Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

Have any Americans received their Dark Eyes 2 discs yet?

They were released last week. It takes, on average, about a week and half, two weeks for US delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

f has a sale on the first four series of Jago & Litefoot, plus the CC "The Mahogany Murderers" and the two disc interview "Benjamin & Baxter" (which I highly recommend).

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-weekend-special-offer

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I know Big Finish use quite a few images from the new series, but can they actually use any of the ideas/themes/monsters from it? If not are they basically building up to the Time War only to never actually deal with it/call it that?

Nope. And the only images they used were the new Daleks for Gallifrey VI and the undisguised TARDIS from "The Name of the Doctor", and they had to ge a special, one-off permission for that. They occasionally slipped something in (the 9th Doctor in "The Kingmaker", and psychic paper in "Paper Cuts", but no, they're expressly forbidden from referencing the new series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there any news regarding them getting the license? The previous company that had them went bankrupt and before Christmas Big Finish kept teasing some big news that unless I missed it never came. Also Moffat loves them so it seems he'd be able to throw some weight around in their favour.

BF would love to have it, and Tennant has said he'd come back, but my guess is they probably wouldn't even begin to negotiate until their current license expires in 2016.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still say they should have had Katy Manning do it :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would Mondasian and Cybus Cybermen be hostile toward each other? Everyone always mentions Spare Parts, but I also loved The Silver Turk. A small band of Cybermen raised hell in that one. I'd love to see the two kinds meet in a story.

I'm in the middle of Eyes of The Master, couple questions, but what stories do Liv and the Eminence come from originally?

Liv's from "Robophobia", and the Eminence's is from "Seeds of War". But their first appearance is "Destroy the Infinate!" Which isn't out yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Alright, maybe I'll give it another go. I've listened to audios worse than this all the way through, but the characterization of Six just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Nah, you can skip it. Actually skip anything by Robert Ross, "Pier Pressure", "Medicinal Purpose", and "Assassin in the Limelight". With the first two, I though the problem was they were just too long, but the third one is only 100 minutes, and it's still so boring.

Though mind you, "Pier Pressure" does have a nice "cameo". Set in Brighton in the 1936, comedian Max Miller has a actor fawning over him. An actor called "Billy".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish has tried to get a Star Trek license in the past, the idea being it would be a wholly original ship with a original crew, but Paramount wasn't interested. They also tried to get the license for James Bond as well, but nothing came of that either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

BF are doing another Seventh Doctor boxset! This time it's New Adventures themed, so he's with Ace and Benny.

They're also doing an adaptation on "The Highest Science". I'm disappointed by this though. Benny is, without a doubt, the worst companion, and the New Adventures were such crap.

I just realized why I hate the Fifth Doctor audio "Nekromentia" so much. It is like a lost New Adventure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd never be embarrassed by Varos, Fenric, or Remembrance and neither should you be!

Here's something I've been pondering. Jason Connery was in Varos, so does that mean Sean Connery has seen Varos?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So apparently, when prompted at a con this weekend, Fraizer Hines said the Marco Polo had been found.

He later tweeted, clarifying, "What I said was there was a mark on my polo.'

Oh Frazier, :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

I wouldn't read too much into Frazier's comments. I heard someone from the restoration team once describe these kind of thingsin a way that made a lot of sense to me:

• A rumor starts that an episode has been found.
  • Someone at a con or whatever goes up to a cast member and says "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • The cast member tells someone else "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • Suddenly, the story is no longer just another rumor. Now the story is "Frazier Hines/Wendy Padbury/Whoever says that Marco Polo has been found".

No, I just love Frazier. Last year, he teased the finds about Web/Enemy by saying the missing stories both contained the word "The" in them.

And when he was assassinated just as he was about reveal them.

The man loves to have fun with his fans.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

I was going to say maybe he was just visiting the set, but he's in costume...:crossarms:

Unless he's just like Syl and wears Doctorish clothes all day err day.

But mostly

as well!

Pretty much exactly how I got into the CCs. I've heard both Helicon Prime and Glorious Revolution and they were great. I swear you can see Troughton when Hines does the voice. :allears: He's getting better with each one too! I also like how Frazier plays both his older self, and the younger voice. It's deft voice acting to be sure.

