Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I listened to The Haunting of Thomas Brewster and it was pretty good, but one question...what was with the incidental music? Like there were random 10 second or so bits of music between scenes that sound like someone is doing a weird tribute to the incidental music of the Davison era. They go on oddly long though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Got cable this week, for the first time since moving to the US about six years ago. I have to say, it's really kinda weird watching Doctor Who with commercial breaks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of a bitch, I'd only recently managed to forget this little number. Thanks rear end in a top hat, now I'll be hum-ming it for weeeeeks :suicide:.

And if you're going to inflict it on people, At least use a high-quality version.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Son of a bitch, I'd only recently managed to forget this little number. Thanks rear end in a top hat, now I'll be hum-ming it for weeeeeks :suicide:.

And if you're going to inflict it on people, At least use a high-quality version.

They're all high quality versions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Army of Ghosts is the penultimate episode of season 2, and it is a story that is frequently lumped in with Doomsday rather than being considered in its own rights, given that much of it is set-up for the following episode. I think it pays to discuss it as an episode in its own rights, because it does a couple of really important things - it furthers the concerns other characters are having with Rose's separation from her "humanity"; it finally brings Torchwood into the light after a season of teasing; and perhaps most importantly of all it delivers what may well be the greatest cliffhanger in the ENTIRE history of the show, both classic and revival.

I've often said that the first two seasons of the show are primarily telling Rose's story as opposed to the Doctor's. The first episode of the revival was named after her, she was an integral part of "healing" the Doctor in the aftermath of his actions in the Time War, the Doctor's regeneration was primarily viewed through Rose's reactions, and throughout season 2 we've seen frequent references to the apparently unhealthy relationship she and the Doctor share - rather than grounding the Doctor like prior companions, Rose has embraced his lifestyle so much that she has often come across as almost callous to the impact of the situations she has been in, taking an enjoyment in what should be horrific situations that the Doctor has eagerly reciprocated. This attitude was in fact the driving force behind the creation of Torchwood, when Queen Victoria became so indignant with the attitude of the Doctor and Rose that she banished the Doctor from her Empire forever. Coupled with Rose's growing romantic infatuation with the Doctor, we end up with the scene in this episode where a horrified Jackie watches Rose running eagerly about the TARDIS using the console and warns her that she can't continue to live this freewheeling, ungrounded lifestyle. That might sound a rather cruel or limited approach to life and hardly the type of thing you should be saying to your daughter, but Jackie is detached enough to realize what Rose has been deluding herself about (and that the Doctor explicitly told her) - the Doctor will just keep on keeping on as Rose herself quickly grows older and older, and before she knows it she'll have thrown her life away in pursuit of a love that can never and will never be. What happens when Rose is 70 years old and doddering around in an alien marketplace, and the Doctor either looks exactly the same as he does now or has regenerated into another entirely new body? If she doesn't have the relationship she wants with the Doctor and she has lost complete touch with what it means to be an ordinary human, then what does she have? It would have been lovely to see this scene get a little more time, or to hear Rose articulate her own arguments better. Perhaps Rose thinks the trade-off would be worth it if she could spend 50-70 years traveling space and time and seeing things no human has seen before, even if it does come at the expense of her ability to ever feel a sense of commonality with any other human being. Regardless, Jackie's concern is a legitimate one, she understands that Rose wants to be with the Doctor romantically and that this is something that simply is NOT going to happen, and she fears all the "ordinary" things that her only child is potentially throwing away.

