Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

beefnoodle posted:

Walter was the novelist, Robert was the popsicle.

Ah, yes, so he was.

Peter Scott was the Loch Ness monster guy, wasn't he? Probably a Zygon in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The only reason I knew about the paper hats was because my grandma was born in England.

If your family was Irish/English at all, that's probably the reason.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I had no idea what a Christmas Cracker was before The Chimes of Midnight.

The same goes for plum pudding.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CobiWann posted:

But you love plum pudding! It just wouldn't be Christmas without some of Mrs. Baddeley's plum pudding!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CobiWann posted:

... and for that matter, what on Earth is a "plum" and, if it isn't evident in the description, how would one "pudd" it?

</sarcasticbewilderment>
In all seriousness, though, I had no idea what a cracker was either, but I recognized the paper crowns from those rag Archie comics you find in the supermarket checkout line. I had always wondered WTF was with the crown he wore. It all came together in a single moment.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

These cultural differences are freaking me out. Tell me Americans at least have Christmas cake?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

marktheando posted:

These cultural differences are freaking me out. Tell me Americans at least have Christmas cake?

We have fruitcake!

No one actually eats it and I think it's a long-running DARPA project to create indestructable matter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

marktheando posted:

Does booze and hatred of family count?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Chokes McGee posted:

We have fruitcake!

No one actually eats it and I think it's a long-running DARPA project to create indestructable matter.

Correction: We have a single fruitcake. Each year, the family that has it passes it to their least-favorite person or family. It's like the ultimate shame to be the one to receive the fruitcake on Christmas.
And yeah, no one eats it. It's indestructible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't think this fruitcake is the same thing, since Christmas cake has marzipan and is delicious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blasphemeral posted:

Correction: We have a single fruitcake. Each year, the family that has it passes it to their least-favorite person or family. It's like the ultimate shame to be the one to receive the fruitcake on Christmas.

If you do not have the fruitcake, you have a yankee swap with the sole purpose of making someone cry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have never once actually seen anyone give or receive a fruitcake for Christmas. Personally I suspect that's some kind of mass delusion.

I actually thought the paper crowns were Burger King crowns at first.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Correction: We had a single fruitcake. I actually threw it out two days ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Right, "White Hole". I think "Holoship" had a similar scene with Rimmer which I must have confused it with.

I think Holoship has him saying he doesn't understand Casablanca for similar selfish reasons. And half an hour later, he's pulling a Rick to save Jane Horrocks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got to the end of ep 3 of UNIT: Dominion. Saw that one coming a mile off. Raine is a complete non-entity of a companion. Does she get better?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

Just got to the end of ep 3 of UNIT: Dominion. Saw that one coming a mile off. Raine is a complete non-entity of a companion. Does she get better?

Just to reiterate: I didn't. Or rather, I thought they didn't have the rights to do it. Imagine my surprise!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Just to reiterate: I didn't. Or rather, I thought they didn't have the rights to do it. Imagine my surprise!

I see what you did there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I see what you did there.

WhaOH YEAH I DID THAT ON PURPOSE I'M drat CLEVER.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hell, if you know a bit of Latin, the title virtually gives it away.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Hell, if you know a bit of Latin, the title virtually gives it away.

Not if you're absolutely convinced that said twist is a legal impossibility, like I was at the time. Of course, in retrospect it's obvious, but part of my continuing love for that story comes from how effectively it blindsided me the first time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The story still works if you know it going in, like I did. The actor is just a joy to listen to, and Tracey Childs isn't half bad either. And once the reveal happens, McCoy is also ON FIRE.

"What now, Mmmmmaster? If you rrrefuse to let them into your TARDIS... the Major will shoot you. If you tell them who you rrreally arrre... the Major will still shoot you..."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The story still works if you know it going in, like I did.

I did say "part".

quote:

The actor is just a joy to listen to,

Isn't he just :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discovering cultural differences can be fun (the idea that so many Americans have no idea what paper crowns and crackers are is just bewildering to me) and also deeply depressing (the idea of universal healthcare being despised, discovering how many Americans don't get paid annual leave as a matter of course etc). It is always a good reminder that what we consider as "normal" is based entirely on our own upbringing, environment and culture.

CobiWann posted:

I do want to ask this, as you’ve gone through McGann’s audio line at a good clip. It seems like there’s a good mix of “OId Who” stories, such as Storm Warning or Invaders from Mars where the historical setting or event is one of the driving forces, and “New Who” stories like The Chimes of Midnight or even Minuet in Hell, where the focus is much more on the players and the plot and the setting is mostly window dressing. But then along comes something like Neverland, Zagreus and pretty much the entire upcoming Divergent Universe arc from Scherzo to The Next Life. Neverland and Zagreus both felt like…they weren’t “Who” stories in the traditional sense. Time travel and the destruction of the universe, sure, and they featured the Doctor as a main character, but I couldn’t fit either story into a “Old Who” or a “New Who” box. Am I making any sense?