Next up in that range I'll be doing "Emperor of Eternity" which should be a real treat, because it has both Hines and Deborah Watling!

I also started Cobwebs today for the beginning of the 5/Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough series and it's pretty good so far. It takes place right after Enlightenment so we get to actually hear some real emotional reactions from Tegan about Turlough and the Black Guardian. Davison is really nailing it in these audios as he was in the last Peri/Erinem ones I heard as far as doing a younger voice. If anything, Janet Fielding is a little rusty, and I'm not actually sure why they bother aging Nyssa so much, as she's been played as younger in other audios. But it's a nice return to a classic crew and I love Nyssa's robot friend. :3:

Heads up, In "Emperor", Debbie does all the main narration, since it's her story, so it's her playing Troughton, not Frazier.

And in "Cobwebs", while it's only been a few days for the Doctor and crew since Nyssa left the TARDIS in "Terminus", it's been decades for her since she's last seen them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

Ah, that's weaksauce then. I might skip that one. Kinda lame choice on BF's part not to let Frazier do his thing when he's right there.

And I knew about that in Cobwebs, I'm just not sure why from a narrative perspective then needed to make her 50 years older. It was just
;-*: "Wow, Nyssa, you got old!"
:downs:: "Yeah, I know!"
and it didn't really affect the plot at all.

But it was a really, really good audio. BF really does get better as it goes along.

Well, not yet.

You know "Cobwebs" is the first of twelve stories?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Perhaps not that far, but maybe the first couple of Totally Not Dr. Who, Swear on Me Mum shorts where Peri Ms. Brown is allowed to wear actual clothes.

Don't worry, they made up for it in one of them, with Sophie Aldred wearing a body suit that made her look naked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McGann posted:

Well, time to go find a copy of Mindgame. I think that's the one with the leopard leotard thing, right?

edit: WOW, I should never have gone looking for that. I found some pretty terrifying fake sex photoshops (like with the zombie things from Fenric, for example..). Goddamn you, internet/fandom.

More than a Messiah, actually. And yeah, I did the Google thing too. :blecch:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Renzian posted:

ESPECIALLY Academy Award winner Hans Zimmer

And Colin?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing that bugged me about Waters of Mars. The Doctor explains to Brooke that the Dalek that she saw as a child didn't murder her because it recognized that Brooke's death on Mars in 2059 is a fixed point in history... but if the Daleks intended to be successful in their invasion of Earth, then wouldn't that have prevented humanity from reaching Mars in the first place?

This leads to two possibilities. Either the Daleks knew they were going to lose, or that Dalek was going to come back with a cage of some sort, transport 6 year old Brooke to Mars in 2059 and then throw a meteor at her to preserve the fixed point. WHICH ONE IS MORE LIKELY!? :psyduck:

Knowing the Daleks? The second one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

but has anyone heard Quinnis? The idea of hearing a pre-Unearthly Child One/Susan story sounds good and hey, Marc Platt. Just wondering if it's worth it?

It's really good. Go ahead and pick it up. You might be interested in "The Beginning" as well. Also by Platt, it's the story of The Doctor and Susan's very first trip in the TARDIS.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Again, is anyone having trouble buying stuff from Big Finish? When I go to buy something, it keeps saying that the bank is not authorizing the purchase with my credit card even though I have used it for other things just fine. I never had this problem with them before.

Bicyclops posted:

I use a credit card that has to verify it's a "foreign transaction" since I'm in the U.S. You might want to give your bank a call or try a different card.

KineticCapitalist posted:

I had this same problem, I called my bank and they said they had blocked all transactions to the UK because of scams or something. So now every time I want to order something I have to call the bank first.

Astroman posted:

FWIW I've had zero issues from BF doing my purchasing. In fact a couple years ago I had to put in a special passcode to use my card, but that went away. It's always worked well for me.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I had that problem the first time I ordered from them. But I called my bank and straightened it out. No problems ever since. At this point, I order something from Big Finish about once a week.

I have the same problem. It's your bank. I've tried setting up authorization to let BF purchases go through, but it never seems to work. I always have to call before I make a transaction.