Rose opens the episode with cryptic remarks about how this is the story of her death, which is problematic in that I'm sure not a single person who watched the episode thought she was going to die (I certainly didn't at the time) even if they did know she was leaving the show. It's designed to hook the viewer in and get them to watch the following week, but that's kinda unnecessary considering the episode ends on the GREATEST cliffhanger that the revival has ever done, and possibly that has EVER been done on the show. I have no idea how much if anything people knew about what was coming up, but within the context of the show itself I think it was masterfully handled how they put the Cybermen front and center as the bad guys. At first it seemed as if the Cybermen were being set up for a modern take on stories like The Invasion, which couldn't quite help but come across as a slightly underwhelming and watered-down version of the big finale from season one. The new Cybermen introduced in season 2 were okay, but I remember thinking when it was revealed (in the next time trailer!) that the Cybermen were the villains, feeling a little let-down by the whole thing. And that's the great thing, this episode is all about a series of letdowns - from Torchwood's arrival to the reveal of the Cybermen, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the scope of the threat - I just didn't particularly find the idea of these easily defeated, primitive alternate versions of the original Cybermen invading the planet all that compelling. But all throughout the episode there's this thing sitting in the basement that defies all conceptions of what is possible, with only the Doctor able to describe what it is and even then only in theoretical terms, as it is something that he believes isn't possible to create. What is it? What is inside it? Where did it come from? Nobody knows the answers to those questions (a returning Mickey posits it probably has a "Cyber-Emperor" or something inside) and as the story builds to its climax the Doctor finally asks the Cybermen.... and gets told they don't know either. And that's when it happens, as the Cybermen theme fades and a new, different, very familiar theme tune begins to build. The Sphere opens, silhouettes appear, Mickey notes that the things inside are NOT Cybermen, and then the most perfect bit of characterizing dialogue you're ever likely to hear in this show are heard.

Motherfucking Daleks holy poo poo! posted:

LIFEFORMS DETECTED!

EXTERMINATE!

EXTERMINATE!

EXTERMINATE!

Floating down from out of the sphere appear four Daleks, screeching for genocide, Rose and Mickey and Dr. Singh backing away in horror as the camera cuts to a close-up on the Dalek eye-stalk and the credits roll and the theme song blares. It's... it's perfection, just utterly glorious in not just its upping of the "holy poo poo" stakes, or in its masterful use of the musical themes, but in the very words they say, as good as anything the Daleks were ever written to declare. Just consider it - these Daleks have been trapped inside a sphere between realities, they've just returned to their own universe and sat unmoving for who knows how long, and now they're out and what is the first thing they declare? That it is time to kill everything! Why? Not because the location is Earth and the inhabitants are considered a threat, but because the location is ANYWHERE and there are non-Dalek lifeforms there. The location is irrelevant, the lifeforms are irrelevant, that they simply are is enough for the Daleks to hate them and want to kill them. As the series continued, the Daleks would continue to be watered down and diluted through the RTD era, then slightly redeemed during the Moffat era though never quite reaching their former glory. Here though, in this cliffhanger and the episode that followed, we'd be looking at old school unrelenting and terrifying Daleks. Not hybrids, not insane or corrupted or sick or in a state of desperation - Daleks at full power with no concept that their Empire has been destroyed, ready to kick off the old wave of conquest once again. I can never rave about this cliffhanger enough, I think it it one of the best moments that RTD ever provided us.

