in and out of the narrative and leaves much of the focus on less interesting people. The cliffhanger at the end of episode 3 was so good that it had me really excited to see how things wrapped up, thinking the story had utterly redeemed itself and was taking a turn for some incredible stuff. Unfortunately that all fell apart as the promise and potential was squandered entirely and the whole thing might as well never have happened. Throughout those first three episodes I had quickly picked up on what I thought the twist was going to be and it was annoying me that the story kept playing it out like a big mystery when it was so obvious what was happening. Of course I was completely wrong:

Jerusalem posted:

I've been listening to Omega and towards the end of episode 3 I was rolling my eyes at how obvious the upcoming twist was. They kept stretching it out while I kept shaking my head and wishing they'd just get on with it and make the "shocking" reveal and play the theme. The story up to that point had been serviceable but nothing special, and I was eager to get through the story. The "twist" came, I shrugged with indifference.... and then the OTHER twist came and after a few moments I realized exactly how I'd had the wool pulled over my eyes for three episodes and I loving love it. I hope part 4 lives up to the expectations that this cliffhanger delivered, because goddamn that came out of nowhere (for me anyway!) but makes perfect sense in hindsight :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

What did you think the twist was going to be?

I thought the twist was that Omega had hidden himself away in the Doctor's subconscious and was taking control of his body at different points to do what he wanted. It wasn't until the Doctor shows up at the end of episode 3 that I realized there had never been a Doctor there at all, it was Omega walking around once again in the 5th Doctor's form, alternating between believing he was the Doctor and becoming Omega. Of course I haven't listened to part four yet, so maybe I've got it completely rear end-backwards, but that is what I presumed to be the case, and it was something I didn't see coming at all.

It turns out that listening to episode 4 was a mistake, because that pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the story. All the potential of the spoilered twist was squandered, though at least in one aspect they explained WHY. Given the nature of the story, it would have been tedious for the Doctor to have to be reintroduced to all the characters "again" and have the situation laid out to him so the "psychic message" stuff gave a pretty good out for why that didn't happen. But then all entire four episodes suffers from a massive case of identity crisis almost as if it was some kind of meta-commentary on what is happening to all the characters suffering from their own. People suddenly have wildly different personalities, we leap to flashbacks that may or may not be the product of a demented imagination, and then worst of all the overriding mystery of exactly what caused Omega's original fate is completely ignored and dismissed with a disinterested wave of the hand. Some of these things can be explained by the idea that the matter/anti-matter situation was causing wild personality shifts, but one characters sudden descent into utter madness doesn't feel earned at all, especially when contrasted with another's shrugging it off and being just fine. Omega becomes less than a supporting character in his own self-titled story, the tantalizing glimpses at his past (and Rassilon as a far less benevolent character than in a not so distant recent Big Finish audio) ignored or outright dismissed with contempt by another character who oozes so much smugness that I was hoping Omega would return to take them down with him. The ending of the story is so unsatisfying in the way it throws out the rest of the story we've just witnessed, but also in the way it sets up a decidedly uncomfortable bit of hero-worship for the Doctor. What makes that worse is that the Doctor makes only the most token effort to show his own disappointment/displeasure at this idea before apparently warmly embracing the idea and settling in to listen. I can't remember the last time I finished a Big Finish story and felt such a sense of dissatisfaction, of so much squandered potential.

There are good parts to the story for sure, Peter Davison and Ian Collier's performances in particular. But they all kind of pale in comparison to the weak supporting roles, the confused focus on exactly who and what the story is about, and the quite frankly terrible ending. I'd never recommend anybody skip any story because as we all know there is literally no such thing as a consensus opinion on the quality of any Doctor Who story, but this isn't one I'd recommend you go out of your way to watch.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 9, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
This weekend was the yearly arcade expo! And like every year, the line for the Doctor Who pinball game was out the door. If you've never played it, it's pretty amazing; art aside, you could tell the designers were huge fans. On each ball, you pick one of the first seven Doctors, each with their own little special ability. The goal is to get two of the Doctors (pinballs) into the "Time Expander" so you can reprogram it and attack the Daleks. With, uh, pinballs. I don't really know how this ties into the series, but w/e.

Anyway, the point of this story is that you get little digital pictures of each Doctor while you're making your selection. And even on a tiny dot matrix pinball game screen, Six's portrait is still hugely, unmistakably :smug:.

Also I like to use Seven as my last pinball, because everything so far has gone exactly as he planned

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 9, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Omega's last episode has editorial interference written all over it, I reckon, especially considering it falls apart in quite a similar way to Master.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

One Swell Foop posted:

I use the Akimbo Audio Player app to achieve this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So apparently, when prompted at a con this weekend, Fraizer Hines said the Marco Polo had been found.

He later tweeted, clarifying, "What I said was there was a mark on my polo.'

Oh Frazier, :allears:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I wouldn't read too much into Frazier's comments. I heard someone from the restoration team once describe these kind of thingsin a way that made a lot of sense to me:

• A rumor starts that an episode has been found.
  • Someone at a con or whatever goes up to a cast member and says "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • The cast member tells someone else "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • Suddenly, the story is no longer just another rumor. Now the story is "Frazier Hines/Wendy Padbury/Whoever says that Marco Polo has been found".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Diabolik900 posted:

I wouldn't read too much into Frazier's comments. I heard someone from the restoration team once describe these kind of thingsin a way that made a lot of sense to me:

• A rumor starts that an episode has been found.
  • Someone at a con or whatever goes up to a cast member and says "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • The cast member tells someone else "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • Suddenly, the story is no longer just another rumor. Now the story is "Frazier Hines/Wendy Padbury/Whoever says that Marco Polo has been found".

No, I just love Frazier. Last year, he teased the finds about Web/Enemy by saying the missing stories both contained the word "The" in them.

And when he was assassinated just as he was about reveal them.

The man loves to have fun with his fans.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

One Swell Foop posted:

You can tell iTunes to treat any audio file as an audiobook if you right-click on it, pull up "Get Info", go to the "Options" tab and change "Media Kind" to "Audiobook".

This was immensely helpful in converting the DriveThruFiction H.P. Lovecraft collection (read by Jeffrey Combs!) into something I could actually use, since the purchasable copy has no metadata whatsoever.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My personal method is to throw the files onto my Droid's memory card and use a little free app called "My Playlist Maker" to auto generate a playlist. Then I play it in Winamp for Droid. Just takes a few seconds.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So, what happens if you stand in front of the mirror in a darkened bathroom and say “Colin Baker, Colin Baker, Colin Baker?”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

So, what happens if you stand in front of the mirror in a darkened bathroom and say “Colin Baker, Colin Baker, Colin Baker?”

A voice bellows "Stop that at once!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Colin Baker gives you carrot juice.

• Locked thread