The bank ALWAYS questions BF purchases as being suspicious, despite the fact that I've ordered from them numerous times a year for the last 13 years, but they always seem to drop the ball on other suspicious activity.

"What, another transaction to Big Finish? Half a dozen times a year, every year, for the last decade, that's strange! Freeze his card! Wait, this charge from Vietnam, when Davros1 has never left the US? That must be legit! Let it through!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The most interesting thing is "The Holy Terror" was initially written for Tom Baker, trying to get him involved with Big Finish. I'm glad it went to Colin, but I bet the version with Tom would have been cool to hear. (Mind you, the only place I've heard that it was written for Tom instead of Colin was in one of these threads.)

When it was a Tom script, it was originally written that the people of the castle would think The Doctor was a god, not the companion. Gary Russell thought the idea of being fawned over as a living god might appeal to Tom.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Some other early BF scripts were also pitched for Tom to begin with, I remember The Stones of Venice being one but don't know if there were more.

"The Spectre of Lanyon Moor" was the third.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Trivia, the guy who wrote Nekromantia is the same guy who's in charge of the company that's done animation for several DVD releases (The Reign of Terror, and The Moonbase(?))

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So somewhere else on the web, there's ongoing discussion about the rumors of the discovery of missing episodes. So guess who turned up to grace them with his presence?

Ian Levine. And oh, boy, what a . . . personality. He keeps screaming (and I mean screaming. He frequently posts in ALL CAPS) about how much he hates Phillip Morris (the man who found Web and Enemy) by claiming that he has all the missing episodes and refuses to return them because reasons? while constantly reminding everyone how he saved so many episodes. The vitriol he displays is quite something to behold.

It's . . . interesting, to say the least. Especially since there's another person posting who I wouldn't be surprised to find out is Levine under a different username.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Your duty is to screencap choice cuts and report back.

Ian Levine posted:

How can you forgive someone who you know has held on to episodes for over four years.

I gave everything back and asked for nothing in return.

I expected the same from Philip Morris. I don't begrudge him making money from them, I begrudge the interminable delays for no good reason.

Ian mentioning his returns count: 1

Ian Levine posted:

Don't be so drat phucking STUPID.

If the man spends five years and all his money finding episodes, then sits on them and won't co-operate in returning them, HOW THE PHUCK could I make things any worse than they already are ??

At least by exposing the injustice, people might start to ask questions.

Otherwise it becomes like the McCarthyism of the 1950s. Everyone scared to speak the truth, everyone scared to say ANYTHING.

Well I am not scared.
And I can still enjoy the Loose Cannon recons even if he sits on his precious film cans for the next thirty years.
Maybe if he sits on them long enough, he'll get blisters on his arse.

Missing episodes = MCCARTHYISM! Also "phucking"? Also, Ian's out there TELLING IT LIKE IT IS when no one else will! He's practically a martyr!

Ian Levine posted:

I don't care if the BBC give him ten million quid.
That's not the issue.
I care that he is sitting on them and I know that the BBC do want them back.

A price was agreed for the nine episodes.

Why can't he return the rest ?? For the same price pro-rata ??

I HATE HIM.

I hate him more than I can put into words of blood.

He is my antithesis and in my humble opinion, despite returning the nine episodes, for which I "WAS" very grateful, he is an utter disgrace in the way he has acted.

Morris is the Master to Levine's Doctor!

Ian Levine posted:

The biggest problem here is that the more we talk about Philip Morris, the more he laughs at us, and the more we play right into his hands.

How would we be playing into his hands? Doesn't matter! We just are!

Ian Levine posted:

Look - I am TELLING you....

None have been restored yet, and they are indeed ALL JUST SITTING THERE DOING NOTHING.

Why do you think I am so angry, after a lifetime of trying to locate and secure and return missing episodes ??
THIS makes me wanna spit blood.

Ian mentioning his returns count: 2

In response to his feelings about Morris:

Ian Levine posted:

Nothing but hate - correct.

Despite what J.R. Southall has just posted on facebook.