This story also sees the inner workings of Torchwood revealed, and it's an admirable if ultimately failed effort to subvert expectations by turning the shadowy organization into a modern office environment complete with romances; a "casual, relaxed" environment; and a breezy and smooth-talking Commander who acts and dresses more like a CEO/Businesswoman than the head of a virtual army. Unfortunately, in the process Torchwood ends up coming across as utterly nonthreatening and breathtakingly incompetent. They are so easily infiltrated and overcome that you'd almost think it was intended for them to be a bit of a joke... except in the same episode they play up just how effectively Torchwood has managed to keep themselves completely out of the public, private, official and unofficial eye - they're simultaneously a deadly shadow operation AND a bunch of morons who are effectively doing a more "patriotic" version of Van Statten's collection of alien artifacts in Dalek. After being momentarily on the back foot, the Doctor VERY quickly gets into their heads and is soon effectively running things, even though they were created with the express purpose of stopping him from doing things like that and have spent the last 100 years preparing for this moment (and MUST have plenty of notes on his modus operandi from his time as UNIT's scientific adviser). Torchwood are a disappointment, after all the build-up over season 2 about how deep their influence spreads, when we finally meet them they're basically easily duped morons with an insane lack of self-awareness of just how stupid they're being. They find a rip in space/time, figure out how to force it open and when ghostly shapes start appearing in large numbers (eventually growing to millions!) all over the planet their reaction is to KEEP DOING IT!?! Again, you'd think that it was deliberate to show them as incompetent, but then in the same episode you have things like Dr. Singh catching Rose out using psychic paper or Yvonne Hartman quite justifiably criticizing the Doctor over that same presumed moral authority I've mentioned as a recurring theme of Tennant's run as the Doctor... by having Hartman and the Queen be the ones to criticize him for this, was it RTD trying to say it was WRONG to question the Doctor's presumed moral authority? There just seems to be a lack of a concrete idea of exactly what Torchwood is supposed to be, and I think part of the problem is that the idea was to have Torchwood be its own spin-off show and working backwards from there. Hints are dropped throughout the season of just how effective and far-reaching Torchwood are, and the ultimate goal was clearly to have a new "adult" show in the Doctor Who universe for RTD to play around in (as he would also do in the kid's area with The Sarah Jane Adventures), but that left them with only a couple of episodes to showcase what Torchwood WAS before moving on to what they wanted it to be. The lack of commitment one way or the other leaves nobody satisfied, and The Torchwood Institute ends up feeling like an afterthought, just like the Cybermen feel like a red herring for the real threat of the Daleks. In that sense, season 2's finale is retreading familiar (and successful!) ground by using the Daleks threatening Earth once again - that works because the next episode will end up doing to Rose what season 1's finale did to the 9th Doctor ("killing" her and leaving her changed forever), but it means both the Cybermen and Torchwood end up feeling like missed or squandered opportunities.

Army of Ghosts sets things up incredibly well for the season 2 finale, and features a number of very good character interactions and an absolutely fantastic cliffhanger. It also throws away a couple of potentially interesting situations in favor of going with old, familiar ones. RTD's penchant for reusing "monsters" but just wildly increasing the numbers of them is evident in hindsight, but at the time this all came together in a way that felt reasonable enough. Also while it doesn't feature the first ever crossover between Eastenders and Doctor Who, it is certainly the best so far!

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

Torchwood ends up coming across as utterly nonthreatening and breathtakingly incompetent.

When taken out of context like this, it's hard to decide whether you're talking about the Torchwood in Doctor who, Torchwood - the show or Torchwood the Cardiff team :v:

To me Army of Ghosts/Doomsday got better in repeat viewings. At that point, when it originally aired I didn't really season 2 or David's Doctor that much and I was uninterested in the 10/Rose 'Romance', so I think a lot of the good points went over my head.

Also that Ghostbusters scene was loving terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

There just seems to be a lack of a concrete idea of exactly what Torchwood is supposed to be, and I think part of the problem is that the idea was to have Torchwood be its own spin-off show and working backwards from there. Hints are dropped throughout the season of just how effective and far-reaching Torchwood are, and the ultimate goal was clearly to have a new "adult" show in the Doctor Who universe for RTD to play around in (as he would also do in the kid's area with The Sarah Jane Adventures), but that left them with only a couple of episodes to showcase what Torchwood WAS before moving on to what they wanted it to be.

I misread this as "and the ultimate goal was clearly to have a new "adult" show in the Doctor Who universe for RTD to play around in (as he would with The Sarah Jane Adventures". :D

Because, seriously, while I'm actually not surprised that the fluffy show for kids turned out better than the supposed "mature adult" take on Who, it remains mind-boggling just how much better it was. I don't know. Maybe it's my abiding nostalgia for The Demon Headmster.

In any case, a good review of a (mostly) strong episode, looking forward to "Doomsday" when you get round to it.

I can't remember, though, which seasons have you not covered? Just three and four?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I can't remember, though, which seasons have you not covered? Just three and four?