I understand what you mean, though I disagree. I think Neverland would fit right in with the revival style as a season ender wrapping up the little oddities and mysteries and odd happenstances occurring around Charley. That said, I haven't listened to Zagreus yet or any of the divergent arc so I don't know if I'm about to encounter something truly unique and weird that feels completely alien to either the classic or revival series.

CobiWann posted:

…hold on. Jerusalem, you don’t happen to be over 1200 years old, do you? Run around with attractive young women? Know Venusian Aikido or how to play the spoons?

Well, I can confirm that I never had sex with Billie Piper!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I think Dominion is actually her most recent appearance. She's from the Lost Stories line. Having not listened to any of those (I did buy Crime of the Century when it was on sale for 3 quid, but I haven't played it yet), all I got from her was 'posh thief'. So basically Lady Christina from that Ten special, except bland instead of annoying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Discovering cultural differences can be fun (the idea that so many Americans have no idea what paper crowns and crackers are is just bewildering to me) and also deeply depressing (the idea of universal healthcare being despised, discovering how many Americans don't get paid annual leave as a matter of course etc). It is always a good reminder that what we consider as "normal" is based entirely on our own upbringing, environment and culture.

You guys just form these opinions on us based on Martin Chuzzlewit! Which granted, is the truth, because nothing has changed here since then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Never heard of paper crowns or Christmas cake or any of that, and I remain firmly jealous of your health care system and optimistic superhero.

All of our heroes have to be dour and grim now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really, what we need is for the Sixth Doctor to come around and make that disgusted face he makes and give America a good ranting at. "What do you MEAN, no paper crowns? I suppose at least I won't have to worry about getting a paper cut and not being able to afford curing the subsequent infection from your foul air!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, who got all the nuclear launch codes because they were the only nation that could be trusted, hmm? :smug::britain:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Really it's the American attitudes to healthcare and guns that are the most foreign and scary to me. :can:

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, who got all the nuclear launch codes because they were the only nation that could be trusted, hmm? :smug::britain:

I don't think this means much when you consider the recent revelation that the US nuclear code was 00000000 for decades.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Really, what we need is for the Sixth Doctor to come around and make that disgusted face he makes and give America a good ranting at. "What do you MEAN, no paper crowns? I suppose at least I won't have to worry about getting a paper cut and not being able to afford curing the subsequent infection from your foul air!"

You could probably get Colin to record that in-character by asking nicely and telling him you have a cat.

Colin Baker :allears:

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
It's a time jump to the left.

From the vortex to the ri-i-ight.

Rose puts her hands on his hips...

And fangirls scream with deli-i-ight.

Now we're engaging thrusts

To smash through Dalek NAZI ae-ae-aeroplanes!

LET'S DO THE TIME WAR AGAIN!!!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Do you guys think I have a problem? :ohdear:

(missing from this picture - The Juggernauts and Something Inside)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Yes:

CobiWann posted:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Diabolik900 posted:

Correction: We had a single fruitcake. I actually threw it out two days ago.

You think it's that easy? Now, not only will you have a fruitcake, but a pissed fruitcake.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I realize I'm probably late to the party on this, but holy crap the Blu-Ray of Spearhead from Space is beautiful. The Autons look maybe a little silly, but everything being in beautiful hi-def more than makes up for it. It makes it hard, really, to go back to the rest of the series knowing how great everything is supposed to look.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I jumped onto that as soon as I could, it was such a joy to pick up a Pertwee story in HD but also a shame, since I knew that it isn't really possible to do this for any other classic era story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd like to see them dump whole seasons (albiet still in SD) of the classic series onto Blu-Ray, with all the special features. Just high-capacity DVDs with modern Java menus and poo poo.

Like, you could probably fit all of Colin's or McCoy's runs on one 2-disc Blu-Ray set, each, complete with all the DVD bonuses. Imagine, having 10 to 15 neatly, uniformly-packaged little discs for the entirety of Classic Who!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd like to see them dump whole seasons (albiet still in SD) of the classic series onto Blu-Ray, with all the special features. Just high-capacity DVDs with modern Java menus and poo poo.

Like, you could probably fit all of Colin's or McCoy's runs on one 2-disc Blu-Ray set, each, complete with all the DVD bonuses. Imagine, having 10 to 15 neatly, uniformly-packaged little discs for the entirety of Classic Who!

A complete Blu-Ray collection in a Blue box that's bigger on the inside :v:.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A complete Blu-Ray collection in a Blue box that's bigger on the inside :v:.

Well of course. Blu-Ray cases are closer to square anyway. Should be able to get the form factor exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I have all those McGann ones, so I'd be a hypocrite to say yes.

• Locked thread