He's a nice chap but he is gullible, and he can see no wrong, and the hordes blindly agreeing with him will eventually come to learn that I have been telling the truth all along.

I feel exactly like Binro The Heretic.

Yes, he just compared himself to a character from Who.

Ian Levine posted:

That is now over five years ago.

FIVE YEARS !!!!!

Did I wait five years to return The reign Of Terror, The Time Meddler, The War Machines ??

I didn't even wait five weeks.

Ian mentioning his returns count: 3

Ian Levine posted:

ABSO-PHUCKING-LUTELY

And therein lies the problem in a nutshell.

And the reason I can't let it rest.

I am far from convinced about his motives, and if I myself had behaved like he has recently behaved, way back in the 1980s, when I found all those missing episodes, I would have been considered public enemy number one. Morally he has no right to withhold these lost classics for such a pathetically long time. Imagine if I had said "I'm not returning The Reign Of Terror, or The War Machines, or The Time Meddler, not until my search is complete - then you'd all still be waiting for them to this day. The door swings both ways you know. THANK GOD, THANK GOD INDEED, that I did not behave in such an awful and cavalier manner.

Ian mentioning his returns count: 4

This following one is in response to a poster who has spend a while telling posters on the board that they shouldn't doubt a single thing Levine has said/has ever said, and frankly, seems to think the sun shines out of Levine's rear end. In fact, he's such a sycophant, I wouldn't be surprised if he was Levine.

Ian Levine posted:

I have to say this, and I do mean what I am about to say most sincerely.

I am sorry that others have criticised you, and I don't know you or your real name, but to me personally, you have a grasp of the situation that is outstanding.

Others fawn and hope and wait and discuss ridiculously false rumours, while you and I both have the acumen to see what is REALLY going on here.

Yes it is crazy. And it is most definitely NOT a good crazy.

For forty years of my life I have tried to save these episodes. Can you imagine what this bullsh!t is doing to me ?? Can you BEGIN to comprehend my angst ???

I always always said the worst ever possible scenario was if missing episodes ended up in the hands of someone with their own agenda.

And now look what has happened.

I find myself tragically and heartbreakingly wishing he'd never found them in the first place - I would most certainly be a much happier man these days if that had been the case.

I always thought finding missing episodes would be a joyous occasion.
But it's been curdled like pouring vinegar into fresh milk.

And then there was this one, in response to someone asking for his autograph if any more missing episodes are returned in the next two months, (though why anyone would want his autograph?):

Ian Levine posted:

If any more of Philip's Dr Who episodes are released on iTunes in the next 2 months, I'll give you a phucking blow job.

And mods, if posting this violates any rules, please delete as you see fit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is there something I'm not getting, or he really actually writes loving as "phucking"?

I only lurk there, not post, so I don't know if it's "autocorrect" like here on the SA forums with "gently caress/gently caress" or not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

At the end of the day what everybody needs to remember is, as fantastic as it would be to have all the missing episodes restored, it's just a television show. If you ever find yourself getting so fired up over the "politics" of Doctor Who fandom then it is time to take a step back.

That said, gently caress Mugabe :colbert:

Someone was trying to tell Levine that, but I think he just ignored them.

I think what really pisses off Levine was that he had the opportunity to go to these places years ago, but he didn't think there would be anything to find, so he didn't. He also had the chance to fund someone going there in his stead, but Levine refused unless the person could "guarantee" that they'd bring back Who. When they couldn't, of course, he said no. It probably eats at him every day.

Then there were rumors that Morris was getting ready to return lost Morcombe and Wise episodes, which set him off. Why is Morris returning these, and not Doctor Who? Levine doesn't want to see M&W.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 9, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Android Blues posted:

If he was sitting on them, presumably it'd be in order to negotiate a sale price for them. That seems reasonable enough to me if it's the case, he doesn't owe a duty to Queen and Country to hand them over as royal bounty.

But Levine did it! So everybody else has to do it his way too!

But seriously, there's a lot of speculation going around as to why they haven't been returned. Indeed, if there are even episodes to returned. All the evidence towards the so-called existence of these missing episodes if basically a variation of "someone at the BBC told me". That's it. No first hand, eye witness accounts. One of Levine's sources is BBC Wiltshire D.J. But they all swear by their sources as being legit.