Yeah, just 3 and 4........ and 1-26 :getin:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think a big part of the success of that cliffhanger was because they played it very smart. They knew they were sitting on a good reveal, and kept it as secret as they possibly could. No references to anything about the Daleks beforehand, no notable casting calls (since every single member of the Cult of Skaro is Nick Briggs doing different voices), and the fact that final shot was CGI meant there were a minimum of people who could leak it. Even at the press screening of the episode, they edited out the ending so nobody could spoil it. They went the extra mile in making sure nobody would tell anyone, which was a lot easier back then since social media hadn't yet become much of a thing.

Fun fact: While it isn't a massive deal now, Army of Ghosts was the first time the Daleks and Cybermen had actually appeared in the same episode. So that was probably another layer that made the cliffhanger even better: This had never happened before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

Fun fact: While it isn't a massive deal now, Army of Ghosts was the first time the Daleks and Cybermen had actually appeared in the same episode. So that was probably another layer that made the cliffhanger even better: This had never happened before.

They do both appear in The Five Doctors, but the Dalek there is basically a cameo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The moment where they first confront each other is one of my favourite moments in Doctor Who :allears:.

"YOU-ARE-SUPERIOR-IN-ONE-ASPECT."
"YOU-DIE-BETTER!"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have no idea how proud I am that that song was number one on my birthday.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Got cable this week, for the first time since moving to the US about six years ago. I have to say, it's really kinda weird watching Doctor Who with commercial breaks.

Well, I'm glad you're able to watch it at all, but... you're like watching 99% of Doctor Who. They do cut it to make room for said commercial breaks. Yes, its only a little bit here and there, but you're relying on some editor to know what's "important" or not.

On the other hand, if that's the only way you're able to watch, you get what you can take. But, in my opinion, if there are other ways you can watch Doctor Who, I would encourage you to do so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Nice to see Iris Wildthyme supporting the Doctor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pop-art Colin Baker on a city bus.

I never thought I'd live to see the day :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Pop-art Colin Baker on a city bus.

I never thought I'd live to see the day :allears:

It's still not quite as good as Iron Man pose C.Bakes from the advert.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I think a big part of the success of that cliffhanger was because they played it very smart. They knew they were sitting on a good reveal, and kept it as secret as they possibly could. No references to anything about the Daleks beforehand, no notable casting calls (since every single member of the Cult of Skaro is Nick Briggs doing different voices), and the fact that final shot was CGI meant there were a minimum of people who could leak it. Even at the press screening of the episode, they edited out the ending so nobody could spoil it. They went the extra mile in making sure nobody would tell anyone, which was a lot easier back then since social media hadn't yet become much of a thing.

When was the last time Doctor Who was able to pull off a surprise like that? Earthshock? Though I do remember everybody being abuzz at the end of The Stolen Earth thinking maybe all the talk of a year of specials had been a decoy to hide the fact that a new Doctor was going to appear in the final episode of season 4 :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I listened to the first half of Time Reef, and dammed if there weren't certain thematic elements that were awfully familiar...

quote:

Time Reef by Marc Platt
Oh.

quote:

Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible by Marc Platt
Oh.

:dance:

Ancient time travelling pioneers, Heroes sailing the reaches of space and fighting Spinxes, hearing the Prophecies of their Oracles who sit in smoke and spin the future, a TARDIS with it's interior dimensions scrambled and a strange world created from it? An old man who says he "was" a monster (The Ruhk) which appears to exist concurrently with him?

:getin:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Mortanis posted:

So, is there a lot of stealing of plots between Big Finish and the main show? With the Eighth Doctor, I just got to The Girl Who Never Was, and he tries to wipe Charley's mind so she never remembers her time with the Doctor to prevent her from dying, just like Journey's End and Donna. Except it came out over half a year earlier. I realize scripts are probably written for both ahead of time by a decent margin, but that's a bit on the nose.