Just for interest, here's a couple of reports I've picked up over the last couple of months

quote:

Marco Polo: Found in Ethiopia and possibly also Hong Kong by Phil Morris, over 200 cans found in the country. An alternate Mirror report suggests found in the UK, recorded off air on 16mm film. Either way, restoration extensive and problematic. 2013 release, possible March 2014 DVD release.
Reign of Terror: Found in Ethiopia and Hong Kong.
The Crusade: Found in Ethiopia, one report suggests Phil Morris hinted at its recovery.
Galaxy 4: Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa, reports vary on location as either Ghana, Zambia or Kenya. Prints from Singapore sent to the hub, explaining finds of episodes never shown in Africa.
Mission to the Unknown: No information, not found.
The Myth Makers: Rumored to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release. Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa.
The Daleks Masterplan: Episodes 4, 7, 11 and 12 found in the UK as off air fan recordings, possibly leading to confusion with Marco Polo in the Mirror article. Alternatively some reports suggest the whole story was found. Potential 2014 DVD release.
The Massacre: Rumored to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release, possibly April. Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Celestial Toymaker Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. Release in 2014, possible “second wave” announcement.
The Savages: Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Smugglers: Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Tenth Planet 4: Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. There was some consternation over the recent DVD release and some description of contract issues. Possibly resides with the BFI.
The Power of the Daleks: Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. Either amongst the initial releases in 2014 or the final release in 2016.
The Highlanders: Found in Hong Kong.
The Underwater Menace: Found in Hong Kong. Released on DVD in May 2014.
The Moonbase: The Moonbase will certainly feature Planet 55′s animation and a commentary has been recorded for the DVD by Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines, there is no indication yet it will feature missing episodes yet it’s entirely possible they could easily be added to the release without any further disruption to the DVD schedule. The animation would still need to be present for contractual reasons. Released on DVD in January 2014. Found in Hong Kong.
The Macra Terror: Rumored to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release. Found in Hong Kong.
The Faceless Ones: Found in Hong Kong. Release in 2014, possible “second wave” announcement.
The Evil of the Daleks: Found in Hong Kong. Possible 2014 DVD release.
The Abominable Snowmen: Differing reports, either not found, found in part or found entirely at BPTV in Nigeria. Possible 2014 DVD release if so.
The Ice Warriors: No information. Not found.
The Web of Fear: Episode 3 has been recovered, there are eyewitness reports on it being seen and it will be on the DVD release. The Web of Fear: will be released on DVD in February 2014.
Fury from the Deep: Found in Hong Kong.
The Wheel in Space: Reports suggest three episodes (1, 4, 5) found at BPTV in Nigeria, stuck at customs for a short time. Further reports suggest episode 2 found in Hong Kong.
The Invasion: Differing reports, some day found in Hong Kong, others say not found at all.
The Space Pirates: Differing reports, some day found in Hong Kong, others say not found at all, one report suggests only episode 3 found.

quote:

Season 1 & 2 - All episodes found, duplicates, probably most not needed. Total duplicates found is about 200.
Marco Polo - 2 copies found by Phil, 1 copy from a collector, all need to be combined to produce the best quality complete version. Don’t think we’ll get this in the next month or so (I know I’ve previously said all ready to go, but now think it will take a bit of work to get finally ready).
Reign of Terror - 4 & 5 found, all good copies, shouldn't be a problem to get ready at any time.
Crusade - Both missing episodes found, all 4 episodes back. Julian Glover was told it was back, but BEFORE 50th. He probably did meet Phil at the 50th, but knew before.
Time Meddler - Duplicate copy found, much better quality than we have, all complete.
Galaxy 4 - All 4 found, all complete, Duplicate of episode 3 should have ending so good news.
MTTU - Probably back, believe it was played in Singapore and shipped to Ghana for our friend Phil to pick it up and ship it back to the UK in 2011.
Myth Makers - All 4 found, rumor is 1 still missing, but good sources say all back, so I’ll go with them.
The Daleks Masterplan - DMP - ok, the biggie. I think 5 potential episodes that may be recovered (I’m disregarding the whole story found tale, but happy to be wrong on this one). 3 separate recoveries if the 5 episodes is right. All collectors and PV again, not Phil. All UK finds (no surprise). I’m not saying much more on this one, but there are bloody good stories on all these episodes, I might be an idiot to believe some of them, but I will post them as soon as I can. You really couldn’t make it up!
Massacre - All back, being prepared, restoration has at least started, may even have finished, think it has. DVD preparation was started in Nov.
Celestial Toymaker - All back, work started on this after the Massacre.
Savages - All back, not heard much specific on this story. No idea why, probably no reason to worry, just other titles taking priority I expect.
War Machines - All back, I expect they will be complete, so good news to complete the missing material from this story.
Smugglers - All found, starting to hear bits and pieces, so expect we will see it this year. I disregarding the stuff I heard about Molesworth doing some DVD extras as he has denied them, but other stuff makes me think it may be one of the titles they are starting to work on.
Tenth Planet - Episode 4 found, twice I hear. Imagine it, 2 copies after all this time. At least one copy found in the UK, linked to the BFI (don’t know in which capacity, may have been a lead of theirs). Don’t expect it soon, but it will be announced this year.
Power of the Daleks - All episodes found, 3 separate finds, probably all from collectors. Not a Phil find (hello PV!). At least one episode was in bits, so some material may still be missing. If they are, the gaps can be filled with some work, so we should be able to get the complete thing.
Highlanders - All complete, will probably be one of the last stories released.
UWM - All found, animation now stopped. Duplicates exist of the episodes of this story, DVD will be released with the original episodes, probably in the summer.
Moonbase - All found, DVD will have animation, move along, it will all come good. Dan Hall, thanks for your efforts to fill the gaps, despite the good news that it is probably not all needed, appreciate the effort!
Macra - All found, good source says being restored, so not long to wait for it I would expect.
Faceless Ones - All found, no real info on condition or anything else.
Evil - All found, all in great condition, bloody good source for this. VERY GOOD. You’d know the name.
Tomb - Hear a duplicate of this tale has been found, no idea if in better nick or what.
Abominable Snowmen - All found, water damage to some episodes. Should be fine, but will need specialist recovery to ensure it can be recovered.
Ice Warriors - Stories vary. Currently I think one episode found, one still missing. Lead found to episodes in Australia, so I’m hopeful on this one, fingers crossed on lead.
Web of Fear - Yes, episode 3 exists, not in bad condition, found same time as the rest by Phil. May not be on the DVD if the DVD release date doesn’t move, but this will be announced this year. Don’t know when, but it will be. (If it’s not, feel free to have a go!)
Fury - All found, great source on this one. VERY GOOD (and different source).
Wheel - All found, rumors were one may still be missing, but good sources say all back and Eddie at Skaro says it also and I’m a big Eddie fan, happy to go with him on this.
Invasion - Hear one found, one still missing. I think that is possible, but wouldn’t be surprised if both were still missing. However, there are good sources who think it’s both back. My feelings are one found/one missing based on the overall stuff I hear, with no-one being able to persuade me fully on any story regarding these episodes.
Space Pirates - I’m going with 2 episodes found. Some sources say all back, but I think 2 is more likely. I can live with 50% of the story as a worst case, that’s better than I expected a month ago.

quote:

Marco Polo - found, three copies seems to have been recovered, with the best possible compilation being made for restoration. Slated for release in the next announcement.
Reign of Terror - parts 4 and 5 found. No word on whether it's being restored or not. But I expect it to be released on iTunes in the next announcement.
Planet of Giants 3/4 - I did hear a rumor about the fourth part being found, but for now, I don't believe it.
The Crusade - found in full. Better prints of episode 1, at least. I expect them to be released in the next announcement.
The Time Meddler - duplicates are found, and better prints. I don't know when they'll release these new finds.
Galaxy 4 - found in full. Better prints for the existing episode. I do not know when they'll be released, but I hope it's the next announcement.
MTTU - reported to be found. I find this a bit hard to believe, but more likely than not.
Myth Makers - all reported to be found. Probably being worked on. I don't know when they'll be released, but I think it'll be in the next announcement.
DMP - okay. 4, 7, 11, and 12 reported to be found. 1, 3, 6, 8, and 9 are uncertain. 9 is reported to be a sole remaining missing episode, according to Eddie on OS. I'll believe when I see it, although 4, 7, 11, and 12 are likely. 11 and 12 are in the process of being unwound.
Massacre - all found. Should be restored already or in the process. Should be in the next announcement.
Celestial Toymaker - all found. Same as Massacre.
The Savages - all found. Unknown about being restored or not, but more likely than not. I hope that it's in the next announcement.
The Smugglers - all found. A highly likely title to be released in the next announcement, probably restored.
The Tenth Planet Part Four - found, twice. Not a TIEA find. Uncertain on when it'll be released.
Power of the Daleks - all six episodes found. Four of the six episodes have footage missing, but not significantly so. Likely to be one of the last releases.
Highlanders - all found. Some of the prints will need work, and may be low quality prints.
The Underwater Menace - all found. UWM 1 may have two prints. Animation was reported earlier to be canceled, but may start up again later. Uncertain on the status of restoration or release.
The Moonbase - all found. Uncertain on the status of restoration or release.
Macra Terror - all found. Being worked on or already restored. Uncertain if it will be in the next announcement.
Faceless Ones - all found. No other information.
Evil of the Daleks - all found. In excellent condition. Very, very good sources to confirm the recovery of this store. No word on restoration or release.
Tomb of the Cybermen - duplicates may have been found.
Abominable Snowmen - all found. Episodes 4 and 5 need work. Recoverable, though. Uncertain on status of restoration or release. Rumored to be part of a Yeti boxset.
Ice Warriors - all found. Episodes 2 and 3 were thought to be missing until very late into the omnirumor. No other information.
Web of Fear - all found. Episode 3 exists. No other information that can be shared at this time.
Fury from the Deep - all found. Very good sources for this story. Uncertain on status of restoration or release.
Wheel in Space - all found. No other information.
The Invasion - all found. Episodes 1 and 4 were thought to be missing until very late into the omnirumor.
The Space Pirates - all found. No other information.

TIEA is not the only entity that found missing episodes. There are other episode hunters.
Private collectors have been utilized.
BBCWW, BBC, BFI, and TIEA are all involved.
Hundreds of duplicates exist.
Non-DW finds will have a separate announcement.

Episodes from the following are said (read rumored) to be recovered or better copies of (I'm only putting down significant duplicates):

Marco Polo
The Reign of Terror
The Crusade
The Time Meddler
Galaxy 4
Mission to the Unknown
The Myth Makers
The Daleks' Master Plan
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve
The Celestial Toymaker
The Savages

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Those all pretty much read like wishful_thinking.txt to me

I particularly love the "found the original unedited episodes of 'Planet of Giants' 3 & 4". That right there pretty much puts the whole thing in doubt for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think that's from something else you didn't paste in

Nope, it's in the third quote!

Edit, although I did cut something short. :doh:

quote:

Non-DW finds will have a separate announcement.

Episodes from the following are said (read rumored) to be recovered or better copies of (I'm only putting down significant duplicates):

Marco Polo
The Reign of Terror
The Crusade
The Time Meddler
Galaxy 4
Mission to the Unknown
The Myth Makers
The Daleks' Master Plan
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve
The Celestial Toymaker
The Savages
The War Machines
The Smugglers
The Tenth Planet
Power of the Daleks
The Highlanders
The Underwater Menace
The Moonbase
The Macra Terror
The Faceless Ones
The Evil of the Daleks
The Abominable Snowmen
The Ice Warriors
The Web of Fear
Fury From the Deep
The Wheel in Space
The Invasion
The Space Pirates

Non-DW finds said to be recovered or have better copies of - and this is not exhaustive by a long shot:

Cushing Sherlock Holmes
Dad's Army
United
Morecambe and Wise
Steptoe and Son
Out of the Unknown
Troubleshooters
Public Eye
Counterstrike
Adam Adamant Lives
Dr. Finlays Casebook
Top of the Pops
Armchair Theatre

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mortanis posted:

So, is there a lot of stealing of plots between Big Finish and the main show? With the Eighth Doctor, I just got to The Girl Who Never Was, and he tries to wipe Charley's mind so she never remembers her time with the Doctor to prevent her from dying, just like Journey's End and Donna. Except it came out over half a year earlier. I realize scripts are probably written for both ahead of time by a decent margin, but that's a bit on the nose.