The revived show also borrowed the notion of the time lock from Neverland, and I know that Rise of the Cybermen/Army of Steel is a loose "adaptation" of Spare Parts. People that work on Big Finish are also pretty heavily involved with the show (like Nick Briggs), so I'm guessing that there's a fair bit of idea sharing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Little known fact about Nick Briggs, he once phoned up RTD pretending to be the Terry Nation Estate and told RTD that if he didn't use the Daleks at least once a season he would lose the rights to them.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm willing to believe that :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm willing to believe that :allears:

:phone: Yes, hello! This is the Terry Nation Estate.
:raise: What, the whole thing? That doesn't even make any sen—
:phone: WHERE ARE THE DALEKS WHERE ARE THEY

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Little known fact about Nick Briggs, he once phoned up RTD pretending to be the Terry Nation Estate and told RTD that if he didn't use the Daleks at least once a season he would lose the rights to them.

I thought this was 100% confirmed truth.

Heft
Mar 31, 2010
I'm watching Time-Flight for the first time, currently in episode 3. It's....not great. Not a complete loss, though. On a related note, I thought Adric started out as a perfectly fine character, especially grouped with Four and Romana. Swapping Four with the less-imposing Five and also Romana with Nyssa and (especially) Tegan pretty much ruined him, though. Tegan is at least as annoying as Adric, and the two of them together was just about unbearable.

Also, Big Finish has ten stories on sale this weekend that all include some well known guest star. I've gotten most of my Big Finish recommendations from lurking this thread and that's worked out okay so far. Any of these considered to be particularly good or bad? http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/special-offers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heft posted:

On a related note, I thought Adric started out as a perfectly fine character, especially grouped with Four and Romana. Swapping Four with the less-imposing Five and also Romana with Nyssa and (especially) Tegan pretty much ruined him, though.

You're absolutely spot-on that Adric was a far more interesting and tolerable character when he was paired with Tom, but he just didn't fit in with the younger, less imposing Davison (who worked as the Doctor for entirely different reasons than Tom did).

But Tegan ruled :colbert:

Heft
Mar 31, 2010
Tegan just seems rather...shrill. Although I admit Time-Flight is my first story with Tegan and not Adric, and she is easier to deal with already. She just seemed to complain a lot, which was understandable but also tedious.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Heft posted:

I'm watching Time-Flight for the first time, currently in episode 3. It's....not great. Not a complete loss, though. On a related note, I thought Adric started out as a perfectly fine character, especially grouped with Four and Romana. Swapping Four with the less-imposing Five and also Romana with Nyssa and (especially) Tegan pretty much ruined him, though. Tegan is at least as annoying as Adric, and the two of them together was just about unbearable.

Also, Big Finish has ten stories on sale this weekend that all include some well known guest star. I've gotten most of my Big Finish recommendations from lurking this thread and that's worked out okay so far. Any of these considered to be particularly good or bad? http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/special-offers

45 is fantastic and introduces the best villain Doctor Who has ever had, especially on audio.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I could never really get on board with Tegan. She just wanted to go home the entire time and really wanted nothing to do with anything. I know other companions sort of started like that, including Barbara, Ian and Sarah Jane, but they eventually sort of learned to have fun. Tegan was perpetually annoyed and terrified.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keep in mind the circumstances of Tegan's introduction to the Doctor and what happened over the course of her journeys with him - she's ready to start a new and exciting part of her life when she's thrown into this chaotic universe-ending situation, witnesses this bizarre man die and regenerate and then gets hauled along through one crisis after another where if she isn't greeted by death and destruction at each turn, she's having her mind and soul possessed by unfathomable evil, or learning that her Aunt has been murdered, or watching her friend/companion get murdered by Cybermen. By the time she has watched all those Daleks and humans kill each other she's just had enough.