"House of Blue Fire" has Seven locked in a mysterious hotel where he and a few guests are tormented by their greatest fears. It came out the same year as "The God Complex".

The funny thing is, BF must get all their storylines/scripts approved by Cardiff before they can record. For example, Seven was supposed to have a story featuring Agatha Christie, and Cardiff said "Actually, we're doing a Christie one this year, so no."

And their sequel to their Doctor Who Unbound story "Sympathy for the Devil" was originally a story called "The Dark Palace", but Cardiff put the kabosh on that because it was too similar to a story the TV show was doing (don't know which one, however).

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 11, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

Horror of Glam Rock was pretty good. It could have been campy and OTT, but it was a nice little Base Diner Under Siege episode. I thought that manager sounded awfully familiar til I heard the CD extras and it turned out it was Bernard Cribbins!

Ironically he was one of the few actors they didn't ask in the interviews "would you like to be on the new show?" :laugh: It was probably a year or so before he actually was on the new show!

One thing that was a bit wild was how really into 70s rock the Eighth Doctor was ("1974! Glam Rock! David Bowie! T-Rex!"). Makes me want to hear a Companion Chronicle where Jo and Three go to see Bowie because there's actual Spiders From Mars sent by the Ice Warriors at one of his shows in a nefarious plan to take over the Earth. :allears:

Paul Magrs wrote an audio drama called "Vince Cosmos: Glam Rock Detective" set in the 70's about a Glam Rocker who is actually an alien who prevents an alien invasion of Earth. Katy Manning plays his P.A.'s landlady.

http://www.bafflegab.co.uk/detail-cosmos.asp

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The best thing about Tom is that he has not, will not, and never will, care about what he says.

Once, in an interview, after seeing Jurassic Park, he called Sam Neill the most boring actor in the world, and could bore for England.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Don't listen to these people. Avoid The Fearmonger and The Shadow of the Scourge. Both are done in the mold of Virgin's New Adventure line and suffer greatly for it. And goddamn Benny is the most obnoxious and infuriating character in Doctor Who history.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

To continue Leela’s education, the Doctor promises to take her to the famous Morovanian Museum. But the TARDIS lands instead in a quiet English village, where they meet the enigmatic collector Harcourt and his family.

The bit with the dog just might the greatest thing ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Big Finish had some kind of gift voucher or gifting system in place, I could tell my family to never worry about what to buy me for Christmas or Birthdays anymore.

They tried it in the past and it didn't work out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Elaborate?

They tried the gift voucher thing in the past, and no one bought them, I believe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

EDIT - Oh that actor really was American. Maybe he was overdoing the accent to sell better to a British audience... either way he as terribly written.

Nah, I noticed this effect: an American accent is extremely jarring on a audio when the rest of the cast is British.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Big Finish is doing it AGAIN!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/may-day-special-offer

#51 - #100 of the main range dirt cheap, one day only!

I was seriously hoping that it would be a repeat of last year's May Day sale, when EVERYTHING was on sale, even stuff yet to be released.

I already have 1-185 of the main range.

Just listened to "Moonflesh" (great story, by the way), and in the bonus interviews Peter and Sarah reveal an interesting little tidbit. For years, Janet Fielding declined to do BF for a variety of reasons. Now, however? Apparently she sends rude texts to Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton whenever they do one without her!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Any other recommendations for good audios from the one day sale (#51-100)? So far, all I've heard is 75% of 100...
The Natural History of Fear, The Axis of Insanity, The Next Life, The Juggernauts, Catch-1782, The Council of Nicaea, Thicker than Water, LIVE 34, Other Lives, Night Thoughts, The Kingmaker, The Settling, Something Inside, Memory Lane, No Man's Land, Frozen Time, Son of the Dragon

• Locked thread