There was never really any point where she would have (or should have) felt all that comfortable or relaxed traveling with the Doctor (well, maybe when they stopped off at the Eye of Orion?), and even then after she rips him a new one and walks away she rushes back having apparently changed her mind only to find the Doctor has gone.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Saw Oculus last night (solid B+ horror movie, the plot would have been right at home in the Hinchcliffe years) and I will say this for Karen Gillen - not once last night did I see her on screen and think of Amy Pond.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Saw Oculus last night (solid B+ horror movie, the plot would have been right at home in the Hinchcliffe years) and I will say this for Karen Gillen - not once last night did I see her on screen and think of Amy Pond.

Oh that's good to know. I'm looking forward to seeing her turn in Guardians of the Galaxy too. Glad to know she's actually got range.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Heft posted:

From that list, I'd recommend Forty-Five (Good guest starts, nice loosely-linked set of stories, andNOBODY NOONE) and Son of the Dragon (good historical - makes Vlad the Impaler a relatable character and kinda likable).

I've listened to Industrial Evolution and while I don't remember much about it, it IS part of the Thomas Brewster stories and I tend to get those all mixed up in my head. Time Reef, mentioned above, is actually the only Brewster story that I can correctly match the plot to the story (I really liked Time Reef)....so I would save this one for lower down the priority list, personally.

I'm a sucker for David Warner, and I haven't listened to any Lost Stories before...how is Children of Seth?

DoctorWhat posted:

45 is fantastic and introduces the best villain Doctor Who has ever had, especially on audio.

MAD? I'M FUUURRRIIIOUUUSSS! OK, I know that's from Death in the Family but my FAVORITE bit involving everyone's favorite Word Lord

I was a little disappointed with Benedict Cumberbatch's performance - didn't translate to audio very well, or maybe I was going in with my expectations too high (probably the most A-list celebrity Big Finish has ever had, now that he has "made it") but I just kinda left with an overall feeling of "meh". Then the story in Antarctica kicked off and we're back in awesome mode.

edit: I was spending time digging through the cast lists and checking Wikipedia to see where these actors are from, when there was a convenient cheat sheet right on the side of the page...duh.

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This reminds me, do we have a set date as to when S8 is debuting? I heard around August.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Heft posted:

I'm probably going to pick up Forty-Five, but is Medicinal Purposes with David Tennant any good?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm probably going to pick up Forty-Five, but is Medicinal Purposes with David Tennant any good?

Not... really? It's part of a trilogy of Six+Evelyn stories linked by a forgettable villain and is really mean-spirited.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Not... really? It's part of a trilogy of Six+Evelyn stories linked by a forgettable villain and is really mean-spirited.

Yeah, I got that vibe too. I kind of liked its semi-sequel, Assassin in the Limelight, though it probably ran on a bit long and ceased to make sense about halfway through.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Ah, all right then. I'll either pass it over or just buy it for David Tennant anyway. Does he have a big role in it?

Any of the other superstars must-haves?

Also is this Big Finish for a Fiver thing new or just something I never noticed? It's easy to miss things with the way their website is designed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

David's role is okay-sized and recognizable but he plays a Boo Radley-type "touched in the head" character so that might not be to your taste.

ANYWAY, speaking of Big Finish, EVERYBODY in this thread should drop the 5-ish bucks on Benjamin & Baxter. It's a two-hour interview session with Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter, AKA Henry Gordon Jago and Professor George Litefoot, and it's fascinating - they're both around 80 years old, and their stories about their careers, or about Baxter navigating the English theater circuit while he was still considered a criminal just for his sexual orientation - it's a fantastic listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

McGann posted:

I'm a sucker for David Warner, and I haven't listened to any Lost Stories before...how is Children of Seth?

I haven't heard it either, but one should never let a good offer on a David Warner audio pass by. This is one of the few rules I can say I have dutifully followed all my life.

Speaking of Warner, he also plays Sir Isaac Newton in the excellent Circular Time anthology, which is also on offer this month for three pounds on download. I'd definitely recommend picking that one up - all of the four stories in that are good fun, but the two Paul Cornell ones are absolutely beautiful.

• Locked thread